Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#199883 Jan 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Jesus says Christians must follow the laws of the Levites:
"For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:20
Seems RR wants everyone to go to Hell with him.
Been googling it, haven't you?

HAHA!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199884 Jan 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
and continuing in the same breath, he said........?
Or is there a reason you prefer to stop there?
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Everything was "accomplished".

Jesus said "It is finished."

The death, burial and resurrection of Christ ushered in a New Covenant.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199885 Jan 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Yes he did.
The verses you posted are from Paul. Paul contradicted Jesus quite often.
All you prove is that you take Paul's word over that of Jesus.
You don't believe in Jesus one bit. You believe in Paul.
M'kay, pumpkin.

I suppose you only believe writings that Jesus Himself wrote, is that right?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#199886 Jan 6, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Are you suggesting being unequally yoked like you are here or when you were in jail or both?
No

Not only because quite a few of the atheists in here and I don't get along from a previous room (although I consider some friends) but being UNEQUALLY yoked with unbelievers means spending most your time with unbelievers in general instead of your brothers and sisters In Christ.

If one could not be friends with an unbeliever, how could they love their neighbor or more importantly, how could they ever convert someone?

But tell me, do you really believe the passage you took that from that also says and what do you think it means to receive grace in vain?

2 Corinthians 6
We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

I'll give you a verse to compare it to

1Corinthians 15:1-2
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, IF ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

One is only saved IF they keep in memory what they have learned or else they believed in vain

I am guessing you will be done talking about the Bible now right? Or maybe you will surprise me and actually address the scripture?

Location hidden

#199887 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."
IMHO I believe He meant the sacrifice for sins was accomplished

Even Paul says:

Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.

We were freed from the curse of law which was death for sin by the sacrifice. And how we go about fulfilling the law changed as we no longer had to follow Mosaic law but instead had the commandments from Christ

John 1:17
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

I am in agreement with you that we are no longer under Mosaic Law. Just want to clarify we still have to obey the commandments though. Some people who say "It is finished" proves OSAS

Heading out for a bit

Trying to work my way back to old replies still

(T) Peace

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#199888 Jan 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
To put it nicely, your ignorance never ceases to amaze. HIV doesn't care what body it inhabits. It's not limited by sexuality.
It's spreads through lines of discrimination - poverty, denial of health care, economic and food safety.
No kidding homosexuals in the USA of the late 70's and 80's got it first. They suffered heavy discrimination during those times - and, if you had it your way, you'd continue that discrimination.
Anyways, worldwide, HIV affects women between the ages of 20-45 more heavily than any other group - and their offspring. Rates are highest among the poor - and highest among women b/c women in many developing nations lack access to economic resources and gain them only through their bfs/husbands.
Nice avatar - awesome game.

Location hidden

#199889 Jan 6, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Just gonna reply here as I can't seem to find back post

But talking about the one where you said you have finally gotten to know me

Same here

I am glad we out the past stuff behind us.

(T) Peace

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#199890 Jan 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
While I was in the Air Force, I had a sergeant that told me aliens do not exist because they are not mentioned in the Bible. I asked him where the airplanes on the base came from since clearly they must not exist since airplanes aren't mentioned in the Bible either.
(Yeah, I'm a snarky bastard.)
Ha, awesome.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#199891 Jan 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, everything you wanted to know about Kim Jon-Un, your Atheist brother.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un
And you think I haven't already read this? Notice three things here, first the mention of the North Korean religion Juche, second Kim Jong-Un called "A great first born of HEAVEN, and lastly, I find NO mention of Kim being an Atheist. Where is it written, here or anywhere that Kim Jong-Un is an Atheist? Are you just lying again, flying your dishonestly flag one more time.

And I can see you have elected to NOT have intelligent conversations, to NOT answer any of my questions, I'll just treat you as a hostile, lying, dishonest, and delusional Christian. I may even have to throw in uneducated and just plain stupid.

The cult of personality around Kim Jong-un was stepped up following his father's death. He was hailed as the "great successor to the revolutionary cause of Juche", "outstanding leader of the party, army and people"[71] and "respected comrade who is identical to Supreme Commander Kim Jong-il",[72] and was made chairman of the Kim Jong-il funeral committee. The Korean Central News Agency described Kim Jong-un as "a great person born of heaven", a propaganda term only his father and grandfather had enjoyed,[73] while the ruling Workers' Party said in an editorial: "We vow with bleeding tears to call Kim Jong-un our supreme commander, our leader."[74]

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199892 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
2 Corinthians 6
We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, IF ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
One is only saved IF they keep in memory what they have learned or else they believed in vain
I disagree. I think you're using a flawed translation.

1 Corinthians 15
"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain."

I think "If you hold firmly" does not refer to memory, but refers to being able to grasp the concept that Jesus teaches.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#199893 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was "finished/accomplished " then Jesus wasn't resurrected and there is no second coming.

