Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194770 Dec 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
That's not the message I received. For all I know, the people that fired Duckman shared his religious views and made a business decision.
What??

Oh, c'mon. Why must you bring that cursed logic?
Do you think that they don't or shouldn't have that right?
They should have that right.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194771 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll be curious to see how our Christian friends on this thread react to this story.
I think the message that this and the Duckman thing are each sending is that the public doesn't approve of these Christian's treatment of gay people.
Treatment? Phil hasn't treated gays to anything.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194772 Dec 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2 4277120/churches-using-gps-to- keep-track-of-baby-jesus#axzz2 o4PIuUzG
Churches are having to turn to technology to protect property.
I would think that prayer and the Holy Spirit would be enough. It looks like they trust science to protect them more. Go figure.

These are the areas where the truth about faith shines through its threadbare fabric. If faith is the substance of things hoped for, then faith has no substance. They put their trust in GPS.

“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence”- Doug McLeod

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194773 Dec 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I just don't think there's as many homophobe Christians as you think and I certainly don't think there's any underlying homophobic Christian massage, as you do.
So then the fact that Duckman and the Archdiocese of Seattle that suspended the gay teacher are all Christians is just a coincidence? They didn't learn these attitudes from their religious training?
Disagreeing with gays or gay marriage is not an irrational fear.

It's an opposing expression.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194774 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. watched it one time. That was enough ..
I think I man

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194775 Dec 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I think I man
I think I managed almost a minute.
davy

Spring, TX

#194776 Dec 21, 2013
Before I found the lord, I was strung out on drugs. But now that I've found the lord. Now i'm strung out on the lord!
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth. My wife, again 8 years before we met also was a hardcore drug user. She did it all. The same night she became a Christian when she left the life I speak of she also never again touched the drugs, never again got drunk. Strange that while some in certain circles say they are for people making better life choices if a person stands and gives glory to God they will spend a lifetime trying to tear it down. Scratch that, its not strange its exactly as the Lord say it will be. All glory to Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194777 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's remarkable that you seem to have no idea what we're talking about. See if you can discern a message in either of these:
[1]“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” Then, while claiming not to be judge mental, Robertson even put gay people in the same category as terrorists. "We never, ever judge someone on who's going to heaven, hell. That's the Almighty's job," he says. "We just love 'em, give 'em the good news about Jesus — whether they're homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort 'em out later, you see what I'm saying?"
http://www.businessinsider.com/duck-dynasty-s...
[2] http://gawker.com/students-shut-down-school-a...
The culture is telling you to rethink this attitudes, or keep it to yourselves.
And here is the Christian message about atheists, the last group to object to being demeaned this way:
[3] "Why There Is No Such Thing as a Good Atheist " Pastor Rick Henderson
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pastor-rick-hen...
The Christian community would be going ballistic if it read a comment like this about Christians. You can see why we don't respect your church or think much of its claims for itself about love or respecting the Golden Rule.
Or maybe you can't.
IANS, to be homophobic is to have hatred or an irrational fear of homosexuals.

Neither the Christian church not Phil nor Christians in general hate or fear homosexuals.

The Phil guy is expressing his views of Biblical law, he wasn't comparing gays to terrorists or terrorists to drunks. He was implying that no matter the sin, no matter how "big or small " that sin, it's still a sin.

In a nutshell, the view he's expressing is you can murder, cheat on taxes, have extra-marital sex, abuse alcohol, etc and you're sinning.

He's not saying that gays are just like terrorists.

Fennario

#194778 Dec 21, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Chris Clearwater wrote:
I do agree that money is the false god for most that's all A&E cares about.
Agree with whom? I didn't say that. Please don't post your religious ideas as if I said them. I don't expect businesses to care about anything but profits, and I reject the idea that an object of desire should be called a god or that its pursuit be called worshiping.

As for money and false gods, community churches are also businesses, which is why there are as many of them as banks, fast food restaurants and gas stations.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194779 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
We don't need Christians to tell us about those things, and we sure don't want it preached at us, especially by the likes of the Christian church. If teaching morality is done by example -and it is - the church is doing a piss poor job of it. What it teaches by its example is hypocrisy.
Oh well.

