Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258039 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198569 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so, we should make the most of life: broaden our horizons, treat others with dignity, help the weak, explore nature, share with friends and family, use our intellect to worthy ends, experience emotions.
The goal, as I see it, is to be fulfilled; to prepare for death in the knowledge that our life was lived well.
Socal's a good place to start, Buckaroo. Come on out--but no Fountain, please.
Can't see the need for all that if it ends in pain, extinction, and with no memory.

May as well busy myself with crime. It can be fun.

Prison is more confining than I care for, but you can't have everything.

Location hidden

#198570 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

After March 1. Bracelet comes off.

Unless the state of Alabama has further plans for me.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#198571 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You bounce back and forth between it being none of my business and it being accepted as a necessary societal norm.
It can't be both.
Just what are you referring to as "a necessary societal norm". Do you mean "asking if one is gay", since that was the topic I was discussing? I don't recall ever having promoted asking people what their sexual identity was. It isn't, IMHO, anyone else's business. If an individual wants to keep quiet on it, that is fine. If that person wants to express it to the world, that is fine too.

#198572 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar and a bigot and a smear artist. You live by the canard.
Then you preach about what is right or wrong.
Bigot, liar, hypocrite, asshole - that's you. Altogether, you are a despicable human being.
Barton offers more primary source documentation of his point of view than you have brain cells to comprehend.
He achieved. You lie. That's the sum of it. Moron.
You practice your same bigotry with anything that ruffles your dreams - including Intelligent Design. And you are not bright enough to do it well.
Add bumbling bigot to your CV.
LOL
LMAO
ROFL
ROFLMAO
Oh, you are such a funny guy, Buck.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198573 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so, we should make the most of life: broaden our horizons, treat others with dignity, help the weak, explore nature, share with friends and family, use our intellect to worthy ends, experience emotions.
The goal, as I see it, is to be fulfilled; to prepare for death in the knowledge that our life was lived well.
"treat others with dignity," ???
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198574 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama skipped a gym workout?
That comes close to treason.
Approaches Benedict Arnold and Joe McCarthy level.
The “Pres,” likes to play basketball for his workout.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#198575 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the trick.
Atheism is a belief - that no god exists.
But the atheist movement has attempted, with some success, to dilute the definition to "absence of belief in god".
They do that so as to relieve themselves from a burden of proof.
It leads to absurdities, such as a newborn being an atheist, or a dog, or a rock.
Some will even state that every baby is born an atheist, or that their cat is an atheist.
In Illinois, incidentally, cats can be voters, and atheists.
Most cats, along with dead people who vote, are democrats.
What proof concerning the existence of deities is there available to disprove?

B.

#198576 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar and a bigot and a smear artist. You live by the canard.
Then you preach about what is right or wrong.
Bigot, liar, hypocrite, asshole - that's you. Altogether, you are a despicable human being.
Barton offers more primary source documentation of his point of view than you have brain cells to comprehend.
He achieved. You lie. That's the sum of it. Moron.
You practice your same bigotry with anything that ruffles your dreams - including Intelligent Design. And you are not bright enough to do it well.
Add bumbling bigot to your CV.
Perhaps you should try reading Chris Rodda's Debunking David Barton's Jefferson Lies. You might actually learn some real history.

#198577 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Fogbreather, you can say brave things when there is an ocean separating us.
I bet you have a very punchable face.
Brits have a weak, inbred gene pool. That's why you have weak chins and bad teeth.
Your gums are so bad your spit looks like Yoohoo.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

Talk about projection!!!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#198578 Jan 3, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Moral absolutes can only exist if God exists.
Without God there is no right and wrong, there can be no absolute moral values.
Yet everyone lives as though there are absolute moral values, they just don't want to accept the logical conclusion that entails...
You do realize that those "rights" and "wrongs" you get from your god were actually written down by men and passed down through the generations, right?

You also realize that as mankind has moved through the millennia, what is viewed as right or wrong has changed, right?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198579 Jan 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a doctor
And yes we have Jesus as an advocate. But that doesn't take away the need for us to ask for forgiveness. We can do that through Christ
1 John 1:8-9
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Only believers could have the truth in them
Yet believers are still required to recognize when they sin and ask God to forgive them
If a doctor needed doctoring would the doctor doing the doctoring doctor the doctor that needed the doctoring like the doctor doing the doctoring wanted to or would the doctor getting the doctoring get doctoring like he wanted from from the doctor doing the doctoring?

