Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255868 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197752 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You are such a religious liar.

Meaning you lie religiously.
Drool of a fool, less useful than a tool.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197753 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Ya, right.

Like how you said Australia is a majority atheist?
Oh that? I was joking! Duh.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197754 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dennis Prager offered a devastating retort to that nonsense you are spouting.
It proves you are wrong, but you won't answer it honestly.
Imagine you are walking down a dark street at night in an unfamiliar American city. It is poorly lit, and off the main thoroughfare. You hear footsteps approaching from behind you, and turn to see 4 male youths walking toward you. You start to become tense.
Would the knowledge that they had just come from a Christian bible study make you:
A. Feel better
B. Feel worse
C. Feel the same
No honest person answers anything other than "A".
And it proves your whole weeks' work to be a lie.
That's silly. Why would anybody feel tense when people walk toward them? Only sheep would answer anything other than "C".

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197755 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Bullshit.

Happy Hanukkah is still Happy Hanukkah.

Happy Kwanza is still Happy Kwanza.

Happy Festivus even remains.

But Merry Christmas?! Nope, that's Happy Holidays.

Even though the people that endorse "Happy Holidays" only use it for one day, Christmas.

Go figure.
Happy New Year redneck!

You're not happy are you? Sad face.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197756 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Dennis Prager offered a devastating retort to that nonsense you are spouting.

Imagine you are walking down a dark street at night in an unfamiliar American city. It is poorly lit, and off the main thoroughfare. You hear footsteps approaching from behind you, and turn to see 4 male youths walking toward you. You start to become tense.

Would the knowledge that they had just come from a Christian bible study make you:

A. Feel better

B. Feel worse

C. Feel the same

Poop on bottom of Shrinkie dinkie doo doo's slipper.

I see you're not having a Happy New Year. Happy face.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197757 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>When yer ankles are wrapped around yer ears and you yell oh God, can the guy sue?
No Drongo, I will not tell you about such things, ask your hot wife.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197758 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> When yer ankles are wrapped around yer ears and you yell oh God, can the guy sue?
Does that happen to you often?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197759 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>It's a little early for the War on Christmas nonsense, isn't it? In my opinion, it would be a bit more effective if you wait until at least November.
Lol.

Happy New Year River Tam!

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#197760 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
Even though the people that endorse "Happy Holidays" only use it for one day, Christmas.
Go figure.
tell me are that you are that insecure that you resent others when they realize the United States is a MELTING POT, full of a diverse group of cultures and religions?

There are many religions in America, so why not be all inclusive and allow others to say Happy Holidays.

Saying Happy Holidays is all inclusive, respectful of Christians, Jews, and all others.
Merry Christmas isn't, plain and simple.

The people that say Happy Holidays are inclusive, it includes Hanukkah, Kwanza, Saturnalia and all other holidays that occur this time of year

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#197761 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
A. Feel better
B. Feel worse
C. Feel the same
I don't know, if they were coming from an Aryan Nation Christian Bible study and I were a black man, Jewish, Puerto Rican, Italian, Spanish, Indian, or any non pure white American not only would I become tense, but I'd have to resort to stand my ground laws

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#197762 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bullshit.
Go figure.
"Happy Holidays" is used most often by groups towards the public. It covers those other holidays.

It's a convenient greeting for individuals to use because it works without alienating anyone, except some unreasonable irrational Christians.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197764 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that happen to you often?
What?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197765 Dec 31, 2013
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>tell me are that you are that insecure that you resent others when they realize the United States is a MELTING POT, full of a diverse group of cultures and religions?

There are many religions in America, so why not be all inclusive and allow others to say Happy Holidays.

Saying Happy Holidays is all inclusive, respectful of Christians, Jews, and all others.
Merry Christmas isn't, plain and simple.

The people that say Happy Holidays are inclusive, it includes Hanukkah, Kwanza, Saturnalia and all other holidays that occur this time of year
That's right.

