Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193832 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
So is calling one a satanic witch, a strange act that is but you're right, Atheists mock all non existent gods equally, more or less, sometimes.
I've called no one a satanic witch, you can't put other people's actions on me.

Atheists only mock the nonexistent gods, huh?

God is the only one you seem to mock...

I suppose then you think all the others gods are existent.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193833 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
In some secular countries (I live in one WOO FOOKIN' HOO!), season's greetings incorporates the xmas holiday, new years and the fact that it's school and work holidays for a large chunk of summer, it's a happy time that as 'pagan heathens' we have every right to celebrate.
Just, calling it the birth of the jesus is not only inaccurate and ridiculous but it's also a big fat lie, like santa.
Hope this helps :)
On Christmas, you say happy holidays.

On New Year, you say happy new year.

Image that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193834 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Check with Gym, he would know.
Or ChristineMC^2.
They have the unabridged copies.
ChristineMC^2?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#193835 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I've called no one a satanic witch, you can't put other people's actions on me.

Nope, all stories.

I didn't say you called me a satanic witch or put anything on you, was just using an example.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193836 Dec 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:

The mistake lies in a bible that claims divine authorship by a perfect god for itself, then describes an imperfect god, and is full of self-contradictions,failed prophecies, unkept promises, and errors of scientific and historical fact.
Pointing out that people worshiping that god are worshiping an impossible fiction - an imperfect perfect god - is not the mistake.
You have told us yourself that when a Christian refers to "God," s/he means specifically god of the Christian bible, not a similar god. If you change the description, you might be describing something that actually does exist, but not the same thing.
So, if you are arguing that a god of no specific description may exist, every agnostic atheist like me will agree with you, but will add that that god hasn't contacted us, has no commandments for us, and has made no request to be worshiped.
If you want to argue that the specific god of sin and damnation that the bible claims exists - the one you and other Christians call "God" - sorry. It can't.
Incidentally, this is the kind of conversation that is only possible with a person that has painted himself into a corner trying to defend an obvious error, fib, or other kind of self-contradiction.
"When the philosopher's argument becomes tedious, complicated, and opaque, it is usually a sign that he is attempting to prove as true to the intellect what is plainly false to common senseĀ”- Edward Abbey
Your error begins with your first sentence. The Bible does not claim to be authored by God. It claims to be authored by men, inspired by God.

Let's work on that before jumping to the supposed contradictions, m'kay?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#193837 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've called no one a satanic witch, you can't put other people's actions on me.
You suppose a lot of things you have no reason to suppose.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193838 Dec 19, 2013
It was an amazing question, though, wasn't it? "Why is there a perception out there that Christians hate gays?"
A question that was not answered satisfactorily.

A question that demands a non-bigoted answer.

Care to try?

Location hidden

#193839 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>On Christmas, you say happy holidays.

On New Year, you say happy new year.

Image that.
How would you know what I say? I think you don't know, obviously.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193840 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I didn't ask you to shut up.
2. You don't speak or write like your grandparents. You didn't share their upbringing, education or times. You already mentioned how your father was a racist - I assume, but could be incorrect, your grandfather was, too.
2a. You are not like them and do not fully understand them.
3. You didn't speak to my point about cross cultural marriage and instead referred to Western history, of which apparently you aren't that familiar.
4. I didn't call you a bigot, but very interesting that you had to scream that you weren't. That's sort of like the homophobe who ends his rant with "and I'm not gay!!!"
So, hahaha! Thanks, that was funny.
1. The question needn't be asked to be present.

2. Don't change your tune. Yesterday you said I didn't understand my grandparents culture, not that I'm not like them.

3. Explain.

4. Red herring.

Location hidden

#193841 Dec 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>A question that was not answered satisfactorily.

A question that demands a non-bigoted answer.

Care to try?
Because christians lobby against human rights that homosexuals should have, tell them they're going to the christian imaginary hell and think their delusion should affect marriage laws, amongst others.

