Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#197054 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> This makes me think you have no credibility , you just admonished Buck , saying that you hope he only paid me minimum wage. A family man currently paying 4 ivy league college bills with a fifth coming next year. Then again, if you had your way, my kids could have all got a free ride off the govt. all of them having achieved scholar athelete award status in high school among other things. Do you advocate that min. wage concept for perceived or real poor performance for yourself and all the inept lawyers who have lost for their clients resulting in financial ruin and jail time?
I tried to follow that but then I got bored and said, "Fuckit".
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197055 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwww. I thought I was your favourite lesbian.
< sad face >
whos the old chick in the photo?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197056 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You need some Wheaties, vitamins, or something besides bong smoke. You are weak, IANS, and getting weaker. Your punches have nothing behind them.
That Alzheimer's is gonna get you, dood.
How do you know its not much safer vaporisers? Just think, using a vaporizer, you could sell the weed you already got high off of.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#197057 Dec 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution, like the rest of naturalistic science, is ateleological < http://www.thefreedictionary.com/teleological >. The biological theory is based on natural selection, not supernatural direction. There is no purpose or design in naturalistic evolutionary theory. Evolution is the "blind watchmaker".
<quoted text>
Disagree. We expect new discoveries to enhance the existing model, and their arrival is not conflict.
Notwithstanding the name of their Institute, the ID people have no discoveries - just a philosophy that is antithetical to naturalistic science, and which has never borne fruit. That is in conflict with mainstream science.
How about it, Dave? Buck is impressed with your scientific contribution. What do you have to add to this? EM waves? Magnetic flux?
You are heading down a "Hiding from You" path that did not progress well for her.

Every new discovery in biology is in conflict with mainstream biology, because the mainstream model does not include the new discovery. You can parse that anyway you like as far as degree of conflict, but it is true.

The ID people have no discoveries? Only a philosphy? Never borne fruit?

Hiding said the same thing. I forced her to capitulate by citing evidence.

If you would like me to start, I can begin here:

First question - Is this article by ID scientists published in "Philosophy" or in "Integrative Zoology"?

"Active bleb formation is abated in Lytechinus variegatus red spherule coelomocytes after disruption of acto-myosin contractility"

Is "acto-myosin contractility" a hot topic among philosophers? I haven't seen it.

Second question. Was this article by ID scientists published in a philosophy journal, or in "Biochemistry"? And does it intimate any potential "bearing fruit" at all?

Biochemistry.44(18):6877-88.
Framework model for DNA Polymerases.

". As an example application, we use the general framework ideas to build a detailed model for the HIV reverse transcriptase that is consistent with existing data, and predicts force-velocity curves and stepping-statistics histograms that can be directly compared to experiment."

....You get the sense of where this is going.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197058 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to follow that but then I got bored and said, "Fuckit".
Having gone through the "mill" like you did in your life, I suspect it takes a lot for you to not be bored.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197059 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are heading down a "Hiding from You" path that did not progress well for her.
Every new discovery in biology is in conflict with mainstream biology, because the mainstream model does not include the new discovery. You can parse that anyway you like as far as degree of conflict, but it is true.
The ID people have no discoveries? Only a philosphy? Never borne fruit?
Hiding said the same thing. I forced her to capitulate by citing evidence.
If you would like me to start, I can begin here:
First question - Is this article by ID scientists published in "Philosophy" or in "Integrative Zoology"?
"Active bleb formation is abated in Lytechinus variegatus red spherule coelomocytes after disruption of acto-myosin contractility"
Is "acto-myosin contractility" a hot topic among philosophers? I haven't seen it.
Second question. Was this article by ID scientists published in a philosophy journal, or in "Biochemistry"? And does it intimate any potential "bearing fruit" at all?
Biochemistry.44(18):6877-88.
Framework model for DNA Polymerases.
". As an example application, we use the general framework ideas to build a detailed model for the HIV reverse transcriptase that is consistent with existing data, and predicts force-velocity curves and stepping-statistics histograms that can be directly compared to experiment."
....You get the sense of where this is going.
isn't he among those complaining about what happened to galileo?

Location hidden

#197060 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> whos the old chick in the photo?
I don't know. Which magazine are you fapping to?

Location hidden

#197061 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Having gone through the "mill" like you did in your life, I suspect it takes a lot for you to not be bored.
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/
Bongo

