Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200596 Jan 8, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The purpose of the Bible is to point the way to salvation, not to reform society.
I thought you knew.
You have more wisdom and understanding than you get credit for. No wonder Catcher loathes you.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#200597 Jan 8, 2014
king wrote:
m e t h h rred nex o n m e t h red nex e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h rednex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex
looks like somebody just cooked a fresh batch......
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200598 Jan 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So teaching genocide, child murder, child abuse, rape, slavery, terrorism, torture is the direction to salvation? No wonder you godbots can turn out so nasty
Those things only happen to the enemies of God. If they were obedient, they would not have perished. They didn't have liability insurance and bankruptcy laws back then. If you couldn't afford to be responsible for your actions errors and omissions, you may well have wound up a slave.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#200599 Jan 8, 2014
king wrote:
nnex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h h rred nex o n m e t h
red nex ex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n
m e t h h rred nex o n m e t h red nex e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h rednex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h h rred nex o n m e t h red nex nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h h rred nex o n m e t h red nex
Would you spell that, please?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200600 Jan 8, 2014
Your heirs successors and assigns may have also been affected

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#200601 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Their experience with sunburns and campfire burns would not make a glowing face something remarkable.
For one, for a face to glow requires an energy level to emit light, not just reflect it. For a human being to glow enough to require a veil means a pretty high energy level. I doubt if you have seen people with 110 degree F fevers glow, or alive for very long.
You aren't talking campfires.
Well, you're assuming the story as literal - "his face glowed".

I'm not. I'm just offering a more reasonable - rational - explanation as to how the author could have come up with the concept. Previous poster attempts to make some wild connection to nuclear radiation, and then wonders, "How could that ancient writer have depicted the effects of radiation"?

Simple. By sitting next to a campfire.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#200602 Jan 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Faith is in fact gullibility, believing in something without evidence. Faith is the permission theists give to each other to support their unproven beliefs. Faith is NOT a pathway to truth, Faith IS gullibility.
Come clean, why did you leave the Church, what was such an offence?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#200603 Jan 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Stalin was raised a christian and tipped for the priesthood so he has the right education. After he consolidated his power he set about rebuilding the church and it’s institutions.
Such a good example for christianity
You were raised one and reacting against it just like he did.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#200604 Jan 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

From what I can ascertain you are not qualified for much other than bad mouthing or beating up people who don’t agree with you.
It's a niche market.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#200605 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>

You have more wisdom and understanding than you get credit for. No wonder Catcher loathes you.
Thanks, man.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#200606 Jan 8, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Those things only happen to the enemies of God. If they were obedient, they would not have perished. They didn't have liability insurance and bankruptcy laws back then. If you couldn't afford to be responsible for your actions errors and omissions, you may well have wound up a slave.
Ah right, like a fascist dictatorship, thanks for enlightening us

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#200607 Jan 8, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Question;
Dune, fiction or prophesy?
Does that make the Spice Girls, like, apostles or something?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#200608 Jan 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Some have the instinct and disposition to worship and submit, others find those things unnatural. In other words, some are called to be sheep, and others shepherds.
Bongo wrote:
No one ever became a good leader till after they learned to submit and follow.
Perhaps. Was that a rebuttal or just an additional observation?
Bongo wrote:
Even Divine Jesus, washing feet , said the greatest is the least.
That comment was made for an unrelated purpose. It's purpose is to encourage docility submission, not leadership skills. Most of Christian ethics appears to be aimed at that - blessed are the meek, blessed are the poor in spirit, blessed are the merciful, blessed are the persecuted, blessed are the peacemakers, turn the other cheek, etc.

Westcliffe, CO

#200610 Jan 8, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I said Acts recounts one beating. You confirmed it.
Paul cites 8 beatings.
Acts does not support Paul's assertion.
Can't make it any simpler for ya.
As for the "stoning", what is the intended result of the ancient custom of stoning?
Death.
Yet Paul dusted himself off, continued on into town, spent a quiet night, and left town the next day, with no further incident.
Pretty obvious the "stoning" was more like, "some cranks threw rocks at him, then went away".
<quoted text>
I know, right? This is a good one. When your teenager insists, "I'm not lying!" when no one has accused them of lying, what do you think?
"Hmmm, probably lying."
<quoted text>
Dude, Paul himself said he'd say anything and be anything his audience required to get HIS gospel out.
You call it lying. I call it advertising.
<quoted text>Just reading directly from the good book, friend.
With discernment and comparative comprehension.
There's the difference twixt thee and me.
I believe Paul was supposed to have been dragged out of the city in the belief he was dead from the stoning by those that stoned him.

If you had several authors recording events in the exact same way in that period of time you would have ample reason to believe in a conspiracy. If not you can only assume various stories were collected and presented as is. With an event that precipitated those accounts.

You are tied to language used in the strictest manner, at least on this subject. Such indicates a certain bent toward interpreting that language.

I will guarantee you that any scientific theory observation fully written down will appear much different after it gets translated through a few languages, and then back to that original language. And that is on a contemporary basis.

“Be strong ...”

#200611 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You were raised one and reacting against it just like he did.
He did not react against the church, he reacted against the old school authority of the Czar acting as go between for god and taking his place just below that god and the church authorities for pandering to the Czar.

Once those injustices were disposed of then he rebuilt the church.

I on the other hand am not reinstating the churches and the priests and the religious institutions, what I do is highlight the lies and deceit and pain that the church (not just the christian church) can inflict. So no, nothing to compare really so we can assume you are talking out of you butt hole again because you have nothing else to do

“Be strong ...”

#200612 Jan 8, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a niche market.
Yup and you have the thuggery bit all sewn up.

Westcliffe, CO

#200614 Jan 8, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He did not react against the church, he reacted against the old school authority of the Czar acting as go between for god and taking his place just below that god and the church authorities for pandering to the Czar.
Once those injustices were disposed of then he rebuilt the church.
I on the other hand am not reinstating the churches and the priests and the religious institutions, what I do is highlight the lies and deceit and pain that the church (not just the christian church) can inflict. So no, nothing to compare really so we can assume you are talking out of you butt hole again because you have nothing else to do
He reinstated the churches because he needed them to fight the Nazis. Reinstating churches was a common thing for atheist societies.

Those atheists ran nations and were intelligent. Then there is your approach.

You beat yourself up more than any religion, lovey. Your victimhood requires an abuser. Your ego won't let you be the abuser.
king

Los Angeles, CA

#200615 Jan 8, 2014
m e t h rednex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n mm e t h rednex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex
king

Los Angeles, CA

#200616 Jan 8, 2014
m e t h rednex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h e t h n red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h m e t h m e t red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex o n m e t h red nex

“Be strong ...”

#200617 Jan 8, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
He reinstated the churches because he needed them to fight the Nazis. Reinstating churches was a common thing for atheist societies.
Those atheists ran nations and were intelligent. Then there is your approach.
You beat yourself up more than any religion, lovey. Your victimhood requires an abuser. Your ego won't let you be the abuser.
Stalin began rebuilding the church in 1924, more than a decade before any nazi threat. Your history is not up to much is it?

And as abusers go, you are a mere child. I assume your wife has gone out on the game again and left you to masturbate over the girls on topix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Wisdom of Ages 95,391
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 3 hr Elganned 180
Why creation? 4 hr Elganned 60
Atheism saved me Wed Amused 27
man Mon blacklagoon 3 1
The atheists mind Jun 15 Elganned 63
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50