Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198445 Jan 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Actually they do, except US Americans tend to forget there are other "Americans" and forget they are "North Americans" thinking (American) means US American, when the only true "Americans" are Indians. So the British solved it by calling us "Yanks".
How about calling them "Indians"?
[4:38 YouTube of Louis CK on calling them Indians]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198446 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Then our conclusion is that nobody who holds beliefs with any antagonism to homosexuality can express them without incurring the label "homophobe".
I think so. I can't find a legitimate reason to be antagonistic to gay people for being gay. If you have that attitude and express it or act on it, you deserve to be criticized
Buck Crick wrote:
This confirms it is a phony term for marginalizing a particular belief, no matter how benevolent, polite, and sincere the person holding the belief is. More rhetorical gamesmanship.
There is no benevolence or politeness in that belief, and sincere prejudice is not a virtue.

This is a social tug of war, with millions of people each exerting a little force pulling one way or the other. It will be settled according to the vector sum of the individual forces.

I'm pretty sure that the forces of genuine benevolence and politeness, with a measure of empathy, kindness, tolerance and justice thrown in, will prevail, but it will take decades.

I realize that many Christians consider my attitude about the Christian church to be blind hatred and bigotry, but I can't see any way to defend an institution that teaches people to think like that, however sincere they are. And doing so, along with many other things it does, makes the church expendable to me.

Throw in atheophobia, sexual guilting, science demeaning, misogyny, a war on reproductive freedom, and social divisiveness, and it's pretty hard not to want to see it diminished.

I don't expect believers to agree, since those are often their values, so they wouldn't see those things as harmful.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198447 Jan 2, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so. I can't find a legitimate reason to be antagonistic to gay people for being gay. If you have that attitude and express it or act on it, you deserve to be criticized
<quoted text>
There is no benevolence or politeness in that belief, and sincere prejudice is not a virtue.
This is a social tug of war, with millions of people each exerting a little force pulling one way or the other. It will be settled according to the vector sum of the individual forces.
I'm pretty sure that the forces of genuine benevolence and politeness, with a measure of empathy, kindness, tolerance and justice thrown in, will prevail, but it will take decades.
I realize that many Christians consider my attitude about the Christian church to be blind hatred and bigotry, but I can't see any way to defend an institution that teaches people to think like that, however sincere they are. And doing so, along with many other things it does, makes the church expendable to me.
Throw in atheophobia, sexual guilting, science demeaning, misogyny, a war on reproductive freedom, and social divisiveness, and it's pretty hard not to want to see it diminished.
I don't expect believers to agree, since those are often their values, so they wouldn't see those things as harmful.
Your sincere prejudice against Christianity is noted.

Along with other examples of your abundant hypocrisy all wrapped up in just a few paragraphs.

You did better than I could in displaying your hypocrisy. Thank you very much.

Atheist intelligence and ethics is a sight to behold. The power of it is awesome. No other philosophy could win friends and influence enemies by calling almost one third of the world a bunch of idiots in addition to being murderers. pedophiles, rapists, and just general moral deficients. And we aren't even counting another third that are even worse. And a huge chunk of the remaining that thinks such activity is less than good taste or civil discourse.

But the modern atheists just know they will win the battle by sheer force of personality and righteousness of cause in spite of the vector sum difference.

You keep telling the world how stupid they, and their ancestors were/are, IANS.

You're doing a fine job of advancing your cause, the salvation of mankind.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#198448 Jan 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
Wisdom is knowing you really need a good reason to do something stupid.
<The Dave Nelson> "... like this one time I used telluric geomagnetic *GHOST MAGIC* that I learned - from the electric green mist snake when I died - to try and levitate from the rooftop of my apt. complex to the Burger Hof for a chili cheese schnitzel ..."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#198449 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I’m going to ask you a very personal question and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want too.

Are you a homosexual?

Westcliffe, CO

#198450 Jan 2, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "... like this one time I used telluric geomagnetic *GHOST MAGIC* that I learned - from the electric green mist snake when I died - to try and levitate from the rooftop of my apt. complex to the Burger Hof for a chili cheese schnitzel ..."
It's a more scenic trip than teleporting.

Besides, teleporting tends to disturb the customers in line and the staff.

Westcliffe, CO

#198451 Jan 2, 2014
"secular bible study"

http://www.meetup.com/AtheistCommunityCS/

I love that.

IANS and his brethren should move to Colorado. Looks like they may find a home at that place. Plus the dope is legal.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#198452 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
You are drawing a false equivalence. Bush Jr. availed himself of legal deferment from the draft. He also volunteered to fly choppers in Vietnam. Clinton was sent a draft notice, and managed, somehow, to evade its consequences.
Also, questioning someone's patriotism, or outright calling them unpatriotic is not accusing them of being a traitor. That's the fallacy of false dilemna.
If you have examples of political figures who are in agreement with me committing such acts as Clinton and Kerry, you should mention them, and I will address them consistently.
That would be a more valid approach than your blind speculation on the matter.
Then there was Janet Reno. Ruby Ridge, Waco. The witch Hunts

http://www.counterpunch.org/2002/09/24/janet-...
It is important to grasp that what happened in Waco was no accident, that the Davidians were killed on purpose in an act of revenge by the American government. And it is important to know just how they were killed, that the method of their killing was as grisly and evil as anything perpetrated by Saddam Hussein.