Festus Hagen.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#198580 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not enough for me.
If 3 score and 7 is all there is, then it is as the writer said,...
"Nasty, brutish, and short"
I feel so bad for you.

I have had a marvelous 50+ years on this planet. What a special gift to be a conscious part of this Universe !

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#198581 Jan 3, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that those "rights" and "wrongs" you get from your god were actually written down by men and passed down through the generations, right?
You also realize that as mankind has moved through the millennia, what is viewed as right or wrong has changed, right?
If there's no god, there's no actual law, meaning its only a person's view that murder is wrong.

So if there's no god, there technically means that nothing is wrong with murder or any other bad thing.

Location hidden

#198582 Jan 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what are you referring to as "a necessary societal norm". Do you mean "asking if one is gay", since that was the topic I was discussing? I don't recall ever having promoted asking people what their sexual identity was. It isn't, IMHO, anyone else's business. If an individual wants to keep quiet on it, that is fine. If that person wants to express it to the world, that is fine too.
You lack the necessary understanding, DogPoop.

You want to make it the public's business, and not the public's business.

You want it reflected in law, but private.

You don't get it both ways. Moron.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198583 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text> Judging from that post its clear your brain is down under in more ways than one.
You have no proof of your deity.

Instead you insult anyone who doesn't believe in your invisible, do nothing, Sky Daddy.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198584 Jan 3, 2014
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>
My simple objection was if one makes a definitive statement, the burden of proof supporting that claim rests with the proclaimer.
Exactly!

Now, where is the proof of this deity YOU claim exists.

Location hidden

#198585 Jan 3, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel so bad for you.
I have had a marvelous 50+ years on this planet. What a special gift to be a conscious part of this Universe !
A special gift?

You were an insignificant accident in a long series of accidents.

If this life is all there is, you mean nothing, and no note should be taken of you.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#198586 Jan 3, 2014
Some say their cup of life is half full.
Some say their cup of life is half empty.

I say their cup is too damn big.

Be grateful for what you have.

Location hidden

#198587 Jan 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
LMAO
ROFL
ROFLMAO
Oh, you are such a funny guy, Buck.
As funny as this?

Buck Crick wrote:

<quoted text>
There is a contradiction unless you use different rules.

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:

No contradiction. The contradiction arises IF you try to use the same rules.

Bwahahahaha...it's funny every time.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198588 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
were the closest persons to him?
“Why would we need to confess something God already knows, and knew we would do before we did it?”

Why would a husband need to confess to his wife he had been cheating? She knows he had been cheating. He knows that she knows he has been cheating. Everybody knows but with the confession comes the healing because without it the healing won’t ever come. It’s one thing to be a cheat and another to be a liar and a cheat.

“What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?”

That is up to the Judge.

“If God could cleanse you from all unrighteousness, why would he not cleanse you when he made you, and save a lot of suffering?”

Babies are born with a clean slate. But given enough time they will learn about what is right and wrong. Some will do more wrong than is right. With Christ we have a chance to start over again. It’s called being born again through repentance. It’s like a deep cleansing of the hard drive, starting over again with a clean slate.

“God is responsible for our sin. He created us, placed us in a world of sin, which is appealing and available, and he made us with the proclivity to commit sin.”

Romans 5:

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Why would he create a problem just to show he could solve it, but only after damaging consequences occur?

Why would men choose to go to the moon?“Not because it was easy but because it was hard.” JFK.

The Apollo 1 burned on the launch pad with three astronauts inside died. Was the damage so great to abandon the moon mission?

God loves to tinker around in his garage doing the most difficult task.

“Are you aware this salvation plan is utter nonsense?”

Excuse me, I’ll take a ticket to heaven.

Are you aware that this vicarious atonement through Jesus plan was fought by the followers of Jesus he left behind, who apparently didn't think Jesus taught any such thing, and they were the closest persons to him?

What??? Yo my man, you need a hard reboot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min Chimney1 48,467
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 5 hr hpcaban 5
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr ChristineM 23,489
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) Sat ChristineM 21,863
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Sat Eagle 12 4,907
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Fri Scaritual 14
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Nov 29 Richardfs 5
More from around the web