Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255959 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195258 Dec 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this refer to, and what is the crime? Weren't you discussing atheism as a cause of murder?
<quoted text>
And where is the murder in this?
<quoted text>
Yet, again, how does this establish a link between unbelief and murder?
And if you ever get around to trying to connect atheism with murder or genocide, I will tell you that whatever ism you are invloking - Stalinism, Maoism, etc - it will be much more than atheism per se that you are indicting, which is nothing more than unbelief in gods, and which does not promote or facilitate murder.
What these multiple failed attempts to do that indicate is that you are aware of no link between unbelief and murder. In every case, you are discussing something that is not murder, and involves something that is much, much more than mere unbelief.
==========
Atheism is safe.The West is brimming with atheists, and to my knowledge, there are no violent atheist organizations or individuals leading such organizations promoting violence.
Most of us are secular humanists, and are perfectly safe people - safer than our zealous Christian counterparts, who have been conditioned by an ideology that features genocide (the great flood), torture (crucifixion), and extreme punishment (damnation), and whose history teems with eras of organized torture and murder in the name of the bible god..
First, atheism is not unbelief.

Second, these facts cited establish the link between atheism and Russian genocide.

Hope this is helpful.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#195259 Dec 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
"Jesus, Son of Mary (on whom be peace) said: The World is a Bridge, pass over it, but build no houses upon it. He who hopes for a day, may hope for eternity; but the World endures but an hour. Spend it in prayer, for the rest is unseen.”"
http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/far-from-happy-...
"but build no houses upon it"

That is mental houses. Structured thinking.

Perhaps some of you have changed your mind about something you thought was true when you found out more? You modify your perception?

"Science" does this all of the time. So do religions.

Your physical consciousness is a structure undergoing constant renovation. Yet you have a portion of consciousness that sets back and observes and occasionally tells you what a dummy you are for some things you do based upon that physical mental structure. You can call it an awareness not of this material world.

Keep an open mind as to just what reality really is. You are nowhere near the real thing yet.

When the real wind blows your house built of sand on sand is gonna blow away, with you in it. It is best learning how to live riding the wind. The wind is an unseen force you can't second guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals

A frog can bump its ass when it lands and still survive. It will just get a bit dizzy for a while.

Smile, people. Things can get a lot worse if you are tied to the material earth.

You can wind up like that flower stand.

Merry Christmas.

Westcliffe, CO

#195260 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
A waxing gibbous? Is that a Brazilian?
A waxing gibbon must have a most serious desire to be glamorous. Or be a hardcore masochist.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195261 Dec 23, 2013
Jim wrote:
uninfected citizens will demand why religion requires respect in society.
Have you heard or read Pat Condell on respect for religion?

Here are links to two of his brief videos, with excerpts from each one included

WARNING to Christians: don't read this if you're not up for some intense criticism of religion.

[1]

"If you criticize religion, every so often someone will say to you quite disapprovingly "You may not have faith in God, but you could show a bit more respect for those people who do ... The only fly in the ointment is I don't actually feel any respect."

" Indeed, purely on the evidence religion itself provides in such regular abundance, there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere.

"So, if you are a religious person, and if you're thinking of demanding more respect for your beliefs, please try to bear in mind that you and your religion are already getting way more respect than you’ve have ever deserved."

"Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. How convenient. Yes, faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law.

The word "transcendent" is very popular with religious hustlers because they never have to explain precisely what they mean by it, other than some vague superior state of understanding more profound than mere reason, which is crude and simplistic next to the subtleties and profundities of belief without evidence. If you hear a senior clergyman (and you will) using the word “transcendent" to explain the nonsense he claims to believe, then you know two things: one: he doesn't know what he's talking about, and two: he doesn't want you to know what he's talking about either."

"Faith is ... an abdication from reality. It's a dumb act of self-hypnosis. It's a cowardly cop out.
It's gullibility with a halo. And hiding behind it is like pretending to be an invalid. So I don't really understand exactly what it is that I'm supposed to respect. It seems to me I'd need to be some kind of moral contortionist to respect something that noxious, something that depends for its existence on a closed mind, and that is clearly dragging humanity in the wrong direction, and giving us false ideas about ourselves and about the nature of reality.