Location hidden

#193842 Dec 19, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>You suppose a lot of things you have no reason to suppose.
I agree.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193843 Dec 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:

Hey, bigot.
What's up?.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
hahaha!
I'm not a bigot! I'm not a bigot! I just want to restrict the rights of groups of people who aren't like me and thereby add to a structural inequality that supports my group.
I'm not a bigot!
That post from catcher was directed at me, he fancies me a bigot. I'm going to assume that this post of yours is subtly directed at me.

I'm going to repeat myself now, because it seems that the intellectuals here have year very short memories were very selective memories.

I don't want to restrict the rights of people to follow my way of life or my morals of my values. I am merely voicing my opinion about said way of life, morals and values.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193844 Dec 19, 2013

It's not about whether all Christians have imbibed the Christian homophobic message.You are correct that many have not.
There is no "Christian homophobic message".

And if you agree that many Christians have not taken that message, why do you continue the stereotype preconception that Christians hate gays?
What it's about is a church that teaches promulgates such a message, and how many people do embrace its message. In my opinion, unbelievers should focus their criticism not on this Christian or that Christian, nor trouble themselves over which ones actually feel the hatred in the church's homophobic message and which are serving as its vector in good faith and good cheer.
Which churches promulgate the supposed message?

No church that I've ever been to promotes hatred to anything or anyone, gays included.

You cannot say the Christian Church, the overall message of Christianity that is preached at churches around the world, promotes hatred to gays. If you do, you'll have to support that assertion.
The problem is the church - an abstraction comprising not just buildings, bibles and people, but an ideology, a doctrine, a tradition, a history, a mythos, a moral code, a metaphysical system (supernaturalism), an iconograhy, an epistemological choice (fideism), and a system or method for propagating them using buildings, bibles, people, technology, and various psychological techniques.
Regarding, "The stereotype needs to stop already," Christian homophobia is real and should be denounced in no uncertain terms. Getting angry at people like you, Eagle and lighbeamrider for your beliefs, however, is not helpful. It is enough to contradict them where appropriate.
Two. You named two Christians and then you damn Christianity and every church and every Christian doctrine because of the acts of few.

Huh...

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193845 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you can't answer to what I wrote, you can always toss some joke in.
I kind of expected your reply and not a serious discussion.
One question: where's the insult? I think you left it out.
You ask where is my insult?

You just tossed two in a row at me.

And they were unjustified, since my responses were exactly on point.

To be a better Buck than I was before. That is my spiritual goal.

I'm on an insult diet. Call it the Buck Plan.

I still binge sometimes. Ask Blob-of-Cum-on-Face.

Nice pic.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193846 Dec 19, 2013
Agreed, although I would modify that to selfishness and/or malice.
Malice?!

Well, ok. From some. Probably very, very few.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193848 Dec 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you don't know what "gender equality" means.
Perhaps you should look it up?
I know what the words mean.

Maybe that's my mistake, as liberal definitions commonly don't coincide with words.

Movements in liberalism distort numerous meanings of words - anything with "equality", "fairness", or "rights" appears, and you know it means something other than what it says.

So no. I don't need to look anything up.

I know this ground like the back of my hand, and can navigate it blindfolded.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193849 Dec 19, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
A couple of good shows last night on Through the Wormhole.
One on free will. One on creation/intelligent design and one on where Marla's come from.
Well worth the watch. They might be online.
I'm gonna check those out. Thanks.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#193850 Dec 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
In this post, Christine said Merry Christmas insults her.
In post #193648, Christine said "Merry Christmas" DOES NOT insult her.
....And both are scientifically tested and proven!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaahah...
And science proved both statements with mathematics.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaah ahahah...
And E=mc^2
Bwahahahahahahahhah...
Nope I said that Merry Christmas is an insult

Get your thinking hat on buck. You need it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193851 Dec 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Christians hijacked Christmas???[laughing]
Yes. Saturn is the original reason for the season, So let's keep the Saturn in Saturnalia.
http://yourfriendtony.files.wordpress.com/201...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193852 Dec 19, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Nope, all stories.
I didn't say you called me a satanic witch or put anything on you, was just using an example.
Yes, like Sharkey blaming me for slavery.

Don't do that, Luci.

Please.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 4 min Frindly 1,157
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 12 hr Science 1,412
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web