Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256579 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#196291 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
...just as much as you hated Judaism.
<quoted text>
OOPS! Holy crap, I'm sorry, that should've said: "just as much as he hated Judaism." he, as in Hitler.
<quoted text>
Are you Gnostic now?
No. I think there's something to be said for the lifelong quest for revealed knowledge, but no, don't draw any conclusions from the nickname. I copped it from the company that did the Pink Floyd album covers, liked the sound of it, is all. I don't know nothin' from archerons or demiurges.

But enough about me. How about you? Been Christian all your life? Have you read, I mean really read your Bible? If so, you'll surely agree that one of the most egregious things about believers and nons alike is how much out there is just parroted talking points, without true study and.perspective in context. I've got a grudging respect for those that have put in the work and still maintain their faith. Just didn't work for me.

As Jessica Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

“The future begins”

every moment

#196292 Dec 26, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And ol' Buckaroo is still confusing evolution, social Darwinism and eugenics.
No idea why - he's still arguing with the OED 'cos he doesn't like the definition...
There it is. Bet he never even heard of Spencer....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196293 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No. I think there's something to be said for the lifelong quest for revealed knowledge, but no, don't draw any conclusions from the nickname. I copped it from the company that did the Pink Floyd album covers, liked the sound of it, is all. I don't know nothin' from archerons or demiurges.
I don't understand that reference, but ok.
But enough about me. How about you? Been Christian all your life? Have you read, I mean really read your Bible? If so, you'll surely agree that one of the most egregious things about believers and nons alike is how much out there is just parroted talking points, without true study and.perspective in context. I've got a grudging respect for those that have put in the work and still maintain their faith. Just didn't work for me.
As Jessica Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."
I've been a Christian since I was 5 but I really got into the faith at 15. I almost lost my faith and might've become an atheist had God not worked with me. He restored my faith fully and I haven't looked back since.

I've read the Bible several times, but that really says nothing. I've studied it for many years, there are things in it I haven't studied in detail, like about half of the OT and Revelations. I gotta dig into those more.

I'm not what you'd call a typical God fearing, church going Christian. Stick around, you'll see.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#196294 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we have to do this again, Dagwood's Brain Child?
The Hitler-Darwin link is inescapable, you little Poof.
From Mein Kampf:
“existence is subject to the law of eternal struggle and strife….where the strong are always the masters of the weak and where those subject to such laws must obey them or be destroyed.”
Darwinism. In Mein Kampf.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah....
No. That's not natural selection, Darwin's theory.

That's social Darwinism.

A whole 'nother thing, Buckaroo.

Read up on it and get back to me.

Or maybe you know and you're playing games.

If that's the case, just forget it.

“The future begins”

every moment

#196295 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be beyond my help.
The crosses are at Normandy. Do you have any idea who the allies were fighting at Normandy?
Yes, other Christians, majority German Lutheran. That's why your posit was so silly.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Hitler killed Jews and Christians because of his hate for their religion, his racism toward the Jews, and he justified it with the science of Darwin.

None of it had anything to do with Martin Luther. If Luther had been with one of the Catholics Hitler's men killed, he would have killed him too.
But he didn't kill them for being Catholic. That's the hump you can't get over. He killed them - some of them in the priesthood, not rank and file - for openly opposing his policies. The rest got in line, shnell, and made it through the Hitler years, if they survived the bombings.

But Luther wouldn't have been a Catholic, would he?(The name "Luther" is a clue.) It tickles me how obtuse you can be about your muddled "facts".
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You don't seem capable of grasping that. So if anyone asks, you should just repeat to them what I said above.
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but no one's entitled to their own facts."

Obviously you "buck" that axiom.

Your m.o. is to ignore specific points and questions, and lob back more History On The Fly. Not original at all, topix is rife with like-minded souls.

Then you top it off with logical fallacy, conflating natural selection with social Darwinism, which had little to do with Darwin, except Spencer taking his name.

You do understand what "natural selection" means, right? Does that give you pause at all? A little bit? No?

Redondo Beach, CA

#196296 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said Stalin represents all of atheism.
Fred Phelps only represents himself and his church.
Fred Phelps and his church are not all of Christianity.
In fact, most Christians would like to see him at the end of a noose.
So that's the Christian way, eh?

Redondo Beach, CA

#196297 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in jail with a little buddhist guy who said his name was Sun Moon.
Not kidding.
He was a weird little shit.
I ate his Jello.
First decent thing you've said in the last seven thread hours.

I tip my hat.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196298 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Lol Actually, yes. Sorry
No problema

Fennario

#196299 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Traced to Luther? What are you talking about?
MARTIN LUTHER (Father of Protestant Christianity) ON THE JEWS

[1] "The Jews deserve to be hanged on gallows, seven times higher than ordinary thieves"

[2] "We ought to take revenge on the Jews and kill them."

[3] "The blind Jews are truly stupid fools"

[4] "Now just behold these miserable, blind, and senseless people."

[5] "eject them forever from this country"

[6] "they are nothing but thieves and robbers"

[7] "What then shall we do with this damned, rejected race of Jews?"

[8] "Such a desperate, thoroughly evil, poisonous, and devilish lot are these Jews"

[9] "They are the real liars and bloodhounds"

[10] "We are at fault for not slaying them."

[11] "I shall give you my sincere advice: first to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them."

[12] "Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed."

[13] "Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews."

[14] "Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them"

[15] "If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs"

[16] "If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the river Elbe, hang a stone around his neck and push him over with the words `I baptize thee in the name of Abraham'."

Redondo Beach, CA

#196300 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I am financially secure.
Maybe that means having tons of money sitting in the bank to you. It doesn't mean that to me.
You are the one who doesn't understand and who doesn't want to understand.
You are the simpleton here, Catch.
<quoted text>
I told you that you're the simpleton here...
I did explain it.
You explained nothing.

You said you are broke, and you said you are financially secure.

You are a fraud.

If you insist, I'll say more.

“The future begins”

every moment

#196301 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand that reference, but ok.
They are gnostic entities.

I've been a Christian since I was 5 but I really got into the faith at 15. I almost lost my faith and might've become an atheist had God not worked with me. He restored my faith fully and I haven't looked back since.
I've read the Bible several times, but that really says nothing. I've studied it for many years, there are things in it I haven't studied in detail, like about half of the OT and Revelations. I gotta dig into those more.
I'm not what you'd call a typical God fearing, church going Christian. Stick around, you'll see.
There ya go, same here. Mama was a red-letter God-fearin' Christian woman, as they say, so there wasn't a time that it wasn't part of daily life. But we were healthy boys too. We raised hell all week, and trembled on Sunday, all the way thru my 20's. But when I turned 30 or so, I had a young family in a new town with a new job. I resolved to take that chance to go all-in with study, prayer, involvement, the works. I felt I had a whole host of absolution needed doin'

I'll admit I skipped fast through the interminable begets (Numbers) and the minute details of the Tabernacle tent.(But in a trivia contest, I can tell how big the panels were, down to the cubit;) But I did read it diligently, purchasing a Study Bible for the endeavor. I also dove into all the histories and apologetics I could find, all with an eye to having a "Closer Walk With Thee". Strobel, McDowell, and Lucado still set on the shelf to my left here, along with a host of others

One of earliest problems was reading Isaiah. I'd learned all the "prophecies" alleged to come from Isaiah, but when I finally read the whole thing in context, man, I couldn't help wondering why the vast majority of one of the largest books was just supposed to be so much Hebraic jibber-jabber. Then every so often, right dead in the middle of a song or speech, Isaiah is supposed to just drop into a trance, mutter a few stanzas of "prophecy" that he didn't even know was there, and then snap out of it and continue rambling on with Judaic flotsam and jetsam that means nothing as far as the prophecy was concerned. Just didn't make sense.

“The future begins”

every moment

#196302 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That's not natural selection, Darwin's theory.
That's social Darwinism.
A whole 'nother thing, Buckaroo.
Read up on it and get back to me.

Or maybe you know and you're playing games.
If that's the case, just forget it.
I'm startin' to wonder the same thing.....

“The future begins”

every moment

#196303 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Find Sun-Tzu or General MacArthur saying that.
Find Darwin saying that

Redondo Beach, CA

#196304 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I'm startin' to wonder the same thing.....
Gotta dodge the snake oil with that Buck.

He's a shifty dude.

Moody, too. Sometimes has humor, sometimes it's almost like a rage. But he can wax philosophical at times.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196305 Dec 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
MARTIN LUTHER (Father of Protestant Christianity) ON THE JEWS
[1] "The Jews deserve to be hanged on gallows, seven times higher than ordinary thieves"
[2] "We ought to take revenge on the Jews and kill them."
[3] "The blind Jews are truly stupid fools"
[4] "Now just behold these miserable, blind, and senseless people."
[5] "eject them forever from this country"
[6] "they are nothing but thieves and robbers"
[7] "What then shall we do with this damned, rejected race of Jews?"
[8] "Such a desperate, thoroughly evil, poisonous, and devilish lot are these Jews"
[9] "They are the real liars and bloodhounds"
[10] "We are at fault for not slaying them."
[11] "I shall give you my sincere advice: first to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them."
[12] "Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed."
[13] "Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews."
[14] "Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them"
[15] "If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs"
[16] "If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the river Elbe, hang a stone around his neck and push him over with the words `I baptize thee in the name of Abraham'."
Martin Luther said some crazy shit.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196306 Dec 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You explained nothing.
You said you are broke, and you said you are financially secure.
You are a fraud.
If you insist, I'll say more.
I said my version of financially secure is undoubtedly different than your version of it.

Simpleton.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196307 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>There ya go, same here. Mama was a red-letter God-fearin' Christian woman, as they say, so there wasn't a time that it wasn't part of daily life. But we were healthy boys too. We raised hell all week, and trembled on Sunday, all the way thru my 20's. But when I turned 30 or so, I had a young family in a new town with a new job. I resolved to take that chance to go all-in with study, prayer, involvement, the works. I felt I had a whole host of absolution needed doin'
I'll admit I skipped fast through the interminable begets (Numbers) and the minute details of the Tabernacle tent.(But in a trivia contest, I can tell how big the panels were, down to the cubit;) But I did read it diligently, purchasing a Study Bible for the endeavor. I also dove into all the histories and apologetics I could find, all with an eye to having a "Closer Walk With Thee". Strobel, McDowell, and Lucado still set on the shelf to my left here, along with a host of others
One of earliest problems was reading Isaiah. I'd learned all the "prophecies" alleged to come from Isaiah, but when I finally read the whole thing in context, man, I couldn't help wondering why the vast majority of one of the largest books was just supposed to be so much Hebraic jibber-jabber. Then every so often, right dead in the middle of a song or speech, Isaiah is supposed to just drop into a trance, mutter a few stanzas of "prophecy" that he didn't even know was there, and then snap out of it and continue rambling on with Judaic flotsam and jetsam that means nothing as far as the prophecy was concerned. Just didn't make sense.
OMG the begats are boring. But when studied, their importance and relevance is revealed. They show the lineage of Jesus as prophesied in Genesis, Isaiah and Jeremiah.

I really didn't learn anything significant in church as a kid. My dad made me go and I resented our church for it, as if it was the church's fault. I really got into it in my 20s, when I started willfully going.

But I had to step away from churches and stick with my faith. In my opinion, too many churches are run by greedy men that insist you pay them as much as you can for attending their two hour sermon. It drove me nuts. The last time I went to church, the preacher was preaching that God gets mad at you if you don't tithe. I walked out halfway through.

To be clear, I walked out of the church, not my faith.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#196308 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I said my version of financially secure is undoubtedly different than your version of it.
Simpleton.
You must get SSDI due to your mental illness.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196309 Dec 26, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You must get SSDI due to your mental illness.
No sir, I've never had state or federal aid.

Fennario

#196310 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If ----- IF ----- he only thought about blowing us up but never did anything, how could you justify murdering him?
With your bible. I agree with you, but were you aware that there are thought crimes in the Christian bible?

[1] "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago,‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment" - Matthew 5:21-22

[2] "You have heard that it was said,‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28

These are sins that could land in you in hell. I don't consider that just, either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 2 min Eagle 12 772
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min Eagle 12 21,209
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min IB DaMann 18,617
A Universe from Nothing? 20 min u196533dm 558
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min IB DaMann 43,340
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 1 hr IB DaMann 467
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr IB DaMann 4,827
More from around the web