Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239092 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#199369 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It tells us that you choose to ignore the statistics provided by the CDC.
So it's just the Christians who have a correct understanding of the statistics?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#199370 Jan 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
1. People without access to economic and food resources have sex for those. Because they have no power themselves, they are unable to bargain for condom use.
(Is the above too complex for you? I don't think I can simplify it more.)
No but that is a problem unique the Africa. Lets say the ratio of MSM to the female population is 5 females to every one MSM. Naturally the numbers are going to be larger in the female population than the MSM category. MSM in Africa also have sex with female sex workers and other females. The origin of HIV in that areas was alleged to be from meat. That means it spread in both male and female proportionally. In the United States the circumstances are not exactly the same. The origin being MSM. From there it has spread to the general population.
3. If we're just looking at the USA, your statements backed me up entirely. Blacks and MSM. You're forgetting Hispanics, but I'm not worried. I'm sure your source will catch up to reality in a few dozen years.
The infection rate in the Hispanic community is in the MSM category according to this.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/CDC-...
Blacks and MSM, my dear ignorant Lightbeamer, are, as I wrote, suffering from structural inequalities. It's no surprise whatsoever that they have higher rates of HIV.
Once again, for the slow of mind, HIV travels along lines of social inequalities. Those groups under discrimination are going to be the hardest hit by the disease. MSM and blacks - no surprise there.
MSM is the highest in both blacks and Hispanics. From there it is spread to women. Blaming poverty for HIV treats both blacks and Hispanics as victims but they know the risks and do it anyway. That is here in the United States. It is you who under the guise of some mis guided form of compassion effectually treats them as sub humans. They can't help themselves. There is so much injustice. No wonder they are riddled with HIV. It is simply making lame excuses for risky sexual behavior which spreads incurable disease. That is the root of the problem.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#199371 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm sure that's what you've needed to lower yourself to.
I prefer: "If you have a good partner, you don't need a hand".
<quoted text>
Where do you see a "problem with masturbation"?
My quote; "If you have a good partner, you don't need a hand", was pretty simple. What do you suppose the "if you have a good partner" part was all about? What happens when there's not a good partner available?
You're an idiot.
And a liar.
That's why you perpetuate your lie of "wife beater" all the time.
And there you go lying again.

Wow! You ARE pathological.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#199372 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're to stupid to see your lies as transparent as the rest of us.
Your "you beat women and babies" lie is the best example.
"Duane"
It isn't a lie. You posted that you did so, I believed you.

You are definitely demented.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#199373 Jan 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Unlikely.

It's more likely that you choose to ignore the stats.

When gay men represent 2-3% of the population but nearly 80% of the HIV cases, there's a striking correlation there.

If you're gay or know any gay men, tell them that rubbers aren't just to prevent pregnancy...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199374 Jan 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
And there you go lying again.
Wow! You ARE pathological.
Would you please be a stand up kinda guy and show me where you think I've lied so that I may make amends to you?

G'head.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199375 Jan 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
It isn't a lie. You posted that you did so, I believed you.
You are definitely demented.
It IS a lie.

I've never beaten my wife or kids.

Another lie is you claiming that I've posted it.

But I'm the demented one...

Sure, honey. Sure.

Long Beach, CA

#199376 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlikely.
It's more likely that you choose to ignore the stats.
When gay men represent 2-3% of the population but nearly 80% of the HIV cases, there's a striking correlation there.
If you're gay or know any gay men, tell them that rubbers aren't just to prevent pregnancy...
You didn't respond to my statement: Why is it that the Christians consistently ascribe the HIV problem to homosexuality, and non-Christians don't?

Long Beach, CA

#199377 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It IS a lie.
Sure, honey. Sure.
I sure hope you have learned a lesson:

It's risky to disclose details of your personal life on these threads--it'll come back and bite you in the ass.

You have disclosed too much, in my view.

If you like, I can give you examples of stuff that, for your own benefit, you should have kept to yourself.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#199378 Jan 5, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
lightbeamrider wrote:
I still find it interesting you caught my error and nobody else did.
Your post < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... > was addressed to me, but once I saw that it was just more anti-gay posting, I stopped reading. None of it had anything to do with what had come before:

lightbeamrider wrote: Do you also consider lifetime ban on Gay blood donation discrimination? http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/federal-gove ...

IANS wrote: Not if it can be justified scientifically.

It was clear that you weren't interested in blood banking safety issues or in discussing discrimination impartially, but in posting links and then statistics to diminish gays in the eyes of your readers.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#199379 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
I just don't know why young people are so supportive of homosexual rights when it will be them who will have to deal with the real implications that could develop later. The sheer cost involved in treating HIV on a mass scale is staggering and guess who is going to pay the freight? And it is mostly preventable.
And here you go with some more of the same.

