Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Anon

Lakewood, OH

#193750 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I was kidding about debating it.
Whether there's 5, 11 or 12 posts makes no difference to me.
You call the ball.
Ah, you were kidding. Must've made a difference to you, or you wouldn't have called me on it. Nice try...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#193752 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try again...
Now please, supply some kind of evidence that God is limited to what we call the laws of physics.
"Anyone who becomes seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that there is a spirit manifest in the laws of the universe, a spirit vastly superior to that of man." - Albert Einstein

The Law of Thermodynamics states that when one form of energy is converted to another that there is no net gain or loss. Whether reacting with a static or infinite universe, a higher energy state being could exist without being seen if it so chose. Christine's claim fails in that God could exist in and "thoughout" the universe and never cause a ripple. We may only exist as/in his dreams. Dreams given life through his own divine energy.

How would YOU choose to interact with a *relatively* holographic "conscious" being, especially if it was one that you created yourself? How real is real when we're all merely vibrations of differing energy levels. Everyone's DNA has a different wave signature; beautiful, ain't it?

How "long" is YOUR wave?

xD

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#193753 Dec 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there it is folks ..
GAY = Demonic
Don't worry, HL. It was the voices in his head that told him that.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193754 Dec 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
JIim didn't catch the satire.
Strewth! For a minute, I thought you had gone all Puritan on us.
:D

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193755 Dec 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. recently the Mrs. of an 82-year-old man was seriously ill. The entire neighborhood thought she was going to die. As the ambulance pulled away, we watched him cry, held his hand, hugged him. Everyone recognized his grief and supported him ..
.. the next day, myself and two neighbors cleaned their home, washed the dishes and did the dirty laundry while he stayed by his wife's bedside in a hospital 320-miles away ..
.. the good news? The Mrs. will be home tomorrow, she made it. She'll return home to a loving husband, a clean house, a bedroom with scented candles and a television that works (someone fixed it). The entire community rallied around this loving couple ..
.. this is why gay marriage is an imperative. We're all cut from the same cloth and need the support of society in both good and bad times. With time, I think this could happen; you're proof of that because you now understand that marriage is not a social arrangement, it's a spiritual exercise where gender is irrelevant ..
I agree with you. Now if you could only persuade some of the idiot politicians in my country, everything would be fine and dandy.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193756 Dec 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
In America, we have the Christians playing that role. And we feel the same about them as you feel about those Muslims for the same reason. When you get down to it, what's difference, really? Both embrace magic, mythology, superstition, dogma, the supernatural, and ritual. Both believe in demons, angels, an afterlife and a system of reward and punishment after death.
Both attend temples (Mosques or churches) and obey the paternalistic, misogynisitic priests, imams or pastor there. Both worship an angry, capricious, petty, sadistic, murderous, homophobic, harshly judgmental, Semitic desert god. And each has an ancient authoritarian holy book filled with hatred, tribalism, violence, and failed morals upon which they are taught to base their lives.
The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam.
The more I read on the subject, the more I see they are very similar religions.

The difference is that the traditional Muslim punishment for blasphemy or being an apostate, is beheading with a sword. The medieval Xtians were much more humane, burning them alive.
:-(
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#193757 Dec 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Strewth! For a minute, I thought you had gone all Puritan on us.
:D
Poe's Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe 's_law

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193758 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It does not insult me, I know you get you kicks from partying over a fictitious birth date made up to entice new converts about 400 years AFTER the assumed birth. Enjoy your pagan holidays, you deserve it.
I do however know several Muslims that the phrase insults and several other faiths (including christian faith) to whom the phrase is an insult to your god.
Here is a couple of interesting post I found on Yahoo
“
Jehovah's Witnesses don't [celebrate christmas] because we know that it was originally a pagan holiday,(as are most so-called "Christian" holidays) and celebrating pagan holidays is a sin. The yuletide which celebrated the solstice fell in December and Romans attempted to convert pagans into Christianity by adopting their rituals and symbols. The Christmas tree is also a pagan symbol which we consider a form of idolatry.
None of Jesus' disciples celebrated his birth (the date of which is not even mentioned in the bible) and the only people that celebrated holidays in the bible were pagans. From all accounts Jesus was most likely born in Septebmer-October. Therefore, true Christians are not supposed to take part in "Christmas" or any other pagan originated holiday.
“
and
“
We Jesusonian Christians know that our Sovereign Creator Son of God Jesus Christ actually Incarnated here August 21, 7BC through May 18, AD30. Today He is here worldwide as He the Spirit of Truth.(see John ch 16 and ch 17)
Thus, we celebrate "Christmas" twice per year: Each Aug 21 and also Dec 25.
“
and
“
The Eastern Orthodox Christianity doesn't celebrate Christmas (on Dec. 25th, at least).
“
They don't celebrate birthdays either. I have a lot of sympathy for the JW's kids.

