Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255311 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

#198170 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how atheists lie about who they are.
Get a conscience.
Lol
Still no life... Enjoy your misery!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198171 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, no power. Power is an illusion of the ego. When you can learn to let that go and understand that you're in control of nothing, everything seems easier.
I tried that when driving and it worked out terribly:)

Although in seriousness, I don't believe we have no control. It is just some things we do and some things we don't. The serenity prayer says it best:

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference...."

The rest is pretty cool too but obviously this is the part directly on point. I know you know this prayer but I always like seeing it again

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198172 Jan 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Only those that think book learning exclusively is actual learning.
Books introduce you to things that you need to build upon to understand. Brains are supposed to be something more than buckets.
For all your talk, IANS, you are still just a pew warmer reciting verses you heard. You have dendrites that are supposed to modify the nerves feeding your brain, doing the nuance and total consciousness thingy that seem to have rotted at an earlier age. Your mental growth got stunted.
I said you read books but you are so focused on the input of your eyes and getting smart you aren't pulling together other knowledge and experiences to make a complete picture of what you are reading about. Myopia of consciousness.
This is a bit off point but reminds me of something. Years ago when taking drivers ed I remember a book giving instruction on how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I thought it was a joke. By this time I had been driving for 3 years with a learner's permit and started out on an old truck with 4 on the floor as they say. Books are quite good for much but not the only thing. And yes while I consider the bible, the first book every printed on Gutenburg's invention very important life and learning goes beyond.
Jim

London, UK

#198173 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Screwing around with a married woman is not good morals, kiddo.
I thought you knew.
Ask your god how Joseph felt

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198174 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
News flash !!!!!
This isn't 2010 or 2009.
Now, back to your regular (sane) program already in progress.
I don't think the birth stats for 2014 are available just yet.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198175 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Oh, did it?
I was gonna say something but then I thought, "Well, stranger men have come out".
Who am I to judge?
No worries, I'm firmly entrenched in my heterosexual closet.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198176 Jan 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Emo Philips on Germans - "My sister married a German. He complained he couldn’t get a good bagel back home. I said,“Well, whose fault is that?”
In my youth I was an accomplished bagel and bialy maker. I worked at the best bagel place for miles around. We had all the best fish, baked products etc. I was a tireless 6'8'' worker . 16 hour days were common . Handled 200lb bags of flour effortlessly. After letting me work Christmas I was invited to the boss' house for a new years party. Got one of those envelopes where you can see the face of the ten dollar bill. It was my last day, I quit. Wasn't that many years later, I owned the whole shopping center. Great tenants, theyre still there. One of the owners son, murdered him because he wasn't being spoiled enough. The case gained world notoriety. http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogalle...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198177 Jan 1, 2014
Jim wrote:
Ask your god how Joseph felt
K

"God, how did Joseph feel?"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198178 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
First lesson:
Beware of borrowed heuristics. Shortcuts based on bad or outdated information are not only less useful, they can be dangerous. When you're creating your mental maps of reality, periodically do the work to make sure that your shortcuts are actually accurate enough to be practically useful.
Borrowed heuristics?

Me no saavy.

Can you give an example of outdated info being used for a heuristic?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198179 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Who gets dinged from God on that one?
I was the teenager.
Both of you. You both committed adultery and you both succumbed to the temptation of sex.

But this is for the God you don't believe in, so that is irrelevant to you.

Even from a secular standpoint, screwing with a married woman isn't moral.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198180 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
This is another heuristic.
Some married couples have open relationships. Morality isn't necessarily a concern.
The married couple in question obviously didn't have that kind of open relationship.

The wife cheated on her husband.

River had "sex" with a married woman.

