Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#200650 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my God, dude. It's a joke.
"Marriage is an institution."
"Ya? So is Alcatraz."
Then you gotta get all literal and mess up the joke.
Ugh to the nth degree.
BTW - calling upon your "God" will not change anything.

Unless you think "God" will change it for you?

*sighs*

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200651 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The cabal of prevaricating atheists will attempt to cajole the public claiming it was poverty or something. That damn establishment, whitey
HFY told us HIV, and pretty much all disease, is due to discrimination.

I guess the white people who get infected are collateral damage.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#200652 Jan 8, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link shows these definitions:
in·sti·tu·tion noun \&#716;in(t)-st&#601;- &#712;tü-sh&#601;n,- &#712;tyü-\
: an established organization
NASL - a landmark is not an organization. Thought the landmark is established, it is not an organization. Not a viable definition.
: a place where an organization takes care of people for a usually long period of time
NASL - a landmark DOES NOT take care of the people at all. Unless you want to pull the straw that has the landmark "taking care" of people by just letting them visit it - for a peaceful mind or entertainment. I disagree that this is a suitable explanation for this definition. But you seem to think differently.
: a custom, practice, or law that is accepted and used by many people
NASL - again, this definition doesn't apply to a landmark.
FYI - the place or buiding that controls the landmark - is the instution, the landmark itself is jsut a place.
I'll continue to disagree with you and RR.
"FYI - the place or buiding that controls the landmark - is the instution, the landmark itself is jsut a place."

That's essentially what I said, except it isn't the place or building, but the organization behind them. Alcatraz has been designated a part of that institution the Parks Service and historical associations is, It is an exhibit in a classroom if you wish to refer to it that way.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200653 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/01 /08/first-grade-teacher-seizes -christian-kids-candy-canes-sa ys-jesus-is-not-allowed-in-sch ool/ Topix style atheism. They would even steal candy from a baby. Insanity, letting their non-religious fervor drive them to deprive others of sharing.
Your post is a nice illustration of why there is so much friction between the two factions. How do you suppose "Topix style atheists" are going to react to a story like that when your insult is fresh in their minds upon reading the story?

LCN just posted this:

"Atheists, Agnostics, Christians, Jews and Muslims all fought for the NATO forces in Afghanistan and UK and US forces in Iraq. We can respect them by finding common causes to help mankind. We have more in common than our differences. The world needs people committed to helping the poor and powerless. Money for AIDS research would be a good start.and feeding poor people out of work another"

My initial reaction was to ask him if he thought religion was more of a cohesive or divisive force, but I thought better of it because I appreciated the spirit of his post even if his church does not, and didn't want to turn a nice post into something else.

But after reading your post, I had a change of heart. Your post reminded me of what I had wanted to say to him, and what the reality of this social struggle really is. It has nothing to do with unity. It only has to do with strife, which will obviously continue throughout the entire transition from a predominantly Christian American culture to a predominantly non-Christian one.

In any event, perhaps the kid learned a lesson his parents should have learned first.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200654 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
What happened to your promised gifts of the spirit?
Buck Crick wrote:
It was an Indian spirit. An Indian-giver.
A hoo-hoo Indian (makes to-and-fro cupping motion over pursed lips ) or a dot Indian (touches forehead)?

What? Was that wrong?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#200655 Jan 8, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Pretentious?
Moi?
I don't speaky that France talk, man.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200656 Jan 8, 2014
<quoted text>
It didn't sound like a joke to me.....but go ahead and apply it anyway you choose.
And no - marriage is only an institution to those who apply this label to it.
Marriage is more of a compromise than an institution, and one could even consider it as a finite agreement between two people with two difffering opinions and lifestyles.
Usually - like Dave Nelson posted - an institution is a place that has been established for a long period of time - as with a marriage of 50 years. A marriage of 2 years is not an institution.
But you sure want to make it whatever you choose, huh? Afterall, you are a so-called "Christian" who limit "God's" inspiration.
I can understand why you limit your "God" - you just don't like to be wrong when thinking otherwise.
Alternative definitions of "institution" are:

an established law, practice, or custom.

a well-established and familiar person, custom, or object.

Again, you ruin the joke by getting all literal on me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200657 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Thanks, man.
Truthfully, I only had that on for about a month.
Tore out of it twice. But that's another story.
A straight jacket for Buck Crick would be a parachute for Feltcher1...

Just sayin.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#200658 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Come clean, why did you leave the Church, what was such an offence?
I was a catholic until I reached the age of reason, about 12. Didn't see the logic behind worshiping a child murdering, baby killing, genocidal maniac. That was easy eh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200659 Jan 8, 2014
<quoted text>
BTW - calling upon your "God" will not change anything.
Unless you think "God" will change it for you?
*sighs*
Saying "oh my God" wasn't calling upon God.

It's a cliche that is an exclamation of shock or surprise.