Location hidden

#193759 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Liar yourself. You brought the issue up. You like it being discussed.
YOU used it as a ploy to try to drive me off because you couldn't out reason me. Weakling.

Location hidden

#193760 Dec 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen you exhibit the opposite of compassion.
And also be irrational.
And yes, I have done the same.
But not the new Buck. I practice presence and acceptance.
Al's Salami.
He rations his rationality? xD

Yeah, it has chinks in it. Hateful ones.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193761 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Thanks, Rosa, but it's not so much a matter of courage as one of outrage at a huge injustice perpetrated by a selfish and hypocritical church that is indifferent regarding who it hurts.
I am a secular humanist, and our ethics are rational and compassionate. We deplore this kind of irrational and unkind thinking,and wish to replace it with something that we are pretty sure is better, once we can push this behemoth aside.
Christian homophobia is only one of the ways that this church harms people. It does the same to atheists. It is misogynistic. It is also antiintellectual, antiscientific, antiecological, misanthropic, nihilistic, and authoritarian, It's superstitions and prejudices have facilitated the spread of AIDS and teen pregnancy. The church also diverts charitable contributions that could have been made to real charities that serve the needy into its own coffers to build churches and pay for pastor's cars and homes.
It is my opinion that these are all worth resisting, and we can mitigate them all by repeatedly pointing out what the church is and what it does without special emphasis to any one of them. As the church diminishes in clout, all of these problems will begin to diminish with it,although we can expect the Neocons to continue waging battle against many of these without any mention of Jesus or bibles..
In 2013, the most topical aspect from that laundry list of undesirable influences of the church is the ongoing attempt to deny gay couples the legal protections and social parity afforded by legalizing gay marriage, so, we discuss it more frequently than most of the others.
That's good, mate. Wishing you and your wife a very Merry Yule.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193762 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Don't forget Madam.
Her too, and I definitely don't forget Lilith.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193763 Dec 18, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Fk Dawkins! Like I'd ever waste perfectly good money on any book recommended by that lispy little wussy.
I think ol' Dawkins has much more class than that. He wouldn't touch a missing link like yourself.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193764 Dec 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't we all?
FYI

What is Evolution?
Evolution is simply stated as change over time. Languages, societies, and knowledge all have the ability to evolve. In Biology, evolution refers to the change of genetic traits over time.

[ References: Wikipedia: Evolution ]
What is Natural Selection?
Natural Selection is one of the mechanisms which drives evolution. It is popularly characterized as "survival of the fittest," though that is not always the most accurate description. It is the tendency for life forms which are best suited to their environments to have a better chance to reproduce than those that are not. For example, in a cold environment, an animal with lots of fur is more likely to reproduce than a bald animal, since the bald animals will die more quickly.

Location hidden

#193765 Dec 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't celebrate birthdays either. I have a lot of sympathy for the JW's kids.
Yet you would make fun of them if they believed horoscopes had any relevancy in their lives.

Location hidden

#193766 Dec 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I think ol' Dawkins has much more class than that. He wouldn't touch a missing link like yourself.
You know damn well what I meant, Lintball.

It's obvious he's a poofter.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#193767 Dec 18, 2013
http://www.gallup.com/poll/166535/record-high...

Gallup polls regarding biggest threat to country. Has always been big government, but has spiked quite a bit, especially Democrat years. What is surprising is the nosedive during early Bush years, post 9/11 era. Big business took the slack.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193768 Dec 18, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you would make fun of them if they believed horoscopes had any relevancy in their lives.
You don't know what I'd do.

BTW thanks for all the peanuts. That's a fitting Xmas gift from a monkey.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#193769 Dec 18, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You know damn well what I meant, Lintball.
It's obvious he's a poofter.
Nothing wrong with that. But I think Mrs Dawkins would disagree.
LCNLin

United States

#193770 Dec 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>FYI
What is Evolution?
Evolution is simply stated as change over time. Languages, societies, and knowledge all have the ability to evolve. In Biology, evolution refers to the change of genetic traits over time.
[ References: Wikipedia: Evolution ]
What is Natural Selection?
Natural Selection is one of the mechanisms which drives evolution. It is popularly characterized as "survival of the fittest," though that is not always the most accurate description. It is the tendency for life forms which are best suited to their environments to have a better chance to reproduce than those that are not. For example, in a cold environment, an animal with lots of fur is more likely to reproduce than a bald animal, since the bald animals will die more quickly.
In which way

does this prove

your atheist philosophy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min Samuel Patre 94,391
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 42 min Prince of Darkness 6,001
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) 1 hr Eagle 12 - 147
News Geoff Robson is wrong about Richard Dawkins, th... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 12
News Christ, Atheism, Quantum Physics, and the Natur... Thu nanoanomaly 1
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism May 21 Guest 6
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20