Both are immoral.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198181 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I understand what you are saying
And I am not naive as to how we got here and why
These kind of things escalate on both sides and keep going
Neither side is blameless
I just would like to see both sides make an effort to start getting away from it. It can be done. But it is going to be a slow process. But I don't think it will happen at all when people attack those in their own party for attempting bi-partisanship. That is the whole point of compromise is that some things are going to be unpopular in order to get some things that people want.
But people also don't want to work with each other when obviously it is a poor working relationship. It all ties in together. And if Congress can't be professional enough to do it, it is going to be the people that suffer. Or suffer more I should say
(T) Peace
And again I see much of it as a reaction from action. Case in point. Did you know that (Republican) McConnell called certain people on the right "...bullies" and needed to be punched in the nose. Lets cut to it. A handful of people have bs put on them from both sides and for McConnell who I view as much of a game player and liar as Obama to say this and nothing about how this President does nothing but bully his bs agendas will guarantee no compromise. And yes the nation will suffer more as most have no backbone and would rather play games.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#198182 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> In my youth I was an accomplished bagel and bialy maker. I worked at the best bagel place for miles around. We had all the best fish, baked products etc. I was a tireless 6'8'' worker . 16 hour days were common . Handled 200lb bags of flour effortlessly. After letting me work Christmas I was invited to the boss' house for a new years party. Got one of those envelopes where you can see the face of the ten dollar bill. It was my last day, I quit. Wasn't that many years later, I owned the whole shopping center. Great tenants, theyre still there. One of the owners son, murdered him because he wasn't being spoiled enough. The case gained world notoriety. http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/photogalle...
Monday we went base jumping off of a 70 story building. There were five of us and I was last. When I got to the edge and looked down, there were police lights all over the road. I ran to the other side and jumped. An updraft blew me north and I landed right next to the zoo in the middle of some gang shootout. I thought I was a going to die for sure and then realised that there was a fence between me and the firefight. I ran. One of them came over the fence after me and was immediately attacked by a Puma.

That's not true, either.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198183 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>no one anywhere on Topix ever has said
"I just stopped in to see how Bongo was doing"
You are the Internet Jester
Keep dancing clown
Do you feel better now? Go smoke another butt, oaf. You really are living in a world devoid of color. um RT, colour
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198184 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Monday we went base jumping off of a 70 story building. There were five of us and I was last. When I got to the edge and looked down, there were police lights all over the road. I ran to the other side and jumped. An updraft blew me north and I landed right next to the zoo in the middle of some gang shootout. I thought I was a going to die for sure and then realised that there was a fence between me and the firefight. I ran. One of them came over the fence after me and was immediately attacked by a Puma.
That's not true, either.
I just made my property tax payments, its in the mid six figures. Now , scurry along petite one.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198185 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Do you feel better now? Go smoke another butt, oaf. You really are living in a world devoid of color. um RT, colour
BOB

Bugger off Bongo.

lol

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198186 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true, either.
I fell off the slide one time in school. Hurt my knee real bad. Had to get a BandAid and everything.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198187 Jan 1, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
And again I see much of it as a reaction from action. Case in point. Did you know that (Republican) McConnell called certain people on the right "...bullies" and needed to be punched in the nose. Lets cut to it. A handful of people have bs put on them from both sides and for McConnell who I view as much of a game player and liar as Obama to say this and nothing about how this President does nothing but bully his bs agendas will guarantee no compromise. And yes the nation will suffer more as most have no backbone and would rather play games.
They are playing games on our dime

This is one more reason I would love to see us rid of the two-party system. The fear of reprisal or accountability at election time is almost non-existent as people will almost by necessity straight-ticket vote.

It also makes it a meaningless exercise to bother staying informed as all we do is symbolically pull the lever when we go to vote so what good did all that we learned do us?

I try to distance myself from politics at times but find it much like trying to not look at a car accident when I drive by. And while I remember to pray that people aren't hurt, it is the grotesque nature of it that captures my attention.

Sadly, I don't see how its going to get better any time soon.

And I have resigned to pretty much accepting that

That depresses me too
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198188 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen my kitty?
I'm not sure if that's a euphemism or not...
lets compare it with Nanos.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#198189 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Borrowed heuristics?
Me no saavy.
Can you give an example of outdated info being used for a heuristic?
Uhhh... racism.

A simpler example would be something like a rule of thumb or wives tales. These are usually borrowed heuristics.

Do you think that eating chocolate causes acne? It doesn't. Do you run a higher risk of getting cramps if you swim within an hour of eating? Nope.

Have you noticed how words like "stereotype" and "prejudice" tend to have a negative connotation? These things can be very useful and beneficial. Why do you think these have become "bad words"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 13 min Patrick 13,305
News Speaking for God 20 min Richardfs 593
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr renee 31,308
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr karl44 9,736
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,351
There are no such things as gods or fairies 8 hr Eagle 12 34
Majority of Scots now have no religion 20 hr emperorjohn 8
More from around the web