What I'm about to post isn't to pick on you. You're far from alone here. In fact, you already have 5 brilliant light bulbs and 5 interesting stars after 15 hours, which is probably represents 2/3 of the Christian posting in the last 15 hours. Thus I believe that you likely represent the majority opinion among Topix theists.

What I want to point out is how typical this kind of thing is for you (plural), and by contrast, how very rare it is to read something like that from one of us unbelievers. Who doubts when they read something like "I just don't know why young people are so supportive of homosexual rights," that it's coming from one of the faithful even before they look to see who posted it?

Another point I wanted to reinforce is that THIS is what the church is teaching huge numbers of people - the teaching that many of you say doesn't take place by a church that many of you say doesn't exist because you don't remember hearing a sermon from a pulpit explicitly instructing you to demean and marginalize gays. I don't know exactly when and where this attitude is taught and learned, but it obviously is. Your post and the icons supporting it contrasted with the posting of the unbelievers is the evidence of that.

A third point I want to make concerns comments like, "The bible teaches love." Not very well? Where's the love in your post? As I mentioned elsewhere, it doesn't matter what the bible says. It matters what is being taught and learned.

And my final point, as I also mentioned elsewhere, is that wherever humanist and Christian values overlap, we outperform the Christians. Where is love one another in your post or the ten affirming icons you received? Where is the Golden Rule - to treat others as you would like to be treated? Between the faithful and the godless here, who is showing that love? Which of us actually embodies the Golden Rule?

Actually, I would say that those are only claimed values, and that our de facto values - what we each embody - don't actually overlap at all. The Golden Rule isn't really a Christian value if we go by actions rather than words. Homophobia and atheophobia are major violations of it, and few of you have any misgivings about either of those.

And then I have to read that there is no homophobia coming from the church, and that my saying otherwise is pure bigotry and a hate-filled agenda.

I wish you weren't all in so much denial about all of this. It would make a worthwhile discussion if any of you besides Skombolis were willing to even consider the possibility that there might be some validity to these criticisms, and to the suggestion that you police yourselves for the benefit of everybody involved including Christians and the church.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#199380 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It IS a lie.
Sure, honey. Sure.
It was your words. I simply believed what you wrote.

You are insane.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#199381 Jan 5, 2014
No more Mister Nice Guy for old Dave.

I have a yard that is completely fenced in that I have two yard cats that spend almost all of their time in. It is their yard. They are pretty sweet fixed males that hold their own against others that have tried to move in. I like my cats even if they do snag a dove on occasion.

Yesterday morning I heard some growling outside and went to take a look. There were two small nastyassed little dogs and a big cream colored German Shepherd running around my back yard. I stepped out the door with my pellet gun and they took off, the little ones to the back and the shepherd toward the front. He was my main focus. He jumped a four foot fence like it was nothing to get away. The front gate was closed. That is the only unlocked gate to the property. The little two may have managed to get through some very tiny spots at the bottom of a privacy fence, but there is no way that shepherd could have. That means he had to jump the fence to get in.

With the intent of killing my cats. They didn't show up for feeding late yesterday. They finally came home this morning separately. Which saves me driving around looking for some dogs with bad intent.

I will secure the bottom of that privacy fence to a better degree, but until it gets warm enough to do so I have established a very good sniping position outside the bathroom window. Just hoping one or all of them decide to give it another try. No shooting at to disturb them like before, but shooting so they won't even come close anymore.

GRRRRRR!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199382 Jan 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
You didn't respond to my statement: Why is it that the Christians consistently ascribe the HIV problem to homosexuality, and non-Christians don't?
Yes I did respond to that question (it wasn't a statement).

RiversideRedneck wrote:

It tells us that you choose to ignore the statistics provided by the CDC.

---

YOU even responded:

Catcher1 wrote:

---

Short term memory or just a lame desire for pointless arguing? Which is it, Feltcher1?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199383 Jan 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure hope you have learned a lesson:
It's risky to disclose details of your personal life on these threads--it'll come back and bite you in the ass.
You have disclosed too much, in my view.
If you like, I can give you examples of stuff that, for your own benefit, you should have kept to yourself.
The lesson is: You can't be honest around certain Topix Atheists! Namely you and Ben.

You twist it around and make it something that wasn't posted.

We should be free to explain every detail of our lives, but you crazy asses will stalk and hunt us down.

Like y'all did to YD.

