Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195528 Dec 24, 2013

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#195529 Dec 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Can you understand that people lose and gain religion all the time?

Didn't you used to be a Christian?

I know IANS did. Say he became a murderois dictator, would you call IANS a Christian because he once was? I think you would.
I think religion infects people, that's obvious but I don't expect you to understand anything I say, so I'll leave it there, just call me a liar and be done with it.

Liar = Saying anything a religious person does not like. Regardless of whether it is true.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#195530 Dec 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And there you're right again.
Atheism is about evidence, and you're totally screwed.
Oh really?

What evidence do you have that God don't exist?

And if I'm screwed, the gentleman thing to do would be to but me a drink first.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#195531 Dec 24, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> It was -10 this A.M.. Winds expected to be from the south at 20 to 30 MPH. Snow is on the way. There is a homeless shelter not 3 blocks from where i live run by the area churches and it is full. They are not freezing and starving on the streets. Some are females with children. Tell those homeless Christianity deserves no respect. Perhaps some will agree with you. They are safe none the less. Merry Christmas Theophobe.
That would be a wonderful story if their intentions were altruistic. I don't think that's the case. In exchange for their "protection" the homeless get to hear the beautiful story of Teh God.

Just another case of preying on the vulnerable like Christians have done for ages.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195532 Dec 24, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No problem.
One of the most refreshing and interesting things in the forums is sharing of personal perspective. It's a forensic truism that people listen most closely when issues are brought out of the abstract and down to the personal level with "real-life" anecdotes and references.
But I also cringe when i see it, because I >know< personal info >will< be crassly used as weapons by the troll-minded.
Good for ya. Perhaps we'll cross swords, and enjoyably so, but in the meantime, Be Well, and
Happy Christmas!
HipG
Nou dank je wel.

Vrolijk kerstfeest.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195533 Dec 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I stand with freedom and free will.
Do know how your god feels about those? He doesn't seem too keen on people exercising either. He seems to prefer issuing commandments and demanding submission under penalty of eternal torture more.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195534 Dec 24, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Fat lot of consolation that is to the dead....
He wasn't saying it to the dead.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195535 Dec 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Done run out of whatever generic Halperedol, didn't you?
Yo no hablo el pharmaceutical-o...

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195536 Dec 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Uganda has a special place in the hearts of Evangelical Christians, members of your tribe ..
.. the 'kill the gays' bill failed because of the international community. Has the Christian Community condemned life imprisonment of homosexuals in Uganda? If so, which tribe ??..
The Bendova tribe.

Hope this is helpful, HL.

Location hidden

#195537 Dec 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. It's very helpful to share research. It's not like any of us wants to actually read the bible looking for these examples.

Here's a gift in return for your files:

"Militant Christians take their faith to extremes - Two recent cases of aggressive behavior by South Korean Christians show intolerance for different views"
http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_...

Army of God (United States)- a Christian terrorist anti-abortion organization that sanctions the use of force to combat abortion in the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God_ (USA)

"US 'Christian militants' charged after FBI raids - Nine alleged members of a radical US Christian militia group have been charged with conspiring to kill police officers and wage war against the US."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8593975.s...

==========

And here, in this time of year when we remember the coming into the world of the Prince of Peace, allow me to share some tidings of peace on earth and good will toward men from assorted Christians:

My answer is bring ‘em on.
-George W. Bush, challenging militants attacking U.S. forces in Iraq, July 3, 2003

I know there are some Christians who believe that war and their participation in it are morally wrong. While I respect their views and must allow them to follow their consciences, I do not believe the Bible teaches pacifism.
-Pat Robertson

The inability or unwillingness to hate makes a person worthless. If we do not hate detestable things, the quality of our character is suspect. The Bible commands that we hate.
-H. A.(Buster) Dobbs, Editor of Firm Foundation magazine and Church of Christ preacher, from the June 1994 issue.

The strategy against the American radical left should be the same as General Douglas MacArthur employed against the Japanese in the Pacific ... blast the individuals out of their power bunkers with hand-to-hand combat. The battle to regain the soul of America won’t be pleasant, but we will win it."
-Pat Robertson

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism." - Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue. 1993

I can’t help it when what I do inspires somebody to go off the deep end.
-John Burt, anti-abortionist

I want to be invisible ... I paint my face and travel at night. You don’t know it’s over until you’re in a body bag. You don’t know until election night."
-Ralph Reed, Director of the Christian Coalition, from the Virginian Pilot and Ledger Star, 11/9/91.