I bet you're that guy at the party that ruins all the party jokes, huh?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200660 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
A hoo-hoo Indian (makes to-and-fro cupping motion over pursed lips ) or a dot Indian (touches forehead)?
What? Was that wrong?
Feathers not dot.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#200661 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Buck Crick wrote:
You are a bald-faced liar.
Stalin did not react against the church?
"Anti-religious education was introduced from the first-grade up in 1928 and anti-religious work was intensified throughout the education system. A massive purge was conducted at the same time of Christian intellectuals, who mostly died in the camps or in prison, in order to take away the church’s intellectuals and assist official propaganda that only backward people believed in God.
The church's successful competition with the ongoing and widespread atheistic propaganda, prompted new laws to be adopted in 1929 on 'Religious Associations' as well as amendments to the constitution, which forbade all forms of public, social, communal, educational, publishing or missionary activities for religious believers...Numerous other measures were introduced that were designed to cripple the church, and effectively made it illegal to have religious activities of any sort outside of liturgical services within the walls of the few churches that would remain open, and even these would be subject to much interference and harassment. Catechism classes, religious schools, study groups, Sunday schools and religious publications were all illegal and/or banned."
Stalin pretended to revive Russian Orthodox Church to intensify patriotic support for the war effort and because he wanted western help.
He continued to persecute Christianity for his entire reign.
Christinemc^2, you have now come out as an apologist for both Hitler and Stalin.
When will you publicly endorse Mao?
Is that next?
Moron.
<quoted text>
There was a lot in that post.
Care to elaborate on what you think was wrong about it?
Or will you just continue emanating vanity?
Buck swallows American propaganda hook line and sinker.
To understand what happened under Stalin you have to understand the politics of Russia from 1905-1917, then from 1917- through the Stalin years makes sense.
There was a power struggle for 30 years , with Russia divided and ruled by several different factions sharing power. Stalin stopped the civil war, I don't have to like or agree with how he did it , too see this is what he did.

" The Stalinist counterrevolution was therefore of a political character, it destroyed all political and ideological opposition, it harshly repressed proletarian groups and movements that were undoubtedly revolutionary, and persecuted to the extent of physical extermination those who expressed the least dissidence, whether within or outside of the Bolshevik Party. In Russia, the revolutionary process that had begun in 1905, obtained its first success with the democratic revolution of February 1917, which overthrew the Czar and established a democratic republic, but did not stop halfway and continued to the end with the insurrection of October 1917 in Petrograd, in which the Soviets seized power, replacing the bourgeoisie of the state apparatus."

http://libcom.org/history/russian-revolution-...

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#200662 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Feathers not dot.
Do you do voodoo?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200663 Jan 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I was a catholic until I reached the age of reason, about 12. Didn't see the logic behind worshiping a child murdering, baby killing, genocidal maniac. That was easy eh?
Oh ya, all them 12 year olds out there are so full of reason.......

Albuquerque, NM

#200665 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"FYI - the place or buiding that controls the landmark - is the instution, the landmark itself is jsut a place."
That's essentially what I said, except it isn't the place or building, but the organization behind them. Alcatraz has been designated a part of that institution the Parks Service and historical associations is, It is an exhibit in a classroom if you wish to refer to it that way.
Okay, Ill agree to this explanation (re: classroom).....but that is far as I can go.

Cheers Dave.

Albuquerque, NM

#200666 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Semantics are a bitch, huh?

:o)

A perfect example and comparison to religion - the semantics kill the philosophy.

Albuquerque, NM

#200667 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Alternative definitions of "institution" are:
an established law, practice, or custom.
a well-established and familiar person, custom, or object.
Again, you ruin the joke by getting all literal on me.
Aaaaah......

*hands you a two quarters*

Do you need to call someone who will care?

:o)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200668 Jan 8, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck swallows American propaganda hook line and sinker.
To understand what happened under Stalin you have to understand the politics of Russia from 1905-1917, then from 1917- through the Stalin years makes sense.
There was a power struggle for 30 years , with Russia divided and ruled by several different factions sharing power. Stalin stopped the civil war, I don't have to like or agree with how he did it , too see this is what he did.
" The Stalinist counterrevolution was therefore of a political character, it destroyed all political and ideological opposition, it harshly repressed proletarian groups and movements that were undoubtedly revolutionary, and persecuted to the extent of physical extermination those who expressed the least dissidence, whether within or outside of the Bolshevik Party. In Russia, the revolutionary process that had begun in 1905, obtained its first success with the democratic revolution of February 1917, which overthrew the Czar and established a democratic republic, but did not stop halfway and continued to the end with the insurrection of October 1917 in Petrograd, in which the Soviets seized power, replacing the bourgeoisie of the state apparatus."
http://libcom.org/history/russian-revolution-...
"persecuted to the extent of physical extermination"...

Sounds to me like you agree with Buck and the "propaganda".

Albuquerque, NM

#200669 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Saying "oh my God" wasn't calling upon God.
It's a cliche that is an exclamation of shock or surprise.
I bet you're that guy at the party that ruins all the party jokes, huh?
So "Christian" - do you always break the third commandment.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#200670 Jan 8, 2014
So "Christian" - do you always break the third commandment.
That has to be one of the lamest insults ever.

Give it a rest.

I'll not be dictated Christian ethics by the likes of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr DebraE 6,459
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 18,030
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr DebraE 14,509
News Confessions of a black atheist 3 hr NotSoDivineMsM 43
News The Consequences of Atheism 6 hr Thinking 1,143
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 12 hr ChristineM 1,875
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) Mon Freebird USA 9,256
More from around the web