Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244929 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#194011 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
How's my girlfriend Hiding?
The better question is; Why is she hiding?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194012 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Thanks for the lead. I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KdocQHsPCNMXX
British humour is strange... Did he really need the background guys?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#194013 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Good idea. We could honor Moon Day by throwing cayenne pepper at the celebrants and shouting, "Seasons Uranus!" I see a future for this in Vegas, Key West, and New Orleans.
Also in the spirit of people coming together, I propose a new holiday tradition that will combine the traditions of two great religions - Christians, with their kissing under the mistletoe, and Muslims, with their camels. Tell me what you think, Buck ... kissing under the cameltoe. I see a lot of good coming from this one as well.
Yeah. I can dig it.

It's that time of year - time to start wearing my mistletoe belt buckle.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#194014 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I already know the answer.
Yes, gays deserve the support of society.
I also think they can have that support without legal matrimony.
And losing marriage as we know it, I think something important is lost - the idea that the best foundation for families raising children is where every child has one parent of the same sex, and one of the opposite sex, so that the examples of what it's like to be a man and a woman can be conveyed.
I also know that view is losing.
Marriage is a institution that is being mirrored as it was before Noah’s flood.

Matthew 24:38

“they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage:”

What happens when a bridge gives in? It collapse or fails.

This is a turbulent time for marriages. I would urge couples to not get married too early in life. At least be in your 20’s. Have a vocation or college degree for both spouses so that there will be a steady income. And last, go to church regularly and be longsuffering with one another.

Selfishness is often the root cause of many failures.

Location hidden

#194015 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text>

Ok Southern Boy,I'm in agreement with what u just said,your right about Hillary,but look at red nose cocaine Billy the Hope Arkansas Kid at the same time,both are a pos,don't give a rats ass,queers are perverts,that's the truth!Have a nice day you bunch of MORONS
Thanks. Always good to hear from the moderates.

Location hidden

#194016 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm also a Ricky Gervais and Eddie Izzard fan, and on the more serious side, Brian Cox.
Do you know of the late Bill Hicks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
No, but if you hum a few bars I'll try to pick it up.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194017 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I would have expected you to offer a few of those reasons without being asked.since I doubt that you merely want us to know that you reject such a notion, but might also like to see others do the same for whatever your reasons are.
<quoted text>
You seem to consider it inappropriate to use the power of calling hate hate even when the claim has merit. Why?
It ain't necessarily so,I wish you weren't necessarily so!
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#194018 Dec 19, 2013
Seen Ince, Izzard and Cox live. Ince and Cox present a science and comedy show on BBC Radio 4, maybe I've told you about it before. There are 47 .mp3s, all worth a download.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/timc

Loved Bill Hicks, shame he's gone. He was very well received in the UK. There's a little bit of him left in Denis Leary but Bill was a one off.
<quoted text>
I'm also a Ricky Gervais and Eddie Izzard fan, and on the more serious side, Brian Cox.
Do you know of the late Bill Hicks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#194019 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I would have expected you to offer a few of those reasons without being asked.since I doubt that you merely want us to know that you reject such a notion, but might also like to see others do the same for whatever your reasons are.
<quoted text>
You seem to consider it inappropriate to use the power of calling hate hate even when the claim has merit. Why?
I'm all in favor of calling hate hate.

But the tactic is used for lots of things that are not hate.

Criticism of President Obama, in many circles, is ASSUMED to be racist.

Opposing being forced to work and pay for some woman's birth control pills when you don't know her or have the chance to bone her is called hating women.

Opposing same-sex marriage is called hating gays.

It's a daily thing, and it's propaganda.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#194020 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
Bunch of nuts,always trying to disprove God,Can't do it huh...No intelligence here on this thread just a bunch of low life's,running around all mad because they know God really is who He said He is,The Great I Am!
Damn!

You figgered us out.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194021 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not hate Gays, ever.
Yea right,I don't hate them either,sure would like to send them to another planet,let's see about Uranus....

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#194023 Dec 19, 2013
Outrage wrote:
Bunch of nuts,always trying to disprove God,Can't do it huh...No intelligence here on this thread just a bunch of low life's,running around all mad because they know God really is who He said He is,The Great I Am!
You're on an atheism thread, Einstein.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194024 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Like the barbarous act of killing defenseless children because a woman wants to protect her "reproductive rights"?

[QUOTE who="LuciFerr"]But it's ok to kill children in a war for 'god and country'?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You have an evil mind to come up with nonsense like that.
Praise Sheesh.
Do you think you have a good argument here?