[2] http://dotsub.com/view/55cb82e4-34c9-4cfe-9a5...

"Why is faith worthy of so much respect? Would somebody show me the calculations, because I just don't get it."

"The truth is that faith is nothing more than the deliberate suspension of disbelief ... So why is that worthy of respect, any more than your willingness to poke yourself in the eye with a pencil?"

"And why is faith considered some kind of virtue?... Faith, by definition, is unexamined. So in that sense it has to be among the shallowest of experiences. Yet, if it could, it would regulate every action, word and thought of every single person on this planet"

"The truth is your beliefs are infantile, your scriptures are lies, and your gods are illusions. And I can say that with all due respect, because no respect is actually due. Besides, anyone who has to demand respect automatically deserves ridicule. If you deserved respect you'd already have it ".

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195262 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Contrast the above with the atheist lie supplied below from a typical atheist blog. Then try to tell me I'm being pedantic for insisting on recognizing the meaning of words like "atheism".“Atheism is not a movement. No government or country effectuates policy in the name of atheism. Atheism is not even a a proper “ism”. It has no guidelines, rules, tenets, or practices. It has no rituals, dogma, holy books or scripture. It cannot replace religion, because it is merely the vacuum created when religion disappears from one’s personal beliefs” Tell it to the Russian "League of Militant Atheists", the "Ministry of Knowledge", and the millions of dead Russians.
None of us appears to be moved by your argument. I agree with the blogger.

Why can't you find evidence to support your claim that atheism is a dangerous and murderous doctrine from that atheist blogger, or this one (me)? You keep returning to Soviet Communism, which really doesn't depend on atheism at all. Marx, Lenin and Stalin could have all been devout Christian promoting Christianity and if nothing else was different about them, there would have been just as many murders. Atheism has as little to do with the murderous aspects of Soviet Communism as the Russian language, They are both just incidental features of it.

Location hidden

#195263 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
What does this refer to, and what is the crime? Weren't you discussing atheism as a cause of murder?
<quoted text>
And where is the murder in this?
<quoted text>
Yet, again, how does this establish a link between unbelief and murder?
And if you ever get around to trying to connect atheism with murder or genocide, I will tell you that whatever ism you are invloking - Stalinism, Maoism, etc - it will be much more than atheism per se that you are indicting, which is nothing more than unbelief in gods, and which does not promote or facilitate murder.
What these multiple failed attempts to do that indicate is that you are aware of no link between unbelief and murder. In every case, you are discussing something that is not murder, and involves something that is much, much more than mere unbelief.
==========
Atheism is safe.The West is brimming with atheists, and to my knowledge, there are no violent atheist organizations or individuals leading such organizations promoting violence.
Most of us are secular humanists, and are perfectly safe people - safer than our zealous Christian counterparts, who have been conditioned by an ideology that features genocide (the great flood), torture (crucifixion), and extreme punishment (damnation), and whose history teems with eras of organized torture and murder in the name of the bible god..
You don't see the link between atheist presecution and atheist murder.

How 'bout the link between atheist murder and atheist murder?

And you want me to believe all atheist dictators are psychopaths.

Vox Day:

*There have been twenty-eight countries in world history that can be confirmed to have been ruled by regimes with avowed atheists at the helm … more than half have engaged in acts of mass murder of the sort committed by Stalin and Mao …*

*The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the bloody hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.*

*The historical record of killing by collective atheism is thus 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition*.

*There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules...*

*The average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.*
Jim

London, UK

#195264 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Statements like this are why religious liars have to be kicked out of the atheism forum.
Jim

London, UK

#195266 Dec 23, 2013
Stalin and Mao did not kill people because they were atheist.

Atheism is a disbelief in religious liars like yourself buck.
Jim

London, UK

#195267 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you come down and personally see to that, Jimmy Boy?
Bring one of your girlish buddies to carry your busted-up ass home.
Too dumb to use words, facts or arguments, buck's christianity must fall back on threats of violence.

