Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256566 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193437 Dec 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's only equality for those that want what the majority wants.
That isn't equality, it's discrimination.
There's no reason for it outside of bigotry.
The whites couldn't marry the blacks.

The blacks couldn't marry the whites.

I'd call that equal. Stupid, bigoted, but equal.

If it were the case that a white man could marry a black woman but not a black man marry a white woman, then I'd agree with you that that's not equal.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193438 Dec 17, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Bah. Fundies just love that one - and they get it wrong every time.
"As early as 1913, David Waterston of King's College London published in Nature his conclusion that the sample consisted of an ape mandible and human skull.[6] Likewise, French paleontologist Marcellin Boule concluded the same thing in 1915. A third opinion from American zoologist Gerrit Smith Miller concluded Piltdown's jaw came from a fossil ape. In 1923, Franz Weidenreich examined the remains and correctly reported that they consisted of a modern human cranium and an orangutan jaw with filed-down teeth." - Wiki.
Leave it to Atheist to twist History in their direction.

Let’s talk about paleontologist Marcellin Boule. He knew that the Piltdown Man was a hoax and even quietly questioned it.

But he did not come forward to the scientific community and reveal it as a hoax.

Why?

Boule also expressed some scepticism about the "Piltdown man" discovery—later revealed to be a hoax. As early as 1915, Boule recognized that the jaw belonged to an ape rather than an ancient human.[4] However, the Piltdown forgery has been characterised as providing evidential support for Boule's "branching evolution" conclusions drawn from his Neanderthal research—research which is likewise said to have "prepar[ed] the international community for the appearance of a non-Neanderthal fossil such as Piltdown Man."[2]

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#193439 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why not?
You can't marry a woman.
I can't marry a man.
Tell me how that isn't equal.
You can marry someone from the gender of your preference, she can't.

That is not equal.

Framing it differently does not make that false.

Location hidden

#193440 Dec 17, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
[tipping hat]
Shove that hat up your ass, traditionally.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#193441 Dec 17, 2013
A measurable demonstration of E=mc^2 is Mercury's precession.
How did you propose to explain Mercury's precession without the resulting time dilation effect of E=mc^2?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
So you have done some nukes in your back yard to verify that?
Lots of people say God created this universe, and that E=MC^2. Just look around you to see the evidence. They even say you can prove God within yourself.
There was more than E=MC^2 to those bombs. Trinity was not proof, nor was Hiroshima. Those were bombs on this planet. Technological advances using existing material.
Come on, do an experiment yourself to prove that formula. You shouldn't need a nuke. Tell us how you did it.
You are confused about just what is proof. You were blinded by the light of the flash. You don't realize how much circular logic went into those deductions and how much those scientists are like priests.
May I point out how long those megalithic structures and other religion based technologies lasted? They evidently tapped into some source of energy. But none were known to explode in such fashion.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193442 Dec 17, 2013
A Christmas gift for atheists -- five reasons why God exists
By William Lane Craig
Published December 13, 2013
FoxNews.com

For atheists, Christmas is a religious sham. For if God does not exist, then obviously Jesus’ birth cannot represent the incarnation of God in human history, which Christians celebrate at this time of year.

However, most atheists, in my experience, have no good reasons for their disbelief. Rather they’ve learned to simply repeat the slogan,“There’s no good evidence for God’s existence!”

In the case of a Christian who has no good reasons for what he believes, this slogan serves as an effective conversation-stopper. But if we have good reasons for our beliefs, then this slogan serves rather as a conversation-starter.

The good thing is that atheists tend to be very passionate people and want to believe in something.
The atheist who merely repeats this slogan after having been presented with arguments for God’s existence makes an empty assertion.

