Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#197402 Dec 30, 2013
Freebird USA wrote:
<quoted text>Your claim is clearly both wrong and unproveable.
Someone has proved the existence of gods? Do tell.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#197403 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Thanks.
Anytime, honey.

Per Standard Operating Procedure, the money's on the dresser.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197404 Dec 30, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, religion is the gift that keeps giving. As a bonus, it allows you to define others according to your beliefs and devalue someone's personhood and life experience ..
.. Hindu? You don't have a clue what I believe or don't believe ,,
.. gender confused? Again, you don't have a clue ..
.. posters like AIN and Buck have command of the English language and use it to express their beliefs. Each word is carefully selected to give meaning to their thoughts, not to impress ..
.. in contrast, you parse a sentence together and rely on a few million dollar words to impress. Did I ever tell you that I am not impressed by people who want to impress ??..
That was kinda' mean, HL.

Especially the part about not being impressed by people who want to impress.

That negates most of Buckism.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#197405 Dec 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Feeling pity for the misfortune of another.
Something that evokes your sympathy and causes you to commiserate is pathetic, where the root pathos refers to suffering. You can see the root in "empathy" (the ability to suffer with) and "sympathy" (the experience of suffering with), and also in pathology (the study of disease). The word dis-ease also implies suffering, as does com-miserate, as in sharing misery with.
This photo is pathetic in the constructive sense of the word:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8...
Of course, today, the word has involved to include a derogatory (destructive) sense of the words as well, one that shows disdain for what is being called pathetic, as in definitions 2 at.http://www.thefreedictionar y.com/pathetic . Definition 1 is the original and constructive sense of the word.
Interesting thanks......

#197406 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Don't you think that you are being a little uncharitable here? Catcher was addressing me in a discussion of how we feel about Dave, and how we treat him. He is describing an unenviable existence in descriptive terms. I have never seen Catcher rub Dave's nose in any of this. I'd say - and have recently said - that he shows admirable restraint.
Dave is quick with his condescending language and personal smears for Catcher and me, and in my case, a willingness to fantasize out loud about my suffering. Neither of us has given him just cause for that.
So how to respond, if at all?
Those that have known me the longest know that I have not tolerated this kind of disrespect in the past, and have gone to war with several people posting in this thread at this time over it. I suppose that is because I was not used to it before coming to Topix, and reacted with outrage. The combination of that resulting in wars that I did not enjoy, and getting used to it, has caused me to rethink my approach to this type of situation.
And I confess to be conflicted when I read Dave's vile and loathsome posting. My instinct is to come back at him. I am working to harness that, and think that I have shown a fair amount of restraint.
But Catcher actually has positive feelings for the guy. I would like to be that way some day, and will work to do so if I can by reflecting on the matter and trying to understand my feelings.
But I would be lying to say that I am that man today. What I feel today is the opposite, and it was that difference between Catcher and me that I was commenting on. Catcher was being frank in explaining that he has the same assessment of Dave, and has been treated the same by him, but that he has feelings of pity for the man nevertheless.
So, I think that you have misunderstood and misjudged Catcher's post. He wasn't looking for a way to hypocritically slip in a back-handed insult to Dave. He could do that at any time.He was being honest about his perceptions of Dave and his experience dealing with him.
Catcher and I might have had this conversation privately to spare Dave's feelings, but Dave's feelings aren't the only consideration, and I don't see where he has earned that kind of consideration anyway. These are the kinds of discussions that we all benefit from - hopefully you as well - and why they're worth having publicly. Where else are you going to see these kinds of matters involving people that you are familiar with and have witnessed interacting discussed in this frank and analytical fashion? It's a great opportunity for all of us, and if Dave has to read a few unflattering words about himself, so be it.
OK I can accept that. Can you accept the fact My experience with Catcher has been different then yours and has led me to my conclusion?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#197407 Dec 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I never hid my ideology
I simply don't need hate and propaganda to express it
That is the difference between us
I know better and choose better
You know better and choose worse
That is too bad my Christian brother. Ironic how Christians are so quick to point out how nonsensical it is to try to broad-brush Christianity because of a lone lunatic like Hitler and are first to point out how it is simply hate rhetoric to use Hitler. But get some of those same Christians talking about politics and they will turn around and use Hitler like it is nothing. Heck, I just saw someone try to blame 9-11 on a blowjob! If the government was distracted it was because of the Republicans who whipped it into a frenzy going after the most ludicrous attempt at an impeachment ever. But again, just more propaganda and hate rhetoric to even try to link the two.
There was a discernible level of hypocrisy in that post.

I'm not Christian.

The Clintons are meglomaniacs, especially the she Clinton.

Location hidden

#197408 Dec 30, 2013
irecknso wrote:
ah, the answer lies within!
Within a Budweiser bottle?!

“The..”

#197409 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>How is that known?
Simple really, gods only exist in the religious imagination.

Like Santa and the Easter Bunny only exist in a child's imagination.

Like luck dragons that spit out peanut butter cups only exist in a Delusional Schizophrenic's imagination.

Just because lots and lots of people believe an imaginary being exists, without any evidence whatsoever, doesn't make it true.

It never will, your numbers are declining and y'all wouldn't be stomping your feet and frothing at the mouth so much if a part of you didn't know that.

I'm glad you found a good site in Aus for statistical data btw. It shows you can think when properly motivated.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#197410 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?
You're comparing Fox News to the Daily Show?!
***cues Twilight Zone music***
Almost all of Fox News is editorials now where they take news clips and then some host gives their opinion

Explain to me the difference

“The..”

#197411 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>"anymore"?

Dude, you really need to go back to a history class.
Oh right you are, apologies.

We don't have to swallow your garbage anymore, without you being able to kill us by the millions.

Thanks for that RR.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#197412 Dec 30, 2013
irecknso wrote:
<quoted text> your saying "christanity" is "shaming it's own people into religion? for profit no doubt? i'm sure it applies to all,, hmm, a point to ponder i reckn!
.. the foundation of all Abraham religions is rooted in shame and fear, the opposite of freedom ..

.. the god within you will recognize the god within others ..

.. I recognize the god within Catcher, an atheist attorney in this forum. He's going to be angry with me but here goes ..

.. recently Pay Pal screwed our Animal Rescue Center out of $60 by claiming identity theft. It was well within their rights because I signed a contract agreeing to their terms. Funny thing? Catcher gave me his American Express card number and told me he wanted to donate $60 to our fight for animal rights ..

.. for me, that signifies true spirituality, a consciousness of everything around him. So, my god easily recognizes his god ..

.. Bongo? Not so much. He wants me to feel shame instead of freedom. My god doesn't recognize his god but through prayer (a form of meditation), my resentment will disappear. His resentment will continue by referring to me as an un-nature woman with gender confusion ..

.. would you like to see my scarf collection? I have long ones, short ones, black ones, pink ones . They'll teach you about surrender ..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#197413 Dec 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a discernible level of hypocrisy in that post.
I'm not Christian.
The Clintons are meglomaniacs, especially the she Clinton.
What was hypocritical?

And had you left it at "The Clintons are meglomaniacs, especially the she Clinton" then I would have left that at your opinion

I asked you for a specific reason if you though he loved his country and it was because the new way of politics is to teach compromise or even giving an inch when it comes to recognizing something good about someone in the other party is akin to being a traitor. Throw pride in the mix and it is easy to see why so many people get swept up in it

I didn't however expect you to take it the other way and start comparing him to mass murderers. You and I both know that you know that is simply hate rhetoric and you gave into it. But fine let's move past it

Here's one for ya. I even agree with you that both have massive egos which can be dangerous and has caused problems in the past

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#197414 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it would if y'all, as a vast majority, didn't act the same.
I love how the most bigoted group of people in the history of the world, christians, are all crying and stomping their feet because no one has to swallow their garbage anymore.
Priceless.
Strange I have yet to see what you speak of. Next year I will mark my 10th year as a Christian. Been to quite a few churches and can say in those 10 years I've met exactly zero Christians that act the same and get upset (to the point of most of the people ranting in this forum that aren't Christian) when the gospel is rejected. When I witness many times I get people that have no interest. Remind me of this the next time a Christian, any Christian speaks of his or her faith and who gets upset to the point of the recent flap over a tv show where one dared to speak his thoughts. Its not the Christians stomping.

