Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#194065 Dec 19, 2013
If only you believed in a more equitable god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
With all your airline flights, you put out more toxic waste into the atmosphere than I will in my lifetime.
Enjoy your kayaking.
Don't pretend that it's guilt-free.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#194066 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I never had sociology in high school or university. Didn't get into any fights in either.
I did at university. It was interesting how sociology contradicted psychology. Individuals and group dynamics are very different. The person who would never do something alone will easily do so as part of a group.
It is a reason that otherwise sane and loving individuals can become cold blooded killers if the group says it is OK. It is the primary training of all military personnel as well as other groups..
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194067 Dec 19, 2013
One more thing,this crap of evolution,why did we stop evolving?You people are out there way out there,kinda think DNA left you with skinned asses,every time you come up with something new,science throws a wrench in your cogs.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#194068 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>....
Self-actualization enables us to look at ourselves as an object to be made more excellent.
I've never seen anybody so determined to be excellently creepy as you.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194070 Dec 19, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious people are using free speech to demand the right to be predjuced and oppressive.
All the while bitching about us nasty atheists pointing out the obvious flaws in their beliefs.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#194071 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Why did you throw in a Hebrew word in the middle of adult English written post?

Yahweh is just the Hebrew word for God, like Dios is God in Spanish and Dieu in French.

To write "I still say that Yahweh is the married bachelor of gods" is just as silly as saying "I still say that Gott is the married bachelor of gods".

You're arbitrarily throwing in a foreign word. Why?
It was his character's name in the story you haven't read, in the babble. He, yaweh, also did his own mom. Gross.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#194072 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor,
Your argument and presentation has improved on the subject of evolution of mankind. As I stated previously there may have been prototypes as God fined tuned his creation. My belief will never change in that In the beginning God created…..
I would like for you to ponder a moment and review the Plant Hopper Insect,“Issus coleoptratus.” You have an analytical mind. Mechanical gears can only point to a supreme designer and engineer. There’s no way that happenstance and natural selection came up with a mechanical gear.
The same for the Venus Fly Trap. With it’s internal relay logic. It’s a machine Doctor just like the Plant Hopper Insect. There’s evidence of a supreme designer.
Once again you see something familiar in nature and automatically try and make a connection to man made mechanical devises. Evolution comes up with al sorts of amazing things like how the octopus can suddenly disappear by manipulating its appearance. The flying squirrel that has "evolved" the extra skin between its legs and sides, the arrow fish that used a jet of water and an ocular system to account for the surface angel to shot insects into the water.
The Venus fly trap evolved from a plant that used a sugary substance to trap insects like fly paper. This plant grew in very nutrient poor soil and grew stinted, in order to grow more robust it needed to supplement it's nutrient intake with insects.*OVER TIME* a great deal of time, it evolved a more efficient way to capture live prey. It doesn't have an "internal relay logic" your applying human labels to something purely natural. It evolved these hairs to be sensitive and to trigger the leaves to shut. There are plants who's leaves instantly shrivel and close when touched, it's an evolved protection system.
Now what mechanical labels are you going to affix to the arrow fish, or the octopus, the flying squirrel, the leaf cutter ants that *construct* bridges, the African termites who's mound have central air conditioning, the trap door spider?

Its ALL evolution, change over time, natural selection, there is no need for as supreme creator, nature does just fine all by itself

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#194073 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote, "A question that was not answered satisfactorily. A question that demands a non-bigoted answer. Care to try?"

LuciFerr wrote, "Because christians lobby against human rights that homosexuals should have, tell them they're going to the christian imaginary hell "

Agreed, but I'm afraid our friend Riverside Redneck considers us bigots for mentioning these things.

