Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258451 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

London, UK

#197582 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> poor scar scar, has a belief and does not know it. This statement of yours is untrue , you see , spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Faith came by hearing the word but then something happens, its not about what you read or hear anymore. Great thing is, everyman has an opportunity if he can humble self, even the likes of the hardened enemies of God on this thread.
Another opportunity to prove the god you're lying about, wasted.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#197583 Dec 31, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
How long do you think you could last in heaven with free will anyway?
Dave Nelson wrote:
You don't last too long anywhere if all you do is destroy with your free will.
Thanks. Great response.
if [the Christian god] could and did exist, it wouldn't matter if we worshiped it or not. It doesn't keep its promises
Dave Nelson wrote:
Keep promises? What have you done to get a promise? What's in it for the promising entity?
The great mystery is why Buck admires your thinking. You seem insane to me. What kind of response was either of these two but completely irrelevant?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#197584 Dec 31, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You missed the pun. Again. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that we cobbled together a series of shoe puns. Shall I explain mine to you? It was the last of the upper quoted comments.
Well bless my sole!

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#197585 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the 2011 Census, 61.14% of the Australian population were recorded as adhering to Christianity."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Au...
Yes, certainly some are. But I think that here in Oz, religion is not taken so seriously as what it seems to be in the US.

We would simply laugh some of these Religious Right people out of town.

Fennario

#197586 Dec 31, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The lawyers employed the shotgun effect not the plaintif. The lawyers took 33 percent plus expenses too. Your adversity is the same in every business and life situation. Especially when things happen to friends and family in their homes. Friends and family sue. Everyone should maintain plenty of insurance. The poor, well, when you aint got nuttin, you aint got nuttin to lose. The medical industry is not unlike the catholic church you loathe, the defensive actions are similar. When punitive damage is proved, thell get the message a little better. Drs like clergy also treat people as if they are inferior. Its a litigious society, just add it up to the cost of doing business.
I tried to answer your question, "why do they have a culture of covering up, protecting one anothers faults, lying to patients and their families, every word as if walking on eggshells" with two anecdotes from my own experience that changed my perspective.

As a result of those experiences, I lost my motivation to report an incompetent physician to the medical board or to confide in a patient in a way that would expose me to another frivolous lawsuit.

If you want your physicians to perform at the highest ethical standard, you need to protect them when they do, not let the system savage them.

And you are free to malign the physicians. You are free to brand us as unethical for adapting to the reality of the milieu we are given to work in. Nobody can stop you. And you're not alone. Your attitude is commonplace.

I cannot adequately explain to you how grateful I am to be gone from that world.

Fennario

#197587 Dec 31, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
No good deed will go unpunished is a secular law. You never should have contacted that family and advised them to get a lawyer. You went outside your brotherhood. You were interfering with their livelihoods. Your secular governmental agencies are outside parties to brotherhoods such as doctors and lawyers, although some lawyer always makes a profit from it. Just a hard fact of life you learn the hard way.
You used the word "secular" twice. Do you think a dose of old-fashioned religion would have made the situation better?
Dave Nelson wrote:
You were two professionals with differing opinions. You initiated direct conflict by asserting your opinion. Your concerns should have been addressed to a god
LOL. I guess so. Thanks for the sage advice as always.

Fennario

#197588 Dec 31, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Ive seen this post verbatim a while back. I always wondered why you became so angry. All the players actions were predictable. 25k, you got off easy, what if it exceeded your liability limits.
I left the profession angry, but it's been over four years, and the experience has died down to an attitude of concern and criticism.

Reading your posts and Dave's rekindled a little flashback. Thanks for that.
Bongo wrote:
Also, some people cant take dmards, theyre nasty, methotrexate can kill you. And levoquin is a pill and this person didn't get ketoacidosis over night, they were not taking their meds and eating wrong and delaying or not doing their foot care. Ive seen many cases where a judge rules in favor of what seems to be and likely is incompetence by saying, "they only need to do a sufficient job" with respect to suits against Drs and lawyers.
Are you giving me medical advice now? And are you defending the negligence and incompetence of the doctor that I reported to the state?

Yes, I know how toxic DMARDs are. I am quite experienced administering them. This young mother deserved a trial of Enbrel, Humira, or Remicade. Low dose methotrexate is safe and effective for rheumatoid arthritis as long as concomitant folate is administered, and the bone marrow,liver and lungs are being monitored.

Levaquin can be given orally or intravenously.

You're wrong about the origin of the patient's ketoacidosis. It was causes by extensive infection of the soft tissues of the lower extremity,which was not a result of her failure to eat properly, care for her foot, or take her meds. It was due to an incompetent podiatrist who didn't know how to evaluate the problem, was unaware of the extent of her problem or the need to drain the extremity, and dicked around with it until the patient collapsed. Only then did he get help. He consulted me. The infection was bloodborne by then, which is why she decompensated at that point, and had traveled up the calf.

Fennario

#197589 Dec 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Job 21:24
Verse 24.- His breasts are full of milk; rather, his milk-pails, as in the margin. The main wealth of the time being cattle, the man whose milk-pails are always full is the prosperous man. And his bones are moistened with marrow. Being thus wealthy and prosperous, his body is fat and well nourished. Verse 24.- And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul. Others have to suffer terribly before death comes to them. Their whole life is wretched, and their spirit is embittered by their misfortunes. And never eateth with pleasure; rather, and never tasteth of good (see the Revised Version).
http://biblehub.com/job/21-24.htm
Deuteronomy 28:27
Deuteronomy 28:27-29
King James Version (KJV)
27 The Lord will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods, and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed.
28 The Lord shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart:
29 And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.
Ezekiel 4:12
12. dung--as fuel; so the Arabs use beasts' dung, wood fuel being scarce. But to use human dung so implies the most cruel necessity. It was in violation of the law ( Deuteronomy 14:3 , 23:12-14 ); it must therefore have been done only in vision.
http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/j...
Ezekiel 5:10
Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee,
&c.] Which was long ago threatened by the Lord, and prophesied of by Moses,( Leviticus 26:27 )( Deuteronomy 28:53 Deuteronomy 28:55 Deuteronomy 28:57 ) ; and was fulfilled at several times in the people of Israel, as at the siege of Samaria,( 2 Kings 6:28 2 Kings 6:29 ) ; at the siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar,( Lamentations 4:10 ) ; and at the siege of the same city by Titus Vespasian, as Josephus F23 relates; for though these instances only show that mothers ate their children, yet no doubt the fathers took part with them; and if mothers, who are naturally more tender, could do this, it is much more reasonable to suppose that fathers did the same: and the sons shall eat their fathers;
this, though nowhere recorded, yet doubtless was done; it being as reasonable to think that a son might eat his father as a father his son, though both monstrously shocking: and I will execute judgments in thee;
punishments, such as pestilence, famine, and sword, after mentioned: and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds;
that is, those that remain, and are not cut off, by the above judgments, shall be carried captive into Babylon, or be dispersed in to Egypt, Ammon, Moab, and other places: this had a full accomplishment in the dispersion of the Jews into the several parts of the world, when they were destroyed by the Romans. http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/g...
Proverbs 26:11
Fools and dogs have similar traits, nuff said.
Thanks for all of that. It was riveting.

So that was your explanation? Of what? What do you think you explained? Do you think whatever you just posted makes those scriptures less shocking or repulsive?
Eagle 12 wrote:
We all learned something about you today. For starters you’re frequently going to Atheist web sites and getting your information spoon feed to you. Off the shelf canned responses. Everyone of these can be explained.
With off the shelf canned responses that was spoon-fed to you from theist websites, and which explain nothing. Well played.

You're wrong, by the way, about where I got my list. I compiled it myself. I add to it periodically whenever I run into a new shocking scripture. The last one, number [20] was provided by scaritual at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Fennario

#197590 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I believe some over-arching intelligence exists, and we are part of it. I can't prove it, and to further detail it is interesting, but I really don't know. At times, I have doubts of even that. But then, at times, I doubt everything.
That's possible, and seems like a harmless belief.

You may be a pantheist or panentheist. Either way, as long as you express uncertainty, you're also agnostic as many of us use the word.