Which is the lie ? All is accomplished or all isn't accomplished ?

I realize that a pathological liar such as yourself can;t understand that it can't be finished and NOT finished at the same time.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#199894 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No
Not only because quite a few of the atheists in here and I don't get along from a previous room (although I consider some friends) but being UNEQUALLY yoked with unbelievers means spending most your time with unbelievers in general instead of your brothers and sisters In Christ.
If one could not be friends with an unbeliever, how could they love their neighbor or more importantly, how could they ever convert someone?
But tell me, do you really believe the passage you took that from that also says and what do you think it means to receive grace in vain?
2 Corinthians 6
I am guessing you will be done talking about the Bible now right? Or maybe you will surprise me and actually address the scripture?
Youre always excessively pontificating. It was a simple assertion, did you experiment while you were jailed ? Keep it under 4000 words. Get a sense of humor too. I know its hard with all that mind numbing shelf stocking.

Location hidden

#199895 Jan 6, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree with Skom. It's been my experience that people in a particular setting or society, in which those people happen to be the majority, will view the minority with suspicion and quite often, ridicule.
Homophobes have a crutch to prop up their bigotry. We call that the Bible. I see that mostly from people born before 1980. The rest of it is just fear based on what a majority views as abnormal.
We've discussed this before, I think. The view of a white, heterosexual male with all his limbs and no known mental issues vs. the view of an Asian, homosexual female with one leg and a few stints in the "special house". I've been singled out for ridicule by the majority on all of those aspects of my life. That includes being female. I see more people stare and whisper when I walk through the mall on my crutches than I do when my prosthetic is covered by jeans and I'm holding hands with my girlfriend.
Yeah I think the majority will generally almost always act with fear, suspicion, hatred, or ridicule towards anything different than what they themselves consider regular. Maybe some or all those reactions depending on the issue and person. And I think history shows this is unfortunately just human behavior

(T) Peace

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199896 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>IMHO I believe He meant the sacrifice for sins was accomplished
Even Paul says:
Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
We were freed from the curse of law which was death for sin by the sacrifice. And how we go about fulfilling the law changed as we no longer had to follow Mosaic law but instead had the commandments from Christ
John 1:17
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
I am in agreement with you that we are no longer under Mosaic Law. Just want to clarify we still have to obey the commandments though. Some people who say "It is finished" proves OSAS
Heading out for a bit
Trying to work my way back to old replies still
(T) Peace
There are basically three types of Biblical law;

1. Moral law
B. Ceremonial law
3. Civic law

The last two are passe, the first still applies.

The Torah has 613 laws, the Ten Commandments and 603 Law of Moses.

We Christians have the two laws of Christ, love God with your whole heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199897 Jan 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
If it was "finished/accomplished " then Jesus wasn't resurrected and there is no second coming.
Which is the lie ? All is accomplished or all isn't accomplished ?
I realize that a pathological liar such as yourself can;t understand that it can't be finished and NOT finished at the same time.
M'kay, pumpkin.

Location hidden

#199898 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I think you're using a flawed translation.
1 Corinthians 15
"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain."
I think "If you hold firmly" does not refer to memory, but refers to being able to grasp the concept that Jesus teaches.
I agree

I'm not suggesting it means someone forgot what they were taught

It means someone didn't remain faithful

Location hidden

#199899 Jan 6, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Youre always excessively pontificating. It was a simple assertion, did you experiment while you were jailed ? Keep it under 4000 words. Get a sense of humor too. I know its hard with all that mind numbing shelf stocking.
You are not too bright are you?

LOL

You asked a question based on scripture. Because you are stupid I had to explain that scripture to you. Then I asked if you even believe the passage it was from by giving you another verse from it to see if you selectively choose what verses to follow. Naturally you refused to address like I predicted!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199900 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
I agree
I'm not suggesting it means someone forgot what they were taught
It means someone didn't remain faithful
But you wrote "One is only saved IF they keep in memory what they have learned"

Now I'm lost on what you mean.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#199901 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I think you're using a flawed translation.....
Once again you claim intimate knowledge of Hebrew and Greek.

More likely, you search for translations that support your own preconceived opinion.

"Those who can't reach the grapes have to settle for cherries." - ME 4:16

“Love much, trust none”

There

#199902 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There are basically three types of Biblical law;
1. Moral law
B. Ceremonial law
3. Civic law
The last two are passe, the first still applies.
The Torah has 613 laws, the Ten Commandments and 603 Law of Moses.
We Christians have the two laws of Christ, love God with your whole heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.
That explains why you justify your hatred of me.

"Love your enemies" - Jesus

You must hate Jesus. He constantly proves you are a liar, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 2 hr Mikko 475
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr Chimney1 18,851
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... Sat geezerjock 1
More from around the web