Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258469 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#199912 Jan 6, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> yer an a- hole babbling babboon
So this is how you folks on the West coast carry on intelligent conversations? You really should experience the intelligent dialog that we educated people from the East coast have.

I'm sure you have a point but I fail to see it, probably because you haven't yet learned how to carry on an intelligent conversation. Don't they have courses out there on how to talk intelligently?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#199913 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, said the blind man.
I agree.
heh

But you had it right

We just weren't on the same page for a second

(T) Peace
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#199914 Jan 6, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
The RC church also backed Hitler and provided and ambassador to the Reich, Much of what Hitler did was agreed by and condoned by the RC church. In the eyes of many those actions aided and abetted the actions of war criminals
The IRA is a Roman Catholic organisation that was (still is) a byword for terrorism and are responsible for thousands of indiscriminate murders, mutilations and injuries besides millions of pounds of property damage. They were funded by Catholic Noraid donations.
Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic committed genocide against Moslems in the name of their Catholic church. Both were tried and convicted of war crimes, unfortunately the church who backed them was never brought to justice.
On another note, I have been away for a couple of weeks and I noticed a couple of post’s where you said you were asking me my views on something. I don’t think I saw the original question so could you ask again please.
I really can't remember just what the question was without going back an number of posts to find it. If i remember I'll ask again whatever it was.

Of course you're right, the Catholic Church has literally gotten away with centuries of criminal activity without ever being held accountable. Why Catholics are not completely embarrassed, I'll never know.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#199915 Jan 6, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kim-Jong Un is an Atheist Doctor. And he fed his Uncle to the dogs. It's well known for some time about the Human Rights Violations in North Korea. And that good ole boy fellow Atheist of yours likes to starve his people while his fat *ss eats steak every evening.
Yeah, he's one of yours so stop trying to say he something else, he's Atheist. Don't it make you proud?
I KNOW you'll be to cowardly to answer this, as you never answer hard questions, especially when they threaten your God thing, but I'll try anyway, just so people here can see what a coward you really are.

What is the difference between Kim Jong-Un feeding his uncle to a pack of dogs to be eaten alive, and your God sending Bears to tear to shreds some mischievous teenagers? Your God is actually MORE evil than Kim, as these teens posed no threat to anyone, just mocking someones balk head. Talk about the punishment fitting the crime, you God has NO idea how that works. I'll be waiting for your NON_ANSWER!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#199916 Jan 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true, the Being who gave the Jews the Law on the mountain was clearly an Alien. Even led the Israelites with a spaceship.
SMile.
Yeah, I hear they were from Uranus!!!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#199917 Jan 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true, the Being who gave the Jews the Law on the mountain was clearly an Alien. Even led the Israelites with a spaceship.
SMile.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I hear they were from Uranus!!!
Afraid to go there?

How would an ancient culture describe the encounter?

Man up or up Uranus.

Smile.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#199918 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Everything was "accomplished".

Jesus said "It is finished."

The death, burial and resurrection of Christ ushered in a New Covenant.
Ok, so when he said,

"...anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven,"

he meant to add "....but just for the next few months. After I'm dead disregard all I've said here."

Right?

Except after he allegedly "rose" he STILL didn't say anything about disregarding the Covenant that Yahweh said over and over and over again would last until the end of days, and a New Covenant is now in play.

That was all Paul.

I'd still like to know why, if this is so, Paul played both sides of the game, but I understand that inquiry might go one rung too high for ya.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#199919 Jan 6, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
SMile.
<quoted text>
Afraid to go there?
How would an ancient culture describe the encounter?
Man up or up Uranus.
Smile.
Ever wonder what a space ship from Uranus would use for power?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#199920 Jan 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, so when he said,
"...anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven,"
he meant to add "....but just for the next few months. After I'm dead disregard all I've said here."
Right?
Except after he allegedly "rose" he STILL didn't say anything about disregarding the Covenant that Yahweh said over and over and over again would last until the end of days, and a New Covenant is now in play.
That was all Paul.
I'd still like to know why, if this is so, Paul played both sides of the game, but I understand that inquiry might go one rung too high for ya.
Jesus' death and resurrection fulfilled the Promise made to Abraham.

Judaic Law was sort of a temporary law until the Promised Messiah came to fulfill all things.

Jesus fulfilled the old laws and washed them away with the New Covenant.

This is Christianity 101.

“The future begins”

every moment

#199921 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. I think you're using a flawed translation.
1 Corinthians 15
"Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain."
I think "If you hold firmly" does not refer to memory, but refers to being able to grasp the concept that Jesus teaches.
"I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you"

I preached to you. Not Jesus. Paul's gospel.

It's important to notice the context here - in fact the Corinthian letters are among the most revealing - Paul is not just preaching a gospel - he is asserting HIS gospel - over what? What should he be worried about? Who is his chief competitor?

He tells you. Paul's primary concern is NOT pagans, or heathens, or even Jews. He doesn't even deny that his opposition reveres Jesus.

His chief competitor are (his words) "the Judaizers".

And who are the Judaizers? Read Galatians chap. 2 for an opening clue.

They are the people who were taught for upwards of 3 years at Jesus' feet - Peter, James, Andrew - the apostles in Jerusalem!

Paul is telling the Corinthians not to listen to them - listen to the gospel Paul taught.