Here's a club, for you caveman, now see if you can destroy dinosaur fossil evidence?
Jim

London, UK

#195268 Dec 23, 2013
Buck: "Duh, I threatened all the scientists and destroyed all the evidence, but Atheism still exists!" WHYYYY??"

Westcliffe, CO

#195269 Dec 23, 2013
Jesus Christ, it is cold outside!!

I gotta quit smoking.

I try to imagine how Amerindians dealt with their nicotine habit. How much tobacco they put away for winter. The pain and angst when they ran out and there were no convenience stores open.

How their children got hooked on the stuff.

Those long cold winters cooped up with no tobacco.

Ugh.

Location hidden

#195270 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
None of us appears to be moved by your argument. I agree with the blogger.
Why can't you find evidence to support your claim that atheism is a dangerous and murderous doctrine from that atheist blogger, or this one (me)? You keep returning to Soviet Communism, which really doesn't depend on atheism at all. Marx, Lenin and Stalin could have all been devout Christian promoting Christianity and if nothing else was different about them, there would have been just as many murders. Atheism has as little to do with the murderous aspects of Soviet Communism as the Russian language, They are both just incidental features of it.
Are you selling beachfront property?

Stalin and Lenin committed mass murder to promote atheism. Communism relies on atheism, and sees god-belief as an intoxicant that kept the working class down.

To promote communism is to promote atheism. For a communist regime to kill for communism is to kill for atheism.

It's settled history, as my examples illustrate.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195271 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
How 'bout the link between atheist murder and atheist murder?
And you want me to believe all atheist dictators are psychopaths.
Vox Day:
*There have been twenty-eight countries in world history that can be confirmed to have been ruled by regimes with avowed atheists at the helm … more than half have engaged in acts of mass murder of the sort committed by Stalin and Mao …*
*The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the bloody hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.*
*The historical record of killing by collective atheism is thus 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition*.
*There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules...*
*The average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.*
http://books.google.com/books... *&source=bl&ots=WGFGHI Zlah&sig=MGNvlZZV9kFX3QC4t IoCnRCZQlM&hl=en&sa=X &ei=e2S4Uo7kHYSdyQGEsoGIDA &ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage &q=There%20have%20been%20t wenty-eight%20countries%20in%2 0world%20history%20that%20can% 20be%20confirmed%20to%20have%2 0been%20ruled%20by%20regimes%2 0with%20avowed%20atheists%20at %20the%20helm%20%E2%80%A6%20mo re%20than%20half%20have%20enga ged%20in%20acts%20of%20mass%20 murder%20of%20the%20sort%20com mitted%20by%20Stalin%20and%20M ao%20%E2%80%A6*&f=false

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#195272 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Have you heard or read Pat Condell on respect for religion?
Here are links to two of his brief videos, with excerpts from each one included
WARNING to Christians: don't read this if you're not up for some intense criticism of religion.
[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =P4dSiHqpULkXX
"If you criticize religion, every so often someone will say to you quite disapprovingly "You may not have faith in God, but you could show a bit more respect for those people who do ... The only fly in the ointment is I don't actually feel any respect."
" Indeed, purely on the evidence religion itself provides in such regular abundance, there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse. And quite frankly, the fact that religion gets so little abuse compared to what it really deserves, I can only attribute to the unbelievable tolerance, restraint, and plain good manners of atheists and secularists everywhere.
"So, if you are a religious person, and if you're thinking of demanding more respect for your beliefs, please try to bear in mind that you and your religion are already getting way more respect than you’ve have ever deserved."
"Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. How convenient. Yes, faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law.
The word "transcendent" is very popular with religious hustlers because they never have to explain precisely what they mean by it, other than some vague superior state of understanding more profound than mere reason, which is crude and simplistic next to the subtleties and profundities of belief without evidence. If you hear a senior clergyman (and you will) using the word “transcendent" to explain the nonsense he claims to believe, then you know two things: one: he doesn't know what he's talking about, and two: he doesn't want you to know what he's talking about either."
"Faith is ... an abdication from reality. It's a dumb act of self-hypnosis. It's a cowardly cop out.
It's gullibility with a halo. And hiding behind it is like pretending to be an invalid. So I don't really understand exactly what it is that I'm supposed to respect. It seems to me I'd need to be some kind of moral contortionist to respect something that noxious, something that depends for its existence on a closed mind, and that is clearly dragging humanity in the wrong direction, and giving us false ideas about ourselves and about the nature of reality.
[2] http://dotsub.com/view/55cb82e4-34c9-4cfe-9a5...
"Why is faith worthy of so much respect? Would somebody show me the calculations, because I just don't get it."
"The truth is that faith is nothing more than the deliberate suspension of disbelief ... So why is that worthy of respect, any more than your willingness to poke yourself in the eye with a pencil?"
"And why is faith considered some kind of virtue?... Faith, by definition, is unexamined. So in that sense it has to be among the shallowest of experiences. Yet, if it could, it would regulate every action, word and thought of every single person on this planet"
"The truth is your beliefs are infantile, your scriptures are lies, and your gods are illusions. And I can say that with all due respect, because no respect is actually due. Besides, anyone who has to demand respect automatically deserves ridicule. If you deserved respect you'd already have it ".
there's every reason to actively disrespect it to the point of outright abuse.
Ya, that pretty much sums up the Topix Atheist!