I imagine every Christian would agree that we need to remove humanism from the public schools. There is only one way to accomplish this: Abolish the public schools.
-The Reverend Robert L. Thoburn
Very nice, thank you.

It's easy enough to find references when you've actually read the bible but yes it is rather unpleasant.

Happy Holidays Teddy!!

Location hidden

#195538 Dec 24, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
This tenet of Stalin's KILLING FOR ATHEISM bears repeating for emphasis:
"If the destruction of ten million human beings, as happened in the last war, should be necessary for the triumph of one definite class, then that must be done and it will be done"
-League of Militant Atheists
"Just shut up. I won't be tricked again."

-League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Dr. Henry Jekyll

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195539 Dec 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the increase in population ??..
The advantage in efficiency of atheist killing is a factor.

It's still killing, and the atheist body count is spectacular.

Location hidden

#195540 Dec 24, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>Christians do not kill, if they do then they are not Christians are they, Benreamed. Satan loves to kill. Any theist who kills for theism is of anti Christ spirit.
It is just as I've suspected! You christians really worship the satan god!
Cheers Drongo :)

Location hidden

#195541 Dec 24, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In my honest opinion, because homosexuality isn't 'normal' and some people that are gay find it embarrassing.
Do me this, answer that same question. I want to hear your take.
< shakes head in sadness >

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195542 Dec 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. when you link embarrassment with abnormal, you convey a mindset ..
I see. Then perhaps it's just my mindset, not fact.
.. repeating old arguments doesn't help you understand homosexuality. Except for humans, homosexuality is 'normal' throughout the animal kingdom. Society, not nature, has labeled such behavior as abnormal and religion is the primary prosecutor ..

I stand corrected. Society, not nature.

I disagree that religion, specifically Christianity, is the prosecutor. I think it's people's irrationality.
.. again: it's not embarrassment, it's fear ..
Maybe it's fear to some.

Maybe it's embarrassment to others.

Thoughts?
.. society is rapidly becoming global, what happens in Africa or the Middle East now the concerns the world ..
I disagree. I don't see any global society.
.. you're joking, right ??..
IN MEMORY OF
Sondra Scarber addressed a parent about her girlfriend's son being bullied at Seabourn Elementary School in Mesquite, Texas, and was beaten by him when he realized that she was a lesbian.(3-1-2013)
Mark Carson, a 32-year old black gay man, was shot to death by another man who trailed and taunted him and a friend as they walked down the street in Greenwich Village, New York.(5-17-2013)
Mollie Olgin, 19 years old, and her girlfriend, Kristene Chapa, 18 years old, were found shot in the head near Violet Andrews Park in Portland, Texas. Olgin died at the scene and Chapa survived.(6-23-2012)
.. want more evidence ??..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_viole...
Oh stop it. Of course there's cases of hate crimes against gays. There's hates crimes against every group out there.

I think that's caused by people's fears of the unknown and perhaps fear of change. Also, intolerance.

Tell me, since homosexuality is as open and accepted in America more now than ever in American history, why are homosexual suicides at an all time high? What's the correlation?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195543 Dec 24, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Catcher lie? Its just cognitive dissonance. Maybe hes just a sordid subverter or is need of more narcissist supply than you can provide a left coast California hedonist.
Maybe he's off to the gym.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#195544 Dec 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Do know how your god feels about those? He doesn't seem too keen on people exercising either. He seems to prefer issuing commandments and demanding submission under penalty of eternal torture more.
Or maybe he's just misunderstood.

I myself have been a victim of such misapprehensions.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195545 Dec 24, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I think religion infects people, that's obvious but I don't expect you to understand anything I say, so I'll leave it there, just call me a liar and be done with it.
Liar = Saying anything a religious person does not like. Regardless of whether it is true.
Infect is a negative connotation. You think religion affects people negatively?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195546 Dec 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Uh-huh....

Let's go round and round, til Judgement Day, about free will.

O_o

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195547 Dec 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
< shakes head in sadness >
I'm working extra hard to make you cry.

It ain't easy.

Damn near impossible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 44 min Into The Night 93,419
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 23 hr blacklagoon 3 89
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Mon superwilly 6,056
News American Atheists terminates its president over... Apr 20 Eagle 12 - 19
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Apr 14 blacklagoon 3 4,141
News The Anti-Christian Movement Apr 10 blacklagoon 3 11
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) Apr 2 blacklagoon 3 35