Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198550 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
"They went in search evidence of the world’s melting ice caps, but instead a team of climate scientists have been forced to abandon their mission … because the Antarctic ice is thicker than usual at this time of year.
The scientists have been stuck aboard the stricken MV Akademik Schokalskiy since Christmas Day, with repeated sea rescue attempts being abandoned as icebreaking ships failed to reach them.
Now that effort has been ditched, with experts admitting the ice is just too thick. Instead the crew have built an icy helipad, with plans afoot to rescue the 74-strong team by helicopter."
Bwahahahahahahahahahahah...
Arctic ice was up 29% last year. Antarctic ice (overall volume) is the highest in thirty-five years.
Bwahahahahahahahahah...
The Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI) issued a press release that indicated “sea ice in the Southern Ocean has reached the highest extent in the last decades. It was only in the mid-1970s that a similar sea ice extent had been observed.” The Cryosphere released a paper stating that Antarctica has been gaining surface ice and snow accumulation for the last 150+ years.
The earth’s temperature has cycled long before man arrived on the scene.

The jury is out in my mind how much damage fossil fuels and Freon type gases have on the weather.

I do believe storms seem to be getting more violent and stronger these days. This weekend we are be going to see temperatures below -10.

The same goes for the summer time. Storms, tornadoes and hurricane’s seem to be larger and stronger than before.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198551 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we are talking about birth control let me say the following. I’m not Catholic and disagree with the Catholic church in many of their teachings. I would recommend people in the Catholic church to leave that denomination

The RCC has softened its stance on birth-control

In addition, 82% of Catholics polled find birht control to be morally acceptable

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154799/americans-i...

IMO it is a faulty biblical interpretation that marital sex is only for procreation. First off, the two times in the Bible it says "go forth and multiply" are after the flood and after the garden. Both times when procreation would have been necessary for practical reasons. Even If one takes Genesis as literal. Paul said better to marry if one can not control their passions. And the Bible also says the marriage bed should be held sacred. But nowhere does it say man and wife can not engage in the act of love as an act of marriage
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t believe in abortions as a method of birth control. There’re far better, safer and cheaper methods than abortion. It’s barbaric and often traumatic for the patient. Now having said that there may be special circumstances medically that require abortion.
My wife and I had only two children. I would have loved to have more but those little rug rats are expensive. If I had been rich and unlimited income I would have had several more. I love kids and especially grandkids. Right now I only have only 4 grandkids.
I agree

This touches on what I was talking about with Tide. When there are other options and better options, people still tend to take the ones best for them regardless of the morality for self-serving reasons. People could simply engage in more responsible sex where they use birth control if they don't want to create life
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is a subject that comes up a lot in our thread. Gays have been around since Noah’s day. It is believed one of his sons was either bi-sexual or homosexual. God allowed Noah’s son to be saved because he met the minimum requirement.
I don’t hate homosexuals and don’t believe they should be discriminated against in our society. That means they should have the rights we all have as individuals.
I agree
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
However I do not support redefining traditional marriage to include same sex couples.
But then how can they have the same rights when so many secular rights have been attached to marriage such as spousal privileged, dependencies for tax-purposes, tax exceptions, citizenship, medical decisions, etc, etc. One secular rights were attached to a religious sacrament, I believe we lost the right to ownership or to define marriage. IMO all marriages should have been civil unions and then if someone wants to also get married they do it in their church
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now many as yourself fell compelled to tell Christians what we should and should not believe. The bible teaches us that the act of homosexuality is a sin. So is eating and drinking too much. God can and will forgive the sinner. The bible says we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We are all sinners, past, present, or future.
By the grace and mercy of God we get forgiveness and redemption through his name when we ask for it.
When the Bible says all have fallen short it is talking about why everyone needs a savior. But once someone comes into the faith, they are expected not to sin as it says those that continue to deliberately sin are no longer covered by the sacrifice and are not born of God

1 John 3:8–9, Hebrews 10:26

However thru obedience forgiveness can still be had

Matthew 6:14-15, James 5:16

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#198552 Jan 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>To me, even in the Bible, there are certain things we can use to guide our reaction:

Things such as:

Love thy neighbor
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Do not hypocritically judge

But here is the thing, when I say there are few moral absolutes, I am talking about for society and being imposed on people. For Christians we have many and we choose to accept them. But it is between man and God when someone fails to live by the code. Which is why when dealing with societal morals, often turned into law and forced on people where they are punished for failing to live by them, we need to take a close look at how those particular rules came to be.

IMO when the law is taken out of the equation, morals are essentially a code each individual goes by. And for that individual the morals are absolute. But that code likely has what 'exceptions' they see built in to the code and doesn't have to worry about convincing others. This is why I HATE minimum sentencing guidelines for crimes and mandatory minimums. A judge is supposed to be able to take mitigating factors into consideration and show mercy when called for yet the legislature has taken that power from the person who should be in the best position to judge. Both the case and the need for mercy.

