Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256624 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195847 Dec 24, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>What's the takeaway in your quest here? "Come to Christianity - We Kill Less People"?
It's more like, "I hate my own religion so will make up some stuffs". Lol.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195848 Dec 24, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>--The atheist body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead. This is 3 times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century.

--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst year.

--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.

--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
Polly want an invisible cracker?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#195849 Dec 24, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Well, as promised, we are going to have a little history lesson on the death toll created by religion.
Unlike you Atheist who turn a blind eye to all the deaths by Communist Atheist.

I will not deny there have been deaths due to religion.

Now these numbers you are quoting is in question because I doubt anyone could count that high in those days.

Probably when they reported deaths on the battlefield it was like this:

General:“How many died?”

Corporal:“A sh*t load General.”

General:“A whole sh*t load? Or shy of a sh*t load or over a sh*t load?”

Corporal:“It was a sh*t load General. Just a sh*t load.”

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#195850 Dec 24, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Leader Stalin.
Shall I ready the troops?
She'll need a fake moustache for that.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#195851 Dec 24, 2013
Toby wrote:
I find it arrogant too, that many Christians post that (indirectly atheism fueled communism, specifically the Stalin variety of communism), when you have monotheistic religions who's Gods commanded them to kill adulterers,fornicators, homosexuals,witches,nonbelieve rs, etc.. You don't have to scramble to determine the underlying motivations for religious atrocities against humanity as you do with attempting to blame Stalinism by making indirect inferences to Atheism. With monotheistic religions we know the source of cruelty and viciousness, we don't need to look any further than the Bible,or Koran.
The truth is Stalin was raised in a Greek Orthodox Christian home, and was sadistically beaten by his Father, the beatings were so severe he was described as being covered with blood on many occasions, after the father abandoned the Family and let them to survive on their own, is it no wonder that Stalin turned against religion? What Lenin said about religion was that the working class was looking for some reward in heaven, a paradise in the afterlife, instead of fighting for a better place on Earth, while allowing themselves to be exploited by greedy Capitalist. The fact that Capitalist used religion to keep the working class subordinate is no secret to anyone.
Atheism and Communism went together kind of like milk and cookies. Atheism was part of their belief.

Sorry boys you are going to have to do a lot more head scratching to get out of that one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#195852 Dec 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're way over matched here, Eagle.
You don't have a leg to stand on, so to speak.
The Disney thread is still rockin.
Birds often stand on one leg while resting the other.

I think it's you Doll that doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Why do birds often stand on one leg?

You have probably noticed that almost all species of birds will stand on one leg, especially when they are resting. Here's the reason: Bird's legs have a unique system of blood veins in their legs called “rete mirabile”(pronounced ree-tee mee-rah-bi-lay) that minimizes heat loss. Here is how it works: The arteries that transport the warm blood from the heart into the legs lie in direct contact with the veins that return colder blood back to the bird's heart. The warm blood in the arteries therefore warms the cooler blood in the veins. By standing on one leg, and pulling the other leg up against the warmth of its body, a bird can reduce by up to half, the amount of heat lost through its legs. In short, they stand on one leg to warm up a little bit. http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/faqs/nuisance...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#195853 Dec 24, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your business is your vagina?
I would guess you are on public assistance.
Hint: The customer is supposed to pay you, not vice versa.
I'm sure you know the rules.

Next.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195854 Dec 24, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Birds often stand on one leg while resting the other.
I think it's you Doll that doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Why do birds often stand on one leg?
You have probably noticed that almost all species of birds will stand on one leg, especially when they are resting. Here's the reason: Bird's legs have a unique system of blood veins in their legs called “rete mirabile”(pronounced ree-tee mee-rah-bi-lay) that minimizes heat loss. Here is how it works: The arteries that transport the warm blood from the heart into the legs lie in direct contact with the veins that return colder blood back to the bird's heart. The warm blood in the arteries therefore warms the cooler blood in the veins. By standing on one leg, and pulling the other leg up against the warmth of its body, a bird can reduce by up to half, the amount of heat lost through its legs. In short, they stand on one leg to warm up a little bit. http://www.wildgoosechasers.com/faqs/nuisance...
So you understand what I'm saying, right?

Or would you like to tell me why crocodiles piss in the water?

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195855 Dec 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality is abnormal. Has to do with the evolutionary process.
The Romans and other civilizations that were non-Christians also tried to put limits on its influence on the larger population because of health concerns and degradation of the masculine traits that made a society strong and aggressive. This was aimed at the passive homosexual males, the plugees, and not so much the pluggers. Homosexual behavior can be inborn and it can also be culturally induced., especially in societies where it can gain favors with the wealthy and socially powerful. Widespread anal sex among populations without the sanitation and hygiene we have today is a great way to spread diseases. Such is true even in this modern sanitation and hygiene we have today. Especially with so many chemicals in drugs and foods that can affect the natural body chemistry developed by evolution. You are talking public health more than religion.
The Romans weren't so disapproving of the "toga lifters" as U might think. Until they became Xtian, of course.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in...
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Roman_Culture/Ho...
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/truth-abou...

It was only considered unmanly to be on the receiving end, so this was mainly slave boys.

When Xtianity took power, first same-sex marriage was banned in 342. By the end of the 4C, it had become a capital crime.

For that reason, it can never be said that the caused the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, a century later. That's false history.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195856 Dec 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure how much time you've spent with the homeless. Many of them are struggling with mental illness without the family or financial support to help them. Many of them are addicted to one drug or another. Many are teenagers and young adults who escaped abusive situations. They don't need Jesus. They need a society that understands the issue and stops trying to sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195858 Dec 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I am. Just ask Nano.
I'm also an A sexual tranny from Seattle, apparently.
I'm a drag queen, according to that thing. It was the first I'd heard of it.
:D

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195859 Dec 24, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike you Atheist who turn a blind eye to all the deaths by Communist Atheist.

Now these numbers you are quoting is in question because I doubt anyone could count that high in those days.

Hey dude, take it up with your religion.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195860 Dec 24, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>She'll need a fake moustache for that.
Lol, I have a mask..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195861 Dec 24, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I thought atheism was not a belief, but only a rejection of evidence for god? Yet here, you state definitively that god is imaginary. Which is it?
Being atheists doesn't mean that we are not also other things. Some atheists are also gnostic atheists. They claim to know that gods do not exist. Some are also astrologers.Most are secular humanists. Some have even been Stalinists as well as atheists.

With each of these comes beliefs.
Buck Crick wrote:
Your conclusion proves a belief - that belief being god is non-existent.
His conclusion might prove that HE holds that belief,not that all atheists do, nor that that belief is essential to atheism or even present inmost cases.
Buck Crick wrote:
No such definitive knowledge exists, so your conclusion is an extension beyond knowledge. You are, therefore, expressing a belief.
Such a belief constitutes an act of faith as much as claiming that vampires and leprechauns don't actually exist. We can feel in our bones that neither leprechauns, gods, nor vampires exist, but our basis for saying so is just the absence of expected evidence for them, which is only evidence of their absence,not proof.
Buck Crick wrote:
But atheism is not a belief, right?
Right.
Buck Crick wrote:
. I bet the survivors are really glad Stalin didn't have a "belief", huh?
Of course he had beliefs, but they were not called atheism and didn't derive from or depend on his atheism.

As I've said repeatedly, if your only criticism of atheism is actually a criticism of Stalinism, you have no criticism of atheism.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195862 Dec 24, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Qt2mbGP6vFIXX
For Scar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195863 Dec 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Patagonia.
Very cool.
Well, it's summer there too. But a lot further south than us...

Sailors in the old days hated sailing around Cape Horn, because it's so cold and rough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Horn

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#195864 Dec 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Being atheists doesn't mean that we are not also other things. Some atheists are also gnostic atheists. They claim to know that gods do not exist. Some are also astrologers.Most are secular humanists. Some have even been Stalinists as well as atheists.
With each of these comes beliefs.
<quoted text>
His conclusion might prove that HE holds that belief,not that all atheists do, nor that that belief is essential to atheism or even present inmost cases.
<quoted text>
Such a belief constitutes an act of faith as much as claiming that vampires and leprechauns don't actually exist. We can feel in our bones that neither leprechauns, gods, nor vampires exist, but our basis for saying so is just the absence of expected evidence for them, which is only evidence of their absence,not proof.
<quoted text>
Right.
<quoted text>
Of course he had beliefs, but they were not called atheism and didn't derive from or depend on his atheism.
As I've said repeatedly, if your only criticism of atheism is actually a criticism of Stalinism, you have no criticism of atheism.
"The atheist position is not that the answer is no. It is that there is no reason to ask the question." - fukrot

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195866 Dec 24, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You just can't face the truth. He was not an atheist.
LOL @ that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#195867 Dec 24, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike you Atheist who turn a blind eye to all the deaths by Communist Atheist.
You missed your calling as a cheesy, metaphor laden and poorly written fiction author.

It's just too bad the bible isn't accepting any additional books.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#195868 Dec 24, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
It influence's everyone's lives, hey thanks!
Happy hols Rosa :)
Merry Yuletide.
:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min Thinking 18,684
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Chazofsaints 3,847
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Thinking 720
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Aura Mytha 43,374
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 4 hr thetruth 785
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) 5 hr thetruth 354
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 8 hr thetruth 4,833
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 8 hr thetruth 21,236
A Universe from Nothing? 13 hr Insults Are Easier 602
More from around the web