Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247239 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#194755 Dec 21, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> When did you go drinking with Buck?
How many scoops doe it take to get Buck out the pitcher?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194756 Dec 21, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
…and, of course, his comments about those happy go lucky blacks in the pre-civil rights era South.
HA HA What?!?

He talked about black folks he knows or has met.

The dude's not that old.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194757 Dec 21, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
You're not a homophobe. You can walk right up to them and insult them.
Having a pro-gay marriage stance does not make one pro-gay.

Having an anti-gay marriage stance does does not make one anti-gay.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194758 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are or were a medical doctor.
I worked in a morgue.
I weighed Christians, Muslims, Rastafarians, Atheists, whatever.
It was a drug thing mostly.
Weigh them in and weigh them out. Large discrepancies should be noted and reported.
I was told to look for contraband.
I found the same amount of drugs in a body as I did a soul.
I applied to medical school. Also law school. Also diesel mechanic school.

They said they appreciated the application, but did not feel the institutions were a fit for me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194759 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
"We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus — whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"
He didn't terrorize me at all. He's free to think and say what he wants. A&E is free to fire him for that if they want. I would expect nothing less from him considering his pastor came out as saying he agreed with what Phil said. Students learn from their teachers.
Ah, yes. Students DO learn from their teachers.

You exalted the gay Catholic teacher for coming out and teaches all the kids that it's ok to stand up for what you believe in.

You condemn the Phil guy for doing the same thing.

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194760 Dec 21, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The word, as concocted, could not possibly be describing treatment of gays as inferior.
It is a prefix and a suffix, one meaning "human, or same", the other meaning "irrational fear".
The prefix was chosen because it is found in "homosexual", so there is its identification.
The suffix was chosen because "phobia" connotes a negative, irrational quality.
Presto - a made-up word to serve as a partial shield from criticism.
It's not a word - it's a strategy.
Fear of spiders - arachnophobia.

Fear of tight spaces - claustrophobia.

Fear of Chuck Norris - logic.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194761 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Hush, tard. We're trying to talk here.
I'm sorry.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194762 Dec 21, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
You said it means "fear of humans". While that would be nice, it isn't true.
Homo is the Latin for man, from whence comes the scientific name Homo sapiens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Homo+sapiens
In Greek, homo means "same as".
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homo -
The most notorious word that comes from that is homosexual, but there are many others. Homogenous, homocentric, homogenised, homoeopathy and homophone.
Homonym.
Homomorphic.
Homophile.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194763 Dec 21, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Right and wrong is as objective as the laws of gravity.
Yes, I know what you have been taught. I rejected it before, and I still do.
lightbeamrider wrote:
By the way, i am still waiting for your answer to my question regarding the two examples of slave revolt in the Old Testament.
Are you referring to http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ? I answered you at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... I did not answer your question of two explicit examples of rape because it was irrelevant. Perhaps I should have indicated as much, but your use of phrases like, "How stupid is that," "You are a biblical illiterate," "You only desire is to bash scripture" and "whine" left me a little disgusted with you. I don't really care what you think of me, and I don't appreciate you second guessing my motives, especially in so uncharitable a manner.

I don't care about two specific examples of rape or the fates of the rapists in them. I asked you about the multiple examples of the bible god ordering rape, which you dispatched by noticing that I copied and pasted the references from a site that researched the subject and collected them together for me.

I understand that you consider criticism of your beliefs, your church, faith, the bible and your god grounds for retaliation with personal attacks, but I don't. And in this particular case, the comment of mine that set you off was actually quite empathetic: "I realize that this is not of your choosing. You just wanted to be a good guy and do the right thing, which you were told was to have faith in a god, not argue in support rape and slavery. But look at what that choice requires of you to defend."

Sorry if that embarrasses you or makes you uncomfortable, but that's what we're here for: to discuss ideas. You're conversing with unbelievers that don't share your values, and don't respect what you consider sacred. If that is unacceptable to you,perhaps you should consider other activities.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#194764 Dec 21, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth. My wife, again 8 years before we met also was a hardcore drug user. She did it all. The same night she became a Christian when she left the life I speak of she also never again touched the drugs, never again got drunk. Strange that while some in certain circles say they are for people making better life choices if a person stands and gives glory to God they will spend a lifetime trying to tear it down. Scratch that, its not strange its exactly as the Lord say it will be. All glory to Him.
,, in absentia ..

Whoa is you.

xxoo, Catcher
Bongo

Coram, NY

#194765 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry.
Flagrant wimp

Fennario

#194766 Dec 21, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
By the way, i am still waiting for your answer to my question regarding the two examples of slave revolt in the Old Testament.
You don't have much ground to complain about questions going unanswered. You're not so good at responding to posts yourself.

There are 8 posts to you beginning at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... (695, 696, 697, 702, 703, 704, 706, 708 ) You answered one at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... (746), in which you used the word "whine" again, and implied that I deserved bad things.

I answered you at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... , and in the three posts following that one (808, 809, 810 and 811). You responded to one of them at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... (840), and called me a liar in your first few words.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Most if us simply don't care what you think Jesus calls a sin,
lightbeamrider wrote:
Obviously. Most of the non believers here do not care about love mutual respect, tolerance, honesty because they are poisoned with hate and will only depict the church as an evil. Your great at that

Fine, but we still don't care about the values peculiar to Christianity, and don't think much about how Christians ignore the ones we have in common, like the Golden Rule. I treat you as I would like to be treated. You don't do the same for me.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194767 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
It's MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!
How'm I doin, RR?
*wipes a single tear*

I'm very proud.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194768 Dec 21, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Unbelievable.
I know.

How do they expect us to find rubber pants in our size?!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#194769 Dec 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole show is fake.
Google duck dynasty fake, and you'll get to see them all preppied up-frosted tips and all.
.. watched it one time. That was enough ..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194770 Dec 21, 2013
That's not the message I received. For all I know, the people that fired Duckman shared his religious views and made a business decision.
What??

Oh, c'mon. Why must you bring that cursed logic?
Do you think that they don't or shouldn't have that right?
They should have that right.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194771 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll be curious to see how our Christian friends on this thread react to this story.
I think the message that this and the Duckman thing are each sending is that the public doesn't approve of these Christian's treatment of gay people.
Treatment? Phil hasn't treated gays to anything.

Fennario

#194772 Dec 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2 4277120/churches-using-gps-to- keep-track-of-baby-jesus#axzz2 o4PIuUzG
Churches are having to turn to technology to protect property.
I would think that prayer and the Holy Spirit would be enough. It looks like they trust science to protect them more. Go figure.

These are the areas where the truth about faith shines through its threadbare fabric. If faith is the substance of things hoped for, then faith has no substance. They put their trust in GPS.

“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence”- Doug McLeod

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194773 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I just don't think there's as many homophobe Christians as you think and I certainly don't think there's any underlying homophobic Christian massage, as you do.
So then the fact that Duckman and the Archdiocese of Seattle that suspended the gay teacher are all Christians is just a coincidence? They didn't learn these attitudes from their religious training?
Disagreeing with gays or gay marriage is not an irrational fear.

It's an opposing expression.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194774 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. watched it one time. That was enough ..
I think I man

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 min JustASkeptic 12,439
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 1 hr Reason Personified 45
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr Reason Personified 14,712
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr -Stray Dog 47,756
Proof of God for the Atheist 4 hr Uncle Sam 96
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 4 hr True Christian wi... 2
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 9 hr thetruth 16
More from around the web