Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198754 Jan 4, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I knew James and Paul had issues. And that Paul had to go before the counsel to basically convince then he was not teaching a gospel contrary to what Jesus taught. And that the biggest concern was his moving too far away from the law when emphasizing grace. Although he does cover it in things like Romans 13:8-14. But I have never heard that Jesus being the atonement for man's sins was not what was originally taught. Even Isaiah prophesied about the Suffering Servant. I would be curious what the claim is for why Jesus was crucified if not for atonement.
But I will check out your source. I try not to limit what I look into. It is why I have read the gnostic gospels as well. I have not found a lot as to how it was decided who was qualified to decide what books were authentic. Just that it was done by a committee of biblical scholars over a number of years. For instance I don't see anything in GoThomas that would have called for it to be excluded.
Anyway, point is I try to look at multiple perspectives and anything to do with the origins is of particular interest to me. So I will look into it
The story of Jesus is a story of the Creative Force putting some skin in this game. Investing some emotion to see how its creations work from the inside. God walked a mile in man's shoes.

The purpose and intents can only be guessed at from this end, and get confused because of words.

Man is raw material being developed. There is a QA process involved. It isn't based upon words, but of suitability for those intents and purposes that can only be guessed at.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198755 Jan 4, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If your source confuses evolution and abiogenesis in its first slide, its criticisms of science will no longer be taken seriously.
What else do you have?
A person who can not tell the difference between manufacturing and maintenance will have a difficult time finding a position in industry beyond janitor.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198756 Jan 4, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Only the delusion matters Teddy. I hold the "church" responsible.
Juice! it's you!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198757 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Subjective and objective standards of morality seem to be the essence of your discussion?
Well I guess I would say I see all morality as subjective to some extent

Even the law is basically a reflection of the morals held by the majority of that society,

And if morality is subjective then I feel the social repercussions need to be too

Some would say the reasons someone commits a crime doesn't matter and the standard of justice should be objective. I would disagree.
Consider two examples:

1) Someone kills someone for their expensive sunglasses

2) Someone kills someone who raped their child

To me there has to be something in-between jury nullification and both people getting the same penalty/.

If the point of law is to have a moral society and to serve justice, then how do we not factor in things like likelihood of recidivism and reason for the crime? One person probably would have went their entire life without ever committing such a crime if their child wasn't raped. Another went looking for the opportunity to commit the crime. There were no mitigating circumstances.

In fact, I think exactly that should be a matter for the jury. And if they feel mitigating circumstances led to a crime that was unlikely to have occurred otherwise, they should be able to include that in a guilty verdict. Just like they can find someone innocent by reason of insanity, they should be able to find someone guilty but with mitigating circumstances. And such a verdict ought to allow a judge to go under the normal objective guidelines for punishment. That judges have had their hands tied by legislatures is an injustice IMO. Judges should not be required to give the same mandatory minimum to every defendant found guilty of a particular crime. I think while each crime has to be answered for, a judge who is privy to all the details is in the best position, along with the jury, to decide if circumstances warrant a more lenient sentence.Not every act, even the same act, is the same level of immoral IMO

(T) Peace

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198758 Jan 4, 2014
I have some posts i still want to reply to
But can't keep my eyes open
Will catch up with you guys tomorrow and finish then
Have a good one

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198759 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
Juice! it's you!
LOL

My money is on it.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#198760 Jan 4, 2014
Just Asking wrote:
<quoted text>You're an angry little lesbian, huh?
No I'm a Homo Sapiens. Are you?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#198761 Jan 4, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Say, Dogpile.
You're a big global warming guy.
Are you following the global warming scientists who went to Antarctica to document the shrinking ice, but got their ship stuck because the ice is wider and thicker than it normally is this time of year?
They called in a Chinese ice breaker ship, and it got stuck too!
Bwahahahahahhaaha....
The sea ice in the southern ocean has reached its highest level in decades.
Bwahahahahahahaha....
Yep! If all else fails, call the Aussies. We hopped to it like kangaroos.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/scientists-aboard...
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/an...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#198762 Jan 4, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess I would say I see all morality as subjective to some extent

Even the law is basically a reflection of the morals held by the majority of that society,

And if morality is subjective then I feel the social repercussions need to be too

Some would say the reasons someone commits a crime doesn't matter and the standard of justice should be objective. I would disagree.
Consider two examples:

1) Someone kills someone for their expensive sunglasses

2) Someone kills someone who raped their child

To me there has to be something in-between jury nullification and both people getting the same penalty/.

