Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#197935 Jan 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right. Nobody else seem to feel slighted by "Happy Holidays."
Let's don't forget Atheist now have their own holiday.

April 1st.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#197936 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
April 1st.
Atheists.

You're welcome.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197937 Jan 1, 2014
Senecus wrote:
"Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel?"(Ezekiel 33:11)

There is found no comfort in another ones misery.
These people would disagree:

[1] "In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned ... So that they may be urged the more to praise God ... The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens ... to the damned" - Thomas Aquinas

Apparently, the Christian god and the angels will be rejoicing at the suffering of souls in hell:

[2] "The door of mercy will be shut and all bowels of compassion denied, by God, who will laugh at their destruction; by angels and saints, who will rejoice when they see the vengeance' by their fellow-suffer the devil and the damned rejoicing over their misery." - Bishop Newcomb

Delighting in the suffering of others is part of the happiness of heaven:

[3] "This display of the divine character will be most entertaining to all who love God, will give them the highest and most ineffable pleasure. Should the fire of this eternal punishment cease, it would in a great measure obscure the light of heaven, and put an end to a great part of the happiness and glory of the blessed." - Samuel Hopkins

Does this seem confusing? Maybe this will help:

[4] "Non-Christians often ask the Christian,“But how can the God of love allow any of his creatures to suffer unending misery?” The question is, how can he not? The fact that God is love makes hell necessary."

So don't worry if all of this seems a little horrible to you now. This famous preacher is letting you know how happy torture will make you as well once you have gone to heaven:

[5]“The view of the misery of the damned will double the ardor of the love and gratitude of the saints of heaven ... The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever ... Can the believing father in Heaven be happy with his unbelieving children in Hell ... I tell you, yea! Such will be his sense of justice that it will increase rather than diminish his bliss." - Jonathan Edwards

This early church father is certainly planning on having a good time watching others suffer and even laughing at them:

[6] "At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates liquefying in fiercer flames than they ever kindled against the Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause." - Tertullian

Does this include infants?

[7]“Reprobate infants are vipers of vengeance, which Jehovah will hold over hell, in the tongs of his wrath, till they turn and spit venom in his face!”-Jonathan Edwards

But what about your own children? This one from the Catholic Truth Society is as beautiful as a mother's love for her child:

[8] "What will it be like for a mother in heaven who sees her son burning in hell? She will glorify the justice of God."

You might ask just how all of you people in heaven laughing at our suffering and the suffering of your former loved ones that didn't make it would make you any different different from Satan and the demons below, who I presume will be laughing along with you. Good question.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197938 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Really? There's only one holiday left in the season. Yule is over, Saturnalia is over. Christmas is over. Hanukkah is over. Festivus is over. HumanLight is over. Kwanzaa is over.
You really expect anyone to believe that has anything to do with avoidance of the Christmas greeting?

New Year's Day: 1 January
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God: 1 January
Saint Basil's Day: 1 January
Twelfth Night: Epiphany Eve: 5 January
Epiphany: 6 January
Armenian Apostolic Christmas: 6 January
Imbolc: 1 February
Candlemas: 2 February
Hedgehog Day: 2 February
Lupercalial - 15 February
Valentine's Day: 14 February

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197939 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you on this one thing. If you are in the public eye, you’d better watch carefully what you say.
You are in the public eye.

I see your words.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s even more important for the President. Like when he said to everyone,“If you like your healthcare insurance and your doctors, you can keep them.”
How bout this one, "Mission Accomplished"
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about Don Imus? An Atheist I believe and he was raked over the coals for making a comment about the Rutgers University women's basketball team back in 2007. He received a suspension and may have even lost a lot of money for that one comment. I don’t know Don personally but I don’t think he’s a racist.
He called them nappy headed hos.

That was a terrible thing to say but at least it got Brit Hume to repeat it on Fox News.

Brit Hume said, "Nappy headed Hos." on the air.

Classic.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Back to Paula Deen, she made her comment under oath and was obligated to tell the truth and she did just that. Does that make her a KKK ranking member? Or a member of the Aryan Nation? According to her accusers she’s a hard core racist.
Is there a different kind of racist?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What we have here my good Doctor is trigger happy false accusers. And the older whites get the more eager the accusers are to frame them unjustly. Don, Phil and Paula are all white Seniors. They’re not racist people but good hearted individuals falsely accused by the left wing.
You know that Phil told a group of Christians that men should marry 15 year old girls, right?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you observed in Phil’s case was some push back. I think your going to see even more push back in the future. Folks are getting a little tired of the unjust finger pointing. Which brings into question who is the real racist? The accused or the accuser?
You bet your ass we're getting tired of it and you're going to see a lot more push back. It's time for old racist, homophobic idiots to get out of my way.

Location hidden

#197940 Jan 1, 2014
LuciFerr wrote:
Happy New Year sooky christians! Try to cry less this year :)
Happy Holidays, Loose Fur.

If I miss you tomorrow, Happy Holidays.

If I miss you all week, Happy Holidays.

If I don't talk to you before Valentines Day, Happy Holidays.

If I don't talk to you before Easter, Happy Holidays.

Happy Holidays. And Happy Days, in general.

And nights.

Have Happy. Happy. Have it. Or not.

Location hidden

#197941 Jan 1, 2014
Wade45 wrote:
mark
skid?

Location hidden

#197942 Jan 1, 2014
LuciFerr wrote:
I wouldn't want people who are clearly delusional, driving my kids around whilst talking to themselves.
How reckless and frightening for the children.
You are so right, Loose Fur.

It should be federal law that school bus drivers must be atheists.

Also, we need a federal law that prohibits school bus drivers from silently praying, thinking about praying, being contemplative, or experiencing thoughts unrelated to his task.

If the bus driver thinks about lunch, he should be fired.

We need more atheists like you in positions of authority, then we could get these things done.

Meanwhile, knowing you as I do, if you and your kids were standing on the side of the road in a blizzard, I would recommend to anyone they not give you a ride.

Location hidden

#197943 Jan 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
April 1st.
That's when the Christ was born. Sheep generally give birth in the spring.

Location hidden

#197944 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Rejecting god claims makes us atheists.
<quoted text>
Those that acknowledge that are agnostic atheists. We can only rule out a few gods - the "married bachelor" type gods. They are as impossible as married bachelor leprechauns.
But who can rule out bachelor gods or leprechauns, married gods or leprechauns, or even bachelor gods gay marrying bachelor leprechauns,
Sure, it sounds a little far fetched to me, too, but how do you rule it out?
Rejecting god claims does not make you an atheist.

Accepting a particular god-claim, that no god exists, makes one an atheist.

I reject god-claims, but I am not an atheist.

I accept other god-claims, which makes me a theist.

The atheist and the theist both embrace god-claims - just different ones.

I know it sounds more rational and erudite to claim one does not accept god-claims.

Truth is, everyone does. Atheists who claim otherwise are just being self-righteous.

It's the same self-righteousness many Christians exhibit. No difference.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#197945 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Rejecting god claims does not make you an atheist.
Accepting a particular god-claim, that no god exists, makes one an atheist.
I reject god-claims, but I am not an atheist.
I accept other god-claims, which makes me a theist.
The atheist and the theist both embrace god-claims - just different ones.
I know it sounds more rational and erudite to claim one does not accept god-claims.
Truth is, everyone does. Atheists who claim otherwise are just being self-righteous.
It's the same self-righteousness many Christians exhibit. No difference.
Happy New year, Buck.

Now stop it.

Off to the gym.

Location hidden

#197946 Jan 1, 2014
LuciFerr wrote:
Adding to the death toll, chrislim style.
<quoted text>
Urgent national and international action is crucial to prevent the Central African Republic (CAR) from plunging into full-scale sectarian conflict and protect civilians, particularly women and children, from atrocities that have already killed thousands and driven 750,000 others from their homes amid reports of rape and mutilation, United Nations human rights officials have warned.
"Given the serious nature of continuing violations in an environment of complete impunity, CAR is on the brink of descending into atrocity crimes," UN Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide Adama Dieng said over the weekend at the end of a visit to the country, where a year-long conflict has increasingly turned into violence between Christians and Muslims.
"The worst case scenario can only be stopped if urgent measures are taken to stop the violence and those responsible are held accountable," added Mr. Dieng, who was accompanied on the visit by UN Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict Leila Zerrougui, and Nancee Oku Bright from the office of the Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict.
CAR has been thrown into turmoil since mainly Muslim Séléka rebels launched attacks a year ago and forced President François Bozizé to flee in March. A transitional government has since been entrusted with restoring peace and paving the way for democratic elections, but armed clashes have erupted again and the mainly Christian anti-Balaka movement has taken up arms.
All three officials warned of the especially disastrous effects of the conflict on children who have been killed, mutilated, subjected to sexual violence and recruited by armed groups since the beginning, and they stressed the crucial need to strengthen the capacity and resources of the UN Integrated Peacebuilding Office in CAR (BINUCA) and the UN system as a whole to ensure an adequate and efficient crisis response.
<quoted text>
http://allafrica.com/stories/201312231878.htm...
Wonder how many people will die at the hands of 'godly' folks this year.
The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists.

This is three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.

“Merry Yuletide”

Since: Jun 13

Down Under

#197947 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
Good. Now try to find a few chances to use the word and cement it in before it slips away. Wouldn't you agree that that word was perfect for the occasion?:
"If you want to see the future of that battle, look at the analogous kerfuffle that arose in the area of racism, which has been evolving for a few decades longer."
That word always makes me think of a bunch of chooks flapping around, making a fuss. Then their feathers fly everywhere.

Location hidden

#197948 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
I think you're right. Nobody else seem to feel slighted by "Happy Holidays."
Who else could be slighted by avoidance of the name of a holiday because it has the name "Christ" in it?

People from Corpus Christie?

Location hidden

#197950 Jan 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's when the Christ was born. Sheep generally give birth in the spring.
Sheep generally give birth about 9 months after conception.

It doesn't really matter what season that falls on - they will still give birth.

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#197951 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
I just read the following, edited from http://www.alternet.org/speakeasy/alvinmcewen . It reminded me of you. This is how a large percentage of people view people with opinions like yours. You don't have to like it, but you should know about it:
"The Ugly Collusion Between 'Religious Faith' and Bigotry" Alvin McEwan
"There is no need to rehash this Duck Dynasty mess. We have all said our bits and pieces about Phil Robertson’s racism and homophobia. And it will continue to reverberate. But a larger picture of the entire controversy needs to be stated.
"Remember last year when a pastor of an NC church got into trouble because he said gays should be put behind an electrified fence < http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/22/natio... >. Even with all of the backlash, there were a few who stood behind him because according to them,“the Bible says homosexuality is wrong.”
"But the anger was due to the fact that this man said LGBTs should be placed behind an electrified fence like they were cattle to be abused and killed off. Still, the pastor had a loyal bunch who continued to justify his words by claiming that he were merely preaching in accordance to his “faith.Never mind that his faith encompassed genocide.
"Decades before that in the 1970s was Anita Bryant and her opposition to the pro-gay ordinance in a Florida county. She said as a Christian, she couldn’t support such an ordinance. But she wasn’t content on leaving her opposition rooted in her faith. She snuck in a little nugget. According to her, since gays can’t reproduce, we supposedly recruit children. She was able to pull off that lie by reminding folks of her “Christian values.”Family Research Council, the American Family Association, and the Traditional Values Coalition
"Years after Bryant came a plethora of anti-gay and supposed morality groups standing against LGBT equality. Using junk science, discredited sources, venomous accusations and name-calling, and out-and-out lies, they claimed to oppose LGBT equality because it is a “public health menace.”
These groups, amongst them the Family Research Council, the American Family Association, and the Traditional Values Coalition, still exists today. These groups would cling to their crosses of martyrdom so hard that their fingers would get splinters. They would claim that they were simply standing up for their faith and those who called their “facts” into question were trying to silence them.
What made me so wild about what Charles Worley said, is that I know the history. Gay men were indeed put behind barbed wire by the Nazis and sent to concentration camps. They were not systematically exterminated like the Jews, but were very badly treated and many were worked to death.
http://www.thepinktriangle.com/history/symbol...
http://www.hardenet.com/homocaust/pinktriangl...
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/H...

Some religious fanatics would love to bring back those days. Or even earlier, when good Xians burned them @ the stake. That's the origin of the expression f****t.
People like him seem to want to bring back those days...

Location hidden

#197952 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the hands of fifty-two atheists.
This is three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.
Teh God has declared war on zygotes.

Teh God is a spawn killer.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

Location hidden

#197953 Jan 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy New year, Buck.
Now stop it.
Off to the gym.
Don't offend people. Say "Happy Holidays".

Some people don't believe in calendars.

You homoanticalendarphobe.

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#197954 Jan 1, 2014
<quoted text>
If only there were a way to wish people happiness on their holiday whichever one(s) they care about without having to inquire.
Happy new year, IANS.

And nobody could mind what ISN'T a religious greeting. Unless you're Jewish, I believe their new year is a real holy day to them.

“Merry Yuletide”

Down Under

#197955 Jan 1, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Redman's Law...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 19 min J RULES 23,233
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 37 min lightbeamrider 2,600
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 42 min Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 44 min Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 1 hr Morse 369
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr Carchar king 163
God' existence 2 hr Carchar king 78
More from around the web