Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247437 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197218 Dec 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it possible to know that? Do they tell you?
Buck intuition.

Location hidden

#197219 Dec 30, 2013
Atomic_G wrote:
I like how people that aren't atheist are still telling atheist who they are, and it's the same people.
Get A Life.
I like how atheists lie about who they are.

Get a conscience.

Location hidden

#197221 Dec 30, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they don't.
He is speculating randomly I think.
I noticed you didn't deny it.

Not sure why, since you have lied about other things.

For instance, you believe no god exists, but claim you have no belief.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#197222 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We disposed of the leprechaun and teapot analogies. They are fallacious.
One reason I wage this battle is to put atheists on the spot. They have the choice of declaring what they really believe, or being dishonest about it. Most choose the dishonest route. They will not admit their belief, while making it obvious - which is that gods do not exist. They will maintain that they have no belief. Yet call themselves atheists - which is a belief.
Perhaps you could explain this widespread willingness among atheists to be dishonest?
I won't give in to the ruse. The ruse I am speaking of is a huge one. It is a rhetorical sleight of hand to establish atheism as the intellectual, rational default position.
An advocate should win his case on merit. Not on word trickery.
By the way, there is still no such thing as an agnostic atheist or a married bachelor.
Your Creationist Cult is finished Buck. There's nothing left of it. There is no way you can make anyone in here believe your stupid opinion that the earth is 3000 years old.

Go home and give up.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#197223 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I like how atheists lie about who they are.
Get a conscience.
Buck, you're so full of sh*t you don't even realise it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#197224 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a simple disbelief in Religion and Religious liars like you buck.

Atheism is not a belief, it is a conclusion based on scientific evidence (reality) and lack of evidence from religion (self-important delusions and hallucinations).
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#197225 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck intuition.
Still no evidence of god, your intuition isn't worth sh*t.

Location hidden

#197226 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
You're confusing belief and (certain) knowledge. A belief is partial knowledge that is recognized as such. We don't generally use the word "believe" or "belief" when we are certain, nor do we call certainty "speculation."
To my recollection, you haven't answered me why you fight this battle so tenaciously. It can't be to change minds - to get unbelievers to adopt your preferred usage. By now you must realize that that isn't going to happen. Perhaps you are trying to recruit believers,although I don't see any resisting you.
All unbelievers reject all god claims. Most of us do not positively assert that gods cannot or do not exist for the same reason that we do not claim that leprechauns are impossible. You are correct that going from "no reason to believe" to "can be proven untrue" is a tiny leap of faith, and that is most proper to use the language of uncertainty, such as there are probably no gods. This is the position that many if not most of us unbelievers take, and we choose to call ourselves atheists. You're not going to change that.
In fact,by arguing the case you argue, you give atheists like me the opportunity to argue to the atheists who would make the positive claim of knowledge why they should modify their language to reflect philosophical or intellectual uncertainty, which you may recall was defined as an understanding that doubt exists where none is experienced psychologically. I have no nagging doubts about leprechauns of gods, but I can understand the limits of knowledge and acknowledge the miniscule degree of uncertainty that remains when something cannot be disproven. Russell's teapot is also in this category.
You must find some value in fighting this fight at the cost of not only not making any inroads with unbelievers, but allowing us to educate one another about the strength and validity of taking the agnostic atheist position, and limiting claims of certainty to the specific gods that are logically impossible - the "married bachelor" type of god.
Can you say why you fight this fight?
I don't understand why you think philosophical or intellectual uncertainty is incompatible with a declaration of belief - either in theism or atheism.

Both are beliefs. It is perfectly consistent to believe no god exists (atheism) and yet have intellectual and philosophical uncertainty of the truth of it. Same with theism.

To my observation, that is the prevailing position of atheists. They don't know with certainty that no god exists, but they are convinced of the proposition that none does.

That position is valid. But they will not admit to it. I think the reason is they prefer the false position of "no belief" because of the intellectual sold ground it provides.

Hence the ruse.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#197227 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand why you think philosophical or intellectual uncertainty is incompatible with a declaration of belief - either in theism or atheism.
Both are beliefs. It is perfectly consistent to believe no god exists (atheism) and yet have intellectual and philosophical uncertainty of the truth of it. Same with theism.
To my observation, that is the prevailing position of atheists. They don't know with certainty that no god exists, but they are convinced of the proposition that none does.
That position is valid. But they will not admit to it. I think the reason is they prefer the false position of "no belief" because of the intellectual sold ground it provides.
Hence the ruse.
Evidence is not a belief.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197228 Dec 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> Your response isn't surprising at all, since you depend primarily on something other people have either told you to believe or told you to read so you'll know what you believe.
poor scar scar, has a belief and does not know it. This statement of yours is untrue , you see , spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Faith came by hearing the word but then something happens, its not about what you read or hear anymore. Great thing is, everyman has an opportunity if he can humble self, even the likes of the hardened enemies of God on this thread.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#197229 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't.
Loose Fur, I know you reported me to Topix moderators.
If you get me kicked off this thread, I won't be that disappointed.
Others might be, since they have a good time jousting with me.
So do you worst, you little child.

