Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
185,801 - 185,820 of 225,726 Comments Last updated 57 min ago

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
Would you make the same argument for interracial marriage? Before interracial marriage was allowed, was there equality in marriage rights?
Yes. Everyone was free to marry their own race.

This discussion has helped me to see that I really don't care about equality if it permits bigotry of the type that the theists here are arguing for. What I care about more is justice and brotherly love - you know, the Golden Rule, which really isn't a part of the Christian tradition.

When do Christians ever treat others as they would wish to be treated were the shoe on the other foot? Consider the motto "In God We Trust." How would American Christians feels about a national motto that read, "We Trust In Reason and Ourselves, Not Gods"? They would resent it every time they read it on a coin or bill. They know that that is how unbelievers feel. What is their reaction? "Too bad. Get over it"

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To most people of the world, that is irrelevant.
Who cares, to 2/3 of the world christmas is irrelevant but that does not stop godbots insulting everyone they meet with merry christmas does it?

Io Saturnalia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
To most people of the world, that is irrelevant.
Nope wrong. To some people of little understanding it is irrelevant but in reality IDers are irrelevant anyway

Io Saturnalia buck

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any argument there, either. What I see is something very different - a man promoting a selfish mean-sprited meme that originated with a homophobic church that he has abandoned, a meme contradicted by reason, compassion, and a sense of justice. I'm really sorry to see you promoting that ugliness given your rejection of so many other aspects of Christian culture.
It would be easy to make an argument against women's suffrage with an analogous argument:
'The conceptual change is from one man voting per household to something different: one man and one woman. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass'
Or, an argument for gay marriage using an analogous argument:
'With the Christian version of marriage, you walk in and get married. Then more people walk in and get married. If you don't see the conceptual distinction, you must have your head up your ass.'
No, the concept of voting would not be changed.

On the marriage issue, the institution as conceptualized would no longer exist.

I think people have the right to decide if they want that institution to continue to exist, and the arguments for its continuance do not require hate.

Hate does exist in the controversy, and it helps your side to smear it on all arguments.

That reflects on your philosophy, not my affinity for a religion.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post does not even rise to the level of being wrong.
It's a gibberish of blank assertions.
Someone posted evidence by propositional logic, and you responded with lip flapping.
Such a post is not subject to proof.
Every statement I made has been scientifically analysed and proven so what can I say? Wrong again buck and you have no evidence to show otherwise, you are getting really good at it eh?

Io Saturnalia

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares, to 2/3 of the world christmas is irrelevant but that does not stop godbots insulting everyone they meet with merry christmas does it?
Io Saturnalia
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

There it is!

Your animus toward the greeting "Merry Christmas".

It is NOT just a matter of tolerance and plurality to you.

YOU ARE INSULTED BY THE GREETING!!

Thanks for your accidental honesty.

I'm sure it will be rare.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope wrong. To some people of little understanding it is irrelevant but in reality IDers are irrelevant anyway
Io Saturnalia buck
Did you utilize anecdotal evidence in reaching that conclusion?

You are very pious in your religion.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
It can't be applied to anything because it is not a proof. All it is is a restatement of nonexistence of a married bachelor. It has no application to Bible God, or anything else.
I think the argument not only is applicable to the bible god, it rules that specific god out, and demotes the book ascribed to it to the status of ancient mythology. If there is a god, it's not the one described in that book, which is described as perfect and imperfect at the same time - the married bachelor of gods.

If that precise god doesn't exist, it means that there is no reason to be a Christian, no reason to respect the words in the Christian bible, no reason to go to Christian churches or listen to Christian clergy, no reason to pray to or worship the Christian god, and no reason to accept the Christian doctrines of sin, salvation, damnation, heaven, or hell. None at all.

Wouldn't that count as an application?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Every statement I made has been scientifically analysed and proven...
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha...

There are no words...Bwahahahahahahahaha... .

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. EAGLE refuses to engage me in debate ..
.. do you think he wants to have sex with me and is using the strong, silent approach ??..
P.S. I'm still waiting for my peanut butter & jelly sammich.
Maybe he's afraid of bewbies.

Dunno how that could be possible, but you never know...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. recently the Mrs. of an 82-year-old man was seriously ill. The entire neighborhood thought she was going to die. As the ambulance pulled away, we watched him cry, held his hand, hugged him. Everyone recognized his grief and supported him ..
.. the next day, myself and two neighbors cleaned their home, washed the dishes and did the dirty laundry while he stayed by his wife's bedside in a hospital 320-miles away ..
.. the good news? The Mrs. will be home tomorrow, she made it. She'll return home to a loving husband, a clean house, a bedroom with scented candles and a television that works (someone fixed it). The entire community rallied around this loving couple ..
.. this is why gay marriage is an imperative. We're all cut from the same cloth and need the support of society in both good and bad times. With time, I think this could happen; you're proof of that because you now understand that marriage is not a social arrangement, it's a spiritual exercise where gender is irrelevant ..
You broke into a sick old man's home?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope I am honouring a belief in a belief
Why are you assuming that after stealing christmas that you godbots are the only ones allowed to celebrate?
Kind of selfish and petty if you ask me.
First, I've stolen nothing. So shut that cock holster you call a mouth about Christians stealing something.

Second, we Christians celebrate our God. You atheists claim to not believe in any gods, so how can you justify celebrating Saturn?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
So you have done some nukes in your back yard to verify that?
That's not your standard for belief, so why are you demanding that others meet it?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What you say and what can be proven are obviously 2 completely separate things
You are saying that you believe that the idol of your belief can be excused this universe by claiming that he is not subject to reality of this universe
You have obviously not looked up the meaning of omnipotent
You have obviously not looked up the meaning of universe
And you have obviously not done the math
I suppose you have?

You've made the claim several times that you believe E=MC2 proves God cannot be omnipotent.

You've supplied NOTHING to support that assertion.

Except gases coming from that gaping hole in the front of your face.

Now please, supply some kind of evidence that God is limited to what we call the laws of physics.

Then and only then can your guess be turned into a hypothesis.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
Io Saturnalia
Insulting?

LMAO!

Merry Christmas.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why didn't you throw at him the E=mc^2 proves asbestos causes cancer?
Or pi proves sugar is good for you?
Bwahahahahahahahahahah...
Because, unlike you and RR and so many other godbots I am not a liar

Io Saturnalia buck

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Tide with Beach wrote:
Would you make the same argument for interracial marriage? Before interracial marriage was allowed, was there equality in marriage rights?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes, everyone had equality. I'm sure you won't understand that.
I think I do understand that, and I thank you for helping me see how weak that word is in arguments about what is right and wrong. I want compassion,not something that can be used to justify irrational and mean spirited ideas.

Forget equality. It's not enough. Where does compassion figure into your ethical calculus?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
There it is!
Your animus toward the greeting "Merry Christmas".
It is NOT just a matter of tolerance and plurality to you.
YOU ARE INSULTED BY THE GREETING!!
Thanks for your accidental honesty.
I'm sure it will be rare.
Sorry, I will rephrase, implied greeting

Io Saturnalia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you utilize anecdotal evidence in reaching that conclusion?
You are very pious in your religion.
Nope, factual and you are the evidence, tell me do you belive that you are anecdotal?

Io Saturnalia buck

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha...
There are no words...Bwahahahahahahahaha... .
So still you have no evidence to the contrary

Thanks buck, Io Saturnalia

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••