Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194833 Dec 21, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Dicotyledons (typically flowering plant seeds) have sets of cells called "photophiles", which grow up, and "photophobes", which grow down. "Phobe" does not necessarily mean "fear".
So "homophobe" means they go down on themselves?

Remind me to do some yoga.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194834 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. thanks for your scholarly theological wisdom ..
Rape isn't rape.
Wives had conjugal rights.
Men had to have sex with their wives.
Slavery & polygamy good.
.. oh, to return to those golden days of old ..
.. wise men go where fools dare not thread ..
I waxed a bit nostalgic myself. <sigh>

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194835 Dec 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:

Three things:
[1] It is OK to stand up for your beliefs, although there may be a price.
[2] Not everything belief is worthy,and some are considered evidence of character flaws.
[3] This teacher thing is not an issue regarding what he believes, but about how the church treated him for being gay, and how the young people that knew him view that treatment.
1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Not only did the students stand up for him but adults did, too. There were several Catholic groups that ceased funding immediately because they thought the school was unfair to the teacher. I agree with that decision.

I think he should have told his superiors in advance, only because he was teaching at a Catholic school and obviously a gay teacher goes against their beliefs. He didn't respect their beliefs but expected them to respect his.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#194836 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Woah there, big dog.
I ain't mean to gay folks. I am kind to them.
I think I'd be a risk if salvation if I weren't.
Love your neighbor and al that jazz, remember?
<quoted text>
See? You think it's thoughtless decision. You're far from correct.
The decision is based off of our morality, not our whims.
The morality of right & wrong that we've learned from church and the Bible. That morality teaches us about sin and how sin is wrong and that premarital sex is a sin.
This is true whether it's a hetero- or a homosexual couple.
<quoted text>
Hazing?
Hazing?!?
I don't believe they're slated for hell. I think everyone has a chance at salvation.
It's never too late.
Except for Michael Jackson.
I don't get it RR. On another thread you said you would encourage your sons to live with their mates before marriage...you are foolish is you don't think that will lead to sex...yet you think it is a sin. You are a Christian yet you encourage them to be in a situation that if you are honest you know they will.

Do you honestly think that your sons would live with someone they hopefully loved for 4 or 5 years and not give in to that?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194837 Dec 21, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it RR. On another thread you said you would encourage your sons to live with their mates before marriage...you are foolish is you don't think that will lead to sex...yet you think it is a sin. You are a Christian yet you encourage them to be in a situation that if you are honest you know they will.
Do you honestly think that your sons would live with someone they hopefully loved for 4 or 5 years and not give in to that?
No, of course not. I know they're gonna have sex. I know it's a sin, they know it's a sin.

I just want them to be absolutely certain about the woman before they get married.

I think I might be mixing a little secularism with Christianity.

I have no doubt I'll be answerable for it when my judgement comes.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#194838 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's freedom, baby.
Whether it be the Phil guy expressing his views or the super gays expressing their views at the gays parades.
So long as it's peaceful, it's all good.
No argument here.

“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#194839 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>,, in absentia ..

Whoa is you.

xxoo, Catcher
What do you think his wife gets up to when he's away? Dude seems delusional in more ways than one, to me.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#194840 Dec 21, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So "homophobe" means they go down on themselves?
Remind me to do some yoga.
No, you pestilence.

You've never taken a Bio class, have you?

“The..”

#194841 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You know what? I don't understand.

I don't understand the lack of respect kids have for their parents these days.

This song you posted says it all.

Parents can't understand that their kids are beyond their command?

I can't go along with that.

The Bible has taught me an important rule; to honor the mother and father.

I like that one better.
Bullish!t.

My stepfather was a pedophile and my mother was an abusive wh0re.

Why should parents get automatic respect without earning or deserving it? Mine were lucky I didn't kill them, their life choices took care of them though so that was ok.

That babble propagates and encourages abuse and the putting up of and with it.

You want to have these warped antiquated views, fine but at least be honest about what you're promoting here.

“The..”

#194842 Dec 21, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>That reminds me of something Pastor Ken Hutcherson said once. He died this week btw. He said he was the gayest person he knows. Your and Catcher's crap repeated often as you just did here don't make it any more true. I'm good.
Such a loving christian.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#194843 Dec 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your opinion. Mine is the opposite. And I'm not alone.
I get it that you don't care what other people think, but large numbers of us see that attitude as selfish and hostile. Where does your bible say to oppose gay marriage? Do you think your r salvation will be at risk if you are kind to gay people and do unto themas you would have them do unto you?
If not, what is your argument justifying you position? Do you have one? Or maybe you don't think you need to think it through - that it's just OK to have a thoughtless position and run with the religious herd.
In any event, many people see this unending hazing of gays by the Christians as mean-spirited bullying. You believe that they're already slated for eternity in hell. Isn't that enough for you?
Here's a problem that is fostered/promoted by the Christian belief system(not all Christian belief systems, just some).

