Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256542 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#196949 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Clintons are meglomaniacs who did a lot of wrongs and used their legal skills to avoid being held accountable. They had no problem destroying anyone who got in their way to power. The blow job was the brakes Gingrich and company put on that runaway train of ego and power. The Clinton admin was full of slime, and they got new life in this admin. Lawyers gone wild with power.
As opposed to all the squeaky clean administrations and all those who rose to power by handing out hugs?

I am not even going to ask you for examples because it wouldn't matter. We could tit for tat on every president back to Washington

Yes or No, do you think Bill Clinton loves his country and wanted what was best for it?

Please don't include anything else in your answer to that question other than what I asked

Obviously anything you want to get into aside from that is up to you. But I would like an honest answer. No partisanship. No bias. Insofar as that is possible for anyone. But yes or no?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#196950 Dec 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Correct. He was not fired for being Christian. His right is to believe what he likes without consequences. When he takes his religious opinions public, he it becomes a speech issue, and the government will not protecting him from the social consequences of his words..
He is also free to worship as he likes as long at he does not break the law doing it.
<quoted text>
I suggest you ask an attorney that you trust about this. I think that you will find out that you are mistaken about what is protected by that law and what is not.
People are fired all the time under similar circumstances.

Perhaps Eagle should petition his deity for the protection he desires.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196951 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>Agreed.

Christians playing victim is particularly off-putting. If the Christian is victimized, it is by his church.

Duckman uncritically imbibed his church's homophobic stance, and with what I assume by listening to him was little understanding of the possible ramifications of a minor celebrity repeating such ideas, discovered what the cost of expressing them on behalf of his church might be.

Likewise when people become missionaries in hostile regions and lose their lives. They are the victims of those who encouraged them to do so, and gave them the impression that a god or its holy spirit would protect them, or at least reward them. Muslim suicide bombers are victims of their faith in exactly the same way.

It's also unbecoming to read or hear Christians complain about being bullied by the words of a minority, especially one that it has abused just about as much as possible with far more than just words.

And I realize that many of you Christians are offended by comments such as these. But they are commonly held beliefs among unbelievers. Isn't it time to stop being offended and to begin looking at ways to project a more sympathetic image to such people? Unbelievers are in ascension. Don't you want to be thought of in as favorable a light as possible? You are free to react however you please, but what is in your best interest?
I'd call it observation more than belief myself.

The numbers don't look good.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196952 Dec 29, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
I agree with you. The fact that A&E has re-instated him, and so soon after the event, makes them look a little...dare I say, limp-wristed.
LOL. What a bunch of fags.

What reinstating Duckman shows me is what most of us have suspected all along, and that is that A&E made a business decision to fire Duckman, and another when reinstating him based on an unexpected show of support for him.

You can tell that A&E is merely reacting sheepishly to public opinion by virtue of its decision to make the announcement on a Friday afternoon. This is intended to minimize impact of the expected kerfuffle. You don't do that when you are basing your decision on any principle loftier than protecting the bottom line.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#196954 Dec 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>As opposed to all the squeaky clean administrations and all those who rose to power by handing out hugs?
I am not even going to ask you for examples because it wouldn't matter. We could tit for tat on every president back to Washington
Yes or No, do you think Bill Clinton loves his country and wanted what was best for it?
Please don't include anything else in your answer to that question other than what I asked
Obviously anything you want to get into aside from that is up to you. But I would like an honest answer. No partisanship. No bias. Insofar as that is possible for anyone. But yes or no?
That is a very constrained question that can't be answered with a simple yes or no. After all, there are presently 7 billion different views on what is best and what isn't. So I will answer the only way it can be.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bill and Hillary Clinton love and want what is best for their country the same as Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, and Mao Zedong. You can also throw Louis XIV and a few others in that same group, including Attila.

