Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255568 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#198154 Jan 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go, Dave - from Billy Mays (RIP):
http://greatinventions.tv/products/117.php
Who remembers Billy and his untimely death in June 2009, after several other celebrities died that same week, including Ed McMahon (6/23), Farah Fawcett 25), and Michael Jackson (6/25)? There is a superstition that celebrity deaths come in threes, so when Michael died, everybody thought it was over.[See "Jackson, Fawcett, McMahon: The Celebrity Death Rule of Three" (6/25/09) at http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/06/25/jac... ]
Then Billy died on the 28th. Wasn't it just like Billy to throw in one absolutely free?
I dunno. I didn't know who or what Billy Mays was until your post and me looking him up.

I'm not one for watching TV or otherwise being instructed by your Master's Voice.

Your celebrities are not mine.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#198155 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
A stereotype is a kind of heuristic.
Ok, I'm interested.

Wiki says:

"Heuristic...refers to experience-based techniques for problem solving, learning, and discovery that give a solution which is not guaranteed to be optimal. Where the exhaustive search is impractical, heuristic methods are used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution via mental shortcuts to ease the cognitive load of making a decision.

Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, stereotyping, or common sense."

Teach me more, master.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198156 Jan 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Heuristics are mental shortcuts.
Oh, I thought it was what call girls do to maintain flexibility

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#198157 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Couples shouldn't get married until they are at least 21." That's a quote from Eagle 12.
My wife was a little older than me when we got married. She was 22 and I was 19. I've always had a thing for older sexy women.
Thanks for the info.

I'm sure I don't fit the requirements.

How old is you wife now, btw?

Just asking.

It's like I told Chris. I've had to say this to two men.

"I'm sorry your wife thought she was a lesbian. Do you have like...juice or something before I go?"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198158 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Have you seen my kitty?
I'm not sure if that's a euphemism or not...
You need to declaw that damn kitty.

It hurts, dammit. It hurts!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198159 Jan 1, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
No power?
Hey I turn things over to God. Just after I handle them my way.
Wait, am I supposed to do that first?
Now someone finally tells me. I blame everyone else!
:)
Yes, no power. Power is an illusion of the ego. When you can learn to let that go and understand that you're in control of nothing, everything seems easier.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198160 Jan 1, 2014
I say Merry Christmas to Christians on Christmas, and in a few other instances. I say Happy Holidays in most other circumstances. That's not going to change. And I reject these cynical guesses at what my motives or state of mind are when I do it. I have no agenda apart from being inclusive. There is no spite or malice in my choice of language. How can anybody justify assuming anything else?
If I wanted to be spiteful, I would use "Merry Xmas."
This line of debate has gotten boring.

Do a dance or something.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#198161 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I'm sure I don't fit the requirements.
How old is you wife now, btw?
Just asking.
It's like I told Chris. I've had to say this to two men.
"I'm sorry your wife thought she was a lesbian. Do you have like...juice or something before I go?"
Screwing around with a married woman is not good morals, kiddo.

I thought you knew.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#198162 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Just some fun facts about births.
In 2010 more newborns arrived in September than in any other month.
Those coooooooold winters makes for good romance.
Age of first-time moms
Over the last three decades, women have been waiting longer to start having children. In 1970 the average age of a first-time mother was about 21. In 2008 the average age was 25.1
Here's how the numbers played out among U.S. women in 2009.
Ages 15 to 19: The number of births fell 6 percent.
Ages 20 to 24: The number of births fell 3 percent.
Ages 25 to 29: The number of births fell 2 percent.
Ages 30 to 34: The number of births declined slightly.
Ages 35 to 39: The number of births fell 3 percent.
Ages 40 to 44: The number of births declined slightly.
Age 45 and over: The number of births increased slightly.
Just over 4 million babies are born in the United States each year, and the details of how, when, and where they arrive are always shifting.
The biggest news this year is that the U.S. birth rate is still slumping – down 3 percent in 2010 from 2009. "Birth rate" is an estimate of the average number of births a group of women will have over their lifetime. The U.S. birth rate grew every year from 2003 to 2007 and has been declining since.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_surprising-facts-...
News flash !!!!!

This isn't 2010 or 2009.

Now, back to your regular (sane) program already in progress.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#198163 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Happy New Year, Bongo.
You too. I applaud the civility or perhaps the wisdom of secular humanism, I know you still think skomby is a sack o shit but you patronize him to keep the peace and to keep everyone from fleeing the room. I think Buck is catching on to the method too.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#198164 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
What term describes Christians who are not homophobic, but voice the opinion that homosexual sex is wrong or immoral?
That is homophobic. I've already pointed out that the vector need not have the same state of mind as the author of the meme - what I called cold bigotry in a recent post
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Buck Crick wrote:
How would such a person relate their view without being labeled "homophobic"?That seems problematic.
They'd have to be willing to treat gay people with dignity and respect, which includes never expressing any ideas about homosexuality being abnormal, sin, immoral, a perversion, an abomination, cause to be damned to hell, etc.. It also precludes treating gay people differently than straight people,

If s/he believes any of those things and keeps them private, and doesn't discriminate unkindly, then s/he's still a homophobe, but acceptable to me.
Buck Crick wrote:
Is it not true that the phony term "homophobic" actually means nothing except a way to marginalize anyone who resists accepting homosexuality as acceptable on moral and religious grounds?
No, that is not correct.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#198165 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that came out all wrong.....
Oh, did it?

I was gonna say something but then I thought, "Well, stranger men have come out".

Who am I to judge?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#198166 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ok, I'm interested.
Wiki says:
"Heuristic...refers to experience-based techniques for problem solving, learning, and discovery that give a solution which is not guaranteed to be optimal. Where the exhaustive search is impractical, heuristic methods are used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution via mental shortcuts to ease the cognitive load of making a decision.
Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, stereotyping, or common sense."
Teach me more, master.
First lesson:

Beware of borrowed heuristics. Shortcuts based on bad or outdated information are not only less useful, they can be dangerous. When you're creating your mental maps of reality, periodically do the work to make sure that your shortcuts are actually accurate enough to be practically useful.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#198167 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you knew.
Who gets dinged from God on that one?

I was the teenager.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#198168 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I thought you knew.
This is another heuristic.

Some married couples have open relationships. Morality isn't necessarily a concern.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198169 Jan 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You too. I applaud the civility or perhaps the wisdom of secular humanism, I know you still think skomby is a sack o shit but you patronize him to keep the peace and to keep everyone from fleeing the room. I think Buck is catching on to the method too.
no one anywhere on Topix ever has said

"I just stopped in to see how Bongo was doing"

You are the Internet Jester

Keep dancing clown

“Faith means not wanting to ”

Since: Nov 10

know what is true.

#198170 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how atheists lie about who they are.
Get a conscience.
Lol
Still no life... Enjoy your misery!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#198171 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, no power. Power is an illusion of the ego. When you can learn to let that go and understand that you're in control of nothing, everything seems easier.
I tried that when driving and it worked out terribly:)

Although in seriousness, I don't believe we have no control. It is just some things we do and some things we don't. The serenity prayer says it best:

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference...."

The rest is pretty cool too but obviously this is the part directly on point. I know you know this prayer but I always like seeing it again

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#198172 Jan 1, 2014
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Only those that think book learning exclusively is actual learning.
Books introduce you to things that you need to build upon to understand. Brains are supposed to be something more than buckets.
For all your talk, IANS, you are still just a pew warmer reciting verses you heard. You have dendrites that are supposed to modify the nerves feeding your brain, doing the nuance and total consciousness thingy that seem to have rotted at an earlier age. Your mental growth got stunted.
I said you read books but you are so focused on the input of your eyes and getting smart you aren't pulling together other knowledge and experiences to make a complete picture of what you are reading about. Myopia of consciousness.
This is a bit off point but reminds me of something. Years ago when taking drivers ed I remember a book giving instruction on how to drive a car with a manual transmission. I thought it was a joke. By this time I had been driving for 3 years with a learner's permit and started out on an old truck with 4 on the floor as they say. Books are quite good for much but not the only thing. And yes while I consider the bible, the first book every printed on Gutenburg's invention very important life and learning goes beyond.
Jim

London, UK

#198173 Jan 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you knew.
Ask your god how Joseph felt

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 4 min hpcaban 28
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min DanFromSmithville 35,698
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 58 min Uncle Sam 15,030
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr An NFL Fan 20,207
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Patrick 4,510
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 15 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 45
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 16 hr ChristineM 23,879
More from around the web