Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#200750 Jan 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they seem to be up here in the North were we mature a little faster than the bible belt kids. You were still believing in Santa, elves, fairies, trolls and God, I'll bet. It doesn't take much reason to realize that worshipping a child murdering, baby killer, genocidal maniac is unreasonable, even if 12 years olds down there haven't developed the skepticism and reason necessary to demonstrate no such God of the bible could exist. Apparently you still haven't developed your reasoning skills, probably never will.
I don't live in the Bible Belt.

And I've never believed in Santa, elves, fairies or trolls.

Your assumptions stem from your bias.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200751 Jan 8, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
That verse has proven to, I would imagine millions, to be a lie......
It's more likely that it's been misunderstood by millions.

It's an individual supplication that is only brought forth through patience and obedience.

Give it time, God's in no rush.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200752 Jan 8, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was a good one..........
Me too. Thanks.

Catch can dish it out, but he sure can't take it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200753 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
Where is your Christian source that says that faith means " "Belief without evidence"?
What is a Christian source?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200754 Jan 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I was offended.
I wasn't offended personally--I'm quite secure as to who and what I am, and mockery of this sort is of no moment to me.
What I find offensive is your pattern of engaging in these sophomoric, ignorant and bigoted attempts at humor, usually aimed at homosexuals, or minorities, or women, or foreigners.
As I thought, your goal was to mock me. But that's so feeble and empty. What you do instead, by attempting to mock me by suggesting that I'm homosexual, is to demonstrate that you consider homosexuality to be something objectionable, or loathsome.
You sometimes say you want to learn, and that you have learned here. Unfortunately, this sort of attitude demonstrates that you have learned little, if anything at all.
Oh, now mocking is feeble and empty?!

Why do you do it so often?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200755 Jan 8, 2014
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
all it takes is one atheist to mop the floor with dozen of kristains!you loser
LLLL
Bring it on, bitch boy.

I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200756 Jan 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You mock homosexuals by believing that it's an abject abnormality.
Did I imply abject?

No, I haven't.

I've always said that I can accept homosexuality but never see it as normal. What I consider normal.

I haven't made any remarks negatively about gays, outside of jokes.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200757 Jan 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists don't need an army.
Onward Christian Soldier.
Yes, ma'am.

Wait, pack me a sammich.

I'll get hungry on my crusades.

Fennario

#200758 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
There is no evidence or reason to support atheism.
Sure there is, even though no evidence is necessary to reject a claim.

Fennario

#200759 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It wasn't the church that caused me to leave, at least not the congregations. It was the god. It failed to deliver on its promises, which made it clear that it didn't exist. After several years of a good faith effort, it was eventually no longer possible to suspend disbelief - something I did for the first several years of my Christian experience. I did that to give the god a chance to reveal itself if it existed, and for the apparent contradictions and errors in the scripture to become sensible with the passage of time. That never happened. There was clearly no holy spirit dwelling in people - no gifts of the spirit. And there was no protection from harm for the faithful, no answering of prayer. In short, there was no evidence of a god. So, with a fond farewell, the church and I parted ways. It wasn't until decades later that I came to see the problems with the church, first with the rise of the "moral majority," then with the Bush Jr.years, and finally with my Topix experience, which has been the most revealing.
Jay wrote:
So your limited personal experience led you to believe that all the beliefs in God that millions of people have had over the centuries is one giant deception?
Of course not. It's been several giant deceptions.

Fennario

#200761 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think I know where you went wrong. You never believed, not whole-heartedly anyway. Suspending your disbelief for a few years is vastly different than believing, even for a minute.
I didn't go wrong.

Where was your god?

Fennario

#200763 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It's obvious by the length of your post that you're offended, at least in some way. That was the whole point of my post. Not to mock homosexuals, but to mock you. It seems to have worked.
How has your religion made you a better person?

Fennario

#200765 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Very well. Then you'll have like six people in your mighty Topix Atheist! army.
We don't need an army. Your religion is self-destructing in the news.

Fennario

#200766 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ Topix atheists. Tinfoil hat time for you. Be sure to ground them.
You need to protect yourself from telluric currents and EM from space, right, Cadet Nelson?

Fennario

#200767 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
What "giant deceptions"? Please give me a couple of examples.
Catholicism and Islam.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#200768 Jan 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not realize that this is a (feeble) attempt to mock homosexuals?
Think about why you post something like this.
You may say it's to mock me, not homosexuals. If this is the case, how does this mock me? Do you think I'll be offended, or that I'll look bad in others' eyes, or what?
I'm asking you seriously. Don't deflect or make some joke of it--that will be a poor reflection of you.
Sigh

You are playing games

It has been explained to you repeatedly that is is funny because you are not gay. If you were gay it wouldn't be the least bit curious that you made a point to mention there was great diversity among the naked men you showered with. I would even tell you I'm into different ethnic women myself. But it's funny that a straight guy would brag about that. In fact you have been asked repeatedly why it was a point of interest to you with the question being qualified with the understanding that nobody is questioning your sexual orientation but you won't explain.

But even more so is you know the reason. You have repeatedly lied and claimed RR beats women and abused his child based on posts you saw a year ago and never took them to mean that until you decided to target RR. You know exactly what you are doing

I know I personally tried to appeal to you that ALL of us move away from this type of posting and promised to never bring it up again if you would simply stop the bogus claims against RR and you turned down the offer. For a poster who likes to pretend he is so ethically driven, you love having those two cards in your pocket to play even knowing they aren't true. Short of accusing someone of molesting a child, I can't think of a much worse lie than to claim someone beats one.

Lastly you took a post where RR didn't say that and turned it into that. You did actually make a point of mentioning the great diversity among the naked guys you were showering with and that the place had lotion and cucumbers.

I had nothing personally to gain by offering you that deal. I simply thought we all could do better and those around us might appreciate the effort. But you don't get to slop around in the sewer and than complain when you get chit on you

Hope that helped explain what you already knew
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200769 Jan 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You mock homosexuals by believing that it's an abject abnormality.
yeah but pretty lesbians are ok
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200770 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't need an army. Your religion is self-destructing in the news.
marana tha. Jesus words will always stand . Mans behavior and failures notwithstanding.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#200772 Jan 8, 2014
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your Christian source that says that faith means " "Belief without evidence"?
<headdesk>
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200773 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
Topix atheists. Tinfoil hat time for you. Be sure to ground them.
Be sure to protect those precious few brain cells you have.
It should be no big bother for the rest of us.
I predict the Topix atheists will be even more elevated in their generation of brain farts and other spurious emissions starting tonight and in the morning.
Watch and see.
why,is there a waxing gibbous?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr Frindly 3,555
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 13 hr Frindly 84,105
News BILL-BORED: Get Ready For Atheists' Annual Use ... Dec 15 Eagle 12 - 9
News Scientist Richard Dawkins weighs in on Malaysia... Dec 14 Eagle 12 - 6
High School Atheism Dec 14 blacklagoon 3 41
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 4,965
Where have all the Atheists gone? (Apr '17) Dec 13 Eagle 12 - 132
More from around the web