He's telling them that IF they listen to the "Judaizers" they would believe in vain because Paul preached faith and faith alone, and they taught a modified version of Torah with Jesus as it's fulfillment - in other words, a "works" doctrine.

It's all right there in Paul's own letters.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#199922 Jan 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I KNOW you'll be to cowardly to answer this, as you never answer hard questions, especially when they threaten your God thing, but I'll try anyway, just so people here can see what a coward you really are.
What is the difference between Kim Jong-Un feeding his uncle to a pack of dogs to be eaten alive, and your God sending Bears to tear to shreds some mischievous teenagers? Your God is actually MORE evil than Kim, as these teens posed no threat to anyone, just mocking someones balk head. Talk about the punishment fitting the crime, you God has NO idea how that works. I'll be waiting for your NON_ANSWER!!!!!
By your logic there is must be no difference between a murderer and the judge who orders the murderer to fry in the electric chair. I think it has something to do with authority. In theory (since you do not believe in God) the Almighty provides life and can take it away. Kim Jong is abusing his authority since he is supposed to take care of his people and administer proper justice. God on the other hand can dispose of life any way He chooses. The account is meant as a warning of things to come.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#199923 Jan 6, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Poor stupid Bongo
I have worked for Fortune 1000 companies my entire life. And your 'success' is supposedly the reason you will die alone.
Um..congratulations?
And don't worry about avoiding answering the Bible question. While you aren't smart enough to realize it, your refusal to answer provided the answer:)
I said good companies,. You don't know what lonely at the top means . Im not avoiding anything, except talking to a douchbag. Ill talk at you, though
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#199924 Jan 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So this is how you folks on the West coast carry on intelligent conversations? You really should experience the intelligent dialog that we educated people from the East coast have.
I'm sure you have a point but I fail to see it, probably because you haven't yet learned how to carry on an intelligent conversation. Don't they have courses out there on how to talk intelligently?
Youre absurd. If you don't believe me , ask Buck

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#199925 Jan 6, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> By your logic there is must be no difference between a murderer and the judge who orders the murderer to fry in the electric chair. I think it has something to do with authority. In theory (since you do not believe in God) the Almighty provides life and can take it away. Kim Jong is abusing his authority since he is supposed to take care of his people and administer proper justice. God on the other hand can dispose of life any way He chooses. The account is meant as a warning of things to come.
If this is the case, your God should change his/her name to Ogre.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#199926 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' death and resurrection fulfilled the Promise made to Abraham......
How did Jesus' provide Abraham with a nation of his descendants ? esp. one that existed for a couple thousand years before Jesus was born ?

Damn, you are insane.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#199927 Jan 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is the case, your God should change his/her name to Ogre.
Watch out for the bears. Not that it will do you any good.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#199928 Jan 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ever wonder what a space ship from Uranus would use for power?
Gas, except, if it was from the blacklagoon crater on yUoranus, it would use BS.

Care to explain the description of radiation that Moses experienced when he met with the Alien?

Smile.

“The future begins”

every moment

#199929 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' death and resurrection fulfilled the Promise made to Abraham.
Judaic Law was sort of a temporary law until the Promised Messiah came to fulfill all things.
Jesus fulfilled the old laws and washed them away with the New Covenant.
This is Christianity 101.
Thank you, but I know full well what orthodox Christian doctrine says. I taught it myself once upon a time.

And I know what Jesus said.

They ain't the same. You quoted them yourself, but even after doing so, you cannot help but revert to doctrine. You don't what to deal with the dichotomy present in Jesus' own words, standing in opposition to venerable old Church doctrine as presented by Paul.

I understand, it took me decades to read and think for myself as well.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#199931 Jan 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You say I discriminate gays and I have a problem with that.

If you're gonna make the accusation, at least be prepared to back it up.

I think that you believe every Christian discriminates against gays.

I think that's your bigotry showing.

Am I right?
No. We all read your posts RR. Remember that time when you were discussing how you'd react to your son being gay?

Remember all your derogatory posts?

Apologist piece of crap. No wonder you get called a liar so damn much.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#199932 Jan 6, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>"I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you"
I preached to you. Not Jesus. Paul's gospel.
It's important to notice the context here - in fact the Corinthian letters are among the most revealing - Paul is not just preaching a gospel - he is asserting HIS gospel - over what? What should he be worried about? Who is his chief competitor?
He tells you. Paul's primary concern is NOT pagans, or heathens, or even Jews. He doesn't even deny that his opposition reveres Jesus.
His chief competitor are (his words) "the Judaizers".
And who are the Judaizers? Read Galatians chap. 2 for an opening clue.
They are the people who were taught for upwards of 3 years at Jesus' feet - Peter, James, Andrew - the apostles in Jerusalem!
Paul is telling the Corinthians not to listen to them - listen to the gospel Paul taught.
He's telling them that IF they listen to the "Judaizers" they would believe in vain because Paul preached faith and faith alone, and they taught a modified version of Torah with Jesus as it's fulfillment - in other words, a "works" doctrine.
It's all right there in Paul's own letters.
I know how much you Gnostics can't stand Paul, but he was probably the most pivotal role in Christianity, after Jesus.

I'll believe his words before I believe yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Subduction Zone 69,956
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr 15th Dalai Lama 30,111
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 5 hr orlando 434
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 9 hr Roy 12,673
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 10 hr yehoshooah adam 3,779
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 17 hr superwilly 579
News The rise of militant atheism (Sep '09) May 21 online reality bu... 9,236
More from around the web