I don't want a gay teacher teaching my kids how awesome it is to be gay.

But I have to.

It's part of freedom and free will.

I don't want to silence the gay teacher, I want him free to fully express his ideals and views.

And I want the Christian teacher to be able to do the same.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Safety Harbor, FL

#194780 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I would think that prayer and the Holy Spirit would be enough. It looks like they trust science to protect them more. Go figure.
These are the areas where the truth about faith shines through its threadbare fabric. If faith is the substance of things hoped for, then faith has no substance. They put their trust in GPS.
“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence”- Doug McLeod
This is all the proof I need to show you don't have a clue. Last week I read an account of a Christian woman that sang as those that hated God set her on fire. She trusted the very Holy Spirit you waste your life in battle against. See how that works? She was killed by the way by very religious people all those years ago. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Fennario

#194781 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Testify Brother, Testify. AMEN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nl_8r7WG3g4XX
LOL, That's some mighty bad dancing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194782 Dec 21, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand. I comprehend.
I'm talking about young people. 25 and under. I'm one of them.
I know the Christians don't understand the scope of this and I'm not sure that you do either. Young people are abandoning the the church. We know the problem but we'd rather let our parents and grandparents die with their beliefs before we let it fall.
The foundation is propped up by our goodwill and respect.
"Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'
The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin'
And the first one now will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'" ~ Dylan, duh
You know what? I don't understand.

I don't understand the lack of respect kids have for their parents these days.

This song you posted says it all.

Parents can't understand that their kids are beyond their command?

I can't go along with that.

The Bible has taught me an important rule; to honor the mother and father.

I like that one better.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194783 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. ratings Buck, ratings, free publicity is wonderful ..
.. A & E only 'suspended' the Pill and during the past few days they've showed reruns of DUCK DYNASTY every night ..
.. you're right. To the delight of Christians and an increased viewership, the Redneck will return. I call the controversy fake ..
Did you capitalize Redneck because of RR?

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#194784 Dec 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I man
Tarzan? lol

Safety Harbor, FL

#194785 Dec 21, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
,, in absentia ..
Whoa is you.
xxoo, Catcher
That reminds me of something Pastor Ken Hutcherson said once. He died this week btw. He said he was the gayest person he knows. Your and Catcher's crap repeated often as you just did here don't make it any more true. I'm good.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194786 Dec 21, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Flagrant wimp
I know you ain't talkin to me, son.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194787 Dec 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Most church people don't believe the story themselves.

I think that is fortunate.

Safety Harbor, FL

#194788 Dec 21, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post194656
<quoted text>
Agree with whom? I didn't say that. Please don't post your religious ideas as if I said them. I don't expect businesses to care about anything but profits, and I reject the idea that an object of desire should be called a god or that its pursuit be called worshiping.
As for money and false gods, community churches are also businesses, which is why there are as many of them as banks, fast food restaurants and gas stations.
This also shows you don't know much about business. A good business will of course care about profits but also people. Its employees and its customers. My wife works at one of the top ones in the nation as ranked by its own employees. This is a public board and each of us can post our thoughts. It is my thinking that for man he will either serve the one and only true God or a false one. For many that false god is money ( mammon, riches) Don't like what I say? Scroll.

Fennario

#194789 Dec 21, 2013
"If you plant ice, you're going to harvest wind."
lightbeamrider wrote:
+ LOL. You are just full of self justification. Quoting Garcia..
Garcia didn't write those words, but he did sing them.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You must not believe in the 1st amendment. View the 1st amendment as tolerating the intolerant.
I believe many things, but I believe in nothing. I leave that to faith based thinkers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 min It aint necessari... 24,805
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 21 min IB DaMann 5,808
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 40 min Hedonist Heretic 1,666
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 43 min IB DaMann 52,034
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 1 hr NOM s Waffle House 206
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr _Susan_ 22,140
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 3 hr thetruth 158
More from around the web