Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255967 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#199200 Jan 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know.
It was a specific question to Riverside Redneck. He seems to think that only people from the United States of America are Americans but people from South Korea and people from Japan are equally Asian. The people in Central and South America aren't Americans. People from Canada are Canadians but they aren't Americans.
I find that fascinating.
Nee hau, River?

To me you're ALL Americans. However, I know very well that Canadians, Mexicans and Southerners are not "Yanks"; as more ignorant people here would say.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#199201 Jan 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Simplicity when posting to RR. That's all you need to remember.
I'm getting that.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

#199202 Jan 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My superiority, in our case, is well-established.
I'm not at all insecure about it.
That's why I address the words you use, rather than practice assailing motivations - which is your area of interest.
Hahahaha that's why you are here, hiding behind a screen. You are a keyboard warrior. Strong, brave, no other like you.

In comparison to your real life persona, weak, sad and fragile.

No one here is superior.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#199203 Jan 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
The risk of HIV is not from gay people, LB.
Technically you are right. It is mostly due to stupidity. Unprotected sex with strangers.
You're thinking locally. Heterosexual people are the ones spreading the disease and a big part of it comes from the Catholic Church's views on contraception.
Prove it. You claim about the Catholic church being responsible because of its view on contraceptives is outrageous. Cite your scholarly source to back your claim. The source for HIV was in the MSM category.

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite...

Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) was first recognized as a new disease in the United States when clinicians in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco began to see young, homosexual men with Pneumocystis carinii (now P jiroveci) pneumonia (PCP) and Kaposi's sarcoma (KS), unusual diseases for young adults not known to be immunosuppressed. The first report in the medical literature that alerted the world to this new immunodeficiency syndrome appeared in June of 1981 and described five young, homosexual men in Los Angeles with PCP.(1) That observation was followed a few weeks later by a report of 26 homosexual men, from both New York and San Francisco, with KS (four of whom also had PCP).(2)
----------
It spread to women from men in the MSM category
Your bigotry is showing.
Grow up. Stop using childish tactics. That is if you want to be taken seriously.
Clean your own house before bringing your broom into mine.
Do you suffer from mood swings? What makes you think i have any interest in cleaning your house as you put it? Never mind, i am losing interest. Its just not worth the effort anymore.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#199204 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>Technically you are right. It is mostly due to stupidity. Unprotected sex with strangers.
[QUOTE] You're thinking locally. Heterosexual people are the ones spreading the disease and a big part of it comes from the Catholic Church's views on contraception. "

Prove it. You claim about the Catholic church being responsible because of its view on contraceptives is outrageous. Cite your scholarly source to back your claim. The source for HIV was in the MSM category.

Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) was first recognized as a new disease in the United States when clinicians in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco began to see young, homosexual men with Pneumocystis carinii (now P jiroveci) pneumonia (PCP) and Kaposi's sarcoma (KS), unusual diseases for young adults not known to be immunosuppressed. The first report in the medical literature that alerted the world to this new immunodeficiency syndrome appeared in June of 1981 and described five young, homosexual men in Los Angeles with PCP.(1) That observation was followed a few weeks later by a report of 26 homosexual men, from both New York and San Francisco, with KS (four of whom also had PCP).(2)
----------
[QUOTE] Your bigotry is showing. "

Grow up. Stop using childish tactics. That is if you want to be taken seriously.
[QUOTE] Clean your own house before bringing your broom into mine."

Do you suffer from mood swings? What makes you think i have any interest in cleaning your house as you put it? Never mind, i am losing interest. Its just not worth the effort anymore.
Pudding headed buffoon.

know what is true.

#199205 Jan 5, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
God condemns homosexuality as it is an aberration that benefits no one.
But please explain what absolute moral standard you are currently appealing to when you say intolerance of homosexuality is absolutely morally wrong?
Are you not an atheist that holds there are no absolute moral standards? So why are you appealing to them?
Absolute morals are ones that are beneficial or don't have an effect on the entirety of society, but positivity on ones self. As one who is homosexual does not have an adverse effect on society or themselves, yet opposing homosexuality, ie homophobia that you express, does have adverse effect on society as it disrupt it, and the individual that has no effect on your life, is immoral.

know what is true.

#199206 Jan 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
553 AD is worthless?
The whole year?
Man. Didn't see that coming.
Thanks again, Jim Shorts.
I just watched a documentary about the real life of Jesus called "Bible Secrets Revealed" and they used no references besides the Bible.... Why is that? Because there is none.

