Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255551 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193909 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't say Happy Holidays.
You just did.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#193910 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christinemc^2, whatever caused the universe is not required to have originated with or within the universe, and is under no limitation of being derived from the energy in the universe.
Omnipotence does not mean unlimited universe energy.
I feel soiled in lowering my intellectual standards so low as to actually explain this to an adult, assuming you are an adult, Christinemc^2.
This is true however the energy in this universe is limited to this universe, If there is any energy outside this universe, no one knows. That of course does not stop godbots guessing.

So you have not looked up the meaning of omnipotent, fair enough, here let ,me make it easier for you

om·nip·o·tent (m-np-tnt)
adj.
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful. See Usage Note at infinite.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/omnipotence

omnipotent
adjective
(of a deity) having unlimited power:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...

om·nip·o·tent [om-nip-uh-tuhnt]
adjective
almighty or infinite in power, as God.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/omnipo...

Sorry butt crack but you sh|tting yourself it not really my problem

Location hidden

#193911 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Is that how you say RR with a dick in your mouth?
Sorry, RR. That was my fault.

#193912 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot assert that without knowing God's limits and without knowing the universe.
You know neither, so you can't make that blind assertion.
As I have said, your god is incidental, I did not write the babble.

The point the statement is E=MC^2

Limits do not matter

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193913 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't say Happy Holidays.
o.O
Grrr

You say Season's Greetings for a holiday that is not a Season.

I'm sure you wouldn't say Season's Greetings at a New Years party....

*watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve ....*

3.... 2.... 1....!!!!

Season's Greetings!!!

O__O

Location hidden

#193914 Dec 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
On the quiet Brian Cox is pretty scathing too but there is no humour there, just abject scorn.
I watched Robin Ince at the Nine Lessons and Carols gig do a little skit on funnymentalist –
Look it’s there right in front of you
Funnymentalst (turning away and covering eyes) I can’t see it so it can’t be there.
Picks object up and places in front of funnymentalist – Look right here.
Funnymentalst (turning away and covering eyes) I can’t see it so it can’t be there.
That sounds fabulous.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#193915 Dec 19, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Not Marla's.
Morals.
I don't know who Marla is.
Exotic dancer in Kansas City. The one in Kansas.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193916 Dec 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true however the energy in this universe is limited to this universe, If there is any energy outside this universe, no one knows. That of course does not stop godbots guessing.
So you have not looked up the meaning of omnipotent, fair enough, here let ,me make it easier for you
om·nip·o·tent (m-np-tnt)
adj.
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful. See Usage Note at infinite.
omnipotent
adjective
adjective
How much energy is in the universe?

How big us the universe?

Is God limited to the energy or size of the universe?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193917 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I'm flummoxed.

You've flummoxed me.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193918 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You just did.
My billet is full, go find a dinosaur to annoy.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#193919 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Are the two of you about to bump uglies with each other?

Location hidden

#193920 Dec 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
om·nip·o·tent (m-np-tnt)
adj.
omnipotent
adjective
adjective
Thank you for that, Christ mc^2.

Problem is, you didn't provide anything that relates omnipotence to energy in the universe.

I see "power", and "almighty".

But "power" is not the same thing as "energy".

Can you spend some time digging up research for me, and show us something that relates omnipotence to energy in the universe?

Because your whole proof relies on that - it sinks without it.

And so far you have nothing.

I know you know I really want to understand your science and maths.

Incidentally, why the hell do you say "maths" instead of "math"?

Do you think it sounds smarter?

Do you have a thing for Johnny Mathis?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193921 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Grrr

You say Season's Greetings for a holiday that is not a Season.

I'm sure you wouldn't say Season's Greetings at a New Years party....

*watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve ....*

3.... 2.... 1....!!!!

Season's Greetings!!!

O__O
I didn't say that either.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#193922 Dec 19, 2013

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193923 Dec 19, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Are the two of you about to bump uglies with each other?
I kinda thought RR was in love with you actually, what with the cloning and praising Pangu! and whatnot.

Hi Scar :D

#193925 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm white, too. And American. And a land owner. Are you gonna bitch at me for buying slaves next?
I did not steal Saturnalia, and neither did Christianity.
It was slowly adopted and changed by the society that used to celebrate Saturnalia and used to consider Saturn a god - the Roman Empire.
Both the Roman Empire and the belief in Saturn the god are gone.
Christianity remains.
<quoted text>
I have not made that claim.
You should keep and RR file like IANS does, so you can go back and verify what you're saying before you say it.
If appropriate?, I know you are christian, you have stated that several times but are you a slave owner too? My response depends on your truthful answer.