Ar Ar has often said that it is -*sex outside of marriage*- that is condemned within Christianity. Many, but not all Christians will also say that - that - is the "sin" being committed >>>> sex outside of marriage.

And yet Christians are against same sex marriage.

They, in effect, create the situation that they say is the problem with people in same sex relationships.

If marriage was allowed within same sex relationships, would Christians then have no problem with same sex couples?

Doubtful.

To do so would remove an entire group of people that *some* Christians say they don't have a problem with, and can castigate at the same time.

<Christians> "...See?...the Jesus loves you and we as Christians love you, too, it's your sin we can't tolerate - sex outside of marriage is a no no....no matter what sex you are..."

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#194844 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
See? You think it's thoughtless decision. You're far from correct.
The decision is based off of our morality, not our whims.
The morality of right & wrong that we've learned from church and the Bible. That morality teaches us about sin and how sin is wrong and that premarital sex is a sin.
This is true whether it's a hetero- or a homosexual couple.
Case in point.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#194845 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, yes. Students DO learn from their teachers.
You exalted the gay Catholic teacher for coming out and teaches all the kids that it's ok to stand up for what you believe in.
You condemn the Phil guy for doing the same thing.
Imagine that.
I condemn the Phil guy for lumping me in with terrorists and people who fuckanimals. I'm pretty sure the teacher didn't do that.

Since: Sep 10

Chile

#194846 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm the first you post to?
Awe....
How's life at the end of the world?
The weather, food, people, structures, etc?
Sun sets at 11:30 p.m. Today is longest of the year.

Windy, cold, beautiful.

Kayaked among gorgeous, ice blue glaciers. People simple, warm, sincere.

Town of 7,000, mixed-race, indigenous/white. Dogs roam the streets. Everything very cheap. Incredible seafood--fish, king crab, scallops. Sheep ranches. Guanacos roam. Rheas all over.
Huge cattle ranches.

It's a paradise, but remote. Lots of rivers, ice floes, glaciers. Excellent beer.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194847 Dec 21, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullish!t.
My stepfather was a pedophile and my mother was an abusive wh0re.
Why should parents get automatic respect without earning or deserving it? Mine were lucky I didn't kill them, their life choices took care of them though so that was ok.
That babble propagates and encourages abuse and the putting up of and with it.
You want to have these warped antiquated views, fine but at least be honest about what you're promoting here.
Slow down there, hot lips.

Respect is earned, not given.

Your dad(mine too) must've not obeyed the Bible much.

Respect, Biblically, is respect in teachings of The Lord.

The Lord is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.

If that is taught, that earns respect.

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194848 Dec 21, 2013
scaritual wrote:
Case in point.
Negative.

This post you replied to was not about marriage, but about sex, sin.

Your "And yet Christians are against same sex marriage" is meaningless to my post.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194849 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I condemn the Phil guy for lumping me in with terrorists and people who fuckanimals. I'm pretty sure the teacher didn't do that.
He's talking about his views of sin, he wasn't clumping you together.

Don't take it personally.

You can't expect him to respect your opinion when you shit on his.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#194850 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
] This teacher thing is not an issue regarding what he believes, but about how the church treated him for being gay, and how the young people that knew him view that treatment.
----------
I think he should have told his superiors in advance, only because he was teaching at a Catholic school and obviously a gay teacher goes against their beliefs. He didn't respect their beliefs but expected them to respect his.
Outstanding.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194851 Dec 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Sun sets at 11:30 p.m. Today is longest of the year.
Windy, cold, beautiful.
Kayaked among gorgeous, ice blue glaciers. People simple, warm, sincere.
Town of 7,000, mixed-race, indigenous/white. Dogs roam the streets. Everything very cheap. Incredible seafood--fish, king crab, scallops. Sheep ranches. Guanacos roam. Rheas all over.
Huge cattle ranches.
It's a paradise, but remote. Lots of rivers, ice floes, glaciers. Excellent beer.
I hadda do a double take at the 11:30 PM thing. That's cool and nuts and the same time.

Sounds like a paradise.

Could you see yourself living there or just vacationing?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#194852 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Negative.
This post you replied to was not about marriage, but about sex, sin.
Your "And yet Christians are against same sex marriage" is meaningless to my post.
Actually, it's very relevant. Sex outside of marriage is what you claim is the "sin".

Tell me, what would the sin be if people were having sex within the boundaries of marriage, from the Christian perspective?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 33 min Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 5 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 5 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 14 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 15 hr Chiclets 23,039
Our world came from nothing? 17 hr _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE