Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255574 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#196066 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing I could attempt to say could better encapsulate the stupidity of atheists on this thread.
Of course not Bucky duck but you display your stupidity beautifully.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196067 Dec 26, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Cool! A melting pot in the image of the (former) American ideal.
I really do enjoy knowing so many citizens of the world, most of which have never lived in the States. Speaking English and being foreigners living in Mexico is our common bond.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
. How far we Americans have fallen, in the past 40 years ... sad.
Yes, it's the saddest thing in my life.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196068 Dec 26, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not Bucky duck but you display your stupidity beautifully.
Hey Juici , you display that big wart on your nose beautifully. I would like to thank all of you atheists and the bifurcated atheist /agnostics for all the data shown in this forum. It has served to strengthen my faith in Jesus and further prove he is Lord, "Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. All the yammering and dissent can never change the truth and the future that has been written about. Jesus is Lord. Merry Chistmas to all.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196069 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion and religious liars like yourself buck..
No its not, fangle tooth. Read you dictionary.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#196070 Dec 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
Yes, it's the saddest thing in my life.
This is confusing. Havent you been among the few who can create their own environment? In the last 40 year there have been many improvements.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#196071 Dec 26, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
So his own description of himself as a "devout catholic", in his many biographies and memoirs, combined with his intimate involvement with the religion as well as his friendship with the pope, was all "lip service"?
Yes.

He was a master politician in a Christian populated country.

The proof is not in his public speeches or public persona, it's in his private thoughts and plans.
So then, even though you write that you're a christian, you're really not a christian? Is that "lip service" as well?
I have nothing to gain by lying.

Hitler had everything to gain.
You better know your stuff on Hitler redneck, unless you're content with being a rodeo clown and with making a mockery out of yourself *shrugs*.
"I think god is dead."
"Ah, the mark of a true catholic."
- Dogma
I know my stuff.

You don't.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196072 Dec 26, 2013
Toby wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin never committed any of his purges in the name of Atheism, try to be just a bit honest. He also didn't have Catholic parents. Hilarious, BTW, Jesus's other personality referred to as the Father commanded death to unbelievers, adulterers, homosexuals, fornicators, etc..
Do you believe perhaps that God suffers from (DID), or do you believe God light (Jesus) was the result of a successful PR campaign to recast the negative characteristics of the Old Testament God? If not, then God must be a situational ethics God to the highest magnitude.
Happy holiday Putz
To which holiday are you referring?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#196073 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
"Early in 1934, three priests and two laypeople were taken out of their special regime Kolyma camp... THEY WERE ASKED TO DENOUNCE THEIR FAITH IN JESUS, and were warned that if they did not do so they would be killed. They then declared their faith, and without any formal charges, they were then taken to a freshly dug grave and four of them were shot, while one was spared and instructed to bury the others".
<emphasis added> - Dimitry V. Pospielovsky. A History of Soviet Atheism in Theory, and Practice, and the Believer, vol 2: Soviet Antireligious Campaigns and Persecutions, St Martin's Press, New York (1988)
This sounds more like a hatred of Christianity than a love of atheism. Stalin had been in seminary studying to become a priest, and before that, he had been a choirboy. He subsequently denounced his faith. This is more than just a love of atheism.

Do you know of any analogous examples of Stalin persecuting Jews, Muslims Hindus or Buddhists for not being atheist?

And once again, I don't see an argument against atheism or for Christianity or any other religion here.
Chris Clearwater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#196074 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was Christian, let us know when you have evidence of god.
Hitler was as much of a Christian as you are. He hated Christ an the people that stand on His never changing word. In his own words he hated the church.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196075 Dec 26, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I tend to agree with you, but I don't know much about what Guevara believed except that he is said to have been a Marxist, and I only know what that means in the broadest terms. I haven't studied such things because I find them off-putting and largely irrelevant to me.
I am aware that something called Marxist humanism exists, but it involves Marxism, which makes it a distinct species from secular humanism. and I don't have much use for Marxism in state politics, so I haven't looked at it to see what it advocates, which may include killing. I also don't know if Guevara was a Marxist humanist.
Secular humanism has nothing to do with Marxism, Soviet Communism. Chinese Communism, Leninism, Maoism or Stalinism. In it's Affirmations, it advocates for democracy, egalitarianism, and personal political freedom.
Guevara was a militant atheist to the extreme. He took his views on egalitarianism and spread them in a vile, selfish way.

I just wanted to see how strong your double standards are.