Coram, NY

#197062 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. Which magazine are you fapping to?
Now I know youre much older than you say. Who uses magazines when theres an internet?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#197063 Dec 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say you partisan hate was balanced with partisan love
And asking Buck anything to do with understanding what someone else wrote isn't going to be something I am going to make a practice of
I realize that you see that as somehow a justification for comparing Clinton to Hitler. That you also aren't big fans of some other people so therefore the unjustified hate rhetoric you reserve for one part is more acceptable. You will have to forgive me if i don't see the connection. Then again maybe it is me. I don't see the connection between a mass-murderer and a man who could have made way more in the private sector but dedicated his life to public service all the way up to the presidency because he loves his country.
If you are so far gone that you can't see that presidents, all presidents, are patriots then the political gap that divides this country won't be bridged anytime soon. I take some solace in the fact that I think the coming generations will be smarter in this regard. Or they may simply just be too apathetic to care. But either way, the insanity that exists today will start to die out as people do. Please don't take that as a subtle inference as to my wishes for you personally. I would have to be insane to think one voice out of millions being absent would make any difference. I am simply saying I will be glad in general when the people who think like you no longer have a voice that carries any weight. As it is, the pendulum is already starting to swing back to normalcy. People are tired of the smear campaigns and hate and propaganda.
And I see some of the fringe elements of the Republican party as the enemy. So I don't pretend not to have my own line in the sand. But I don't hate them. I simply find them dangerous. Although I find ignorance in general dangerous. Adding hate to it is like adding a match to dynamite. I find you smart enough to know the difference. That is why it bothers me particularly more so in these kinds of situations. Surely you know comparing Clinton to Hitler for the rhetoric it is yet you did it anyway. You ought to think about why
Just saying
You used to make more sense than you do now.

Your ideology is showing.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#197064 Dec 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

That ex-bitch o mine was beating the shit outta me. She musta hit me at least a dozen times.
When the fangs came out, ole RR remembered what Papa taught him.
"If a girls man enough to hit, she's man enough to get hit."
So I bopped her on the top of the head.
And liberals like Catch call me a wife beater for it.
Dumb asses.
BenAdam wrote:
Last time you said you hit her because she bit you.
You are not a very good liar, RR. You can't remember your own lies.
RiversideRedneck wrote:

When the fangs came out, ole RR remembered what Papa taught him.

Dumb ass.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197065 Dec 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Probably because if God showed up on Oprah or stopped Sandy or something, the choice to love Him would not be there. Everyone would love Him if He provided miracles all the time. I'm sure God could force us to love Him, but I'm confident that's not what He wants. You might like this example, it's from a 19th century Danish philosopher:“Suppose there was a king who loved a humble maiden. The king was like no other king. Every statesman trembled before his power. No one dared breathe a word against him, for he had the strength to crush all opponents. And yet this mighty king was melted by love for a humble maiden. How could he declare his love for her? In an odd sort of way, his kingliness tied his hands. If he brought her to the palace and crowned her head with jewels and clothed her body in royal robes, she would surely not resist—no one dared resist him. But would she love him? She would say she loved him, of course, but would she truly? If he rode to her forest cottage in his royal carriage…that too would overwhelm her. He did not want a cringing subject. He wanted a lover, an equal…For it is only in love that the unequal can be made equal.”- Soren Kierkegaard

Isn't Mike Rotch Danish, too? He goes by his middle name, but Soren is his actual given first name. I hear he's living in Manhattan now and goes by New York Rotch.
I guess I answered your question....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197066 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Neocon creationist propogandists haven't realised:
1. 2005 was 8 years ago
2. Palin lost the election
3. Discovery institute FAILED to get creationism into schools.
Its been a bad decade for american creationism. Made worse by its advocates outspoken nature.
What election did Palin lose?

Location hidden

#197067 Dec 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Now I know youre much older than you say. Who uses magazines when theres an internet?
I know my audience, Bongo.

I was gonna say the AARP periodical but I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197068 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
This is what I was criticizing about the use of metaphor in what should be the most important words ever written. Doesn't the fate of souls depend on their meaning being clear?
Yes. The meaning is clear.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197069 Dec 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
(1) All known evidence indicates that matter is incapable of creating itself. The first law of thermodynamics states that “matter” is neither being created nor destroyed; it only changes from one form to another. There is not a shred of evidence that any material object has ever created itself.
(2) All evidence suggests that matter is not eternal. The second law of thermodynamics states that as matter undergoes transformation, there is a negative effect, a running-down process. This implies a commencement point (just as a wound-up clock implies a starting time). Since matter is incapable of creating itself (and yet it exists), and since it had a commencement point, logic suggests it had a non-material cause.
Nonsense.
(2) and (4) are just plain wrong, Energy (called matter here) does appear to be eternal, and human beings are evidence of material objects with moral sentiments.
You skipped 1.

In 2, matter is called matter, not energy.

Try again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197070 Dec 29, 2013
See above.
*looks up*

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197071 Dec 29, 2013
And a little insolent at times.
Respect is earned, not given.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197073 Dec 29, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave attempts to impress with his pseudoscientific theories, to validate his lonely existence.
Of course he is bitter and resentful of those who have reached a level of success, while he ekes out a meager existence in an isolated Colorado town, relying solely on government entitlements.
Dave consistently insults me and attempts to besmirch my character. Nevertheless, I feel pity for the guy and have a hard time retaliating.
besmirch?!

Lol, now you sound super duper smart.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#197074 Dec 29, 2013
Duckman wasn't fired for being a Christian.
Yup.

He was fired cuz he don't like homosexual sex.

Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 15 min Mr_SKY 2
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Eagle 12 6,340
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 5 hr par five 9,218
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 hr Dogen 17,917
News Is Religion Childish? (Sep '14) 12 hr The Headlines 160
News Atheist monument to counter ten commandments (Jul '13) 19 hr thetruth 20
News The Consequences of Atheism Fri thetruth 1,106
More from around the web