Location hidden

#196955 Dec 29, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post196813
<quoted text>
OK. Thanks for that.
I can't agree, however. The ID community is in conflict with mainstream biologists, which is what anti-evolution means to me. The fact that the movement embraces a corrupted form of the theory does not change that any more than my calling the laws of physics "god" makes me any less atheistic.
And I really don't see how you can divorce the term "intelligent design" from a creator.
Well, the Architect came up with the intelligent design.

The creator was just the lowest bidder.

And it shows.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196956 Dec 29, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Well, the Architect came up with the intelligent design.

The creator was just the lowest bidder.

And it shows.
lol

Fennario

#196958 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If you are an atheist, you believe there are no deities.
There are none that want to be known.But who knows what's hiding out there?
http://www.andyramblings.co.uk/uploads/Image/...
Buck Crick wrote:
If you refrain from belief on the subject, as you claim, then you are an agnostic.
Who among us doesn't believe that there probably is a god, or probably no god, or that it's 50-50, or some other position in the spectrum of belief and unbelief? How can you refrain from having an opinion or belief in that department?

Maybe you mean incapable of belief, as with a microcephalic or a comatose person?

Agnosticism is absence of knowing, not the absence of belief. I know how you like roots:

Agnostic - from a- "not" + gnostos "(to be) known"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php...

Location hidden

#196960 Dec 29, 2013
LCNin wrote:
An evangelical atheist troll is often one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being,
but
is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance coupled with juvenile profanity.
I don't think I've ever responded to you before. If your reported location is correct, you live where I used to.

Well, it seems like your gripe is with evangelism, intolerance, and juvenile profanity, but is it really? Do you oppose these things regardless of their source, atheists or theists? Do you think one group engages in these things more than the other?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#196961 Dec 29, 2013
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>I will leave the atheist alone, if he/she will leave me and my family alone. It is our freedom to do what we want, and I do not want them up in my face screaming. If they do then I will take up for myself. This is in retaliation for what a dude on here said to me in person. I know who you are and you know who I really am. Atheist crack me up! Tell us Mister atheist, what is the basis of any belief in an atheist universe? Is there something like free will in this purposeless cause and effect chain of a cosmos? And where does human thought come from? Is it material or immaterial? If it is immaterial, then can immaterial things be real?
Aren't all our thoughts simply the result of electrochemical processes in the physical brain? If so, then all your thoughts, including those posted here, are ultimately predetermined by the temps and trajectory of material particles starting at the Big Bang. You think your atheist thoughts (and I my Christian thoughts) because that is what blind unconscious material forces produced.
Yet here you were, an atheist, talking as if there really was a God just for the attentions of a beautiful woman. But we know how you talked when she was not around. If you did get her, would you try to change her with violence and force? I know for a fact that she attends Church every weekend. What a riot you are!
Dave?

Fennario

#196962 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Please explain how that means the Constitution contains a right to an abortion.
For practical purposes, the Constitution means what the people paid and empowered to interpret it tell us it means.

Westcliffe, CO

#196963 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
There are none that want to be known.But who knows what's hiding out there?
http://www.andyramblings.co.uk/uploads/Image/...
<quoted text>
Who among us doesn't believe that there probably is a god, or probably no god, or that it's 50-50, or some other position in the spectrum of belief and unbelief? How can you refrain from having an opinion or belief in that department?
Maybe you mean incapable of belief, as with a microcephalic or a comatose person?
Agnosticism is absence of knowing, not the absence of belief. I know how you like roots:
Agnostic - from a- "not" + gnostos "(to be) known"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php...
There is no way you can "know" there is a god or not from this perspective, therefore the default "lack of belief" would be agnosticism. The existence or non-existence of such would be based upon interpretation of what you observed, which is necessarily limited by perspective. "Atheism" is an advocation there is none, not a passive I don't know, and thus a belief system.

But the simple minded with aspirations and ego will use the term "atheist" because it sounds intellectual to them. After all, what else could the simple minded with ego do? It gets confusing for them to reconcile the finer points of word usage. If they just did an honest simple minded "I dunno" they could then advance in their thinking instead of being stuck in a confused circular state of thinking, which is not their strongest suit in this game of life.
Jim

London, UK

#196964 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish him luck with that.
PUBLIC WARNING: Creationist Cult Members active on topix Atheism forum:

Dave Nelson
Buck Crick (ex convict)
LCN (paid propogandist)
Bongo
Riverside Redneck
antiatheist
WarForOil

share / add to list & inform others.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196966 Dec 29, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>PUBLIC WARNING: Creationist Cult Members active on topix Atheism forum:

Dave Nelson
Buck Crick (ex convict)
LCN (paid propogandist)
Bongo
Riverside Redneck
antiatheist
WarForOil

share / add to list & inform others.
Four of those are considered trolls, like Shrinkie dink and assssup, by me anyway.
Jim

London, UK

#196967 Dec 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't begin to unravel all the logical distortion in this post.
I'll do the basic one - again, which unravels the rest.
Atheism is not the absence of a god belief. It is the presence of a god belief, namely, that god does not exist.
Atheism is a belief system. Components of it vary from one group to another, but all have certain commonalities.
Likewise, Abrahamic religions have a belief system. Components of it vary from one group to another, but all have certain commonalities.
As I said, I'm onto the ruse. It is pursuit of a rhetorical and philosophical advantage by trying to install atheism as an intellectual default position. The desired result, some of which is already accomplished, is the luxury of saying "your position is belief, mine is pure rationality", or "infants and children are atheists; theism has to be indoctrinated". Such idiocy is seen promoted on this thread repeatedly.
The ruse is so transparent we can trace its genesis, and it doesn't go back that far.
Atheism - a simple disbelief in religion and religious liars like you buck!:)

Fennario

#196968 Dec 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/28/ us/10-things-colorado-recreati onal-marijuana/index.html?hpt= hp_t1 Soon. But $200 an ounce?
You're paying too much.

In Mexico, pot goes for about 800 pesos a half kilo for the high quality stuff - about $3.50 an ounce - or so I'm told.

Jon Stewart on Yom Kippur: "Yom Kippur. Greatest Jewish holiday ever. The Jewish day of atonement. You don’t eat for one day, all your sins for the year are wiped clean. Beat that with your little “Lent.” What is Lent? Forty days of absolution. Forty days to one day. Even in sin you’re paying retail."

Westcliffe, CO

#196969 Dec 29, 2013

Fennario

#196970 Dec 29, 2013
<quoted text>
You're paying too much.
In Mexico, pot goes for about 800 pesos a half kilo for the high quality stuff - about $3.50 an ounce - or so I'm told.
Jon Stewart on Yom Kippur: "Yom Kippur. Greatest Jewish holiday ever. The Jewish day of atonement. You don’t eat for one day, all your sins for the year are wiped clean. Beat that with your little “Lent.” What is Lent? Forty days of absolution. Forty days to one day. Even in sin you’re paying retail."
This is incorrect. I still have trouble with metric. It's 800 pesos for a quarter kilo - about a half pound. That makes the price about $7 an ounce.

I'm worse with centigrade temperatures.

Westcliffe, CO

#196972 Dec 29, 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25302...

The power of Hollywood to mass produce mindless liberals.

Fennario

#196973 Dec 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Your whining is unbecoming. Grab those bootstraps with both hands. Sexually speaking, of course.
That sounds eerily familiar. Maybe I'm channeling you. Platonically speaking, of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 4 min ChristineM 462
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 min ChristineM 3,828
A Universe from Nothing? 30 min u196533dm 450
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 39 min ChristineM 10,046
News New Jersey woman will get to use '8THEIST' lice... 58 min Eagle 12 2
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Into The Night 749
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr UR Failing 43,126
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Eagle 12 18,481
News Why I quit atheism 2 hr Thinking 694
More from around the web