It is well documented that christians hijacked several local winter festivals so they could say, follow us and you wont need to give you saturnalia or yule or whatever. It was not really adopted slowly but rather rapidly soon after the NT was compiled by committee. However if it makes you feel better to lie to yourself about the theft then that’s fine. I think the statute of limitations has long passed.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christ...
II C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]

II D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday.

II E. Christians had little success, however, refining the practices of Saturnalia. As Stephen Nissenbaum, professor history at the University of Massachussetts, Amherst, writes,“In return for ensuring massive observance of the anniversary of the Savior’s birth by assigning it to this resonant date, the Church for its part tacitly agreed to allow the holiday to be celebrated more or less the way it had always been.” The earliest Christmas holidays were celebrated by drinking, sexual indulgence, singing naked in the streets (a precursor of modern caroling), etc.

Yes you have several times. However we are used to you lying about what you have said so hey, ho, here we go again.

Location hidden

#193926 Dec 19, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Exotic dancer in Kansas City. The one in Kansas.
The same city is in Missouri. It spans the border.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#193927 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I kinda thought RR was in love with you actually, what with the cloning and praising Pangu! and whatnot.
Hi Scar :D
Ar Ar is hot for me.

Hi, Luci.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193928 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The Catholic Church did create many pedophiles with its policy of celibacy for priests, and it attracted others. It facilitated all of them in unconscionable ways. What's most important is that Christianity and Christian ethics as they are learned and applied, prevent almost no abominations. It almost never seems to get in people's way of being whatever they want to be, whether that be sadistic inquisitors, war loving demagogues, genocidal fascists, or racist terrorists. None of them have to deny their Christianity. It's typical for an apologist like you to say that gays corrupted the church.That church is as corrupt as it is possible to be, and what weakened it was its loss of the ability to conceal what it was with the advent of modern telecommunications, especially the Internet. The church typically paid off the victims it couldn't intimidate, but only if they signed a nondisclosure clause stating that they would forfeit the money if they discussed it the settlement with anybody. But the Internet let these people find one another under the cloak of anonymity, and the magnitude of the problem became apparent. From there, it got to attorneys and journalists, and the rest is history unfolding. That church is a filthy, disgusting institution that needs to be exposed, disgraced, and diminished as much as possible.
Outrage wrote:
Big mouth,bored little guy,who don't have a life but Topix.Tisk Tisk..Your a filthy POS
You're a Catholic, aren't you? Sorry about that.

Instead of defending that pedophile syndicate, why don't you help us with this problem by calling it what it is and taking a moral stand? Your anger should be at the Church, not those who find it unacceptable. Your moral judgment has been corrupted by your faith.

As I said about another poster recently, I deeply regret that anybody would feel the way you do about something as hideous as that Church, but given that you do, I am grateful that you were willing to share it with us. Yours is yet another example of how faith corrupts people - how it tends to make otherwise good people do bad.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg

You didn't start out life hoping to be the guy anonymously defending pedophiles racketeering in the flesh of young boys and obstructing justice, but it's where you ended up, thanks to faith.

==========

By the way, doesn't your bible promise you that if you have faith, that you will have peace that passeth all understanding and receive the gifts of the spirit including, "love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control"? You didn't get those, did you?

So let me ask you what I asked lightbeamrider;: Why would you continue to believe the promise of a heavenly reward if its coming from the same source? Does evidence matter to you at all, or are even the most important choices you make based on nothing more substantial than blind faith and the will to believe? If you were planning to invest your savings with somebody that you discovered was lying to you, would that affect your decision about whether to continue on with him? Probably. So why not here?

The answer is obvious, and it's the same answer as the one to the moral problem described above, but this time, to a problem with your common sense : faith. It asks you to ignore evidence and reason.

#193929 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is up to you, Christinemc^2.
Ordinarily it would not be, but when you make a stupid proof that precludes god's existence based on energy limitations in the universe, you have to prove that god cannot be outside the universe, or you alleged proof is meaningless.
We all know you cannot do that. So your proof is meaningless.
...We all knew that, too.
Why, I do not make any claims for god being outside the universe, that is RR. What I do say AND I WILL REPEAT FOR THE HARD OF UNDERSTANDING, omnipotence (as described in KJV revelation 19:6) cannot exist in THIS UNIVERSE at the same time as you.

Plese note that RHIS UNIVERSE, there is no claim for outside this universe. However who does make the claims, unfounded and unprovable is RR.

Oh I get it, you both know very well that you cannot give any satisfactory explanation for a god existing in reality so you try shifting the blame to the atheist.

My dearest butt crack, sloping shoulders juts don’t work and are really juts a pathetic cop out used by people with nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 8 min Uncle Sam 15,023
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 15 min thetruth 4,499
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min DanFromSmithville 35,558
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Bottom Line 20,194
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 45
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr ChristineM 23,879
News "Being an atheist does not mean being anti-Chri... (Dec '14) 8 hr thetruth 26
More from around the web