So much for the love and intolerance of your precious secular humanism.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#195273 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, that pretty much sums up the Topix Atheist!
So much for the love and intolerance of your precious secular humanism.
Let us take a look at the love and intolerance of your precious Christ-insanity!

JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me."

JESUS: Luke 14:26, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters  yes, even his own life he cannot be my disciple."

JESUS: Matt. 10:34, NIV "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

GOD: Ex. 32:27 ("Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor")

Micah 1:12, "...evil came down from the Lord ...."
santhosh balaji

Chennai, India

#195274 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Stalin and Lenin committed mass murder to promote atheism. Communism relies on atheism, and sees god-belief as an intoxicant that kept the working class down.
To promote communism is to promote atheism. For a communist regime to kill for communism is to kill for atheism.
Many historical battles ,bitterfull historical moments ,communal violence,civil wars,terrorist groups were created for the sake of religion and its followers ,not by atheists

Main aim of an atheist is to bring unity among people

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#195275 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
OK. Just keep in mind that when you say Christians, you don't know which people you are referring to, if any. Perhaps there are only three human beings getting into heaven. Or none at all.
Perhaps this planet was a complete failure for your god, and his worshipers will all come from other planets where he has created creatures more to his liking, meaning that all true Christians live on other planets. Would you agree that that is possible? I think you have to if you agree with my point [2] above
No I can't agree with that. The first part I can, that while for me a person saying they are Christian when I first meet him or her doesn't mean I know if they really are, I'll still consider that person a Christian. And the word confirms that many are fooling themselves thinking this and God will have some unpleasant news for them on that day. The 2nd part I strongly disagree with because of my belief. This planet is a failure but its not God that failed, its man.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#195276 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
True. My pastor comes from a nation that is socialist. No doubt this and communism are strongly linked and it leads to hell on earth. While I am thankful to live in this nation and can't relate to his stories of church being canceled because some people were killed in a bomb blast in the building next door I know this is true.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195277 Dec 23, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
Let us take a look at the love and intolerance of your precious Christ-insanity!
JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me."
You're still trying to be deceitful and make it look like Jesus wants his enemies dead.

You're still failing.

Jesus wasn't making a commandment in that verse, he was telling a story about someone else.

Do I gotta mop your shit up here, too?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195278 Dec 23, 2013
santhosh balaji wrote:
Main aim of an atheist is to bring unity among people
By burning churches and Bibles and murdering all theists.

Good job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 19 min DanFromSmithville 40,441
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 25 min DanFromSmithville 15,986
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 47 min Reason Personified 216
A Universe from Nothing? 1 hr u196533dm 56
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 7 hr Thinking 4,656
News Why I quit atheism 7 hr Nooooo 391
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr Thinking 24,070
More from around the web