Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247434 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Coram, NY

#195223 Dec 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever seen a thesbian cunctating, mensurating, or doing a dido on the bissextile?
No, but I did mensurate the time a thesBian whos cuncation in coming occurred during a waxing gibbous.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195224 Dec 23, 2013
"Similarly, SCIENTIFIC ATHEISTS thought that atheism was empirically proven because God remained unseen or because certain religious stories were scientifically inconceivable. Following World War II, Soviet officials started a campaign to produce natural-scientific arguments against
belief in God. For instance, Soviet scientists placed holy water under a microscope to prove that it has no special properties and “the corpses of saints were exhumed to demonstrate that they too were subject to corruption”(Van den Bercken 1975:143).

Location hidden

#195225 Dec 23, 2013
"In attempting to provide an alternative to religion, SCIENTIFIC ATHEISTS were unable to construct any clear or resounding message. On the one hand, they hoped to demonstrate that science was opposed to religion. However, their scienti&#64257;c “proofs,” such as showing that God did not live
in the sky, misjudged the meaning and intent of religious explanations. On the other hand, they demanded an unquestioning faith in atheism without any real evidence for atheism. By not being able to respond to simple questions or allow for open discussion of concerns, scientific atheists appeared insecure about their own doctrine. This could not have generated con&#64257;dence in their would-be converts. The line between faith and science became blurred within the doctrine of scienti&#64257;c atheism, which demanded a holy reverence for nonscienti&#64257;c ideas masquerading as science. Soviet citizens were left disoriented by such an explanatory scheme. In addition, they were repeatedly told that the Soviet doctrine of scienti&#64257;c atheism was the only alternative to
religious belief. Under these circumstances, many Soviets held on to their religious faith as the only plausible response to a world in which atheistic concepts were vaguely de&#64257;ned and empirically unproven."

Location hidden

#195226 Dec 23, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Catcher is a legend in his own moribund mind.
He went to law school.

He can't be expected to understand the Constitution, except for techniques for circumventing and abusing it.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195229 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
"Similarly, SCIENTIFIC ATHEISTS thought that atheism was empirically proven because God remained unseen or because certain religious stories were scientifically inconceivable. Following World War II, Soviet officials started a campaign to produce natural-scientific arguments against
belief in God. For instance, Soviet scientists placed holy water under a microscope to prove that it has no special properties and “the corpses of saints were exhumed to demonstrate that they too were subject to corruption”(Van den Bercken 1975:143).
People that believe in god, in the age of science, need mental help. In future this will come from governments who want to clean up society.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195230 Dec 23, 2013
Just like there have been riots in London in the past, there will be religious riots in the futute, where normal, uninfected citizens will demand why religion requires respect in society.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195231 Dec 23, 2013
Since nobody has a good reason for why anybody should pay attention to the religious, we will see these faith based mental illness decrease with time.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195232 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
THE KNOWLEDGE SOCIETY was formed to take over the functions of the defunct LEAGUE OF MILITANT ATHEISTS and offered not only atheist education but also various extracurricular activities, such as the Summer Days of Youth.“Each of the union republics had its own [Knowledge]
Society, and there were branches in every region, territory, city and district”(Powell 1975:48).
The Knowledge Society grew to a membership of 2.5 million by 1970, a number less than half the size of the League of Militant Atheists in 1932 (see Table 1)."
All Caps, the mark of a religious madman. Better arrest him before he causes more problems.

Location hidden

#195233 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep being right.
"The overt pageantry and solemnity surrounding Communist rituals illustrate the extent to
which Communists embraced the pseudo-religious role of SCIENTIFIC ATHEISM. In fact, atheist rituals and Communist celebrations resembled religious ceremonies quite closely.“Red”weddings mimicked religious weddings with Communist of&#64257;cials donning robes and sanctifying the union between husband and wife in church-like settings complete with candles and alters emblazoned with Soviet symbols. Similarly, atheist funerals and even birth rituals (a response to baptism) aped the sanctity and ceremony of their religious counterparts (Powell 1975:71). May Day celebrations and other national expressions of Soviet power were “infused with ‘positive’ secular symbols”
(Bociurkiw and Strong 1975:158)

Contrast the above with the atheist lie supplied below from a typical atheist blog.

Then try to tell me I'm being pedantic for insisting on recognizing the meaning of words like "atheism".

“Atheism is not a movement. No government or country effectuates policy in the name of atheism. Atheism is not even a a proper “ism”. It has no guidelines, rules, tenets, or practices. It has no rituals, dogma, holy books or scripture. It cannot replace religion, because it is merely the vacuum created when religion disappears from one’s personal beliefs”

Tell it to the Russian "League of Militant Atheists", the "Ministry of Knowledge", and the millions of dead Russians.

Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195235 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Contrast the above with the atheist lie supplied below from a typical atheist blog.
Then try to tell me I'm being pedantic for insisting on recognizing the meaning of words like "atheism".
“Atheism is not a movement. No government or country effectuates policy in the name of atheism. Atheism is not even a a proper “ism”. It has no guidelines, rules, tenets, or practices. It has no rituals, dogma, holy books or scripture. It cannot replace religion, because it is merely the vacuum created when religion disappears from one’s personal beliefs”
Tell it to the Russian "League of Militant Atheists", the "Ministry of Knowledge", and the millions of dead Russians.
Opening your mouth to speak about Atheism is a mistake, if you are religious person with no evidence of god.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195236 Dec 23, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck replying to his own post LMAO.

Atheism is a simple disbelief in religious liars. Now that you know this buck, will you continue to lie about Atheism? hell yes.

Location hidden

#195237 Dec 23, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
All Caps, the mark of a religious madman. Better arrest him before he causes more problems.
Why don't you come down and personally see to that, Jimmy Boy?