That's a shame.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#199384 Jan 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And here you go with some more of the same.
What I'm about to post isn't to pick on you. You're far from alone here. In fact, you already have 5 brilliant light bulbs and 5 interesting stars after 15 hours, which is probably represents 2/3 of the Christian posting in the last 15 hours. Thus I believe that you likely represent the majority opinion among Topix theists.
What I want to point out is how typical this kind of thing is for you (plural), and by contrast, how very rare it is to read something like that from one of us unbelievers. Who doubts when they read something like "I just don't know why young people are so supportive of homosexual rights," that it's coming from one of the faithful even before they look to see who posted it?
Another point I wanted to reinforce is that THIS is what the church is teaching huge numbers of people - the teaching that many of you say doesn't take place by a church that many of you say doesn't exist because you don't remember hearing a sermon from a pulpit explicitly instructing you to demean and marginalize gays. I don't know exactly when and where this attitude is taught and learned, but it obviously is. Your post and the icons supporting it contrasted with the posting of the unbelievers is the evidence of that.
A third point I want to make concerns comments like, "The bible teaches love." Not very well? Where's the love in your post? As I mentioned elsewhere, it doesn't matter what the bible says. It matters what is being taught and learned.
And my final point, as I also mentioned elsewhere, is that wherever humanist and Christian values overlap, we outperform the Christians. Where is love one another in your post or the ten affirming icons you received? Where is the Golden Rule - to treat others as you would like to be treated? Between the faithful and the godless here, who is showing that love? Which of us actually embodies the Golden Rule?
Actually, I would say that those are only claimed values, and that our de facto values - what we each embody - don't actually overlap at all. The Golden Rule isn't really a Christian value if we go by actions rather than words. Homophobia and atheophobia are major violations of it, and few of you have any misgivings about either of those.
And then I have to read that there is no homophobia coming from the church, and that my saying otherwise is pure bigotry and a hate-filled agenda.
I wish you weren't all in so much denial about all of this. It would make a worthwhile discussion if any of you besides Skombolis were willing to even consider the possibility that there might be some validity to these criticisms, and to the suggestion that you police yourselves for the benefit of everybody involved including Christians and the church.
Well i skimmed your post and posted from CDC websites. The information is factual and all we get from Topix Non believers is dodging, condescension, name calling (not necessarily you) vilifying and generally taking the low road.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199385 Jan 5, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
It was your words. I simply believed what you wrote.
You are insane.
End this debate.

Provide a link, a page number, ANYTHING, where I posted that I've beaten my wife or kids.

Prove me wrong once and for all, Ben.

I dare you.

G'head.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#199386 Jan 5, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
No more Mister Nice Guy for old Dave.
I have a yard that is completely fenced in that I have two yard cats that spend almost all of their time in. It is their yard. They are pretty sweet fixed males that hold their own against others that have tried to move in. I like my cats even if they do snag a dove on occasion.
Yesterday morning I heard some growling outside and went to take a look. There were two small nastyassed little dogs and a big cream colored German Shepherd running around my back yard. I stepped out the door with my pellet gun and they took off, the little ones to the back and the shepherd toward the front. He was my main focus. He jumped a four foot fence like it was nothing to get away. The front gate was closed. That is the only unlocked gate to the property. The little two may have managed to get through some very tiny spots at the bottom of a privacy fence, but there is no way that shepherd could have. That means he had to jump the fence to get in.
With the intent of killing my cats. They didn't show up for feeding late yesterday. They finally came home this morning separately. Which saves me driving around looking for some dogs with bad intent.
I will secure the bottom of that privacy fence to a better degree, but until it gets warm enough to do so I have established a very good sniping position outside the bathroom window. Just hoping one or all of them decide to give it another try. No shooting at to disturb them like before, but shooting so they won't even come close anymore.
GRRRRRR!
It's never fun dealing with that sort of thing, Dave. But you can't get mad at a dog for being a dog...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#199387 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps your right. I'll let lightbeamer speak for himself and I'll speak for myself.
I believe the spread of HIV is caused by a growing lack of morality, specifically the morality of sex. I think people are far too carefree in how they view the openness of sex.
You're wrong about the size comparison. Africa is 11.7 million sq miles, N. America is 9.5 million and S. America is 6.9 million.
But you made me look :)
Sex is not immoral if it's between consenting adults.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#199388 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey hidingfromme, how are you?
Just a question, why is HIV infection radically increasing among gays, the very group we have spent billions educating, and even more medicating?
Smile.
<quoted text> You did not answer his question. From you reference.
----------
In 2010, the estimated number of new HIV infections among MSM was 29,800, a significant 12% increase from the 26,700 new infections among MSM in 2008.
----------
That is a 12% increase. That is not maintaining. That is increasing.
<quoted text> Immoral? Anybody immoral who does not see things the way you do? Child logic. Besides you completely ignored KiMare's question?
What part of estimated are you having trouble with?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 9 min NoahLovesU 109
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 46 min NoahLovesU 7,369
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 59 min NoahLovesU 7,465
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web