So anything that referrers to Jesus is worthless.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#199207 Jan 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just another of the rules in Leviticus that Xians don't follow. Pass the shaving cream.
Yeah. Like you will go to Hell for wearing cotton and polyester at the same time. Or for eating shrimp. Or eating a cheeseburger. God has some really weird rules, and most Christians just ignore them.

Location hidden

#199208 Jan 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
To put it nicely, your ignorance never ceases to amaze. HIV doesn't care what body it inhabits. It's not limited by sexuality.
Yawn. That is not in dispute. You accuse me of ignorance and at the same time create and argue to a phantom.
It's spreads through lines of discrimination - poverty, denial of health care, economic and food safety.
Food safety? That is a new one. It is mostly spread through unprotected multiple partner sex, not food.
No kidding homosexuals in the USA of the late 70's and 80's got it first.
The they are the source.
They suffered heavy discrimination during those times
Donor blood was contaminated and the disease was passed on to innocent victims receiving tainted blood. Naturally there was a backlash. You want to assign victim status to typhoid Marys eventually spreading incurable disease to innocents, through tainted blood, through infected males infecting females.
- and, if you had it your way, you'd continue that discrimination.
And if you have it your way HIV will only get worse in the United States.
Anyways, worldwide, HIV affects women between the ages of 20-45 more heavily than any other group - and their offspring. Rates are highest among the poor - and highest among women b/c women in many developing nations lack access to economic resources and gain them only through their bfs/husbands.
That is parts of Africa and the causes are multiple. Take parts of Africa out of the equation and the scenario is quite different. In the United States, for example the highest incidence is among blacks and MSM. The only value you have to offer is the tacit admission HIV is a global pandemic in spite of its 30+ years, things are not getting better overall. The fact being most people in the world are indeed poor esp in parts of Africa. It is almost as if you are saying the cause is poverty and the effect is HIV. No. The cause is unprotected multiple partner sex.

#199209 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I just don't know why young people are so supportive of homosexual rights when it will be them who will have to deal with the real implications that could develop later. The sheer cost involved in treating HIV on a mass scale is staggering and guess who is going to pay the freight? And it is mostly preventable. I still find it interesting you caught my error and nobody else did.
You do realize that HIV is not just a gay problem, don't you? It is passed on by having sex...not just by having gay sex.

But your rants on this subject are just showing that you are one of those that cherry picks his "facts" and ignores those that are inconvenient.

BTW...young people are supportive of equal rights for gay people because it is the right thing to do.

know what is true.

#199210 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yawn. That is not in dispute. You accuse me of ignorance and at the same time create and argue to a phantom.
<quoted text> Food safety? That is a new one. It is mostly spread through unprotected multiple partner sex, not food.
<quoted text> The they are the source. <quoted text> Donor blood was contaminated and the disease was passed on to innocent victims receiving tainted blood. Naturally there was a backlash. You want to assign victim status to typhoid Marys eventually spreading incurable disease to innocents, through tainted blood, through infected males infecting females. <quoted text> And if you have it your way HIV will only get worse in the United States.
<quoted text> That is parts of Africa and the causes are multiple. Take parts of Africa out of the equation and the scenario is quite different. In the United States, for example the highest incidence is among blacks and MSM. The only value you have to offer is the tacit admission HIV is a global pandemic in spite of its 30+ years, things are not getting better overall. The fact being most people in the world are indeed poor esp in parts of Africa. It is almost as if you are saying the cause is poverty and the effect is HIV. No. The cause is unprotected multiple partner sex.
I have always wondered, is it exhausting hating people that have nothing to do with you?

#199211 Jan 5, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>That's actually pretty hilarious.
While I was in the Air Force, I had a sergeant that told me aliens do not exist because they are not mentioned in the Bible. I asked him where the airplanes on the base came from since clearly they must not exist since airplanes aren't mentioned in the Bible either.

(Yeah, I'm a snarky bastard.)

#199212 Jan 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just brilliant, Ians! Just so you know, that will be copied, pasted and printed; then I will be sharing it with quite a few people.
On another forum, several years ago, I had posted the same letter. One Canadian agreed to be my slave. But that person has been a bad slave and has not followed my orders. They have not moved from Canada to take care of my every whim.

Location hidden

#199213 Jan 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that HIV is not just a gay problem, don't you?
Yes.
It is passed on by having sex...not just by having gay sex.
You do realize MSM is the source in the United States. From that point it has spread.
But your rants on this subject are just showing that you are one of those that cherry picks his "facts" and ignores those that are inconvenient.
Like you cherry pick my posts?
BTW...young people are supportive of equal rights for gay people because it is the right thing to do.
They will pay the price for their ignorance in spades.