Happy New Year!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#197766 Dec 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.lovingspirituality.com/how-evangel...
.. I have a Major encounter tonight and must iron eight silk scarves ..
TIDE
.. one world government is imperative or humans will destroy the modern world. Many members of the three Abrahamic religions, along with their leaders, are ready to die for their beliefs and have little regard for humans outside their tribes ..
.. for what it's worth, that's my take ..
HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE & ALL
These are exerts of your web site referenced.

http://www.lovingspirituality.com/how-evangel ...

1). Militarism.“Virtually all Evangelical Churches are highly militaristic, celebrating “the troops” and the military as the highest service one can render to one’s fellow humans.”

I wonder what the VFW would say to that post?

2)Materialism.“Evangelicals are highly materialistic as a group, even preaching that Jesus wants everyone to be rich.”

I’ve heard of believing God to bless his people but not that he wants everyone rich. I think most would like to be rich but that kind of wealth is not for everyone. The author here is making a false claim.

3). Hatred for the poor.“Evangelicals tend, as a group, to despise the poor.”

I think most Christians are against abuses in entitlements which we all know exist. But here the author failed to point out all the ministries directed to the poor by Christians. One here in St. Louis is a Christian homeless shelter. And what about all the food pantries for the poor that Christians operate?

In my opinion I don’t think Atheist hate the poor they just don’t give a rats *ss about them. That’s why there’s so few Atheist homeless shelters and food pantries.

4). Self-sufficiency.“Evangelicals are the most likely of Christians to preach a “gospel” of self-sufficiency.”

Evangelicals (and many so-called “spiritual people”) teach that we are to pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps, and disdain anyone who needs help.

Yeah, well Christians do believe in working and finding work. I didn’t know that was such a bad thing.

5). Pride.“I’m proud to be an American” is a very un-Christian statement.”

??? By whose standards? Another statement I would love here the reaction by the women and men who fought for this country. Notice the author doesn’t bother to leave his name.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#197767 Dec 31, 2013
6). Mastery.“Evangelicals want to be “on top.” They tend to want control by their country, their companies, and their church.”

I guess the author thinks being on the bottom and being a loser is far more advantageous.

7). Nationalism.“Jesus made it quite clear that he came to save all people, not one people. If Jesus does favor one people, that people would have been the ancient Jews, not Europeans. Yet Jesus made it clear that he did not come just to save his own people, but the world.”

I’ll be dam* if he didn’t accidentally get something right.

8). Torture.“I shouldn’t even need to say that torture is always immoral, regardless of who is conducting it, including our CIA or Army. Those who support torture for any reason are simply not Christians, regardless of what they call themselves”

I have to agree myself that torture should never be allowed. At the same time the enemy doesn’t have to be treated as if they’re Royalty.

If our prisoners in Texas can endure the hot summers in 120 degree heat with no air conditioning. What makes a terrorist any better? Why can’t they be interrogated for hours and suffer some sleep deprivation? Millions of Americans suffer from sleep deprivation and what makes terrorist any different?

Being uncomfortable is not torture and terrorist don’t have to be comfortable.

9). Hatred of gays and lesbians.“The only people that Jesus condemned in the Gospels were the pillars of the community and the clergy.”

I’ll be dam*, another one the author got right by mistake. Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. He didn’t advocate hate. But he did advocate a clean and moral life. The Bible addresses the acts of homosexuality as a sin. There’s a difference in recognizing a sin and hating individual people. Because Christians believe the act of homosexuality is a sin doesn’t mean they hate people.

10). Zero tolerance.“Evangelicals are the most likely people to support “zero tolerance” policies, the death penalty, and draconian and harsh punishments for anyone who “steps out of line.”

Christians are on both sides of this issue. I believe for example terrorist should not never be executed. No matter what horrific thing they have done. Reason? Execution is far too human.

11). Hypocrisy.“Jesus hated hypocrites.”

I don’t know if he actually hated them but he did call the cards as he saw them.

2). Rules.“One hallmark of Evangelical (and Roman) religion is a bunch of rules that one needs to follow to get into heaven.”

Laws are necessary for society. Yes there are a bunch of rules for example when the church building is full of people. You’re not allowed to lock the doors and start a fire. Such things have happened around the world in bars and taverns.

13). Biblical basis.“There are so many things wrong with a “Biblically based” Christian religion”

Not surprised, it’s infidels writing the critiques on the bible.

14). Pushing their religion on others.” Finally, their narrow, triumphalist attitude toward Christianity is not supported by either the behavior or teachings of Jesus and the Apostles.”

Never take a bible lesson from a infidel. Jesus said go ye into all the world preaching the gospel. And we don’t push anything on anybody. Does Pepsi or Coca-Cola push their softdrinks on anyone? No they advertise for those interested.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#197768 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
A. Feel better
B. Feel worse
C. Feel the same
Receiving the knowledge these young people are being indoctrinated into Christianity would make me feel worse.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#197769 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidents are vetted so hard fakes don't make it through the process??
Are you nuts? They had Clinton on tape suborning perjury while he was running the first time!
He received an induction notice, and never reported.
That's not even considering the common knowledge of his whoring.
And he was so vetted, a fake could not get through?
You claimed all presidents are patriots. Now you back pedal.
Do yourself a favor, and don't comment on politics. Find something you know a little about.
His whoring means he doesn't love his country?

You have gone full-retard now

And his uncle used his influence to keep him out of the war. Do you have any evidence Clinton asked him to do that? And most family members would do the same. And if you are so stupid that believe its patriotic to go die in a foreign land in the name of 'country' when it has nothing to do with loving your country, then you are stupider than the masses, which is really saying something. What the government does it use people like pawns and plays on their patriotism to help them do that. Real patriots would never abandon a war fought on home soil. But sell that garbage about Viet Nam to someone else. But only after you provide proof Clinton had anything to do with it. I saw you personally accused him of murdering people at Waco so I understand you are not too sharp when it comes to who did the actions and culpability.

And I claimed all presidents are patriots. And i still claim that. Where is the back pedal? I included the nearly two decades after he left office that he has still been spending on public service as this particular one has demonstrated it the point that someone would have to be so desperately hateful and partisan that they they...oh, right. Never mind.

Why is it you can't get through one post and understand what the hell it is you read? Please provide proof of my back-pedal or admit this is the fourth time now you have claimed something I haven't said or done. Which happens to be the total number of responses by you so far.

Location hidden

#197770 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly I think the first three LOTR movies were so far better than the first two Hobbit movies, but it was still a really good movie.
I like dragons, the best (so far) dragons in movies for me was the one in Beowulf and the other on in Dragon Heart, voiced by Sean Connery.
But I tell you what, Smaug is my new favorite movie dragon.
The only thing I didn't like about Hobbit 2 was the length, nearly three hours long. It definitely had some unneeded scenes in it.
Other than that, great movie.
I will check it out

I liked Dragon Heart which wasn't widely popular and like dragons in movies so I will probably like it

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197771 Dec 31, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Receiving the knowledge these young people are being indoctrinated into Christianity would make me feel worse.
You could invite them for a drink and try to talk them out of it?

Location hidden

#197772 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A drunk mind speaks a true heart.
That works almost every time.
But inhibitions are an unconscious restraint of a behavioral desire or impulse. Finding out if it's an impulse or desire is sometimes the hard part.
Look at how crowds act in riots. Whether it's an opposition to government or some sports team won some game, the people in those crowds lose their inhibition in what I think is a desire, not an impulse. It's like they desire to harm others, break shit, loot, steal, etc. and when they get the opportunity, they let loose.
A person is smart, people are dumb.
Looting is one of the longing running cons in this country

"I am um..mad about this thing that happened. And to express my outrage I am going to steal this big flat-screen TV for my living room"

Like you said, some people just wait for an excuse

In the Watts riots, the infamous 'race riots' there were blacks and whites looting together.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 29 min _Susan_ 20,568
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 40 min Brian_G 40,154
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr _Susan_ 15,727
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,624
A Universe from Nothing? 10 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity 21 hr superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... Fri Into The Night 175
More from around the web