If the point of law is to have a moral society and to serve justice, then how do we not factor in things like likelihood of recidivism and reason for the crime? One person probably would have went their entire life without ever committing such a crime if their child wasn't raped. Another went looking for the opportunity to commit the crime. There were no mitigating circumstances.

In fact, I think exactly that should be a matter for the jury. And if they feel mitigating circumstances led to a crime that was unlikely to have occurred otherwise, they should be able to include that in a guilty verdict. Just like they can find someone innocent by reason of insanity, they should be able to find someone guilty but with mitigating circumstances. And such a verdict ought to allow a judge to go under the normal objective guidelines for punishment. That judges have had their hands tied by legislatures is an injustice IMO. Judges should not be required to give the same mandatory minimum to every defendant found guilty of a particular crime. I think while each crime has to be answered for, a judge who is privy to all the details is in the best position, along with the jury, to decide if circumstances warrant a more lenient sentence.Not every act, even the same act, is the same level of immoral IMO

(T) Peace
So man is the definer of morality, not God?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#198763 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
That congregation is extreme, but illustrates very nicely how readily people assimilate the dominant attitude in their church. Those people have heard an extreme message and are extreme.
<quoted text>
I think that virtually all homophobia in the West derives ultimately from a very popular bible that calls it a sin, and a church that teaches that.
Yes, that's true. They get judged by good Xians who read Leviticus in the Bible. Then the hypocrites don't follow a single one of the other Laws of Moses.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198764 Jan 4, 2014
On the sunbkect of global warming:

Earth has yet to return from the last "ice age" which began around 1350 AD.
The depiction in the painting "Washington Crossing the Delaware" it accurately depicts small icebergs in the Delaware River. That has not happened since about 1900.
The eruption of "Krakatoa" caused "the year without a summer" proving that nature in a single day is far more powerful than all mankind put together over centuries.

The planets climate has drastically changed over the last thousand years without any human activity to blame it on.

Only when the profit is taken out of the "global warming" issue is removed will the truth be revealed.

Reminds me of the Y2K nutters and conmen.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198765 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So man is the definer of morality, not God?
Which God ?

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#198766 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible teaches that homosexuality is an abomination to God...
Here are a few of the other rules in Leviticus.

15:19
“‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.
20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening.

19:9
9 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God.

19:19
“‘Keep my decrees.
“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals.
“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

19:23
“‘When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden.[b] For three years you are to consider it forbidden[c]; it must not be eaten. 24 In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. 25 But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God.

20:9
“‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

Do you follow any of these rules? Once you do, then you can start condemning the homosexuals; under Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198767 Jan 4, 2014
River Tam wrote:
We weren't having that discussion.
Do you consider the people of Argentina to be Americans?
Nope. They're Argentinians.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198768 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

K
"God, how did Joseph feel?"
Jim wrote:
No answer. what a pity.
Hey dipshit, you told me to ask God how Joseph felt.

You didn't ask me to report the answer.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198769 Jan 4, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. They're Argentinians.
Yep, you are still a moron.

Q.: "Are Chihuahuas dogs ?"

R.R: "No, they are Chihuahuas."

According to RR the French aren't Europeans and the Egyptians aren't Africans.

ROFLMAO

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198770 Jan 4, 2014
<quoted text>
What's its proud history? What would have to be the case for its history to be either proud or shameful?
By the way, the last sentence is not an essential part of the oath. According to Army Regulation 601-210 Chapter 6-18, it's optional.
That's for an enlisting officer who'd rather affirm than swear the oath.

pg84

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r601_210.pdf

Location hidden

#198771 Jan 4, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Which God ?
The God who's morality you appeal to when you make any moral judgement, God by definition has to be singular in nature to be God.

Location hidden

#198772 Jan 4, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Here are a few of the other rules in Leviticus.

15:19
“‘When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.
20 “‘Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Anyone who touches her bed will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 22 Anyone who touches anything she sits on will be unclean; they must wash their clothes and bathe with water, and they will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, they will be unclean till evening.

19:9
9 “‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God.

19:19
“‘Keep my decrees.
“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals.
“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

19:23
“‘When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden.[b] For three years you are to consider it forbidden[c]; it must not be eaten. 24 In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. 25 But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God.

20:9
“‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

Do you follow any of these rules? Once you do, then you can start condemning the homosexuals; under Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13.
If it is a moral absolute, then whether I follow it or not does not remove its moral obligation on me...

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198773 Jan 4, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The God who's morality you appeal to when you make any moral judgement, God by definition has to be singular in nature to be God.
Would that be Odin or Zeus ?

Each is attributed to quite different moral codes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 min Science 81,683
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 hr River Tam 33,031
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 23 hr Eagle 12 - 2,191
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web