Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#195012 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, of course not. I know they're gonna have sex. I know it's a sin, they know it's a sin. I just want them to be absolutely certain about the woman before they get married. I think I might be mixing a little secularism with Christianity. I have no doubt I'll be answerable for it when my judgement comes.
I think you're mixing a little reason and compassion in with dogma, which is a good thing.

The doctrine of sin - the arbitrary pronouncement and faith based acceptance of an activity as being in conflict with a perfect god and its objectively true moral values - is really a terrible thing. It's got you doing ethical calisthenics in an effort to be a loving father to your sons.

Fennario

#195013 Dec 22, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a problem that is fostered/promoted by the Christian belief system(not all Christian belief systems, just some).
Ar Ar has often said that it is -*sex outside of marriage*- that is condemned within Christianity. Many, but not all Christians will also say that - that - is the "sin" being committed >>>> sex outside of marriage.
And yet Christians are against same sex marriage.
They, in effect, create the situation that they say is the problem with people in same sex relationships.
If marriage was allowed within same sex relationships, would Christians then have no problem with same sex couples?
Doubtful.
To do so would remove an entire group of people that *some* Christians say they don't have a problem with, and can castigate at the same time.
<Christians> "...See?...the Jesus loves you and we as Christians love you, too, it's your sin we can't tolerate - sex outside of marriage is a no no....no matter what sex you are..."
Good point. Their positions on fornication and homosexuality create an impossible set of conditions for a person with same sex instincts. Oh well, off to hell with them.

Fennario

#195014 Dec 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You think it's a thoughtless decision. You're far from correct.
The decision is based off of our morality, not our whims.
You're correct. I didn't choose the best word. Perhaps I should have said inconsiderate.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195015 Dec 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. for many Christians on this thread, Jesus is just a sock puppet for their ego. They slip Him on and off as needed ..
.. it's difficult to critique the psychological damage caused by religion, a stone wall has been built around the castle and a moat surrounds it. On one hand, we read, "You're a godless sick deviant going to hell," then "I'll pray for you." Talk about a mixed message ..
.. true spirituality begins with wonderment, not theological rules ..
Agreed, however, I don't think it's just the christians on this thread or even topix.

I've witnessed far more than I would ever care to and can say with absolute certainty that the majority of religious folks, especially christians, use the jesus character as a sock puppet as well as their religion to do whatever they want, they even speak for their alleged god, some god huh? Needs money and for puny humans to speak for it.

Only to periodically and for show, act all pious and righteous, thinking that gives them the right to opine on how others should live, to the point of wanting to affect laws.

They are not righteous or innocent, not one, children are but they go right ahead and poison them as well.

Fennario

#195016 Dec 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Sun sets at 11:30 p.m. Today is longest of the year. Windy, cold, beautiful. Kayaked among gorgeous, ice blue glaciers. People simple, warm, sincere. Town of 7,000, mixed-race, indigenous/white. Dogs roam the streets. Everything very cheap. Incredible seafood--fish, king crab, scallops. Sheep ranches. Guanacos roam. Rheas all over.
Huge cattle ranches. It's a paradise, but remote. Lots of rivers, ice floes, glaciers. Excellent beer.
Nice. Thanks for the update.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#195017 Dec 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Maybe you need to define rape as well. To me, rape is forced, nonconsensensual sex. Would you concede that your bible is filled with examples of your god authorizing or commanding that? How about this one:
Deuteronomy 21:10-11 - "When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife."
.. Lightbeamrider's spirituality resides in his brain. Everything is prosaic and must be taken very, very seriously. Nobody dare fool around with his god ..

.. true spirituality does not function that way; it's not a 'think' experience ..

With Established Harem

#195018 Dec 22, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, however, I don't think it's just the christians on this thread or even topix.
I've witnessed far more than I would ever care to and can say with absolute certainty that the majority of religious folks, especially christians, use the jesus character as a sock puppet as well as their religion to do whatever they want, they even speak for their alleged god, some god huh? Needs money and for puny humans to speak for it.
Only to periodically and for show, act all pious and righteous, thinking that gives them the right to opine on how others should live, to the point of wanting to affect laws.
They are not righteous or innocent, not one, children are but they go right ahead and poison them as well.
.. every now and then, someone comes along that inspires the imagination for the journey each of us takes. Recently it was Nelson Mandela. Then there's Buddha, Confucius and, yes, a man called Jesus ..

.. it seems you're going through a life passage, that's good, you'll grow. Usually anger is part and parcel of any change or awakening ..

.. no longer are you a product of automation; you're free to seek your own path. Like Mandela, Buddha, Confucius and Jesus, do it with compassion, try not to let anger kill your spirit, become the perfect expression of What Is ..

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195019 Dec 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. every now and then, someone comes along that inspires the imagination for the journey each of us takes. Recently it was Nelson Mandela. Then there's Buddha, Confucius and, yes, a man called Jesus ..

.. it seems you're going through a life passage, that's good, you'll grow. Usually anger is part and parcel of any change or awakening ..

.. no longer are you a product of automation; you're free to seek your own path. Like Mandela, Buddha, Confucius and Jesus, do it with compassion, try not to let anger kill your spirit, become the perfect expression of What Is ..
I don't think anger is required to make observations but thanks, I guess.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195020 Dec 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. Lightbeamrider's spirituality resides in his brain.
Yeah.
Everything is prosaic and must be taken very, very seriously.
I enjoy the posts here with the amusing house wine. Yes you lack imagination and nonsensical.
Nobody dare fool around with his god ..
Boring.
.. true spirituality does not function that way; it's not a 'think' experience ..
Forfeit your brain? LOL!

