Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256028 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#198791 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is a moral absolute, then whether I follow it or not does not remove its moral obligation on me...
Oh I forgot. You haven't had a shave lately, I hope?

Leviticus 19:27
“‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198792 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So those gods are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent?
Which attributes are required for absolute moral standards to exist...
1. According to their followers, yes. Just like you and your deity and everyone else's.

2. Neither. Having power and knowledge do not give one morals. UN;ess you consider Hitler to be very moral. too.

Kill any adulterers or witches lately ? You deity said you ar supposed to. Why are you so immoral ?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198793 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever been to the mile-long stretch of dog beach over in Huntington? We took Tyson there,'twas a blast.
Then went to Zack's taco stand by the pier. I highly recommend it.
Place here called Taco bus. Good eats!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198794 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Yep, you are still a moron.
Q.: "Are Chihuahuas dogs ?"
R.R: "No, they are Chihuahuas."
According to RR the French aren't Europeans and the Egyptians aren't Africans.
ROFLMAO
Get up off the floor, Ben. You're embarrassing.

Just like you called the French, "French" right?

hmmm

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#198795 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever been to the mile-long stretch of dog beach over in Huntington? We took Tyson there,'twas a blast.
Then went to Zack's taco stand by the pier. I highly recommend it.
Been there many times. When my dog was young, he'd take off with other dogs and I had to run forever to get him back.
Parking can be a problem on weekends; and watch out for the runners and cyclists when you cross the path. And don't slip going down the slope to the beach.
Off to the gym.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198796 Jan 4, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. haven't seen RR all day ..
.. do you still have the silk scarf I sent you ??..
RR was spending quality time with Mrs RR's scarves.....

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#198797 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You confuse your desire to suppress the truth with the idea there is no evidence.
Your suppression of truth means you are incapable of perceiving truth. Evidence will do nothing for you as you do not really want it.
Besides, every time you try to appeal to absolute moral standards, you reveal your knowledge of the God you deny...
So because you - a total stranger - have prejudged my ability to evaluate evidence, you won't provide any evidence of your god's existence?

LOL

Nice cop-out.

Again, since you've never been able to prove that the god you worship is real (whichever one that is) why would his or her opinion on homosexuality be relevant?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198798 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes you a coward and a liar by your own posts.
BTW, You don't argue. You babble.
I should have never tried to tell you anything, you being a rank moron.

Reasoning with one who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to a dead man.
Jim

London, UK

#198800 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see those things as being existent.
Creationism is not trying to be an explanation, merely a childish excuse for a poor education.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198801 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm
Do you know what a Venn Diagram is ?

Google "rhetorical question" first.
Jim

London, UK

#198802 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the kids of the horny 48 year old dad that abandons his family for the 26 year old secretary.
Tell them it's the best thing.
Creationism, like many similar lies, hasn't really been able to stand the test of time.
Jim

London, UK

#198803 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm
"god" is how religious liars spell "I don't really know or care how the universe works",

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198804 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Reasoning with one who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to a dead man.
You are the one constantly contradicting yourself. That makes you mentally ill, a liar or stupid.

I'll wager on all three.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198805 Jan 4, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Been there many times. When my dog was young, he'd take off with other dogs and I had to run forever to get him back.
Parking can be a problem on weekends; and watch out for the runners and cyclists when you cross the path. And don't slip going down the slope to the beach.
Off to the gym.
It was a lot of fun, I gotta say.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198806 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
You have to keep one thing in mind when posting to Ben.

"Ben is always right and you are always wrong"

You can do it, Buck.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198807 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Do you know what a Venn Diagram is ?
Google "rhetorical question" first.
You said it yourself:'The French are Europeans."

But you didn't call them Europeans.

You called them French.

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198808 Jan 4, 2014
Jim wrote:
Creationism, like many similar lies, hasn't really been able to stand the test of time.
You are one of the smartest posters EVER!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198809 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
You are the one constantly contradicting yourself. That makes you mentally ill, a liar or stupid.
Oh, please. Everyone that disagrees with you is "mentally ill, a liar or stupid".

You're a fuckingidiot if you think you're always right.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198810 Jan 4, 2014
Jim wrote:
"god" is how religious liars spell "I don't really know or care how the universe works",
Provide evidence for your assertion.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198811 Jan 4, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I knew James and Paul had issues. And that Paul had to go before the counsel to basically convince then he was not teaching a gospel contrary to what Jesus taught. And that the biggest concern was his moving too far away from the law when emphasizing grace. Although he does cover it in things like Romans 13:8-14. But I have never heard that Jesus being the atonement for man's sins was not what was originally taught. Even Isaiah prophesied about the Suffering Servant. I would be curious what the claim is for why Jesus was crucified if not for atonement.
But I will check out your source. I try not to limit what I look into. It is why I have read the gnostic gospels as well. I have not found a lot as to how it was decided who was qualified to decide what books were authentic. Just that it was done by a committee of biblical scholars over a number of years. For instance I don't see anything in GoThomas that would have called for it to be excluded.
Anyway, point is I try to look at multiple perspectives and anything to do with the origins is of particular interest to me. So I will look into it
Fair enough.

I think reverence for Jesus demands a sober look. You might also look into deletions, additions, and revisions to scripture done by the Roman Church.

For instance, the doctrine of the Trinity was made up of whole cloth.

Also interesting is the attitude of Jesus and his disciples toward reincarnation, and how Rome had to reverse course to make each soul newly created. The problem solved there is this - if souls are born already in a relationship with God, why would the Church be indispensible to them?

And the church needed to be important.

Decree of The Fifth General Council, 553 A.D.:

"If anyone asserts the fabulous preexistence of souls, and shall assert the monstrous restoration which follows from it, let him be anathema".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Universe from Nothing? 4 min u196533dm 75
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 5 min Reason Personified 255
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 min SoE 40,676
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 29 min Eagle 12 20,604
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr ChristineM 16,157
Who Is Satan The Devil? Is He Real? (Jan '16) 3 hr Thinking 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Thinking 4,676
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr ChristineM 24,079
More from around the web