I think I've got it, in simplistic terms:

Christians kill for Christianity and their god.

Atheists never kill for atheism and thir beliefs, no matter what. Ever. Never. Never ever ever.

No?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#196076 Dec 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So, religion was the cause of anti-religious killing.
That's beautiful. Simply beautiful.
Nothing I could attempt to say could better encapsulate the stupidity of atheists on this thread.
I just realized Jews were the cause of the holocaust. They caused it by being Jews.
You don't have a clue do you? The armed resistance and 20 years of revolution left opposition to the Red Army by the Bolshevik Party and White party remnants was the reason.
However extreme Stalin seemed to be, his paranoia came from a reason.
Unless he eliminated his opposition he would not have control.

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#196077 Dec 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Simply put, I have no reason to have confidence in your judgments or conclusions, Dave. I don't mean to be unkind, but the plain and obvious fact is that those judgments have not served you well. You are probably the only person who has consistently taken Dave's advice, and it has left you in a rather unenviable place. You probably should consider that when giving others advice.
Amusing.

One day this continuum of existence you are enjoying now will end, IANS. It will come to a screeching halt. Your fired up emotions about politics and your place in this world will suddenly become totally irrelevant. As will everything you did here. Unless your head explodes, your physical brain will suffer some angst on the way out realizing what is now your new reality. I experienced that, and I also understand circuitry better than you.

Your "atheism" is politics. It has caused you to be less than rational. Your judgement is very flawed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196078 Dec 26, 2013
Jim wrote:
When an Atheist explains that Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion and religious liars, creationists seem to insert words like Stalin and Mao into what is a very simple concept to understand:
We don't believe you.
Atheism isn't a disbelief in religion.

Atheism is a belief that no deities exist.

Since: Sep 08

La Junta, CO

#196079 Dec 26, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a clue do you? The armed resistance and 20 years of revolution left opposition to the Red Army by the Bolshevik Party and White party remnants was the reason.
However extreme Stalin seemed to be, his paranoia came from a reason.
Unless he eliminated his opposition he would not have control.
Political control kills, not religions.
Jim

London, UK

#196080 Dec 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Juici , you display that big wart on your nose beautifully. I would like to thank all of you atheists and the bifurcated atheist /agnostics for all the data shown in this forum. It has served to strengthen my faith in Jesus and further prove he is Lord, "Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. All the yammering and dissent can never change the truth and the future that has been written about. Jesus is Lord. Merry Chistmas to all.
Religious find disbelief offensive and have to panic-remind themselves that jesus is lord.
Jim

London, UK

#196081 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Guevara was a militant atheist to the extreme. He took his views on egalitarianism and spread them in a vile, selfish way.
I just wanted to see how strong your double standards are.
I think I've got it, in simplistic terms:
Christians kill for Christianity and their god.
Atheists never kill for atheism and thir beliefs, no matter what. Ever. Never. Never ever ever.
No?
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religion and religious liars. Lying about atheism because we don't believe you is just low.
Jim

London, UK

#196082 Dec 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism isn't a disbelief in religion.
Atheism is a belief that no deities exist.
Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.
Jim

London, UK

#196083 Dec 26, 2013
Atheism is a religion like transparent is a colour

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#196084 Dec 26, 2013
Not exactly. Two of them were George Bush and Pat Robertson, two men that have been embraced by millions of Christians each. Their opinions resonate with Christians to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars in contributions to each..
See? More of your double standard.

You openly say that the people that support Bush, Robertson, et al are doing it in the name of Christianity.

But you refuse to admit the supporters of Stalin, Guevara, et al aren't doing it in the name of atheism.

No, no, no. They're doing in it the name of politics, you say.
Jim

London, UK

#196085 Dec 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing.
One day this continuum of existence you are enjoying now will end, IANS. It will come to a screeching halt. Your fired up emotions about politics and your place in this world will suddenly become totally irrelevant. As will everything you did here. Unless your head explodes, your physical brain will suffer some angst on the way out realizing what is now your new reality. I experienced that, and I also understand circuitry better than you.
Your "atheism" is politics. It has caused you to be less than rational. Your judgement is very flawed.
Sad defeated creationist, writes one last bitter essay before he crying himself to sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Richardfs 35,756
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 23 min Patrick 15,037
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 26 min Patrick 4,524
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr thetruth 20,210
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 3,715
News Why I quit atheism 3 hr thetruth 283
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 3 hr thetruth 29
More from around the web