Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#194175 Dec 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
A great example of which is an Alfa in the Milan rush hour.
<quoted text>
Yes and great to watch. There is very little that can match the intricate skill required.

But bugger Milan, try Naples

The mayor of Naples once said of traffic lights,“Green is for go, Red is for go with caution and Amber, well amber looks so pretty”

#194176 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Christinemc^2, science didn't do any of that.
Science has no brain, central nervous system, or appendages for grasping.
It has no imagination for orienting itself toward ideas of innovation.
Humans did those things.
I know you like to think of science as a living entity, and life as it's incarnation on earth.
But it did not happen that way. Get over your religion.
Yeah right buck, whatever makes you feel good about your god magic

You have no frigging comprehension of how I consider science.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194177 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
What does bother me is the one sided tolerance I’m seeing from the left. Phil Robertson, the patriarch in A&E's "Duck Dynasty,” Answers a few questions and one of those was his personal views on homosexuality. He shares his views and now he’s suspended. But Bill Maher, David Letterman, Alec Baldwin, can say whatever they want and nothing happens to them. Calling conservative women sluts, whores or whatever. So it seems if one expresses their freedom of speech they are rewarded by being punished? Especially if they express their views against homosexuality. Isn’t that what this country was founded on, freedom?
What's your beef? Mr. Robertson was free to express himself, and did. And A & E were also free to express themselves, and did. Neither was arrested. That's what freedom of speech guarantees, not freedom from any and all repercussions. Accountability, man!

If you're a public personality, you are selling yourself. Give the people a product they want, and they'll make you rich and famous. Offend them, and not so much. Ask Paula Deen

Anyway, instead of Christians telling us how they and their church are not homophobic and then finding out how much the non-Christian public disagrees with them, maybe a better strategy would be to recognize what the public's opinion is at some point and adapt to it, especially those with the most to lose.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I hate hypocrisy and nothing edifies it more the left wing liberals. It seems they think they are the only ones with the right of freedom of speech. I hope Phil gets his job back and the network learns a lesson.
A & E is "a joint venture between Hearst Corporation and Disney-ABC Television Group, a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company," which places it just to the right of Attila the Hun.

Perhaps you missed the stink in 2004 when Michael Moore and the Weinstein brothers released Moore’s documentary Fahrenheit 911, which was very critical of George Bush. The Weinsteins were under contract with Miramax, a Disney subsidiary, and so Disney tried to kill it by trying to prevent its distribution. Here's that story:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/disney_stops...

That's not all. Here’s Disney at it again, trying to block the release of a made-for-TV miniseries on 911 http://variety.com/2008/biz/opinion/clinton-d...

Is that the left wing liberalism that you meant?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#194178 Dec 20, 2013
They move like shoals of fish. Impressive.

Italy became a lot safer when the law changed in favour of the pedestrian being assumed to be in the right. Now you can cross whenever you want, it's the driver's job to weave around you on the zebras. They really don't want to hit you, it'll cost them thousands, but stopping is still not an option!
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and great to watch. There is very little that can match the intricate skill required.
But bugger Milan, try Naples
The mayor of Naples once said of traffic lights,“Green is for go, Red is for go with caution and Amber, well amber looks so pretty”

Fennario

#194179 Dec 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I hate hypocrisy and nothing edifies it more the left wing liberals. It seems they think they are the only ones with the right of freedom of speech
Just Think wrote:
Bill Maher and David Letterman are comedians. Alec Baldwin lost his job because of his mouth. So did Martin Bashir when he slammed Sarah Palin. Nice try, though...
Maher was fired from Politically Incorrect for his comments about 911.

"Politically Incorrect" Host is Fired for Being Politically Incorrect"
http://www.bongonews.com/layout1.php...

Here's what he said:

Damned left wing media! Always picking on the poor, beleaguered conservatives. "It seems they think they are the only ones with the right of freedom of speech."