Fennario

#197591 Dec 31, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
OK I can accept that. Can you accept the fact My experience with Catcher has been different then yours and has led me to my conclusion?
Yes.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#197592 Dec 31, 2013
Happy New Year, everyone!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#197593 Dec 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Personally I think you’re really confused about your sexuality. Sometimes you’re a man and sometimes you’re a woman. Look you have resources, get some help.
You're confused about reality.

The most important aspect of your life is a superstitious belief system that incorporates impossible and improbable claims about reality. Not only that, it promotes outdated and failed ideas about how best to live.

Unfortunately, you're beyond help, unless you would volunteer for deprogramming. I don't see that happening. You ARE volunteering to be our example. You're helping others to escape the clutches of your religion by expressing yourself in a medium you cannot control. In this place, rational skeptics have the overwhelming advantage.

Like Bongo and several others, you are helping us, and hurting your religion. Thank you for that.

Fennario

#197594 Dec 31, 2013
Gods do not exist:
A. Definitely true (gnostic atheist)
B. Probably true (agnostic atheist)
C. Possibly true, possibly false. I choose not to believe.(also an agnostic atheist)
D. Possibly true, possibly false. I choose to believe (agnostic theist)
E. Probably false (also an agnostic theist)
F. Definitely false (gnostic theist)
Buck Crick wrote:
Yes, I concede, category "F" is a category of liars, if they claim to "know" for certain. My beef is not with them, as I am a theist.
That's an odd comment.

Are categories C and D what you call none of the above? If not, what is a none-of-the-above?

Fennario

#197595 Dec 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. it irritates me when posters drop big words out of context to impress .. there's a rhythm to everything we do in life, an ebb and flow. Writing is like that, it has a rhythm .. Bongo's posts fail to impress me because they do fail to fall into a preordained place. Instead, to impress, he's compelled to inject a fancy word out of context. That fails to impress me ..
I have encouraged Bongo (and would include everybody else as well) to use new words as soon and often as possible, until they become yours.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
someday, I hope to write as well as you or AIN's ..
Thanks, but I don't feel like much of a writer. I like your style, though.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#197596 Dec 31, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dagwood, if I were the old Buck, I would say something insulting to you.
Probably something like,...if a bullfrog had your brain, he would shit and hop backwards in it.
Oh. Sorry. I apologize.

You would have to think twice to make it as a half wit.

Sorry for setting the expectations too high.

(All in good fun, Buck. All in good fun.)

Fennario

#197597 Dec 31, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Happy New Year, everyone!
Happy New Year, Rosa.

Location hidden

#197598 Dec 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. have you ever considered writing fiction ??..
Writhing from friction?

Well now that you ask....

Location hidden

#197599 Dec 31, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
People willing to die for an imaginary being is very sick and very sad.
It's quite literally insane.

Of course, allowing any delusion to factor in to any important decisions is insane to me.

Delusions aren't really that dangerous until you start interacting with the real world using an interpretation of that world that is completely disconnected from it.

Location hidden

#197600 Dec 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Phil Robertson paid for his say so, because he's a Christian.
Does Maher get knocked off the air for saying cruel things? Nope. Feb,'13 he said on Conan:“We found early this year or last year in the Republican primaries when the Republicans made contraception an issue, 98% of Catholics use birth control and the only ones who don’t are the priests. They would if altar boys could get pregnant.”
He insinuated that all priests are child molesters.
That went away quietly with NO punishment.
Hypocrites.
Sometimes I forget just how shamelessly ignorant you are, and then you go and post something like this.

If nobody else tackles this mess, remind me and I'll come back to it later.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#197601 Dec 31, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I have no problem with the teachings of Jesus ..
.. I have a problem with Evangelical churches that preach bigotry ..
.. there's a big difference ..
I know we won't agree on which churches do this but in your perfect world what would you do? Do you like the path we are on now where public opinion does all it can to put pressure via what is popular by most? Would you like to see the government have a role in doing something about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... 1 hr wondering 10
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr replaytime 67,566
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Eagle 12 28,712
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 5 hr Eagle 12 3,559
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Apr 25 superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Apr 25 superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
More from around the web