Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 253289 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

London, UK

#193546 Dec 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Spread your atheist beliefs somewhere else, you bigot.
The u.s. was founded by Christians, who based the Constitution on Christian values.
Show me where the Constitution mentions a separation between church and state.
Imagine that.
There's the other half.
Atheism is a disbelief, its based on facts so good luck supressing facts for your religious mafia.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193547 Dec 18, 2013
Wtf?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#193548 Dec 18, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Christmas gift for atheists -- five reasons why God exists
By William Lane Craig
Published December 13, 2013
FoxNews.com
1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe. Given the scientific evidence we have about our universe and its origins, and bolstered by arguments presented by philosophers for centuries, it is highly probable that the universe had an absolute beginning. Since the universe, like everything else, could not have merely popped into being without a cause, there must exist a transcendent reality beyond time and space that brought the universe into existence. This entity must therefore be enormously powerful. Only a transcendent, unembodied mind suitably fits that description.
2. God provides the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe. Contemporary physics has established that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of intelligent, interactive life. That is to say, in order for intelligent, interactive life to exist, the fundamental constants and quantities of nature must fall into an incomprehensibly narrow life-permitting range. There are three competing explanations of this remarkable fine-tuning: physical necessity, chance, or design. The first two are highly implausible, given the independence of the fundamental constants and quantities from nature's laws and the desperate maneuvers needed to save the hypothesis of chance. That leaves design as the best explanation.
Another christmas gift for godbots

1a The abrahamic god (one god of 3700+ such gods) provides a guess constructed in the bronze age for the origins of the universe that is clung to like a straw to a drowning man by people who are hard of understanding.

1b There is no scientific reason why the universe could not have merely popped into being without a cause. Consider quantum theory before rapping off about stuff you don’t understand

1c Claiming “must exist” without out proof is nothing more than guesswork

2a Any “tuning” of the universe is completely natural and fully explained. The fact that from the bigger picture of universal filaments (look it up) right down to the electron shell at atomic level (and smaller still) shows purely random feature’s formed and held by gravity. This suggest that tuning is completely the wrong word.

2b Physics has established no such thing. Physics has shown that life (as we know life) can develop in a fairly small band in solar and galactic environments and that the completely random, gravity driven formation of this solar system, galaxy, cluster and universe gives rise to such areas that allow life (as we understand life) to abound.

2c what implausibility? You claim implausibility yet you give no reason for such a claim, you just hope that people will say “doh yeh, dats wot a fink too so he mus be right” because that what you want people to say.

Conclusion, ID is not only the outdated guesswork of the bronze age, science has shown much of the ID thinking to be exactly what it is, bronze age guesswork.

The only thing that IDers claim that science cannot physically prove is the actual initial bang itself. However unlike IDers, science can and does use mathematics to test its theories. In the words of one leading cosmologist ”We cannot be sure exactly what caused the big bang but one thing is certain, no god did it”

#193549 Dec 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly why I'm wishing everyone a Merry Yule this year.
Io Saturnalia
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#193550 Dec 18, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is disbelief, its based on facts so good luck supressing facts for your religious mafia.
Thought you might appreciate this....
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...
king

Valencia, Venezuela

#193551 Dec 18, 2013
123.129.873.5 7906

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#193555 Dec 18, 2013
Buck hides behind his interpretation of law to cause trouble the same way Westboro baptists do.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay people want to marry one another. It is unjust to deny that. Other words and definitions don't change that.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#193556 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I have a better plan: make rights as universal as possible and not let the majority deny the minority.
This god-endowed rights thing hasn't worked out as well for some people as it has for others. I still don't see why you consider the concept important or powerful or whatever it is about it that you think makes it a useful idea.
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas, Buck.
And Happy HumanLight, Yule, Kwanzaa, Saturnalia and Festivus.
If only there were a less wordy way to say all of that.
I'd be all for celebrating "Because".

If there was a festive time called "Because" I'd be there.

Happy Because, everyone.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#193557 Dec 18, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I'd be all for celebrating "Because".

Happy Because, everyone.
Lol. Happy Because Scar.
Jim

London, UK

#193558 Dec 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The u.s. was founded by Christians, who based the Constitution on Christian values.
Imagine that.
There's the other half.
Defeated religionists lie with no shame to persuade the ignorant: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

#193559 Dec 18, 2013
<quoted text>
…
And Happy HumanLight, Yule, Kwanzaa, Saturnalia and Festivus.
If only there were a less wordy way to say all of that.
Seasons greetings?

Seasons greetings…
king

Buffalo, NY

#193560 Dec 18, 2013
124.33.120.4 8080

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

“Happy MMXVI!!!”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#193561 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Io Saturnalia
Lo Saturnalia, Christine.

“Happy MMXVI!!!”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#193562 Dec 18, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be all for celebrating "Because".
Happy Because, everyone.
Why? Oh just Because...

Merry Yule, Scar.
king

Buffalo, NY

#193563 Dec 18, 2013
24.66.120.4 8908

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

rednex on meth

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193565 Dec 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine that.
There's the other half.
Hmmm. You got potential.

Location hidden

#193566 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Another christmas gift for godbots
1a The abrahamic god (one god of 3700+ such gods) provides a guess constructed in the bronze age for the origins of the universe that is clung to like a straw to a drowning man by people who are hard of understanding.
1b There is no scientific reason why the universe could not have merely popped into being without a cause. Consider quantum theory before rapping off about stuff you don’t understand
1c Claiming “must exist” without out proof is nothing more than guesswork
2a Any “tuning” of the universe is completely natural and fully explained. The fact that from the bigger picture of universal filaments (look it up) right down to the electron shell at atomic level (and smaller still) shows purely random feature’s formed and held by gravity. This suggest that tuning is completely the wrong word.
2b Physics has established no such thing. Physics has shown that life (as we know life) can develop in a fairly small band in solar and galactic environments and that the completely random, gravity driven formation of this solar system, galaxy, cluster and universe gives rise to such areas that allow life (as we understand life) to abound.
2c what implausibility? You claim implausibility yet you give no reason for such a claim, you just hope that people will say “doh yeh, dats wot a fink too so he mus be right” because that what you want people to say.
Conclusion, ID is not only the outdated guesswork of the bronze age, science has shown much of the ID thinking to be exactly what it is, bronze age guesswork.
The only thing that IDers claim that science cannot physically prove is the actual initial bang itself. However unlike IDers, science can and does use mathematics to test its theories. In the words of one leading cosmologist ”We cannot be sure exactly what caused the big bang but one thing is certain, no god did it”
Not a single sentence of your post is accurate, scientifically or logically.

Other than that, you did great.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193567 Dec 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.
It was a feeble attempt at deflection.
So, when two women get divorced, it'll be sorted out either in the divorce agreement or oroned out by the court.
Just like any other divorce.
Where was your problem again?
Ya, it'll be that simple.

Lol

Location hidden

#193568 Dec 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Io Saturnalia

You can't say that. Separation of Church and State! You want theocracy!

Citizens arrest!!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193569 Dec 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

RR doesn't smack women.
BenAdam wrote:
You already admitted you do.
I've never admitted that.

I'd be lying if I did.

Please stop lying, Ben.

If you can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 41 min One way or another 8,046
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 43 min emperorjohn 5,920
News The legacy of the New Atheism 2 hr Patrick n Angela 67
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr -Stray Dog 3,065
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr One way or another 27,257
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr thetruth 18,768
News Atheism has no moral dimension 3 hr thetruth 141
More from around the web