Bring one of your girlish buddies to carry your busted-up ass home.
Jim

Scunthorpe, UK

#195238 Dec 23, 2013
Atheim is merely the rejection of religion. For some religious people, who are unsure about their beliefs, this is big deal.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#195239 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
You keep saying that, and I keep telling you that many people don't agree.
It's analogous to a man who is never kind to his wife - one who continually hurts her with his words and deeds - who then tells her that he loves her as she's walking out the door. She gets to decide what love is, not him. She has zero interest in what he claims to feel, only how he treats her.
What do Christians do for gay people, and what do they do to them? We all see what those are. Christians demean, demonize and marginalize gays, and try to prevent their happiness even when it would cost them nothing to support it. And then say that they love gays, not hate them..
Sorry, but the hateful, disrespectful behavior that causes guilt and shame, and makes lives more difficult, speaks louder than any words about not hating.
<quoted text>
I know. That's the source of the problem - his bible. You may consider your bible a sacred and beautiful book - the very pinnacle of love - but the rest of us consider it hateful, and the church and its vectors for its destructive message will simply have to deal with that. You can't change anybody's mind by denying hate any more than the husband in the analogy could.
When it comes to Christians, all you see is hate.

Your rationality is out the window.

I can't debate it with you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195240 Dec 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I don't want a gay teacher teaching my kids how awesome it is to be gay. But I have to.
It's part of freedom and free will. I don't want to silence the gay teacher, I want him free to fully express his ideals and views. And I want the Christian teacher to be able to do the same.

Unless the Christian teacher is gay, you mean, right?
Wrong.

Read it again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195241 Dec 23, 2013
I agree with you this time, but you've departed from the position that Duckman's freedoms were violated.
I never said his freedom was violated.

I said he was expressing his opinion.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195242 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I think you're mixing a little reason and compassion in with dogma, which is a good thing.
The doctrine of sin - the arbitrary pronouncement and faith based acceptance of an activity as being in conflict with a perfect god and its objectively true moral values - is really a terrible thing. It's got you doing ethical calisthenics in an effort to be a loving father to your sons.
At least I'm thinking about it and doing my best.

That's gotta count for something.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#195243 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't respect their beliefs either.
And it wasn't an issue of his beliefs, but of his biology and psychology.
Working at a Catholic school, it is about his beliefs.

I'll put it in a secular way, just for you.

It's like a stripper that refuses to strip. The owner isn't gonna get her very long.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#195244 Dec 23, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That's not rape, it is more along the line of an arranged marriage where the female is elevated from slave to wife. She has a thirty day period to morn. These are non Hebrew POW females. If things do not work out she is free. That is through verse 14. That is the problem with your interpretation. You do not look at the whole picture and you ignore historical context. You take a couple verses and ignore everything else. Under that method one can take the Bible and use it to justify anything and they have. But the misuse of a thing does not invalidate its legitimate use. But you are obviously not interested in the proper use of Scripture. You are a hopeless Biblical illiterate who cannot even answer the easiest of questions. You commit anachronistic fallacy.
''Definition: Judging one time period by the standards, mores, truths, or customs of another time, or analyzing a time period as if later customs, information, or standards were known at that time.''
I think your mind is just to poisoned to actually learn anything. You insist on your errors. Its a learning disability.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
They will never get it, never.
.. Lightbeamer is correct, the god of the Old Testament is culturally conditioned ..

.. your patriarchical desert god elevated women from slave status to Mrs. Slave Status according to societal standards of the era. We understand that rape was acceptable under certain conditions and your god simply established a few merciful rules for the game. Trust me, we get it ..

.. all gods are cultural constricts. Always ..

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#195245 Dec 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Au contraire. Christian doctrine is antithetical to authentic spirituality, the sine qua non of which includes a sense of connectivity to oneself, to one's family and community, to one's fellow man, to all other life, and the to world it all plays out in.
Christian philosophy undoes all of those. You are told that you are an alien spirit in a flawed fleshy vessel, a member of a failed and diseased species, and temporarily trapped in a temporary world of base matter that you are to despise like you do your own flesh. You are admonished to remain separate from it all, and to redirect your attention to a hypothetical place outside of the universe, and to a time after your death.
How can you develop a sense of spirituality once laden with that?
<quoted text>
I would hope not. That is not the proper function of a government.
<quoted text>
You render yourself irrelevant as soon as you wear that mantle.
Your arrested emotional development past adolescence has done a serious job of preventing you from observing the life process with a detached and objective eye.(You are admonished to remain separate from it all)

Product under construction.(temporarily trapped in a temporary world of base matter)(you are an alien spirit)

Yearning for something better or different.(world of base matter that you are to despise like you do your own flesh)

You can call the last motivation. Why you have pioneers, why you wandered around in your youth, why you ae unhappy with organized religion. You aren't real happy with the way things are in this base matter you are being formed in. You wish to exist in something better, or to just blank out.

You can't get past the fact you are under construction and become aware of more as time progresses. Base material getting modified. You are on an assembly line. On, not standing next to it.

Will you fly like a little birdie when you get to the end of it?

Rethink your perceptions of what the religion says and understand the limitations of fellow product under construction being able to tell you just "what is" in absolute terms. Also be aware that for thousands of years they have been arguing, often most violently, about the truth of their perceptions and the direction they want everyone to take. Which usually that which benefits their material desires the most. Creating lumps of clay in their image that get washed away in tide changes and the winds of time.

Put the bong down and start thinking freely.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 51 min thetruth 12,658
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 56 min thetruth 47,804
Proof of God for the Atheist 1 hr Cujo 122
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr ChristineM 2,353
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr thetruth 14,715
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 10 hr thetruth 7
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 16 hr thetruth 21
More from around the web