So what reasons might be given in defense of Christian theism? In my publications and oral debates with some of the world’s most notable atheists, I’ve defended the following five reasons why God exists:

1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe. Given the scientific evidence we have about our universe and its origins, and bolstered by arguments presented by philosophers for centuries, it is highly probable that the universe had an absolute beginning. Since the universe, like everything else, could not have merely popped into being without a cause, there must exist a transcendent reality beyond time and space that brought the universe into existence. This entity must therefore be enormously powerful. Only a transcendent, unembodied mind suitably fits that description.

2. God provides the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe. Contemporary physics has established that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of intelligent, interactive life. That is to say, in order for intelligent, interactive life to exist, the fundamental constants and quantities of nature must fall into an incomprehensibly narrow life-permitting range. There are three competing explanations of this remarkable fine-tuning: physical necessity, chance, or design. The first two are highly implausible, given the independence of the fundamental constants and quantities from nature's laws and the desperate maneuvers needed to save the hypothesis of chance. That leaves design as the best explanation.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193443 Dec 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
You can marry someone from the gender of your preference, she can't.

That is not equal.
I don't understand what you mean.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#193444 Dec 17, 2013
Yet Blair and Bush had kids.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Anti-Christ that will come out of Europe will be Gay.
That should make you happy because if you are alive when he makes his grand appearance. You’ll get the chance to worship him.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193445 Dec 17, 2013
A Christmas gift for atheists -- five reasons why God exists
By William Lane Craig
FoxNews.com

3. God provides the best explanation of objective moral values and duties. Even atheists recognize that some things, for example, the Holocaust, are objectively evil. But if atheism is true, what basis is there for the objectivity of the moral values we affirm? Evolution? Social conditioning? These factors may at best produce in us the subjective feeling that there are objective moral values and duties, but they do nothing to provide a basis for them. If human evolution had taken a different path, a very different set of moral feelings might have evolved. By contrast, God Himself serves as the paradigm of goodness, and His commandments constitute our moral duties. Thus, theism provides a better explanation of objective moral values and duties.

4. God provides the best explanation of the historical facts concerning Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. Historians have reached something of consensus that the historical Jesus thought that in himself God’s Kingdom had broken into human history, and he carried out a ministry of miracle-working and exorcisms as evidence of that fact. Moreover, most historical scholars agree that after his crucifixion Jesus’ tomb was discovered empty by a group of female disciples, that various individuals and groups saw appearances of Jesus alive after his death, and that the original disciples suddenly and sincerely came to believe in Jesus’ resurrection despite their every predisposition to the contrary. I can think of no better explanation of these facts than the one the original disciples gave: God raised Jesus from the dead.

5. God can be personally known and experienced. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Down through history Christians have found through Jesus a personal acquaintance with God that has transformed their lives.

The good thing is that atheists tend to be very passionate people and want to believe in something. If they would only put aside the slogans for a moment and reexamine their worldview in light of the best philosophical, scientific, and historical evidence we have today, then they, too, would find Christmas worth celebrating!
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#193446 Dec 17, 2013
Yet you're still believing mental sh!t 2,500 years on! Laughing at you, not with you.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave it to Atheist to twist History in their direction.
Let’s talk about paleontologist Marcellin Boule. He knew that the Piltdown Man was a hoax and even quietly questioned it.
But he did not come forward to the scientific community and reveal it as a hoax.
Why?
Boule also expressed some scepticism about the "Piltdown man" discovery—later revealed to be a hoax. As early as 1915, Boule recognized that the jaw belonged to an ape rather than an ancient human.[4] However, the Piltdown forgery has been characterised as providing evidential support for Boule's "branching evolution" conclusions drawn from his Neanderthal research—research which is likewise said to have "prepar[ed] the international community for the appearance of a non-Neanderthal fossil such as Piltdown Man."[2]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193447 Dec 17, 2013
Christmas gift for atheists -- five reasons why God exists
By William Lane Craig
FoxNews.com

1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe. Given the scientific evidence we have about our universe and its origins, and bolstered by arguments presented by philosophers for centuries, it is highly probable that the universe had an absolute beginning. Since the universe, like everything else, could not have merely popped into being without a cause, there must exist a transcendent reality beyond time and space that brought the universe into existence. This entity must therefore be enormously powerful. Only a transcendent, unembodied mind suitably fits that description.