You just finished calling atheists bigots for thinking Christianity and many Christians were homophobic, and now you call someone evil for suggesting that children are killed by militaries right after your charged description of feticide.

You lose credibility when you call fetuses children, and also when you gratuitously throw in "defenseless." We know what they are we know they are defenseless. So are shrimp in a net.for about the same reason.

Sorry, but you don't seem to be able to guilt us with this stuff the way the church (and don't ask me for an address) guilts you with it. You keep trying, but we remain pro-choice. Apparently, most people don't have a problem with the concept without the coaching you got.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194025 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You just finished calling atheists bigots for thinking Christianity and many Christians were homophobic, and now you call someone evil for suggesting that children are killed by militaries right after your charged description of feticide.
You lose credibility when you call fetuses children, and also when you gratuitously throw in "defenseless." We know what they are we know they are defenseless. So are shrimp in a net.for about the same reason.
Sorry, but you don't seem to be able to guilt us with this stuff the way the church (and don't ask me for an address) guilts you with it. You keep trying, but we remain pro-choice. Apparently, most people don't have a problem with the concept without the coaching you got.
You lose credibility when you insist a fetus isn't someone's child. By all rights and purposes, it is.

I'm pro-choice also. I don't mean to determine what a person should or shouldn't do. It's choice, it's freedom.

But I won't turn my back and ignore the reality of it - killing a human.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194026 Dec 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you,Einstein,yes I am..Sorry what pond did u crawl out of scum,oh I think u said river

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#194027 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
X is described by Y in self-contradictory terms.
The description by Y does not allow the conclusion that X does not exist.
It allows 3 possible conclusions:
A. The description is accurate, and X does not exist, or
B. The description is inaccurate, but X still does not exist.
C. X exists, and the description by Y is erroneous.
In the case of biblical descriptions, we both already agree that they are inaccurate.
Seems then we have to agree they do not preclude the existence of X.
If we are free to vary Y's description without constraint, we can change it to the description of a horse, or a Buick, or a waterfall. They can all be X - anything that exists that Y misdescribed, which is anything that exists (or could exist, but we're limiting X to actually existing things, so we'll consider only those)..

How about X being a god? Well, we don't know if such things exist, but let's say they do. OK. So? Should I start prying to it? Or anything else?

So where is this going? You haven't made generic gods more likely, you haven't saved the Christian god - just some generic god or gods that can be anything except the one that the bible (Y) describes.

I still say that Yahweh is the married bachelor of gods. Can we agree that that one is out?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#194028 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
If we are free to vary Y's description without constraint, we can change it to the description of a horse, or a Buick, or a waterfall. They can all be X - anything that exists that Y misdescribed, which is anything that exists (or could exist, but we're limiting X to actually existing things, so we'll consider only those)..
How about X being a god? Well, we don't know if such things exist, but let's say they do. OK. So? Should I start prying to it? Or anything else?
So where is this going? You haven't made generic gods more likely, you haven't saved the Christian god - just some generic god or gods that can be anything except the one that the bible (Y) describes.
I still say that Yahweh is the married bachelor of gods. Can we agree that that one is out?
Why did you throw in a Hebrew word in the middle of adult English written post?

Yahweh is just the Hebrew word for God, like Dios is God in Spanish and Dieu in French.

To write "I still say that Yahweh is the married bachelor of gods" is just as silly as saying "I still say that Gott is the married bachelor of gods".

You're arbitrarily throwing in a foreign word. Why?

Location hidden

#194029 Dec 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>

Call me Albert. Please.
Outrage

Texarkana, TX

#194030 Dec 19, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You are one sick human being,I use that term lightly..Moron are subhuman,a fetus is a human being,unfortunately we have to live on the same planet as the likes of you,I have had with you and your kind always arguing if there is a God,if you don't believe there is a God then why do you keep talking about it...

Since: Sep 10

Santiago, Chile

#194031 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Catcher1 wrote:
Hey, bigot.
What's up?.
<quoted text>
That post from catcher was directed at me, he fancies me a bigot. I'm going to assume that this post of yours is subtly directed at me.
I'm going to repeat myself now, because it seems that the intellectuals here have year very short memories were very selective memories.
I don't want to restrict the rights of people to follow my way of life or my morals of my values. I am merely voicing my opinion about said way of life, morals and values.
You have admitted to racism.

That makes a bigot.

No way out.

Hi from Patagonia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min Knowledge- 10,836
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 min dirtclod 20,614
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineW 14,660
John 3:16 4 hr Shizle 77
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 9 hr NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 12 hr thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 17 hr Shizle 20
More from around the web