Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196571 Dec 27, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You should not mix straw men and red herrings.

It give your fallacies a nonsensical tone.

Hope this is helpful. Moron.
My opinion you mean? Cool, thanks but I will anyway.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196572 Dec 27, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>A bit defensive but are not most trolls for atheism :-)

Hitler's Table Talk

(German: Tischgespräche) is the title given to a series of World War II conversations and monologues delivered by Adolf Hitler, which were transcribed from 1941 to 1944. Hitler's remarks were recorded by Heinrich Heim, Henry Picker, and Martin Bormann, and later published by different editors, under different titles, in three different languages.[1][2][3]

Martin Bormann, who was serving as Hitler's private secretary, persuaded Hitler to allow a team of specially picked officers to record in shorthand his private conversations for posterity. The first notes were taken by the lawyer Heinrich Heim, starting from 5 July 1941 to mid March 1942.[4] Taking his place, Henry Picker took notes from 21 March 1942 until 2 August 1942,[5] after which Heinrich Heim and Martin Bormann continued appending material off and on until 1944.

The talks were recorded at the Führerhauptquartier (Führer Headquarters)[4] in the company of Hitler's inner circle. The talks not only dwell on war and foreign affairs, but also Hitler's characteristic attitudes on religion, culture, philosophy, personal aspirations, and his feelings towards his enemies and friends.[3][6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler%27s_Table...
Laughter is defensive? Thanks for letting me know :)

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196573 Dec 27, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>I don't understand how you formed that opinion when everyone Jesus forgave in those days was also told forthwith, go and sin no more. How many people do you really think can sin no more? Being kind is a fruit of the spirit.
Then you too are screwed.

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#196574 Dec 27, 2013
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Palos...

A 19 yr old suicidal man drives over a cliff 30 stories high into the rocks and ocean. And lives. So far.

At least an unusual event, eh?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196575 Dec 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. This is really a great thread. It has a relatively civil mood and a lot of interesting and witty posters.
I agree. I like it a lot. I'm staying.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#196576 Dec 27, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have never offended me, Eagle.
Trouble thyself none at all.
[tipping hat]

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196577 Dec 27, 2013
<quoted text>Why do you think so? In what way is that word like a sword?

Does anybody else know this besides you? Why should I or anybody else agree with you?
The book is the word.

The sword is the word.

Bats are birds.

So the word is....
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196578 Dec 27, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you too are screwed.
Good thing Jesus is my Lord and savoir , eh Juci
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196579 Dec 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I would agree that if the Christian god actually exists, we have all been born into a horrible universe - one of the worst that we could imagine - and that.we are all in deep trouble. Did I ever share that argument with you? Please tell me what you think of this:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Oh, so now life is a shit sandwich?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196581 Dec 27, 2013
As for bigoted, I gave arguments for each of these three opinions. Not a single one of your responses - all from the same page, no less - is a defense of the points I made in my posts, the first being that a genealogy of 32 consecutive men is not credible, the second being that the god of the Christian bible sanctions thought crimes, and the last being that it was the Christians that chose Bush despite his fascistic tendencies while the rest of us rejected him by a large margin. All you offered in return was this series of empty responses..
I make my judgments based on thoughtful consideration of the evidence. They all point to the same conclusion about the validity of your beliefs and their consequences. If all you have to offer in their defense is what we see here, then you have no defense, just faith.
What I meant by you are bigoted was this type of post:

"the Christians tend to not trust the non-Christians"

You condemn us for not trusting you while ignoring the same thing you do to us. Your bias is based on your double standards and non fairness. Do you think the non-Christians tend to not trust the Christians? I know you'd answer yes. Why didn't you include that? I think because you want to denigrate Christians and praise humanists and atheists.

RE the 32 males, why is that not credible? If your family were meticulous record keepers, you could trace back 32 generations and record it through the men only. I don't understand why you'd say it isn't credible.

I pretty much skipped past your Bush rant because I already told you that my vote for Bush was not based on his religion, then you ignore what I said and pretend that all Christians voted for him because he's a Christian and only because he's a Christian. I disagree with you. There are undoubtedly people out there that only voted for him for that, but to say what you said is just your bigotry.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196582 Dec 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you think so? In what way is that word like a sword?
Does anybody else know this besides you? Why should I or anybody else agree with you?
Notwithstanding my difficulty articulating answers proficiently, Its a well known metaphor in the church. My little gideons bible is a switchblade. There are scripture that alludes to this, one particularly forboding reference is.....And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. If a person should anti process the word of God or come to a conclusion that its untrue or unacceptable the end result will not be pretty, unfortunately. Another is...Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. We know that Jesus eschewed violence and the sermon on the mount which you loathe, expressed much submission to aggressors. He rebuked Peter and healed the romans ear. THe sword or to say the word, is seen in action, being vehemently argued and analyzed and all manor of response till this day.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196583 Dec 27, 2013
<quoted text>
How is it possible to have proceeded this far along with the atheist handbook schtick without a single mention of Saul Alinski?
schtick,? its a fairly easily observable and predictable set of responses. This guys has tactics. He probably taught jesse Jackson everything he knows.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196584 Dec 27, 2013
Think about it.........For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#196585 Dec 27, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
The book is the word.
The sword is the word.
Bats are birds.
So the word is....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196586 Dec 27, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Notwithstanding my difficulty articulating answers proficiently, Its a well known metaphor in the church. My little gideons bible is a switchblade. There are scripture that alludes to this, one particularly forboding reference is.....And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. If a person should anti process the word of God or come to a conclusion that its untrue or unacceptable the end result will not be pretty, unfortunately. Another is...Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. We know that Jesus eschewed violence and the sermon on the mount which you loathe, expressed much submission to aggressors. He rebuked Peter and healed the romans ear. THe sword or to say the word, is seen in action, being vehemently argued and analyzed and all manor of response till this day.
Interesting.

You might like this too.

"Whether you are looking for a symbol of strength or a symbol of balance it should be clear the sword encapsulates a myriad of meanings from which to choose. Invest the time to meditate upon the philosophical depths of the sword - discover your own personal meanings of this object."

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/sword-symbolis...

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#196587 Dec 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are impossible to reason with.
You sure you're not a fundie?
Congratulations.

You did it.

You managed to drag me to your idiot level, and you have defeated me with your ample experience.

Again, my congratulations.

Now go hit your wife.

Maybe then you'll have a valid point: Her nose will be broke.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196588 Dec 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Congratulations.
You did it.
You managed to drag me to your idiot level, and you have defeated me with your ample experience.
Now go hit your wife.
You are advocating and suggesting violence.

You're a creep.

Wanna hang out?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196589 Dec 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Why do you suppose that in every instance where he has a choice, your god chooses to emulate a nonexistent god? That is, whenever he has a chance to show that he exists by doing something that wouldn't happen were there no god, he elects to do what would happen were there no god. Besides letting his church fragment and decay, he hides from us. leaving no evidence of his presence even where we might expect to find it.
He lets us exert free will. He lets us blaspheme him. He fails to perform miracles when they are being looked for in controlled studies.He writes a bible full of errors. He allowed somebody to fill the earth with fossils consistent with a naturalistic history of life on earth.
In instance after instance, this god that so desperately wants to be know, loved, obeyed, and worshiped takes the path that makes him indistinguishable from nothingness.
Why do you suppose that is?
Our earth time is only around 25 thousand days, you make conclusions without the eternity factor. Hes hiding his face until the appointed time, on his terms not ours. Hes not so desperate as you think . The earth and all that is therein is considered as nothing. The planet and all of us are like a writer throwing a sheet of paper in the trash. Gold is refined by fire. Gold is a rare element. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Your calculations of those who are banished may well be true. Alas we are a puff of smoke.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#196590 Dec 27, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Notwithstanding my difficulty articulating answers proficiently, Its a well known metaphor in the church. My little gideons bible is a switchblade. There are scripture that alludes to this, one particularly forboding reference is.....And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. If a person should anti process the word of God or come to a conclusion that its untrue or unacceptable the end result will not be pretty, unfortunately. Another is...Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. We know that Jesus eschewed violence and the sermon on the mount which you loathe, expressed much submission to aggressors. He rebuked Peter and healed the romans ear. THe sword or to say the word, is seen in action, being vehemently argued and analyzed and all manor of response till this day.
True. Case in point: A guy that happens to be on tv spoke the word of God and many people are coming unglued. The cable network that carries the show suspended him, a major restaurant chain that sold merchandise associated with the show pulled it than reinstated it and many news stories have carried this. Why? Because he spoke that word of God that the word to this day is in strong opposition to. Nothing new under the sun.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#196591 Dec 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations.
You did it.
Now go hit your wife.
Sill full of crap I see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min Into The Night 61,531
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Subduction Zone 2,709
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 hr Aura Mytha 28,325
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Mar 24 IB DaMann 5,970
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) Mar 18 Eagle 12 2,043
More from around the web