2. God provides the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe. Contemporary physics has established that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of intelligent, interactive life. That is to say, in order for intelligent, interactive life to exist, the fundamental constants and quantities of nature must fall into an incomprehensibly narrow life-permitting range. There are three competing explanations of this remarkable fine-tuning: physical necessity, chance, or design. The first two are highly implausible, given the independence of the fundamental constants and quantities from nature's laws and the desperate maneuvers needed to save the hypothesis of chance. That leaves design as the best explanation.

Location hidden

#193448 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The whites couldn't marry the blacks.
The blacks couldn't marry the whites.
I'd call that equal. Stupid, bigoted, but equal.
If it were the case that a white man could marry a black woman but not a black man marry a white woman, then I'd agree with you that that's not equal.
It's unfairly discriminatory for no good reason.

Because marriage involves at least two people, and the law can discriminate based on several criteria, the rights can be framed in multiple combinations, both equal and unequal.

Before interracial marriage was allowed, "blacks" could still get married, just like "whites", but the minority demographic of people who wanted an interracial marriage couldn't get the marriage they wanted, where the majority demographic could. That inequality was eliminated when interracial marriage was allowed.

Allowing same sex marriage eliminates a similar set of inequities based on a similar discrimination based on a similar ascribed status. Legally, that status is gender. Practically, that status is sexual orientation. There's no good reason to discriminate based on either status as far as marriage law is concerned.

If there's some motivation other than bigotry at work here, in opposing same sex marriage under the law, I'm unaware of it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193449 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Would you say that non-believers don't believe because it also fills a need?
You could, but it is straining the meaning of the term "a need," which usually implies an urge rather than a choice based on deliberation, as in, I "need" things to be reasonable and rational.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#193450 Dec 17, 2013
You fell at the first hurdle.
Eagle 12 wrote:
1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193451 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Are you kidding about the Mississippi thing? Please say you are...
Oh but no! Not kid. Not kid.

It's called the Anti-Youth Subversion Act:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's kinda funny. Funny that those two young kids are so atheist that they feel the need to mock the Bible and write "No God" in the sand.
Adorable.
Glad you liked it.

Location hidden

#193452 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't understand what you mean.
You can marry a person from the gender of your preference. She can't marry a person from the gender of her preference, because she prefers someone from her own gender.

Better?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193453 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb ass. As far as science is concerned, DNA has existed for millions of years.
At this time yes, science recognizes DNA has existed for millions of years, science is not an entity, it is a methodology used to further knowledge, at the heart of this methodology are "scientists" Prior to the middle 1800's these "scientists" knew nothing about DNA, so........*As far as SCIENCE was concerned, prior to 1800 DNA did not exist."

I can do this all day if you like!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193454 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OCD says I have a Swiss cheese brain.
Termites don't eat Swiss cheese.
That's a class Topix Atheist! A and non-A problem.
Thanks for realizing how right I am and for not making a fool of yourself trying to argue against my superior logic.

You........"lets see, I have two choices, I can make a fool of myself trying to defend a hopeless position, or I can make snide comments as a way of deflecting this hopeless position I find myself in, Guess I'll go with the humor."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193455 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, I got it. You said:
"The nice thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not."
Spontaneous generation is true, according to your distorted version of logic.
Still don't understand, pitiful, really pitiful.
Mongoose

United States

#193456 Dec 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I'm here as a pubic service.
Thanks. You make a great poster child for the war against blatant ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 min Eagle 12 18,582
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 26 min One way or another 43,288
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 51 min thetruth 72
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Catcher1 9,374
Good arguments against Christianity 1 hr Eagle 12 215
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Eagle 12 4,823
News Why I quit atheism 1 hr Eagle 12 713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Eagle 12 21,188
More from around the web