Which is another reason why I would like to see exceptions built into law in the form of degree. I dunno, something like stealing $100 tennis shows is a felony but stealing food from a grocery store because your family is starving is a misdemeanor. Granted it shifts the burden of proof for degree onto the defendant, but let's face it, the burden to prove himself not-guilty is pretty much already there too.

I got off on a rant but basically when it comes to law and penalty I do think there ought to be better ways to take mitigating factors into account

(T) Peace
Hello :-)

Do those morals exist whether we obey them or not?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198553 Jan 3, 2014
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Look what sad creature hath spawned from the sewers of Creationism's Discovery Institute...
We got the message Jim, you don’t like believers. We understand, it’s clear about your position, we got it.

Now try fooling us with a little more depth to your intellect.

Instead of repeating yourself like a parakeet locked up in a cage.

Say something different for a change.

Location hidden

#198554 Jan 3, 2014
Messed up the quotes in the last post

First part should look like this
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we are talking about birth control let me say the following. I’m not Catholic and disagree with the Catholic church in many of their teachings. I would recommend people in the Catholic church to leave that denomination.
The RCC has softened its stance on birth-control

In addition, 82% of Catholics polled find birht control to be morally acceptable

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154799/americans-i ...

IMO it is a faulty biblical interpretation that marital sex is only for procreation. First off, the two times in the Bible it says "go forth and multiply" are after the flood and after the garden. Both times when procreation would have been necessary for practical reasons. Even If one takes Genesis as literal. Paul said better to marry if one can not control their passions. And the Bible also says the marriage bed should be held sacred. But nowhere does it say man and wife can not engage in the act of love as an act of marriage

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198555 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth’s temperature has cycled long before man arrived on the scene.
The jury is out in my mind how much damage fossil fuels and Freon type gases have on the weather.
I do believe storms seem to be getting more violent and stronger these days. This weekend we are be going to see temperatures below -10.
The same goes for the summer time. Storms, tornadoes and hurricane’s seem to be larger and stronger than before.
The data shows there has been no increase in number or intensity of storms.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198556 Jan 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw this article on another thread. You might like it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micah-j-murray/...
“What's amazing about Jesus is that when he hung out with sinners, he didn't act like they were sinners. They weren't a "project," a "mission field." They were his friends. People with names. Defined as beloved children of the Creator, not defied by their sins. Icons of God's image. His brothers and sisters.”

“But Jesus knelt with her in the sand. Unafraid to get dirty. Unafraid to affirm her humanity. "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more."

----------

17 When Jesus heard it, He said unto them,“They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Mark 2:17 (KJ21)

Location hidden

#198557 Jan 3, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello :-)
Do those morals exist whether we obey them or not?
What morals are you referring to?

Individual?

Biblical?

Societal?

I guess regardless I would say they exist but who is obligated to recognize them and follow them is a different matter
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198558 Jan 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>I agree
This touches on what I was talking about with Tide. When there are other options and better options, people still tend to take the ones best for them regardless of the morality for self-serving reasons. People could simply engage in more responsible sex where they use birth control if they don't want to create life
<quoted text>
I agree
<quoted text>
But then how can they have the same rights when so many secular rights have been attached to marriage such as spousal privileged, dependencies for tax-purposes, tax exceptions, citizenship, medical decisions, etc, etc. One secular rights were attached to a religious sacrament, I believe we lost the right to ownership or to define marriage. IMO all marriages should have been civil unions and then if someone wants to also get married they do it in their church
<quoted text>
When the Bible says all have fallen short it is talking about why everyone needs a savior. But once someone comes into the faith, they are expected not to sin as it says those that continue to deliberately sin are no longer covered by the sacrifice and are not born of God
1 John 3:8–9, Hebrews 10:26
However thru obedience forgiveness can still be had
Matthew 6:14-15, James 5:16
1 John 2:1
King James Version (KJV)

2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

A advocate my good Doctor is a lawyer.

Location hidden

#198559 Jan 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw this article on another thread. You might like it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/micah-j-murray/...
Its a good article and his heart is in the right place

And he touches on some important issues such as isolating one set of people for extra scrutiny and judgment

And for us to say we need tolerance for those whoa re gay ignored the fact that the same standard is them missing for we need tolerance for those who commit any of the other 666 sins listed in the Bible

It goes to the heart of the hypocrisy

Unless we are sinless we are no better. So to think of us as two groups of people where one group creates a more acceptable sin is absurd and not biblical. The punishment for all sin is death. All sin is the same to God.(Except blasphemy of the Spirit and sins directly against God as told to Moses). Yet people seem to love to pat themselves on the back for not engaging in a hate mentality without realizing they are still contributing to the proble,

Until people accept their sins are no better than the sins they rail against, the problem will persist