Christians have a terrible public relations problem, and the preferred method of dealing with it - denial coupled with mirror image counter-accusations - is probably only compounding the credibility problem. But what's a believer to do?
Lobotomy? Wait. Too late.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#194074 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>What the...
App Store -- topix app -- free -- install.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#194075 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas,The Great State Of Texas,guess I am a little hostile,but that guy makes my skin crawl.
He likes to use his big words,and I believe he wants people to think he's intelligent,it takes more faith to believe you came from a monkey,are some damn ameba,but maybe he did who knows,as for the rest of us,pretty sure it is intelligent design.
I'm tired of there same old rhetoric,they don't believe in God but they sure don't stop talking about Him,now do they?
Haven't you heard...the great and glorious Army of Darkness is motivated (by "what" nobody knows) to ensure that when mankind finally goes extinct that atheists outnumber Christians. What a pointless hoot, huh? Like it will matter in this vastly cold, shivering cosmos as to "exactly" WHO believed WHAT in the end. Maybe Saturn will care.....lol.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194076 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does bother me is the one sided tolerance I’m seeing from the left. Phil Robertson, the patriarch in A&E's "Duck Dynasty,” Answers a few questions and one of those was his personal views on homosexuality.
He shares his views and now he’s suspended. But Bill Maher, David Letterman, Alec Baldwin, can say whatever they want and nothing happens to them. Calling conservative women sluts, whores or whatever.
So it seems if one expresses their freedom of speech they are rewarded by being punished? Especially if they express their views against homosexuality. Isn’t that what this country was founded on, freedom?
I hate hypocrisy and nothing edifies it more the left wing liberals. It seems they think they are the only ones with the right of freedom of speech. I hope Phil gets his job back and the network learns a lesson.
Yep your right about all you said,but at the end of the day they are still wrong and we are right.I hope he does as well,he has a page on Facebook wouldn't hurt you to join,they are going up against the liberal A&E Network.Im just sick of their same ole crap,come up with something new,but they can't so they go on and on,Dawkins is a nut spewed out of hell,that's their golden boy,what a laugh..Let them come on over to the South and we will send their liberal asses packing,no bull crap here,and no crybabies..Guess I get a little mad but reading some of their nonsense gets me all riled up,as we say here in the Great State of Texas,keep on buddy,your a thorn in their backside....

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194077 Dec 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If only you believed in a more equitable god.
<quoted text>
The belief of Catcher or myself has nothing to do with our individual carbon footprints.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194078 Dec 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I did at university. It was interesting how sociology contradicted psychology. Individuals and group dynamics are very different. The person who would never do something alone will easily do so as part of a group.
It is a reason that otherwise sane and loving individuals can become cold blooded killers if the group says it is OK. It is the primary training of all military personnel as well as other groups..
History, language, archeology, psychology, sociology AND military training...

Wow, you've accomplished do much!

You sure you're not a Topix Atheist!?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194079 Dec 19, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I've never seen anybody so determined to be excellently creepy as you.
You don't own any mirrors?

Can't say I'm surprised.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194080 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
It was his character's name in the story you haven't read, in the babble. He, yaweh, also did his own mom. Gross.
My God, the Christian God, had no mother.

My God, the Christian God, has no name.

"Yahweh" is just a Hebrew word that means "god", it is not a name for the Christian God.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194081 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
App Store -- topix app -- free -- install.
I did, thanks for that.

I deleted it though. It sucks.

No ads, but a completely strange interface.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#194082 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
One more thing,this crap of evolution,why did we stop evolving?You people are out there way out there,kinda think DNA left you with skinned asses,every time you come up with something new,science throws a wrench in your cogs.
What?

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#194083 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I did, thanks for that.

I deleted it though. It sucks.

No ads, but a completely strange interface.
*face palm*
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#194084 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe in a god, God.
Please show me the definition of theist where one must believe in all gods.
And don't use the Topix Atheist! handbook.
<quoted text>
Ok, goofball. You wanna ignore the obvious.
Theism:
n.
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx...
A person does not need to believe in every god ever thought up to be a theist.
An Atheist REJECTS God, or Gods. All you have to do to be an Atheists is to REJECT just one God. Welcome to the wonderful guilt free world of Atheism.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#194085 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>My God, the Christian God, had no mother.

My God, the Christian God, has no name.

"Yahweh" is just a Hebrew word that means "god", it is not a name for the Christian God.
Just read the freaken book dude.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Even Steven 2,607
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Morse 23,241
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 4 hr Richardfs 166
God' existence 5 hr polymath257 84
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 9 hr Mikko 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr Mikko 1,452
Evidence for God! 10 hr Morse 369
More from around the web