#194180 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are suggesting I embark on a mulit-year formal education to have them answer a question that they admit they cannot answer?
I've seen some of those theories.
Krauss said something came from nothing because nothing is not nothing. Hawking said the universe caused itself to exist.
Nah. I'll pass. It's too much like Dr. Seuss.
You want to educate yourself than it can be a really a great goal in your life (as opposed to jail in your life)

I bet you have not looked at Andrai Linde’s or Laura Mersini-Houghton’s or Lee Smolin’s ideas. All are mathematically feasible. The Mersini-Houghton take on creation of the universe also accounts for the several anomalies observable in this universe including the CMB hot spots and the parts of the universe where the motion is not as it should be.

There are several ideas of something coming form nothing, on a small quantum scale this is observable, You cannot cite solely the atomic scale and expect complex sub atomic answers (or in your case non answers). I do of course realise this is all way beyond you which is why I suggested education, If nothing else it will equip you with facts you can use to argue with.

Hawking has a long time to think about things but his “caused itself to exist” is only one of the ideas he has proposed. An idea quantum physics understands and can show as feasible
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#194181 Dec 20, 2013
GWB said we need to get tougher on suicide bombers with not even a hint of irony.
I always thought they were pretty tough on themselves.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Maher was fired from Politically Incorrect for his comments about 911.
"Politically Incorrect" Host is Fired for Being Politically Incorrect"
http://www.bongonews.com/layout1.php...
Here's what he said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =brI6b77x19AXX
Damned left wing media! Always picking on the poor, beleaguered conservatives. "It seems they think they are the only ones with the right of freedom of speech."

Fennario

#194182 Dec 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ok, goofball. You wanna ignore the obvious.
Theism:
n.
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx... .
What's the opposite of that? It's the lack of "[b]elief in the existence of a god or gods," with or without any positive assertion that they don't or can't exist, or that they might.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#194183 Dec 20, 2013
Laura Mersini-Houghton looks very like my Uni housemate. We still holiday each year. I keep expecting her to theorise about what happened before the big bang(s) but we usually end up talking about politics and shoes instead.

Time to rewatch that Horizon again.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to educate yourself than it can be a really a great goal in your life (as opposed to jail in your life)
I bet you have not looked at Andrai Linde’s or Laura Mersini-Houghton’s or Lee Smolin’s ideas. All are mathematically feasible. The Mersini-Houghton take on creation of the universe also accounts for the several anomalies observable in this universe including the CMB hot spots and the parts of the universe where the motion is not as it should be.
There are several ideas of something coming form nothing, on a small quantum scale this is observable, You cannot cite solely the atomic scale and expect complex sub atomic answers (or in your case non answers). I do of course realise this is all way beyond you which is why I suggested education, If nothing else it will equip you with facts you can use to argue with.
Hawking has a long time to think about things but his “caused itself to exist” is only one of the ideas he has proposed. An idea quantum physics understands and can show as feasible
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194184 Dec 20, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The "changeling child" would be more believable than God banging his own mom so he could kill himself for a few hours.

Look at you,while a little guy with a big mouth and a big guitar,now go on to bed,just another nut with nothing to say,change your photo dude you look like one of those ameba you claim you came from!Nah wait come over here to the Deep South we will show you a little Southern Hospitality!
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194185 Dec 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right buck, whatever makes you feel good about your god magic
You have no frigging comprehension of how I consider science.
Hey Buck,don't fight with this chick,she looks like she's already kicked the ole bucket!

Fennario

#194186 Dec 20, 2013
Outrage wrote:
Texas,The Great State Of Texas
Quelle surprise.

[My apologies to Riverside Redneck. Please excuse my French]
Outrage wrote:
,guess I am a little hostile,but that guy makes my skin crawl. He likes to use his big words,and I believe he wants people to think he's intelligent
Are you talking about me, Tex? I don't care if you think I'm intelligent any more than you care what people think about your intelligence. You couldn't possibly care about that, right?

You're not that guy from Duck Dynasty are you? He's a Christian that sounds just like you. You all do your culture proud.

Fennario

#194187 Dec 20, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
I did at university. It was interesting how sociology contradicted psychology. Individuals and group dynamics are very different. The person who would never do something alone will easily do so as part of a group. It is a reason that otherwise sane and loving individuals can become cold blooded killers if the group says it is OK. It is the primary training of all military personnel as well as other groups..
Interesting stuff. We see something similar in these threads.

