Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197506 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Scarves ain't gonna hold down that big sumbitch.
Unless you have some chain scarves in your collection....
Of if she's a female Bigfoot.

That bitch roughed me up pretty good.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#197507 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Still won't answer?
It's OK. I know the answer is "true".
So you're a Gnostic answer "knower". As I said previously, I've answered that question for myself. You're wrong in each way - either A or B - in which the question can be answered.

Buck Crick wrote:
Answer this question for yourself:
I believe no god exists. A. True B. False

That's how you want it to be answered. It doesn't apply.
Buck Crick wrote:
You believe no god exists.
I sometimes wonder if theists have a problem understanding the process, since they believe a deity exists, and due to that, they find it must be that an atheist has to "believe" a deity doesn't exist.

This is why I think this; I've often heard the theist say they lost faith in their deity and didn't believe in the deity, and that they felt the deity had abandoned them.

The implication being that they still thought the deity existed, but their belief in the deity - the confidence they had in the deity - was diminished, and many have said they considered themselves an atheist at that point. It's easy to see they were not an atheist.
Buck Crick wrote:
But you are dishonest. While believing no god exists, you want to claim you have no belief.
Game, set, match.
No, it isn't that I'm dishonest at all.

I've a feeling you won't get this, and I'm not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or genuinely unable to grasp the meaning.

Suppose you and I are walking through the woods. You believe you heard a hawk. You aren't sure you heard a hawk, but in your mind, you believe you heard a hawk.

You turn to me and say: "I believe I heard a hawk".

I didn't hear a thing, and I say to you: "I didn't hear a hawk, I didn't hear anything that sounded like a hawk, I don't have a belief I heard a hawk."

The belief you have that you heard a hawk is yours.

Listen carefully; At that point, I do not have a belief I did not hear a hawk. It isn't a belief at all.

It's simple.

I don't have the belief, that you do, that you heard a hawk.

I lack that belief, and so it is with deities.

I lack the theistic belief that there are deities.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#197509 Dec 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
SNL does parodies
The Daily Show covers real news with real news clips and then makes jokes about it in an editorialized fashion
Truth be told it isn't any different than Fox News. Except the jokes are intentional
:)
Your partisanship is one thing. But you are loose with facts.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#197510 Dec 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree
Although I think its important to note the reason they wouldn't normally do it isn't necessarily because they are better than that. People simply enjoy the protection that comes in numbers and it gives them what could also be described as "liquid courage" in keeping with the analogy. People often are the most honest when drunk. They just would have kept those opinions hidden while sober
A drunk mind speaks a true heart.

That works almost every time.

But inhibitions are an unconscious restraint of a behavioral desire or impulse. Finding out if it's an impulse or desire is sometimes the hard part.

Look at how crowds act in riots. Whether it's an opposition to government or some sports team won some game, the people in those crowds lose their inhibition in what I think is a desire, not an impulse. It's like they desire to harm others, break shit, loot, steal, etc. and when they get the opportunity, they let loose.

A person is smart, people are dumb.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#197511 Dec 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> poor scar scar, has a belief and does not know it. This statement of yours is untrue , you see , spiritual things are spiritually discerned.
It's too bad you can't sense the Flazatham.

It's okay, just trust that it is and that Flazatham exists.

The entire universe owes it's existence to the Flazatham.
Bongo wrote:
Faith came by hearing the word but then something happens, its not about what you read or hear anymore. Great thing is, everyman has an opportunity if he can humble self, even the likes of the hardened enemies of God on this thread.
Mumbo jumbo, Bongo Tom Tom.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197512 Dec 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Fair enough
No I haven't seen it. Was it good?
Honestly I didn't even know there was an original Hobbit
I may check it out now. I am always looking for good movies
I saw The Butler the other day with Forrest Whittaker and that was really good. I also saw Captain Phillips and it was a decent movie but I was glad I didn't find out until after that it may not have been portrayed very accurately. I guess the crew has sued the Captain and company in real life and claim he intentionally disregarded warnings about pirates and also sailed 4x closer to the coast then they were supposed to save time and money even after being warned about the pirates. And unlike the movie, he never offered himself in exchange for his crew.
I really want to see that Lost Vegas movie
Honestly I think the first three LOTR movies were so far better than the first two Hobbit movies, but it was still a really good movie.

I like dragons, the best (so far) dragons in movies for me was the one in Beowulf and the other on in Dragon Heart, voiced by Sean Connery.

But I tell you what, Smaug is my new favorite movie dragon.

The only thing I didn't like about Hobbit 2 was the length, nearly three hours long. It definitely had some unneeded scenes in it.

Other than that, great movie.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197513 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Of if she's a female Bigfoot.
That bitch roughed me up pretty good.
Luci says I should call you a liar.

Because you've never had a Bigfoot woman.

Ugh.... The humanity....

Calgon, take me away.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#197514 Dec 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow
Its like you crawled down into the sewer and decided there wasn't enough shit it in it and came back with your own
Nobody who simply wanted power or money would ever want to be a president. It is a terrible job and the people with real power and real money stay clear of public service. While some of the lower levels of public service are simply opportunists, nobody that takes public service all the way to the presidency does so without loving their country. And presidents are vetted so hard that fakes don't make it through the process.
You are intentionally distorting what I wrote when you claim "The appeal to patriotism is the last refuge." If you aren't smart enough to debate without lying maybe you ought to wait till an exchange comes by you can honestly participate in? An appeal to patriotism is not what I am doing at all. What I am doing is recognizing that certain people are patriots. I don't believe for a second you don't understand the difference. I'm not sitting in a Jerry Springer audience chanting "U-S-A". I am giving credit where it is due to people who through their actions, even decades into their post-presidency, are still dedicating their life to this country because they care.
Man, watching hate spread is like watching cancer cells spread. It infects everything
Presidents are vetted so hard fakes don't make it through the process??

Are you nuts? They had Clinton on tape suborning perjury while he was running the first time!

He received an induction notice, and never reported.

That's not even considering the common knowledge of his whoring.

And he was so vetted, a fake could not get through?

You claimed all presidents are patriots. Now you back pedal.

Do yourself a favor, and don't comment on politics. Find something you know a little about.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#197515 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Luci says I should call you a liar.

Because you've never had a Bigfoot woman.

Ugh.... The humanity....

Calgon, take me away.
I say no such thing.

Reasons RR will use for calling people liars;

- If they catch him in a lie.

- If they provide historical facts he doesn't like.

- If they say anything he doesn't like.

- If they make an error.

- If they make an observation he doesn't like, this will actually cause him to call one a bigot as well as a liar.

- If they refuse to think his delusions and pretend friends are real.

- If he reads a post wrong or doesn't understand it.

This happens regardless of whether one lies or not, unless another christian or himself lies, then it's fibbin or joking.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197516 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Are you nuts? They had Clinton on tape suborning perjury while he was running the first time!
Do yourself a favor, and don't comment on politics. Find something you know a little about.
O__O

Do you have a three?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197517 Dec 30, 2013
........('
.........\

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197518 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I say no such thing.
Reasons RR will use for calling people liars;
- If they catch him in a lie.
- If they provide historical facts he doesn't like.
- If they say anything he doesn't like.
- If they make an error.
- If they make an observation he doesn't like, this will actually cause him to call one a bigot as well as a liar.
- If they refuse to think his delusions and pretend friends are real.
- If he reads a post wrong or doesn't understand it.
This happens regardless of whether one lies or not, unless another christian or himself lies, then it's fibbin or joking.
I'm pretty sure Buck was joking about the Bigfoot chick.

Oh ye of little humor.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#197519 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone has proved the existence of gods? Do tell.
That's not what you said. Liar.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197520 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Skombolis went to university of the united states, I think he knows a lot about vonnegut
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#197521 Dec 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly I think the first three LOTR movies were so far better than the first two Hobbit movies, but it was still a really good movie.
I like dragons, the best (so far) dragons in movies for me was the one in Beowulf and the other on in Dragon Heart, voiced by Sean Connery.
But I tell you what, Smaug is my new favorite movie dragon.
The only thing I didn't like about Hobbit 2 was the length, nearly three hours long. It definitely had some unneeded scenes in it.
Other than that, great movie.
www.youtube.com/watch...
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#197522 Dec 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too bad you can't sense the Flazatham.
It's okay, just trust that it is and that Flazatham exists.
The entire universe owes it's existence to the Flazatham.
<quoted text>
Mumbo jumbo, Bongo Tom Tom.
so, youre not an atheist, youre bifurcated. hell, I don't give a shit. Honesty is good though,

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197523 Dec 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
Poor dragons.

They're always being hunted.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#197524 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what you said. Liar.
........('
.........\

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197525 Dec 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Skombolis went to university of the united states, I think he knows a lot about vonnegut
Ben went to University.

That's it.

Just "University".
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#197526 Dec 30, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. I have no problem with the teachings of Jesus ..
.. I have a problem with Evangelical churches that preach bigotry ..
.. there's a big difference ..
Tell us what bigotry you are referring too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min replaytime 79,986
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 2 hr Um_because_facts 103
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 3 hr Um_because_facts 92
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 19 hr River Tam 32,582
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) Fri blacklagoon 3 62
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web