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#195021 Dec 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why haven't you invited me to your next Bukkake party, sir?
Were you raided?

Bukkake Tsunami!

Starring; NanoaNom Nom Nom aly.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#195022 Dec 22, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>....

Bukkake Tsunami!

Starring; NanoaNom Nom Nom aly.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
Yikes.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#195023 Dec 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well we all have our psycho freakishness, and conformity wont stop you from wearing that dress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =aowSGxim_O8XX
I haven't worn a dress since Halloween '68. My sister got jealous because I looked better in it. LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#195024 Dec 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It's not a fact that all Christians are scum...like you.
It only takes one dog turd on top to give one reason to reject the entire bushel of otherwise holesome apples.

No, it isn't fair. However, apples aren't able to denounce the dog turd, people do have that ability.
One of the things that hurts the reputation of Christianity is that their attempt to appear 'unified' overshadows their ability to denounce the dog turds in their midst.

If one refuses to get rid of the skeletons in their closets, don't complain when people claim you live in a morgue.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#195025 Dec 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>That would explain your unlucky status as a failed cockblocker.
LOL

I am not sure that is a compliment or an insult.

A woman I once asked on a date said to me, "I only have sex with women.". My reply, "Me too !"

Fennario

#195026 Dec 22, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
So stereotyping is ok as long as it's only Christians you're insulting? Bigot.
nanoanomaly wrote:
You're posting to KK, also known as Alice_, the creepy pedo tranny from Seattle. He was never "young and beautiful", just "young and slimey".
nanoanomaly wrote:
It's not a fact that all Christians are scum...like you.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Lying. POS, flametard, just like Seth.
Too bad you're so lame you need more than 3 accounts to TRY to make your point, Kaitlyn.
nanoanomaly wrote:
Actually, it enrages him that decent folk warn their children to beware of his kind, you know, men wearing girly Sailor Moon costumes with no panties underneath. He hates the fact that such warnings limit access to new, younger cherry boys. The perv.
nanoanomaly wrote:
That would explain your unlucky status as a failed cockblocker.
LOL. You have got to be one of the most repulsive people on Topix. You contribute nothing better than these pieces of verbal stool that you crap down your leg and litter the thread with.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#195027 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is responsible for more genocide than Christianity, or even all religions combined......
Wow! 3% of the population is that powerful ?

Is God stupid, lazy, powerless or just an Evil POS ?

Fennario

#195028 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The panties your mother laid out?
Classic Seinfeld

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#195029 Dec 22, 2013

Fennario

#195030 Dec 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism is responsible for more genocide than Christianity, or even all religions combined.
Atheism, like marijuana, is responsible for no deaths. God beliefs can lead to murder, but the rejection of them cannot. Atheists that have murdered did not murder because they were atheists.
Buck Crick wrote:
China under Mao Tse Tung, killed 26.3 million people. According the Walker Report, 63.7 million over the whole period of time of the Communist revolution in China. The Soviet Union put to death 66.7 million people under Lenin and Stalin. The atheist Pol Pott and the Khmer Rouge, in only 4 years, between April 17, 1975 and January 1979, killed 3 million Cambodians. The Chinese at two different times in medieval history, killed somewhere in the vicinity of 35 million and 40 million people.
Those were all religions with human gods.

Totalitarian ideologies like Stalinism and Maoism and religions like Islam and Christianity are cults of personality that require worship and obeisance to a larger-than-life ├╝bermensch, human in one case, supernatural in the other.

Besides requiring worship, they all employ terrorism, thought and information control techniques, and a requirement for submission and absolute obedience. Each feature long histories of genocide.

Both the totalitarian regimes you named and religions are characterized by excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to the god or godlike personality, which is required, and whose dicta are treated as truths beyond debate.Members thoughts and behaviors are dictated, and shame, guilt, and threats are employed to control them. Whatever means are deemed necessary to achieve some larger than life goal are justified, leading initiates to do things that they would have considered reprehensible outside of the group. These are the values of Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.

By contrast, most atheists are humanists who value reason, cooperation, freedom, peace, tolerance, negotiation, democracy, peace, egalitarianism, justice, compassion, individuality, autonomy, self-actualization, and political freedom. Christianity, Stalinism, Islam, and Maoism.are antithetical to all of those.

You have no argument against atheism here, just one against absolutist ideologies and cults of personality. In fact, from the Affirmations of Humanism comes, "We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others."

With Established Harem

#195031 Dec 22, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah. <quoted text> I enjoy the posts here with the amusing house wine. Yes you lack imagination and nonsensical. <quoted text> Boring.
<quoted text> Forfeit your brain? LOL!
.. you follow a set of rules to find enlightenment, right ??..

.. your continued attacks on people tell me you are not clever or centered, rather you are religious and must defend your faith, even demean humans if they do not believe as you do ..

.. your posts tell me that you're grounded in scripture. True spirituality has nothing to do with knowledge; it's an identity with the universe and the desire to become a better person ..

.. you're so busy spreading the 'good news' that you can't smell the stench of your contradictory messages. Go take a shower and perhaps we can debate noble ideas like consideration, compassion and understanding ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min Into The Night 52,232
How To Get To Heaven When You Die 26 min xfrodobagginsx 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 28 min xfrodobagginsx 3,868
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 1 hr IB DaMann 509
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr Eagle 12 223
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 1 hr Eagle 12 1,677
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Amused 22,170
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr ChristineM 24,891
More from around the web