Fennario

#194188 Dec 20, 2013
Outrage wrote:
One more thing,this crap of evolution,why did we stop evolving?You people are out there way out there,kinda think DNA left you with skinned asses,every time you come up with something new,science throws a wrench in your cogs.
This kind of posting is no longer necessary for you. Your credentials as a Texas Christian schooled in science by apologetics web sites are already well established and secure.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194189 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
There is no such possibility.
Actual infinity does not and cannot exist.
What is the actual number of spatial volumes just prior to infinite?
Whatever it is, add one. It's still finite. Add another. It is still finite. Add another. It is still finite. Continue as long as you like - the result is finite. It will always be so.
Your problem is a common one among materialists. You think because something results from theoretical math, it is therefore real.
Get over your religion.
"Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"
-French mathematician Henri Poincare
How many ways can a string vibrate?

#194190 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
There is no such possibility.
Actual infinity does not and cannot exist.
What is the actual number of spatial volumes just prior to infinite?
Whatever it is, add one. It's still finite. Add another. It is still finite. Add another. It is still finite. Continue as long as you like - the result is finite. It will always be so.
Your problem is a common one among materialists. You think because something results from theoretical math, it is therefore real.
Get over your religion.
"Actual infinity does not exist. What we call infinite is only the endless possibility of creating new objects no matter how many exist already"
-French mathematician Henri Poincare
YES

There is the possibility

Actually I must admit that I too once thought exactly the same thing however science and mathematics has moved on in the last few years, try following it.

Logic dictates that you can always add 1 to any conceived number (there is the hint,‘conceived’)

Measuring space may require mathematics but input data is pure factual reality and the result is the result of pure factual reality combined with rational logic, i.e. Euclidean geometry shows that only if a triangle is completely flat will the sum of it’s angles measure 180 degrees. Describe that triangle on a curve and 180 degrees goes out the window.

However using your declaration that there is no infinity, then can I ask why you believe in the infinity of your god?

Henri Poincare died in 1912, are you saying his understanding of modern cosmology, quantum mechanics (which was not described back then) or particle physics (which was still in it’s infancy back then) should outweigh that of people like Brian Cox, Bob Nochol, Neil Turok, Michio Kaku and others?

My goodness, no wonder you consider bronze age guesswork so highly

Fennario

#194191 Dec 20, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I've never seen anybody so determined to be excellently creepy as you.
There's my little rectovaginal fistula. Who do you think you're fooling with that avatar? You posted your picture in the past, remember? You look like Ed Asner.

#194192 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Science has no brain, central nervous system, or appendages for grasping.
Humans did that.
Get over your religion. And get off your knees.
YES

The discipline of science is comprised of human beings and human beings have brains

Or are you suggesting the hillbilly rednecks of little intelligence are responsible for genetic engineering?

Fennario

#194193 Dec 20, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Haven't you heard...the great and glorious Army of Darkness is motivated (by "what" nobody knows) to ensure that when mankind finally goes extinct that atheists outnumber Christians. What a pointless hoot, huh? Like it will matter in this vastly cold, shivering cosmos as to "exactly" WHO believed WHAT in the end. Maybe Saturn will care.....lol.
Army of Darkness? Ask your doctor if Geodon is right for you.

#194194 Dec 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Requiring energy is not the same as being converted from energy, or arising from energy.
Perhaps you should learn English. If you aren't too stupid.
Your theory relies on quantitative limits of energy conversion.
That's not the same as "power", and does not limit the concept of omnipotence.
I would like to see you explain how the definition of power as involving "effectiveness" is bound by quantitative measurement of energy. You cannot.
You are a moron.
There is NOTHING (that’s N O T H I N G) in this universe that did not arise from energy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christianity Created Hitler 4 min Uncle Sam 74
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min One way or another 14,415
Our world came from nothing? (Jul '14) 49 min thetruth 1,225
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr Thinking 273
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 3 hr Thinking 37
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 3 hr Thinking 17
God' existence 3 hr Thinking 152
More from around the web