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't dobbed you in yet but it doesn't mean I won't.

I've reported the following posters;

- Shrinkie dinkie doo doo.

- NOT a viking.

- asssup

I'll let you know if I ever bother to care enough about anything you say to report you.

You're going to have to rise above junior high style Bucky duck and please do wipe your chinny chin chin.

I'm sure you just missed it or didn't understand it.

I lack belief in deities.

You're very welcome Bucky duck. You could at least tuck a paper towel into the collar of your shirt.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197230 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
OK. Thank ye for sharing. That's a beautiful doctrine you've embraced.
I really feel so blessed. amazing grace

Location hidden

#197231 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
Even if this is historically accurate, it doesn't invalidate the merit of the argument (genetic fallacy). In fact, I just made a similar argument myself as to why it is not only logically accurate to use the words "atheist" and "agnostic" as many of us are now doing and recommending do, but perhaps also strategically sound.
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't atheists reframe the argument? We don't concede that privilege to our detractors.
And yes, atheism is the default position in the debate over the existence of gods. That's why most agnostics are atheists. If you can't be certain either way, you should not accept god claims.
<quoted text>
So what? Some think they're wrong. Some think we're refining a flawed concept.
<quoted text>
Once again, so what? Yes, there is work to do to get some unbelievers to embrace the word "atheist" after being raised to think of atheists as vile, corrupt, liars, none of whom are any good, and who are the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers. That's how the church framed the issue.
You prove my point.

The attempt to re-brand atheism is not an intellectual argument - it is a rhetorical argument and a strategy, not an attempt to elucidate.

Atheism is not the default position, and carries the same burden of proof as theism.

Atheists should make their case intellectually, not by sleight of hand.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197232 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have been in many courtrooms, in trial and appellate courts, state and federal."
Same here.
"I have also been in many county jails, state prisons, federal prisons, and state facilities for involuntary commitment (incompetent to stand trial, criminally insane)"
Same here.
"I have even been in jail cells and prison lockup facilities, and in visiting rooms of all sorts."
Ditto.
Our experience is so similar. It's no wonder you know almost as much about law as I know.
Bet you he don't know about shock treatment

Location hidden

#197233 Dec 30, 2013
Jim wrote:
... because when you go to a doctor they can explain to you EXACTLY how you work.
There's no fooling a doctor ...
Then why do they buy malpractice insurance?

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahhaha. ...

I guess that's why there's no such term as "misdiagnosed".

Bwahahahahahahhahahahahhaha...

And you said you disbelieve gods.

Bwahahahahahahahhahaha....

Bongo

Coram, NY

#197234 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
We disposed of Perhaps you could explain this widespread willingness among atheists to be dishonest?
I won't give in to the ruse. The ruse I am speaking of is a huge one..
By the way, there is still no such thing as an agnostic atheist or a married bachelor.
Most atheists and the bifurcated ones are fainted Christians and have read their bible. Deep down inside they know the consequence if they are wrong and they really really really just don't know if they are right , how could they?

Since: Dec 13

Location hidden

#197235 Dec 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> just don't know if they are right , how could they?
Our conscience lets know what is right and what is wrong. A moral compass that some decide to break with evil intention.

Location hidden

#197236 Dec 30, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

Gods do not exist:
A. Definitely true (gnostic atheist)
B. Probably true (agnostic atheist)
C. Probably false (agnostic theist)
D. Definitely false (gnostic theist)
A and B are atheists. Both have a belief - that gods do not exist.

A is an atheist who is a liar. This category includes most Topix atheists.

A, B, C, and D are persons who have a belief.

" None of the above" represents lack of belief. Yet this is what most Topix atheists claim.

He tries to be both "A" and "none of the above".

Location hidden

#197237 Dec 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Bet you he don't know about shock treatment
Or the experimental anti-psychotic drugs they used up at Danville before authorities closed it down.

I had night vision and lockjaw for 3 months.

Bongo

Coram, NY

#197238 Dec 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do they buy malpractice insurance?
Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahhaha. ...
I guess that's why there's no such term as "misdiagnosed".
Bwahahahahahahhahahahahhaha...
And you said you disbelieve gods.
Bwahahahahahahahhahaha....
better yet, why do they have a culture of covering up, protecting one anothers faults, lying to patients and their families , every word as if walking on eggshells. They are not much different then the catholic church leaders are they?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 21 min thetruth 47,806
Proof of God for the Atheist 21 min Shizle 123
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 22 min thetruth 12,661
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr ChristineM 2,353
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 6 hr thetruth 14,715
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 11 hr thetruth 7
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 17 hr thetruth 21
More from around the web