Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#198774 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
On the sunbkect of global warming:

The eruption of "Krakatoa" caused "the year without a summer" proving that nature in a single day is far more powerful than all mankind put together over centuries.
So you are open to the idea of the biblical flood then?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198775 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is a moral absolute, then whether I follow it or not does not remove its moral obligation on me...
Like the moral absolute to "not allow a witch to live." ?

Do you feel you are responsible and should be remorseful because you don't murder witches ?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#198776 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
God condemns homosexuality as it is an aberration that benefits no one.
But please explain what absolute moral standard you are currently appealing to when you say intolerance of homosexuality is absolutely morally wrong?
Are you not an atheist that holds there are no absolute moral standards? So why are you appealing to them?
Well, since you've never been able to prove that the god you worship is real (whichever one that is) why would his or her opinion on homosexuality be relevant?

Location hidden

#198777 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Like the moral absolute to "not allow a witch to live." ?

Do you feel you are responsible and should be remorseful because you don't murder witches ?
Gods judgement will come against all, did you know liars will be judged and condemned to death?

Are you against the idea of moral judgements and moral consequences?

Do you want judgement to be removed?

Location hidden

#198778 Jan 4, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>Well, since you've never been able to prove that the god you worship is real (whichever one that is) why would his or her opinion on homosexuality be relevant?
You confuse your desire to suppress the truth with the idea there is no evidence.

Your suppression of truth means you are incapable of perceiving truth. Evidence will do nothing for you as you do not really want it.

Besides, every time you try to appeal to absolute moral standards, you reveal your knowledge of the God you deny...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198779 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen.
Sleeping, or being unconscious, is being in the intelligent brain. It is fed by the senses - sight, sound, touch. It is the realm of comparison - judging yourself and others by comparing the two. It derives its owner's identity by the things around him.
I see a car, a house, a new power tool. I think I can get that, then that will be who I am. I will finally know who I am when I have the thing. Then we get it, and for a while we are content that we are that. Then it fades. "Is this all I am? I need to have something more."
The conscious man finds his identity in the deeper self. It is in between thoughts, away from the thinking head. Often it is in silence he finds it.
I think this is the secret of music. All music is spiritual. It turns off the thinking, turns on the feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A6R6yvz_wKYXX
Woah.....

"Music turns off the thinking and turns on the feeling."

That's deep.

I dig it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198780 Jan 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No. I don't like the advice or the name, but you're alright. In my circles, "redneck" is not a badge of honor as I suspect it is with you.
<quoted text>
I don't know why you think you know my motives, or why you think that I would lie about them. Your conclusion is based on nothing but faith. Let me show you how [1] reason and [2] evidence both contradict you.
[1] I told you that we didn't join the Rotary Club because they began meetings with a prayer and with the Pledge of Allegiance, which also contains a god mention, so why would I conceal my unwillingness to wish people a Merry Christmas if it was for the reason you suggest?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
[2] Also, how about the evidence of your own eyes? Here are five posts that contradict you.
Now what do you think?
I think I'll have another coffee.

Location hidden

#198781 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Would that be Odin or Zeus ?

Each is attributed to quite different moral codes.
So those gods are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent?

Which attributes are required for absolute moral standards to exist...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198782 Jan 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so. I can't find a legitimate reason to be antagonistic to gay people for being gay. If you have that attitude and express it or act on it, you deserve to be criticized
<quoted text>
There is no benevolence or politeness in that belief, and sincere prejudice is not a virtue.
This is a social tug of war, with millions of people each exerting a little force pulling one way or the other. It will be settled according to the vector sum of the individual forces.
I'm pretty sure that the forces of genuine benevolence and politeness, with a measure of empathy, kindness, tolerance and justice thrown in, will prevail, but it will take decades.
I realize that many Christians consider my attitude about the Christian church to be blind hatred and bigotry, but I can't see any way to defend an institution that teaches people to think like that, however sincere they are. And doing so, along with many other things it does, makes the church expendable to me.
Throw in atheophobia, sexual guilting, science demeaning, misogyny, a war on reproductive freedom, and social divisiveness, and it's pretty hard not to want to see it diminished.
I don't expect believers to agree, since those are often their values, so they wouldn't see those things as harmful.
I don't see those things as being existent.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198783 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods judgement will come against all, did you know liars will be judged and condemned to death?
Are you against the idea of moral judgements and moral consequences?
Do you want judgement to be removed?
As soon as you prove your deity exists, I will consider its opinions as more than just words written in a book.

Have you sold all you have and given the money t the poor ?

No ? I didn't think you believed in it. It is just a tool for you to pretend to be better than others. IN reality, it just makes you a liar.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198784 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You confuse your desire to suppress the truth with the idea there is no evidence....
1. It isn't Truth
2. Where is this evidence you claim to have ?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198785 Jan 4, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
RR says that cheating is always immoral. I'm saying there's no way to know that it's always wrong. If the definition of cheating dictates that harm is always done, I can see classifying it as immoral on that basis. Even if we go that far, a costs/benefits analysis may show that cheating will likely provide the best outcome compared to other available options.
Tell that to the kids of the horny 48 year old dad that abandons his family for the 26 year old secretary.

Tell them it's the best thing.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198786 Jan 4, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. I find Topix fascinating because it gives me the opportunity to observe, to learn. Why do you enjoy Topix? Is there an ultimate goal? If so, what is it ??..
I just like watching the fishies scurry.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198787 Jan 4, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so, we should make the most of life: broaden our horizons, treat others with dignity, help the weak, explore nature, share with friends and family, use our intellect to worthy ends, experience emotions.
The goal, as I see it, is to be fulfilled; to prepare for death in the knowledge that our life was lived well.
Socal's a good place to start, Buckaroo. Come on out--but no Fountain, please.
Ever been to the mile-long stretch of dog beach over in Huntington? We took Tyson there,'twas a blast.

Then went to Zack's taco stand by the pier. I highly recommend it.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#198788 Jan 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, don't play the same ole simple tune of Mary had a little lamb. Jazz it up my man.
Most often the "ole" tunes are the best, the one's that have stood the test of time and are played over and over by many different performers. These tunes never seem to get old, just like the acts of murder attributed by your God. It is astonishing that people like you actually worship a psychopathic killer and go to great lengths to justify his acts of murder, especially those of children and babies.

So you want me to "jazz" it up? Ok, how about God sending bears to tear to shreds some mischievous teenagers. Their crime for meeting such a grisly end? Mocking someones bald head, hows that for some Jazz on an ole theme?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#198789 Jan 4, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doctor, the boys down the street where I lived as a kid had a monkey. They abused that poor animal by beating it with a stick. Until one day the monkey had enough of the beatings and grabbed the stick from one of them.
Then the monkey went on to teach those boys what it was like to be on the opposite end of the stick. That monkey whipped their ever loving *sses.
I always prefer civility but sometimes one must grab that stick and show the abuser what it’s like to get a good ole country *ss whipping. Don’t feel sorry for “Just Think,” cause his smart *ss has it coming to him.
I hope you enjoyed your vacation down South. We missed you,[tipping hat].
Yes, I do understand.

Thanks, Belize was great, two weeks of diving, sailing, and sleeping in the warm sun. Sure beat the shit outta this friggin cold!!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#198791 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is a moral absolute, then whether I follow it or not does not remove its moral obligation on me...
Oh I forgot. You haven't had a shave lately, I hope?

Leviticus 19:27
“‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198792 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So those gods are omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent?
Which attributes are required for absolute moral standards to exist...
1. According to their followers, yes. Just like you and your deity and everyone else's.

2. Neither. Having power and knowledge do not give one morals. UN;ess you consider Hitler to be very moral. too.

Kill any adulterers or witches lately ? You deity said you ar supposed to. Why are you so immoral ?

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198793 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever been to the mile-long stretch of dog beach over in Huntington? We took Tyson there,'twas a blast.
Then went to Zack's taco stand by the pier. I highly recommend it.
Place here called Taco bus. Good eats!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198794 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Yep, you are still a moron.
Q.: "Are Chihuahuas dogs ?"
R.R: "No, they are Chihuahuas."
According to RR the French aren't Europeans and the Egyptians aren't Africans.
ROFLMAO
Get up off the floor, Ben. You're embarrassing.

Just like you called the French, "French" right?

hmmm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr Science 83,172
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 7 hr Science 2,576
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web