Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255535 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#195114 Dec 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in the hell you came up with that above in relation to this is beyond me. Looked like a severe spurious signal generation affecting your thinking. Your coherency took a break. Take out a few bobby pins, that may be the problem.
You said your grandfather was Stasi and retired to Brazil like war criminals did. The Stasi came about a few years after the war. Was your grandfather ex SS or Gestapo that went to work for the Stasi?
There's a guy in one of my classes named Robert Penn.

Everybody calls him Bobby. He's a good sport about it.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#195115 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I relate what I wish to relate. The point here being that although East Germany was indeed a Communist area, the Stasi were not.
Condescend away.
Yeah.

I'm sure they kept that well hidden from the KGB.

"The Stasi was one of the most hated and feared institutions of the East German communist government."

That was from your link.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#195116 Dec 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"From the 980s, Gerbert of Aurillac (later, Pope Sylvester II) used his position to spread knowledge of the numerals in Europe. Gerbert studied in Barcelona in his youth. He was known to have requested mathematical treatises concerning the astrolabe from Lupitus of Barcelona after he had returned to France."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals#...
Because a Pope thought they were cool and better than Roman numerals?
Gerbert copped that from the Arabs - and you can't multiply in Roman. No zero, either.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#195117 Dec 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"From the 980s, Gerbert of Aurillac (later, Pope Sylvester II) used his position to spread knowledge of the numerals in Europe. Gerbert studied in Barcelona in his youth. He was known to have requested mathematical treatises concerning the astrolabe from Lupitus of Barcelona after he had returned to France."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals#...
Because a Pope thought they were cool and better than Roman numerals?
Oh, that was not long after the Moorish (That's Arab to you) occupation.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195118 Dec 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah.

I'm sure they kept that well hidden from the KGB.

"The Stasi was one of the most hated and feared institutions of the East German communist government."

That was from your link.
That's right. Like I said before, you think that an organisation hated by Communists is a Communist organisation. Even if it isn't. Even if it's a Democratic Republic Organisation.

*i love reading this stuff, it's like online Jerry Springer, don't like something? lie about it, change it or personally attack someone*

Have a joyous capitalist consumerism day Dave.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195119 Dec 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gerbert copped that from the Arabs - and you can't multiply in Roman. No zero, either.
I can add in binary.

Oh wait, there's a zero there :)

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195120 Dec 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, that was not long after the Moorish (That's Arab to you) occupation.
I was occupied by the Boorish this morning.

I was in church.

Westcliffe, CO

#195121 Dec 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Gerbert copped that from the Arabs - and you can't multiply in Roman. No zero, either.
sigh...

There was no inhibition in the church to make a dramatic change in math and science.

Westcliffe, CO

#195122 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. Like I said before, you think that an organisation hated by Communists is a Communist organisation. Even if it isn't. Even if it's a Democratic Republic Organisation.
*i love reading this stuff, it's like online Jerry Springer, don't like something? lie about it, change it or personally attack someone*
Have a joyous capitalist consumerism day Dave.
Ms Lucilosthermind, this group could probably use you. They are in serious need of a real ding a ling. They have a dud in there.

Good night and Merry Christmas.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195123 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I know that.My epistemological, metaphysical and ethical philosophies derive elsewhere.

This is yet another example of faith based thought. You have been told by your church that atheists are empty,
I wrote atheism explains nothing and you agreed above. Atheists are dammed according to Scripture.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195124 Dec 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Ms Lucilosthermind, this group could probably use you. They are in serious need of a real ding a ling. They have a dud in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =I_P0SaPmV3cXX

Good night and Merry Christmas.
Ah, that didn't take long.

Cheers Dave but I'll give your link a miss :)

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195125 Dec 22, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>I wrote atheism explains nothing and you agreed above. Atheists are dammed according to Scripture.
According to the satanic bible, you are a practicing satanist.

Here daily.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195126 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Maybe you need to define rape as well. To me, rape is forced, nonconsensensual sex. Would you concede that your bible is filled with examples of your god authorizing or commanding that? How about this one:
Deuteronomy 21:10-11 - "When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife."
That's not rape, it is more along the line of an arranged marriage where the female is elevated from slave to wife. She has a thirty day period to morn. These are non Hebrew POW females. If things do not work out she is free. That is through verse 14. That is the problem with your interpretation. You do not look at the whole picture and you ignore historical context. You take a couple verses and ignore everything else. Under that method one can take the Bible and use it to justify anything and they have. But the misuse of a thing does not invalidate its legitimate use. But you are obviously not interested in the proper use of Scripture. You are a hopeless Biblical illiterate who cannot even answer the easiest of questions. You commit anachronistic fallacy.

''Definition: Judging one time period by the standards, mores, truths, or customs of another time, or analyzing a time period as if later customs, information, or standards were known at that time.''

I think your mind is just to poisoned to actually learn anything. You insist on your errors. Its a learning disability.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#195127 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So why oppose same sex marriage?
I don't. But I think the people have a right to organize society and law around principles like one man and one woman in marriage, if that is their will, and it has been.

People may decide differently, and that's fine. I don't like judges deciding it.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195128 Dec 22, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I wrote atheism explains nothing and you agreed above. Atheists are dammed according to Scripture.
So are the children of God according to Scripture.

Teh God will flood you out in a heatbeat.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#195129 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Pott, Mao, and Stalin killed for advancement of a society without the shackles of theism.
They were atheists, and killed for atheism.
Pott particularly liked killing the handicapped - "handicapped" to him meant children who wore eyeglasses.
You still have provided no evidence that they killed because of a lack of belief
in a deity. Not a shred.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#195130 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. But I think the people have a right to organize society and law around principles like one man and one woman in marriage, if that is their will, and it has been.
People may decide differently, and that's fine. I don't like judges deciding it.
That's what judges are for.

People may decide that certain people aren't to be afforded the protections that the Constitution demands. I can vote. I can marry a black man. I can't marry a black woman.

That must be rectified.

Location hidden

#195131 Dec 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what judges are for.
People may decide that certain people aren't to be afforded the protections that the Constitution demands. I can vote. I can marry a black man. I can't marry a black woman.
That must be rectified.
The Constitution affords no protection for marrying the same sex.

The prohibition is equally applied to every person.

It's not a judge's job to say the Constitution says something it doesn't.

Location hidden

#195132 Dec 22, 2013
UndefeatedAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
You still have provided no evidence that they killed because of a lack of belief
in a deity. Not a shred.
They didn't kill for a lack of belief. Atheism is not a lack of belief.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#195133 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't kill for a lack of belief. Atheism is not a lack of belief.
Why would I need to believe there is a deity or deities?

So far, I haven't ran across anything that convinces me or causes me to believe there is anything even similar to a deity.

How is it I "believe" there are no deities?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 4 min Uncle Sam 14,969
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 min renee 35,437
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min ChristineM 23,874
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr NightSerf 4,491
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr woodtick57 20,177
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr thetruth 42
News a€‹GORMAN: Science is a religion 8 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web