Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

London, UK

#196684 Dec 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Maybe my memory is fading, Even in school.
Must be that car crash where you thought a god was talking to you.
Jim

London, UK

#196685 Dec 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Phil was fired, that’s called retaliation and oppression.
What does hate solve? Nothing, it solves nothing.
My Father was an Atheist. We didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of issues. But even though he believed different than I did. I loved him dearly.
It is possible to love or respect people that you disagree with. I don’t hate you sweetheart. I know you want me to hate you but I just don’t have any desire to hate you.
Listen to your Father! Your REAL one!
Jim

London, UK

#196686 Dec 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Father was an Atheist. We didn’t see eye to eye on a lot of issues. But even though he believed different than I did. I loved him dearly.
Tell then Eagle, Your father is Atheist. Do you agree with Buck Crick calling your Father a Communist / Stalinist?

Will you defend your faither or your faith?
Jim

London, UK

#196687 Dec 28, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That's called business.
You know, like when I was working in a Gentlemen's Club as an exotic dancer. Well, one week I thought I had found religion so I told my boss that I would still work for him but I'll be dancing in a Burqa. That didn't go over so well.
<quoted text>
I agree.
<quoted text>
My Father is a Christian. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of issues but even though he believes in a god that doesn't exist, I love him dearly.
<quoted text>
Why would I want you to hate me?
You don't respect me. You agreed with the Duck dude who said I'm the same as a terrorist or somebody who has sex with animals. You agree with the Duck dude who said that black people were happy living segregated from the "normal" people. You're a bigot, Eagle and there's no way to spin that.
When ignorant predjuced people wonder why the world doesn't believe what they do, they turn to religion, which gives them an excuse to be hateful and makes them feel validated.

Now religious, the previously ignorant and prejudiced person believes he has a 'god given right' to be as hateful and judgemental as possible.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196688 Dec 28, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
ROFLMAO Leprechauns make shoes ?.
Buck Crick wrote:
Yes. This is their sole occupation..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I guess they didn't teach him that in all his 387 years of college....
I think it was a pun.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#196689 Dec 28, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Neocon creationist propogandists haven't realised:

1. 2005 was 8 years ago
2. Palin lost the election
3. Discovery institute FAILED to get creationism into schools.

Its been a bad decade for american creationism. Made worse by its advocates outspoken nature.
lol

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#196690 Dec 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think it was a pun.
I think Buck's comment was tongue in cheek.

We should make him pull himself up by his bootstraps and toe the line before we string him up.

Crap, I just went all Tide while posting as River Tam.

I'm a terrible sock.

Fennario

#196691 Dec 28, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Buck Crick wrote:
Sadly for some, I think your analysis is right on. I once took census numbers of world-wide deaths per year, and calculated (by some metric of persentage of Christians world-wide) to come up with how many souls per year are tossed into Hell. No wonder it's so hot there. An interesting aspect to this - if true - is that God created this race of man knowing the majority would be tortured forever with no hope of rescue. And placed them in a world where the tools of their demise are intensely pleasurable and readily available.

Would you do that to people? I wouldn't. We are expected to be better than God.
No, I wouldn't do that to people. Nor would I build a hell and keep people conscious just to suffer for no reason - certainly not because they failed to love me on bad evidence when I didn't even bother to manifest to them. Anybody that agrees with me is more moral than that god.

If that god exists, it is narcissistic in the extreme. Here's Riverside Redneck's recent observation again:

"Probably because if God showed up on Oprah or stopped Sandy or something, the choice to love Him would not be there. Everyone would love Him if He provided miracles all the time. I'm sure God could force us to love Him, but I'm confident that's not what He wants."

Imagine this god refusing to do something that would lead to everybody loving it and being saved, but preferring a different course of action instead in the service of its ego, one that it knew would result in more gratuitous suffering than one can imagine, then calling that love.

As I said, it seems to me that if we live in a universe ruled by such a creature, we are all in a very bad way. Why did so many angels that knew this god and knew its heaven directly choose to rebel and be exiled?
Buck Crick wrote:
Did you ever see this rip on the Catholic Church by Hitchens? It's only 11 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rk5_Uxe5bZYXX
No, I hadn't seen it, but I have now. Thanks. What an appalling litany of crimes. Imagine being called a bigot for objecting to that.

Fennario

#196692 Dec 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
(1) All known evidence indicates that matter is incapable of creating itself. The first law of thermodynamics states that “matter” is neither being created nor destroyed; it only changes from one form to another. There is not a shred of evidence that any material object has ever created itself.
(2) All evidence suggests that matter is not eternal. The second law of thermodynamics states that as matter undergoes transformation, there is a negative effect, a running-down process. This implies a commencement point (just as a wound-up clock implies a starting time). Since matter is incapable of creating itself (and yet it exists), and since it had a commencement point, logic suggests it had a non-material cause.
(3) All evidence indicates that inorganic matter is incapable of generating life. But since life exists, a reasonable deduction is: there must be an explanation for life that is extraneous to, and independent of, the material.
(4) All evidence indicates that no strictly material object has moral sensitivity, i.e., a conviction of right versus wrong. In view of this, it is a reasonable conclusion that mankind’s moral sensitivity is to be found in a moral source beyond the material.
(5) All evidence indicates that objects characterized by design have been produced by an intelligent designer. The universe, earth’s environment, molecules, cells, biological organisms, etc., reflect design. They thus point to an intelligent Designer.
Nonsense.

(2) and (4) are just plain wrong, Energy (called matter here) does appear to be eternal, and human beings are evidence of material objects with moral sentiments.

(3) is not a sufficient argument against abiogenesis, which we don't expect to witness, and for which evidence is beginning to accumulate.

And (5) begs the question of whether reality was designed by calling its patterns designs and concluding that that implies a designer.

These arguments are generated principally for the benefit of the faithful and the very young experiencing some cognitive dissonance after reading science. When you present them to mature minds educated in the sciences that can critically evaluate them, they are pretty uniformly rejected.

Fennario

#196693 Dec 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
A bunch of pussies.
Forget it, Dave. Christmas is over.

This could be the worst name ever: Anurag Dikshit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anurag_Dikshit

Fennario

#196694 Dec 28, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Oh, so now life is a shit sandwich?
Not at all.

Fennario

#196695 Dec 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What I meant by you are bigoted was this type of post: "the Christians tend to not trust the non-Christians"
Shame on me. What a flaming bigot I must be.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You condemn us for not trusting you
Where did I do that? I merely commented that it was the case that you have been conditioned to distrust us, and that people like me are no longer heard by people like you, which puts people like me at risk.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
while ignoring the same thing you do to us.
I do? I indicate that I don't trust the faithful repeatedly. I just did again when I noted that you put us at risk.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your bias is based on your double standards and non fairness. Do you think the non-Christians tend to not trust the Christians? I know you'd answer yes. Why didn't you include that? I think because you want to denigrate Christians and praise humanists and atheists.
I've said it repeatedly: you don't understand me at all.

Fennario

#196696 Dec 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RE the 32 males, why is that not credible? If your family were meticulous record keepers, you could trace back 32 generations and record it through the men only. I don't understand why you'd say it isn't credible.
Like I said, you don't seem to be able to understand me. I made my case as clearly as I could. If you didn't get it then, you won't get it now.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I pretty much skipped past your Bush rant because I already told you that my vote for Bush was not based on his religion, then you ignore what I said and pretend that all Christians voted for him because he's a Christian and only because he's a Christian. I disagree with you.
I didn't say that either. I hope you don't mind if I don't repeat everything a half dozen times to have a 30% chance of reaching you. I'd like to be able to share ideas with you, but not at that cost.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There are undoubtedly people out there that only voted for him for that, but to say what you said is just your bigotry.
You have no idea what I said.

Fennario

#196697 Dec 28, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Notwithstanding my difficulty articulating answers proficiently, Its a well known metaphor in the church. My little gideons bible is a switchblade. There are scripture that alludes to this, one particularly forboding reference is.....And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. If a person should anti process the word of God or come to a conclusion that its untrue or unacceptable the end result will not be pretty, unfortunately. Another is...Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
That all sounds quite violent and foreboding to me. Word choice matters:
Bongo wrote:
We know that Jesus eschewed violence and the sermon on the mount which you loathe, expressed much submission to aggressors. He rebuked Peter and healed the romans ear. THe sword or to say the word, is seen in action, being vehemently argued and analyzed and all manor of response till this day.
Isn't Jesus expected to return in a violent apocalypse?

Fennario

#196698 Dec 28, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Think about it.........For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Elaine Benes: Let's just replace "hail of shrapnel" and "scar tissue" with "string of
pearls" and "raspberry scones".

Fennario

#196699 Dec 28, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You might like this too. "Whether you are looking for a symbol of strength or a symbol of balance it should be clear the sword encapsulates a myriad of meanings from which to choose. Invest the time to meditate upon the philosophical depths of the sword - discover your own personal meanings of this object."
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/sword-symbolis...
This is what I was criticizing about the use of metaphor in what should be the most important words ever written. Doesn't the fate of souls depend on their meaning being clear?

Fennario

#196700 Dec 28, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Hes hiding his face until the appointed time, on his terms not ours.
Yeah, I get that. I don't think much of it.
Bongo wrote:
The earth and all that is therein is considered as nothing.
See above.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#196701 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>
That all sounds quite violent and foreboding to me. Word choice matters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZEkvortlXmcXX
<quoted text>
Isn't Jesus expected to return in a violent apocalypse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#196702 Dec 28, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
. I trust them both. Implicitly ..
Thanks.

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#196703 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Elaine Benes: Let's just replace "hail of shrapnel" and "scar tissue" with "string of
pearls" and "raspberry scones".
Is that a metaphor?

When my doctor first said he was prescribing me Paradoxidil, I was beside myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Aura Mytha 32,425
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Science 78,466
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 11 hr Eagle 12 - 1,310
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web