With Established Harem

#197415 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Well most gays dress up like freaks and flaunt their naked bodies at gay parades.
Hey it's ok, I said "most".....
o.O
You're smarter than that, HL.
.. have you ever been to a gay pride parade or do you just view what Fox wants you to see ??..

.. FEW gays dress up like freaks and flaunt naked bodies ..

.. it's about pride, not nudity ..

#197416 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Within a Budweiser bottle?!
I'm pretty sure he meant a fortune cookie..........

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#197417 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is gibberish to them, Dave. Not to me.
The universe and life unfolds as if it saw us coming.
That could be because we are here and observe from our own perspective, or it could be because it is true.
That's a good question for a field of science to investigate. Some have been investigating it for years.
They get called derogatory names.
If one can separate their self from that narrow perspective of individual looking at the universe they will readily see we as a species are like a plant or any other organism made of components linked by DNA patterns and heretofore unseen communications. Organism, machine, or whatever you want to call it. I could write lots about how and why, but I ain't. But basically something blooming in the garden. It can turn into something worth keeping if it realizes what it is and how to behave itself.

Topix atheists are diseased cells.

Location hidden

#197418 Dec 30, 2013
Gods do not exist:
A. Definitely true (gnostic atheist)
B. Probably true (agnostic atheist)
C. Possibly true, possibly false. I choose not to believe.(also an agnostic atheist)
D. Possibly true, possibly false. I choose to believe (agnostic theist)
E. Probably false (also an agnostic theist)
F. Definitely false (gnostic theist)
Are categories C and D what you call none of the above? If not, what is a none-of-the-above? What kind of person would not be able to choose one of these six categories apart from an microcephalic, an infant and somebody in a coma? Perhaps somebody with Stage 7 Alzheimer's disease.

Blob?

Yes, I concede, category "F" is a category of liars, if they claim to "know" for certain. My beef is not with them, as I am a theist.

I am in category "E".

I disagree on the Topix history. Multiple posters post as atheists and claim to have no belief concerning deities. And they also claim membership in category "A".

Location hidden

#197419 Dec 30, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
RIDER
.. this post tells me Bongo has unraveled the profundity (using one of his million dollar words) of life's mystery: God said it, I believe it, case closed ..
.. is he still on the journey? Doubtful, his bible god obstructs his vision. He'll embrace the blind dogma tightly, unable to get past the imagery. If an authentic spiritual experience occurs, he won't recognize it ..
.. in other words, his religion has lulled him into a deep sleep ..
If you think he's in a deep sleep now, wait till he and I square off.

With Established Harem

#197420 Dec 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I thought just MOST of them were deviant gauche promiscuous spreaders of aids moral decline and debauchery . they sometimes try to seduce normal folk. They can be found at any highway rest area and airport bathroom. since all the public bathhouses were closed for health reasons.
.. gays should be ashamed of themselves, right ??..

.. after all, they spread AIDS or STD's. Go to Africa and speak to married women with AIDS. They may have a different perspective ..

.. do you know how to 'toe-tap'??..

Location hidden

#197421 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
It's well known that no deities exist

RiversideRedneck wrote:
How is that known?
LuciFerr wrote:
Simple really, gods only exist in the religious imagination.
How is THAT known?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 50 min Eman 22,413
Can atheists pray? Gretta Vosper on Andrew W.K.... 53 min Reason Personified 7
Our world came from nothing? 1 hr Patrick n Angela 492
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 1 hr nOgOd 1
After brutal persecution, Albania 'reopened' to... 1 hr sava 3
Noah's flood real (Oct '12) 3 hr Patrick n Angela 4,511
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 5 hr hpcaban 348
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE