Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196255 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you do...
You are programmed to prefer "In Me I Trust" and I'm sure you would be perfectly happy if our national motto changed to that.
And if a politician like Hitler came to America, stood in front of crowds of secular humanists and swore to "Me" that he were remove the Christian influence in America, up to and including changing the national motto by whatever means necessary, you would vote for him.
wow. Why don't atheists and their bifurcated atheist/agnostic bretheren acknowledge that there is a soul and a spirit?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#196256 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I have no idea if Hitler considered himself Christian. I'm told on topix it's a subjective thing, except when I'm told it's not. History, and these forums, are replete with people who claim Christianity, and just as many others who say, "Ah, but not a REAL Christian."
I considered myself a devoted follower of Christ for 45 or so years of my life. For the last 10 years or so, not so much. As you said the other day, topix interaction has been invaluable in helping along in that journey.
But of course, to this day, most will say, "Ah, but you were never a REAL Christian."
Weird how that works.
You are very fortunate to have found me here.

Or anywhere. I was a christian.

And went to prison for 14 years. It was a very structured life.

But there was a lot of time to think. Or fight.

Some days I did both. I am a violent felon with a federal record now.

I guess it's not holding me back that much.

Played for Alabama. roll tide
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196257 Dec 26, 2013
And someone else owns it, their soul and spirit
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196258 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You drive a hard bargain.
Thanks, man

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196259 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The Hitler to Darwin link is obvious and inescapable. If you properly provoke me, I will post a couple of hundred posts proving it. Some on here have seen me do that, and would likely not wish to see it again.
Will you take a credit card?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196260 Dec 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes, Buck.
Social thinkers? If social thinkers borrowed from biology to justify eugenics, you would hang that on Darwin?
Hitler was a social thinker. I don't think he needed much help justifying murder.
1. Neither Darwin nor the theory of evolution teach that humans are not qualitatively different from animals. In fact, adult humans are qualitatively different from minor humans, and males humans are qualitatively different from female ones.
2. Souls are irrelevant. Their absence doesn't justify genocide.
3. Neither does the absence of "objective, fixed morality and thus no objective human rights" support genocide. Secular humanism affirms that optimal moral values are human constructs generated by people of reason and good will, and conclude that genocide is an abomination anyway..
4. Yes, evolution requires variation, but your leap to claiming that that justifies genocide or murder is unsupported.
5. Biology teaches that as individuals, we compete for scarce resources and have differential survival and reproductive success. I'm not sure what you mean by "human races are locked in an ineluctable struggle for existence," but if you're talking about organized struggles to the death between different groups of people such as war and genocide, I disagree with you about that problem being ineluctable.
6. You say that, "Darwinism justified Hitler in overturning the Judeo-Christian view of death as an enemy, construing it instead as a beneficial engine of progress." I have no idea why you say that. How does Christianity make death more of an enemy than secular biological theories that see death as the end of consciousness. Maybe you'd like to read the Christian perspective on death in 1 Corinthians 15:55-57: "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? Thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ," which may be the motivation for the saying, "Kill them all and let God sort them out." Secularist values include protecting life.
==========
It saddens me to read this kind of thing from you, Buck. You shouldn't be thinking like this. It's your religious upbringing speaking through you, and yet another reason for me to object to anybody at all being exposed to such teaching. In my experience, nobody but faith based thinkers defending a theological doctrine against the implications of science write or speak like this.
Humans means humans as a species, not as individuals.

And I didn't say any of that justifies genocide, just that Hitler used it to do so.

Darwin's racism and Haeckel's hatred of Jews didn't help.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#196261 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in jail with a little buddhist guy who said his name was Sun Moon.
Not kidding.
He was a weird little shit.
I ate his Jello.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I ate his Jello.
Is that a euphemism?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196262 Dec 26, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Living in a terrarium might be comforting, but if you're going to participate in a public forum, is it too much to expect for you to bring some facts besides "That's nonsense"?
It is what it is, friend. Denying history leads to nothing but repetition of it's mistakes.
Martin Luther was quite possibly the single most influential German on Germanic history and national state of mind. Yes, or no?
Martin Luther was virulently, publicly antisemitic. Yes, or no?
Politicians and writers were quoting Luther's views right into the 20th century. Yes, or no?
Now, how do you propose to divorce the two?
Here's another one for ya - Luther's antisemitism derives directly from the Bible, more specifically from Paul.
Yowza!
<quoted text>Oh come on. Really?
How many crosses can be found in German battlefield cemeteries?
You're just floundering wildly now.........
On this Hitler score, I'm trying to tell both sides that religion had next to nothing to do with it. You're just playing the partisan game.
You might be beyond my help.

The crosses are at Normandy. Do you have any idea who the allies were fighting at Normandy?

Hitler killed Jews and Christians because of his hate for their religion, his racism toward the Jews, and he justified it with the science of Darwin.

None of it had anything to do with Martin Luther. If Luther had been with one of the Catholics Hitler's men killed, he would have killed him too.

You don't seem capable of grasping that. So if anyone asks, you should just repeat to them what I said above.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196263 Dec 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is that a euphemism?
lol, cuntamia

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196264 Dec 26, 2013
How about damning them to an eternity of torture for it?
Only those aware are.

The ignorant are not.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196265 Dec 26, 2013
Why does Topix bother with the "<quoted text>" in a reply? Seems redundant.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196266 Dec 26, 2013
Ugh

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196267 Dec 26, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religion like health is a disease state.
Atheism is a religion like death is a lifestyle.
Atheism is a religion like nonsmoking is a habit.
Atheism is a religion like fasting is a menu entree.
Atheism is a religion like unemployment is a career choice.
Atheism is a religion like nudity is a fashion style.
Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sexual position.
Atheism is a religion like off is a radio station and silence a song playing on it.
Atheism can be a religion like a ripe peach can be a sex toy.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196268 Dec 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> wow. Why don't atheists and their bifurcated atheist/agnostic bretheren acknowledge that there is a soul and a spirit?
Some of them do.

Some atheists believe in spirituality, luck, emotions, dreams, even aliens. All without any evidence.

But they choose not to believe in God.

Imagine that.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196269 Dec 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>

lol, cuntamia
No, lime. With bananas.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196270 Dec 26, 2013
<quoted text>

Will you take a credit card?
Yeah, I know what you're saying.

It would be hard to make it as scintillating as it was the first time.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196271 Dec 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>

lol, cuntamia
No. It was lime-flavored. With bananas.

It seems like I already said this.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#196272 Dec 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

Is that a euphemism?
No, it's where I got hit in the face.
Jim

London, UK

#196273 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"Descent of Man", Charles Darwin.
He was a flaming racist.
"Hiding from You" used to spend 4000 words explaining to me how that is not racist.
It was a hoot.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion.

Evolution is a fact.

Creationism is a religious cult that aims to redefine both of these facts, on order to get you to believe that the earth is 3000 years old and a dead zombie loves you.
Jim

London, UK

#196274 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of them do.
Some atheists believe in spirituality, luck, emotions, dreams, even aliens. All without any evidence.
But they choose not to believe in God.
Imagine that.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in god. Its not a choice to disbelieve.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 8 min u196533dm 174
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 80,087
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
what science will NEVER be able to prove 21 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 21 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web