Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#198628 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>Well we are all entitled to our opinions. Unfortunately some clowns see fit to paint everyone with the same brush using the same tired old tried and tested lines.Its a game.
Is that what you call the way you speak to a complete stranger, a game?

Did you learn it in Sunday school?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198629 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Why would we need to confess something God already knows, and knew we would do before we did it?”
Why would a husband need to confess to his wife he had been cheating? She knows he had been cheating. He knows that she knows he has been cheating. Everybody knows but with the confession comes the healing because without it the healing won’t ever come. It’s one thing to be a cheat and another to be a liar and a cheat.
“What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?”
That is up to the Judge.
“If God could cleanse you from all unrighteousness, why would he not cleanse you when he made you, and save a lot of suffering?”
Babies are born with a clean slate. But given enough time they will learn about what is right and wrong. Some will do more wrong than is right. With Christ we have a chance to start over again. It’s called being born again through repentance. It’s like a deep cleansing of the hard drive, starting over again with a clean slate.
“God is responsible for our sin. He created us, placed us in a world of sin, which is appealing and available, and he made us with the proclivity to commit sin.”
Romans 5:
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ
Why would he create a problem just to show he could solve it, but only after damaging consequences occur?
Why would men choose to go to the moon?“Not because it was easy but because it was hard.” JFK.
The Apollo 1 burned on the launch pad with three astronauts inside died. Was the damage so great to abandon the moon mission?
God loves to tinker around in his garage doing the most difficult task.
“Are you aware this salvation plan is utter nonsense?”
Excuse me, I’ll take a ticket to heaven.
Are you aware that this vicarious atonement through Jesus plan was fought by the followers of Jesus he left behind, who apparently didn't think Jesus taught any such thing, and they were the closest persons to him?
What??? Yo my man, you need a hard reboot.
Excellent post. I cut some of the scripture so I had room to respond. But like it says in James, God does not tempt any man to sin. And like Paul wrote, we are always given a way out of temptation. Man has free will and choice. He is can choose to do the right thing. I particularly liked how you explained the healing process that comes with repenting.

James 5:16
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#198630 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
I can't think of anything more pathetic and futile than threatening to hit people online.
Except maybe threatening people with imaginary hell.
I'm sure no one is shaking in their boots.
They'd need very long Warwicks, that's all I can say.
:D

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#198631 Jan 3, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. wisdom comes with awareness, awakening from a slumber ..
.. most people enjoy sleeping, makes life less difficult ..
<quoted text>
.. you know true wisdom when you read, hear, see or experience it. Something resonates in your inner life, a feeling of being alive, a connection with 'what is'..
.. to find wisdom, we must observe the best and worse that humans and the universe offer. For me, it's not about becoming a better person - it's about becoming, whatever that may be ..
.. I find Topix fascinating because it gives me the opportunity to observe, to learn. Why do you enjoy Topix? Is there an ultimate goal? If so, what is it ??..
I enjoy it because you can "hear" people's opinions, that you would otherwise not share in and have conversations ditto. And I'll admit, I enjoy a good online argument sometimes.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#198632 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what you call the way you speak to a complete stranger, a game?
Did you learn it in Sunday school?
You're a two bit wannabe provocateur and your latest post just confirms that fact.
Thats how I speak to someone who has no other agenda than to stir the pot.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#198633 Jan 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw this article on another thread. You might like it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micah-j-murray/...
Good on ya. That always sounded like one of Fred Nile's cliches anyway.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#198634 Jan 3, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>They'd need very long Warwicks, that's all I can say.
:D
Pmsl

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#198635 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>You're a two bit wannabe provocateur and your latest post just confirms that fact.
Thats how I speak to someone who has no other agenda than to stir the pot.
Wannabe? HA! Your responses, say otherwise.

Bubbling yet?

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#198636 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If a doctor needed doctoring would the doctor doing the doctoring doctor the doctor that needed the doctoring like the doctor doing the doctoring wanted to or would the doctor getting the doctoring get doctoring like he wanted from from the doctor doing the doctoring?
Festus Hagen.
Surgeon, heal thyself.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#198637 Jan 3, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, genius, that's why its illegal.
That, of course, and the fact that the vast majority of humans aren't sociopaths.
I do, however, wonder about the religious people on here who would apparently go on murder sprees if it weren't for their god.
Scary bunch of people.
Now that is a worry.
:-(

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#198638 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.
--The historical record of collective atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst year.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them
Redman's Law.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#198639 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Poindexter, history has shown us 148 million have died by communistic regimes that embraced Atheism as a part of their ideology. Too bad they didn’t believe in God.
This is why you need to have a long pony tail on your head. It comes in handy when it comes time to pull your head out of your *ss. And for crying out loud when you hear a loud “POP,” don’t ask,“What the hell was that?”
All the biblical evidence point to a murderous God, so if people DID believe in God, there would most likely be MORE people dying as followers would be inclined to follows their Gods example. With over 1 million deaths on his hands, he is clearly demonstrating that murdering others is totally acceptable. So just maybe it's a good thing that more people don't believe in God.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#198640 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Poindexter, history has shown us 148 million have died by communistic regimes that embraced Atheism as a part of their ideology. Too bad they didn’t believe in God.
This is why you need to have a long pony tail on your head. It comes in handy when it comes time to pull your head out of your *ss. And for crying out loud when you hear a loud “POP,” don’t ask,“What the hell was that?”
Recognize this?.........you should, you wrote it!!!!

Is this how you treat others with dignity?

"treat others with dignity,"

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#198641 Jan 3, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Wannabe? HA! Your responses, say otherwise.
Bubbling yet?
I am happy to do whatever I can do to help you feed that oh so needy ego.
LCNin

United States

#198642 Jan 3, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All the biblical evidence point to a murderous God, so if people DID believe in God, there would most likely be MORE people dying as followers would be inclined to follows their Gods example. With over 1 million deaths on his hands, he is clearly demonstrating that murdering others is totally acceptable. So just maybe it's a good thing that more people don't believe in God.
"All the biblical evidence point to a murderous God,.." standard troll generalization :-)

Pope Francis has 1 Billion Roman Catholic followers there may be be ten atheist evangelistic trolls on the threads?

A bit of hatred for those with faith dIsplayed here?
LCNin

United States

#198643 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
I am happy to do whatever I can do to help you feed that oh so needy ego.
In the American Civil War
the Americans won in the end.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#198644 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>I am happy to do whatever I can do to help you feed that oh so needy ego.
Oh thank you! You're too kind.

Is this you by any chance?

http://factualfacts.com/funny-facts/a-man-tri...

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#198645 Jan 3, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you must first interrogate and punish my enemies in my inner sanctum of obedience. Only then will the final phase of my plan be carried out ..
Nameth thine enemies and Sir Catcher will interrogate and punish harshly.

Nano? Bongo?

Just sayeth the word.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#198646 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack the necessary understanding, DogPoop.
You want to make it the public's business, and not the public's business.
You want it reflected in law, but private.
You don't get it both ways. Moron.
When did I ever say that I want to make it the public's business? LIke...never? What I and others like IANS have said is that we want the public to be tolerant. Which is something quite different...though you may have a difficult time shoehorning that idea into your thick skull.

What I want reflected in law is tolerance and equality for all. No need or even desire to ask, "Are you gay."

But tolerance doesn't seem to be something you do well. You might try to work on that at the same time you are working on not being insulting.

BTW...the not being insulting thing...you are doing it wrong.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#198647 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
It's not cool to wash today's dishes in last weeks water.
Apply that little metaphor to your deity belief.

Do you like it now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Brian_G 35,161
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 41 min Thinking 3,712
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 14,941
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 5 hr Thinking 157
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Thinking 20,097
News How 'new atheists' are just as dangerous as the... 13 hr emperorjohn 139
There are no such things as gods or fairies 23 hr Amused 102
More from around the web