On the morning of April 19, 1993, the FBI smashed holes into the Davidian church complex and began pumping in a chemical warfare agent known as CS (o-chlorobenzylidenemalononitr ile). It is a solid in the form of white crystals. The FBI dissolved the CS powder in an organic solvent so they could liquid spray it into the buildings.
http://www.chromehorse.net/rants/rants2007/20...
In a nutshell, Frank Fuster was convicted during the hysterical 80's rash of Satanic Ritual Abuse Cases which, to most sensible people, has now been as thoroughly discredited as the Salem witch trials.

Prosecutors believed that the the children, who almost always initially denied that abuse had taken place, were lying, and had to be "compelled" to give accurate testimony, through hours and hours and hours of interrogation, if necessary. Ileana Fuster, Frank's wife, was mercilessly bullied, threatened, and frightened into testifying against her husband.

(It is remarkably possible that the prosecutors honestly thought that Frank was guilty. I don't think that excuses the absolutely militant stupidity with

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#198453 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen.
Sleeping, or being unconscious, is being in the intelligent brain. It is fed by the senses - sight, sound, touch. It is the realm of comparison - judging yourself and others by comparing the two. It derives its owner's identity by the things around him.
I see a car, a house, a new power tool. I think I can get that, then that will be who I am. I will finally know who I am when I have the thing. Then we get it, and for a while we are content that we are that. Then it fades. "Is this all I am? I need to have something more."
The conscious man finds his identity in the deeper self. It is in between thoughts, away from the thinking head. Often it is in silence he finds it.
I think this is the secret of music. All music is spiritual. It turns off the thinking, turns on the feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A6R6yvz_wKYXX
Also art.

Vincent.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#198454 Jan 2, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. McCarthy was seeking political power. The communist witch hunts he initiated were merely an means to that end.
And IMHO it is quite right to associate his name with witch hunts that in the end destroy innocent people's lives. After all, that is exactly what he did.
But then, this is just another case of the right wing trying to rewrite history. McCarthy was one of their own and they desperately want to sanitize his legacy.
You didn't present any history to rewrite.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198455 Jan 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope is the burning embers of faith.
By the way I did watch your testimony which I thought was very good.
[tipping hat]
I did more time since then. 3 years.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#198456 Jan 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a more scenic trip than teleporting.
Besides, teleporting tends to disturb the customers in line and the staff.
At least you were wearing the water wings.

Sorta' broke the fall I guess.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198457 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_unc...
<quoted text>
Which paradigm is that, Buck?
This one:

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198458 Jan 2, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck suffers from CDO. That is just like OCD except it is in alphabetical order.
(You might notice that Buck, as usual, resorts to references of physical violence in his analogies.)
Oh yeah? Like squeezing your head till your ass bleeds?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198459 Jan 2, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Also art.
Vincent.
Oh yes.

Glimpses of life through the eyes of an earth-locked spirit.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#198460 Jan 2, 2014
And poetry:

A Glimpse

A GLIMPSE, through an interstice caught,
Of a crowd of workmen and drivers in a bar-room, around the stove,
late of a winter night--And I unremark'd seated in a corner;
Of a youth who loves me, and whom I love, silently approaching, and
seating himself near, that he may hold me by the hand;
A long while, amid the noises of coming and going--of drinking and
oath and smutty jest,
There we two, content, happy in being together, speaking little,
perhaps not a word.

Walt Whitman

Westcliffe, CO

#198461 Jan 2, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
And poetry:
A Glimpse
A GLIMPSE, through an interstice caught,
Of a crowd of workmen and drivers in a bar-room, around the stove,
late of a winter night--And I unremark'd seated in a corner;
Of a youth who loves me, and whom I love, silently approaching, and
seating himself near, that he may hold me by the hand;
A long while, amid the noises of coming and going--of drinking and
oath and smutty jest,
There we two, content, happy in being together, speaking little,
perhaps not a word.
Walt Whitman
"and seating himself near, that he may hold me by the hand;"

?

Walt was gay?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#198462 Jan 2, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_unc...
<quoted text>
Which paradigm is that, Buck?
The one made of two coins?

#198463 Jan 2, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your sincere prejudice against Christianity is noted.
What prejudice, Dave? Or are you one of those that thinks criticizing a person's positions is the same as doing harm to the person? If that is the case, then you yourself are guilty of a great deal of prejudice.

The extreme position against gays that some Christians hold is worthy of criticism.

#198464 Jan 2, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m going to ask you a very personal question and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want too.
Are you a homosexual?
Jeez. Talk about stereotyping someone. Or do you think that the ONLY reason someone would be supportive of gays is because they are gay themselves?

The question itself is highly offensive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Endofdays 81,921
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 5 hr Science 2,206
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sat Science 33,086
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Oct 18 Eagle 12 - 3,978
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Oct 11 old_moose 233
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Oct 10 blacklagoon 3 94
Deconversion (Feb '17) Oct 10 Eagle 12 - 145
More from around the web