#199214 Jan 5, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
But nobody/nothing is alive who was around back then. That's the whole thing about the creation v evolution debate.
Nobody living has seen our primordial ancestor crawling out of the ocean. Or the cavemen swinging their clubs. OTOH nobody has seen the Garden of Eden, and shared an apple with Adam and Eve.
To answer the thread question: whichever way you believe, you need to have faith.
But we have seen things like fossils and genes. Which puts evolutionary science miles and miles ahead of creationism...which hasn't even managed to leave the starting gate.

know what is true.

#199215 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Technically you are right. It is mostly due to stupidity. Unprotected sex with strangers.
<quoted text> Prove it. You claim about the Catholic church being responsible because of its view on contraceptives is outrageous. Cite your scholarly source to back your claim. The source for HIV was in the MSM category.
----------
<quoted text> Grow up. Stop using childish tactics. That is if you want to be taken seriously.
<quoted text> Do you suffer from mood swings? What makes you think i have any interest in cleaning your house as you put it? Never mind, i am losing interest. Its just not worth the effort anymore.
I don't understand your argument against homosexuality with the premise of HIV.
I don't want I pay for people who get cancer from smoking or people with complications from obesity like diabetes. And both of those out number those who have HIV and are also preventable.

The list could go on, but it would be exhausting.

Your argument is invalid.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#199216 Jan 5, 2014
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know Robin Roberts was gay?
Surprised the heck outta me........
Who?

#199217 Jan 5, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yes. <quoted text> You do realize MSM is the source in the United States. From that point it has spread.
Which was merely a happenstance, not a forgone conclusion. It could have been any sexually active population. In fact, the other group that was suffering from AIDS in the early days was heterosexual Jamaicans.

But you conveniently ignore that fact as well.

BTW...just how have I been "cherry picking" your posts? I have just been responding to individual statements you have made.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#199218 Jan 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
To put it nicely, your ignorance never ceases to amaze. HIV doesn't care what body it inhabits. It's not limited by sexuality.
It's spreads through lines of discrimination - poverty, denial of health care, economic and food safety.
No kidding homosexuals in the USA of the late 70's and 80's got it first. They suffered heavy discrimination during those times - and, if you had it your way, you'd continue that discrimination.
Anyways, worldwide, HIV affects women between the ages of 20-45 more heavily than any other group - and their offspring. Rates are highest among the poor - and highest among women b/c women in many developing nations lack access to economic resources and gain them only through their bfs/husbands.
Hey hidingfromme, how are you?

Just a question, why is HIV infection radically increasing among gays, the very group we have spent billions educating, and even more medicating?

Smile.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#199219 Jan 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist feeding Atheist to the dogs?
One of your fellow militant Atheist, Mr. Kim-Jong Un, the leader of North Korea has made the news again.
Seems recently there are stories floating around that the Atheist Kim-Jong Un resolved a little family conflict with his uncle by feeding him and 4 others to 120 dogs that have been starved for days. The feast lasted for about an hour and then it was over so we are told.
I guess that’s one way to eliminate anyone trying to run against you in the next election. But on the other hand his Uncle Jang Song Thaek must have been an Atheist too. Too bad this story didn’t end up like it did with Daniel in the lions den. But that’s what happens when you don’t have hope and a prayer.
We have discussed many times about a moral compass. A sense of right and wrong. It seems North Korea as an Atheist community doesn’t believe in human rights and morals. And how charming this Kim-Jong Un must be as a leader.
He has basketball star Dennis Rodmen going to make regular visits to see him. Dennis must be an Atheist too. I don’t think he sings in the local church Choir or anything like that. Good friends enjoying good friends.
Atheist killing Atheist kind of reminds me of how Mary Madalyn Murray O'Hair died. Then she was chopped up and discarded. Not hope or a prayer, just business of taking care of business.
From Wikipedia on O'Hair:
In 1995 she was kidnapped, murdered and mutilated along with her son Jon Murray and granddaughter Robin Murray O'Hair, by the former American Atheist office manager David Roland Waters.
I didn't know that. But it does confirm the word of God. We all, each one reap what we sow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Regolith Based Li... 40,477
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 6 min Pahu 3,749
Reasoning with Insanity 28 min thetruth 85
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 28 min thetruth 20,582
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 30 min thetruth 11
A Universe from Nothing? 34 min thetruth 57
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 43 min thetruth 4,659
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 55 min thetruth 232
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr thetruth 16,001
More from around the web