Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238947 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197698 Dec 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html Google the terms of what they measure and find what they are measuring, like the speed, flux density, and magnetic pressure. Add GOES to your searches. Also consider the term wind. Add 2 and 2. Your solar wind, which is comprised of mass in motion and magnetic pressure emanating from the sun, which means it exerts a pressure between it and the earth while the earth orbits is a resistance to gravity,
Lean against a stiff wind on your tippy toes so you keep your balance. Let the wind stop.
Feel the heat of the sunlight on your skin. You are getting peppered by subatomic bullets from the sun. But don't take it personal, every square inch of the planet surface facing the sun is too. Did I mention the magnetic pressure from magnetic fields? Our orbit is a combo of gravity, this solar wind offering resistance to it, and momentum. A fine balance. The sun is 109 earth diameters. It looks like a point of light but it actually covers the entire sky physical force speaking. A beam of energy with varying intensity and gravitational attraction due to curvature of it. That is the nitty gritty atomic physics of it, the parts that make the dynamic. You are looking at averages that give false impressions and understanding. It is a failing of applied math thing. That is why things "just is" in the Topix atheist mind.
As usual, your link didn't support your claim about electromagnetism playing a role in planetary orbits, and your post was nothing more substantial than unsupported claims and sciency poetry.

Solar wind is simply not a player. A pigeon pushing off from the earth or a meteorite impact likely affect earth's orbit more. And solar wind, though it may contain charged particles,is not the same thing as the electromagnetic force.

Try some facts with links that support them. Find me a single reputable resource that supports your claim that solar wind or electromagnetism has an effect on earth's orbit greater than a pigeon or meteorite, which also don't need to be considered in matters where. predicting an orbit is relevant.

And, of course, as always, you simply ignored the counterargument in my post. You claimed to know more than mainstream physicists, whose formulas for orbital mechanics don't include an electromagnetic effect or one for solar wind. I posted, "The mainstream has been predicting eclipses, predicting the return of comets like Halley's, calculating ephemerides, and inserting manned and robotic spacecraft into orbits around planets, moons, and now even asteroids (Dawn orbited Vesta) using its understanding of physics." And all you did was repeat your claims.

Sorry, Cadet Nelson, but you have nothing here but moonbeams. And I'm sure that we'll be seeing plenty more of them. Why not? They seem to impress Buck,who considers you a finer, smarter and more insightful physicist than Polymath. You should thank him for saying that.Nobody else would.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197699 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I am imminently qualified to be a layman.
You might say I am an expert layman.
Did the old land lady tell ya that?

Since: Sep 10

Arcadia, CA

#197700 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're riding a leaf blower to Miami?
Swing through Alabama. I want to see that.
You need to work on your bonfides.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#197701 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll cut you up till your hide wouldn't hold corn shucks.
John

United States

#197702 Dec 31, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Well religious lunatics killing each other is nothing new.
Why do you horrid and repugnant atheists talk about killing people all the time? Is it because you also did it in the Old Testament too?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#197703 Dec 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us what bigotry you are referring too.
http://www.lovingspirituality.com/how-evangel...

.. I have a Major encounter tonight and must iron eight silk scarves ..

TIDE

.. one world government is imperative or humans will destroy the modern world. Many members of the three Abrahamic religions, along with their leaders, are ready to die for their beliefs and have little regard for humans outside their tribes ..

.. for what it's worth, that's my take ..

HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE & ALL

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#197704 Dec 31, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Battery-operated airplane.
Where the batteries made in a super clean Korean factory?

Location hidden

#197705 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I found Al's Salami.
Cool, so you're over your fear of showering with other men?

Fennario

#197706 Dec 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Your belief that you just accept what others tell you is the truth without trying to understand it is a sign of laziness, inability to understand, or a propensity to religious thinking. Or all of those.
More cluelessness from you, Cadet Nelson. You have no concept of the difference between faith based thought and evidence based thought. They are the same thing to you.

Can you think of anything that might constitute evidence that the "mainstream" scientists are correct, and that if you disagree with them, that you are wrong? Anything at all?
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are an artificial intelligence until you can kick your brain into gear and start thinking on your own terms.
Your thinking is uninformed and undisciplined. All you produce with it are moonbeams that give you a sense of being a player. But you haven't put in the hours or done the hard work for that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Put the bong down, IANS, then get up and start doing instead of just reading about it.
LOL. Have you been outside yet this month apart from cigarette runs?

Sorry about laughing at you. I realize that I should pity you like others. But you can't seem to stop judging me, which I feel entitles me to give you a gentle reality check now and again.

When you learn some manners and can confine your criticisms to ideas instead of persons, I'll show you the same courtesy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197707 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You're riding a leaf blower to Miami?
Swing through Alabama. I want to see that.
You want to see Catcher's woman?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197709 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
You're going to look pretty silly with that knife sticking out of your ass.
Hate the game not the playa

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#197710 Dec 31, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Happy New Year, everyone!
Happy New Year Rosa and everyone :D

Location hidden

#197711 Dec 31, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. He also ranted about climate change or whatever its called today. Do as they say not as they do.
Absolutely. If Catcher1 had decided not to go to Miami, all flights would have been grounded.

Good thinking, guys. Keep it up.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197712 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Cool, so you're over your fear of showering with other men?
Fear? What fear?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#197713 Dec 31, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>It's quite literally insane.

Of course, allowing any delusion to factor in to any important decisions is insane to me.

Delusions aren't really that dangerous until you start interacting with the real world using an interpretation of that world that is completely disconnected from it.
Well put. I agree.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197714 Dec 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.lovingspirituality.com/how-evangel...
.. I have a Major encounter tonight and must iron eight silk scarves ..
TIDE
.. one world government is imperative or humans will destroy the modern world. Many members of the three Abrahamic religions, along with their leaders, are ready to die for their beliefs and have little regard for humans outside their tribes ..
.. for what it's worth, that's my take ..
HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE & ALL
Happy Holiday to you, too.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197715 Dec 31, 2013
Funny that the weeks leading up to Christmas, the atheists were "Happy Holidays" thus and that.

They even defended themselves, saying that Christmas and New Years are the holidays.

Now it's New Year's Eve and the "Happy Holidays" greetings are gone...

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197716 Dec 31, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Happy New Year Rosa and everyone :D
Thanks, Luci.

Happy Holiday.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#197717 Dec 31, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. If Catcher1 had decided not to go to Miami, all flights would have been grounded.
Good thinking, guys. Keep it up.
My thinking is a socal lib that rants about global warming doesn't really believe it with the amount of travel he does. Any more than his fake stand on bigotry while being one of the biggest ones I've encountered.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#197718 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The claim is atheists merely lack belief.
No, Buck, that's not the claim. The claim is that lack of belief constitutes atheism absent any positive statement of belief.

We have plenty of beliefs, but none of them are essential to atheism, nor do they derive from the mere rejection of insufficiently supported god claims.

Any unbeliever who says that gods cannot or do not exist is agnostic atheist. Any unbeliever that takes a weaker stand is an agnostic atheist. Whatever the individuals position, and whatever evidence or argument he or she presents to support it, is an add-on to atheism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 7,211
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr NoahLovesU 7,435
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 4 hr superwilly 88
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Thu thetruth 29
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web