Although again, this is why I think see people simply rationalize their bigotry with the Bible. Not everyone who thinks it is a sin is a bigot. But everyone who thinks their sins are better or they are better is IMO

(T) Peace

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#198560 Jan 3, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
1 John 2:1
King James Version (KJV)
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
A advocate my good Doctor is a lawyer.
I am not a doctor

And yes we have Jesus as an advocate. But that doesn't take away the need for us to ask for forgiveness. We can do that through Christ

1 John 1:8-9
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Only believers could have the truth in them

Yet believers are still required to recognize when they sin and ask God to forgive them

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#198561 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I think life here is short.
I'm odd that way. I'm surprised nobody else has thought of it.
And so, we should make the most of life: broaden our horizons, treat others with dignity, help the weak, explore nature, share with friends and family, use our intellect to worthy ends, experience emotions.

The goal, as I see it, is to be fulfilled; to prepare for death in the knowledge that our life was lived well.

Socal's a good place to start, Buckaroo. Come on out--but no Fountain, please.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198562 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The data shows there has been no increase in number or intensity of storms.
interesting [tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198563 Jan 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a doctor
And yes we have Jesus as an advocate. But that doesn't take away the need for us to ask for forgiveness. We can do that through Christ
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Yet believers are still required to recognize when they sin and ask God to forgive them
Sorry for the error,[tipping hat]

Catcher1

United States

#198564 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
SYNCHRONICITY
ObamaCare Begins Wreaking Havoc on Americans
Fifty States of Obamacare Confusion, Stress, and Aggravation
By Jim Geraghty, The National Review
From the last Morning Jolt of the week:
Fifty States of Obamacare Confusion, Stress, and Aggravation
----------
(AP) President Barack Obama's Hawaii vacation: Day 13
KAILUA, Hawaii
How President Barack Obama spent Day 13 of his holiday vacation in Hawaii on Thursday:
-- GOLF: For the second day in a row, Obama skipped a morning workout at the gym and instead headed to the golf course.
On Thursday, he played Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course at Marine Corps Base Hawaii with an unusual partner -- New Zealand Prime Minister John Key. Obama plays often -- the president has teed off frequently during his vacation -- but he rarely plays outside a close circle of friends and advisers.
Obama skipped a gym workout?
That comes close to treason.
Approaches Benedict Arnold and Joe McCarthy level.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198565 Jan 3, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a doctor
Why would we need to confess something God already knows, and knew we would do before we did it?

What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?

If God could cleanse you from all unrighteousness, why would he not cleanse you when he made you, and save a lot of suffereing?

God is responsible for our sin. He created us, placed us in a world of sin, which is appealing and available, and he made us with the proclivity to commit sin.

Why would he create a problem just to show he could solve it, but only after damaging consequences occur?

Is it conspicuous to you that this message has been perpetuated by men in groups that profited from that alleged need to restore communion with God by a forgiveness process, as they operated something called a "church", which was the exclusive provider?

If Adam is to blame, what in hell does that have to do with me?

Are you aware this salvation plan is utter nonsense?

Are you aware that this vicarious atonement through Jesus plan was fought by the followers of Jesus he left behind, who apparently didn't think Jesus taught any such thing, and they were the closest persons to him?

Catcher1

United States

#198566 Jan 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>

What happens if you die committing the sin, before you have a chance to ask forgiveness?
You're f*cked, Buck.

The lake of fire, for eternity.

Pitchforks, groans and screams, unsavory bedfellows, you name it.

So stop the sinning, ask forgiveness, and wait for death.

The foregoing counsel is provided by Catcher, Esq. on a pro bono basis.

(At the moment, I'm relatively close to heaven--38,000 feet.)

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198567 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama skipped a gym workout?
That comes close to treason.
Approaches Benedict Arnold and Joe McCarthy level.
Oh, I agree.

His punishment is at hand.

Wait till Michelle finds out. It'll be as bad as when he sneaks cigarettes.

Perhaps you missed the point.

What would the American media be saying if W. passed a partisan bill, as his signature accomplishment, revamping a sixth of the economy, and when it took effect amid mass confusion, he was vacationing in Hawaii?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198568 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>

You're f*cked, Buck.
The lake of fire, for eternity.
Pitchforks, groans and screams, unsavory bedfellows, you name it.

)
Doesn't scare me. I lived in Birmingham.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198569 Jan 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so, we should make the most of life: broaden our horizons, treat others with dignity, help the weak, explore nature, share with friends and family, use our intellect to worthy ends, experience emotions.
The goal, as I see it, is to be fulfilled; to prepare for death in the knowledge that our life was lived well.
Socal's a good place to start, Buckaroo. Come on out--but no Fountain, please.
Can't see the need for all that if it ends in pain, extinction, and with no memory.

May as well busy myself with crime. It can be fun.

Prison is more confining than I care for, but you can't have everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 38 min Samuel Patre 87,475
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 11 hr Simon 5,820
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed ChristineM 4,035
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web