Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 9,256)

Showing posts 185,101 - 185,120 of223,064
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
No, I'm happy with ny use of the word.
intelligent design was indeed fabricated by christard liars. They got found out in court.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Do...
<quoted text>
Your link does not support that ID was fabricated.

Know what that makes you?

A liar.

Since you're not a christard liar, I'll just call you a "Regular Liar".

You are a regular liar.

Here's a tip: I know more about the Kitzmiller trial than anyone on this thread, and it's not close.

Say something specific about it. See what happens.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Thinking wrote:
My take is that so long as Clarkson is not prevented from making crass gay jokes about his colleagues, he would be sincerely supportive of gay rights. Same goes for gender, race, nationality, etc. Possibly not religion, though.
Yes, apparently only the poppy is allowed to be worn in this TV format. I didn't know that until this "story" broke.
<quoted text>
Nor had I.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
That you have an issue with the logic of GWB's christian judge is your problem, not mine.
intelligent design is a fabrication.
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Again.

My car is a fabrication.

It must not exist....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesomeness never had to be claimed
It's well known that every Topix Atheist! is a doctor or a professor or a high-priced attorney or a self-proclaimed genius intellectual.
Awesomeness is implied, though never claimed.
Pfft. I never graduated college.

Now quit sidestepping and tell me what's your pipeline to the True Word of God?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesomeness never had to be claimed
It's well known that every Topix Atheist! is a doctor or a professor or a high-priced attorney or a self-proclaimed genius intellectual.
Awesomeness is implied, though never claimed.
I have been visiting this thread a long time.

I have seen a total of 3 smart atheists.

2 of them don't post any more.

The rest range from fairly dumb to dumb as an anvil.

That's a low percentage.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís a question that would need to be directed to wounded warriors. I do believe these great men and women need our support.
I have been donating to the Wounded Warrior Project. These folks need our support.
https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org
You are the hands down Champion of avoiding a direct question. It's a dead giveaway that you have absolutely NO answer to the question. And the reigning Champion is..........Eagle 12
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a low percentage.
With no evidence for god, its a wonder why you christards even bother to stay on this forum.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your link does not support that ID was fabricated.
Your religion is complete trash, man made garbage that has no basis in reality.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Its not an opinion, this is a fact. We can trace its roots to neocon juvenilies who failed to take over schools in kansas with science denial

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, and ALL of these slave owners thought they had ever right to own another human being as God fully sanction slavery in their holy book. What better justification that having your very own God fully support slavery.
Should we now do some research and see exactly what the percentage of slave owners were white Christians? I'm sure it would be extremely embarrassing for you.
Hi, Blue Baboon.

The abolitionists were Christians.

The slaves were Christians.

The dissenting justices in Dred Scott were Christians.

You thought you had a point. Sorry.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Hey! Those new fiats are cute.:[
I expect that thinking from a woman. You people typically buy things for appearances only, "cute" purses and shoes and dresses, etc.

Coming from a dude, though... That's a little weird.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What you and lightbeamrider keep ignoring is that we have seen both manners of thought put into practice, and we have seen their fruits. I'm pretty certain that you will disagree, but I have no doubt that the rational ethics developed by consensus are the best ethics we have or could have, and that authoritative systems that hand that job to a king, god (as interpreted by priests) or dictator are the worst except for the rare times in history when men have lived under wise and benevolent dictators.
So, you can arrange as many words as you like in any order you like, but you cannot convince an evidence based mind that faith based ethical systems will produce a better result when they have consistently failed when put to the test.
Consider a nation of faith based thinkers like typical Christians on this thread and a nation of evidence based thinkers like the typical unbelievers on this thread, and subject each to a demagogue that wants to commit genocide on a people, enslave the male survivors, and force sex on the females. Which group is more likely to say no, and which is more likely to submit to authority and try to find a way to justify it? That's a no brainer.
Given the failure of Christian ethics to prevent the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, the Nazi Holocaust and the Ku Klux Klan, why do you still want to argue that religious (or objective or transcendent or independent) ethical systems are superior? Your best hope is always humanists that know that moral law is created by human beings and their consciences through consensus, just like the Founders did when they wrote the Constitution and its Bill of Rights in committee with no apparent appeal to a bible or the stars.
Ahem-ma-ma-ma.....

Christian ethics DID put and end to the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch trials and the Nazis.

We're still working on the Ku Klux Klan.
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Blue Baboon.
Evolution denial might in furture be treatable by brain surgery.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_serva...
Civilizations created complex social systems. Slavery was a forced caste system from way, way back that supplied labor and also saved lives of the conquered, or of those that just had nothing to support themselves on. This is still done today. There were articles on CNN the last few days about women in Cambodia selling their daughters into prostitution because they have nothing. It is done everywhere still. It is not a religious thing, per se. Economics and social class.
As you will note the indentured servitude above had its economic advantages over slavery. The hiring of immigrants in this country, and others, replaced even that. Cheap labor competing for survival. Very economical. The Yankees loved it. This is still done today. Liberal Americans hire illegals. In the old days a Greek or Roman would get a slave to do the menial work they didn't have the time or inclination to do. But they also incurred obligations along with the investment. Slaves weren't cheap. Now you hire Mexicans or whatever is the current immigrant population and dispose of at will. It used to be Irish.
Over time each group of slaves or immigrants work their way into the society. The first ones were the one that paid the biggest price for the new found opportunities for their children. This is one of the objections to illegal immigration of today. People swarming into an established system and demanding rights and privileges.
But the need for labor created an industry of providing them. Slave raiders. You didn't need a war, just people that weren't an organized resistance. The Romans did this as well as Europeans, and other parts of the world, to supply the labor. During our colonial period Africa was the one weak and defenseless to such things, as were Amerindians and even enemy Europeans. There were a few French and British sold into slavery.
Slavery was/is a de facto economic reality. The opposition to it began with religious groups of the Christian faith, not secular humanism. This then grew and became the world standard. No more institutional slavery.
Besides, the burgeoning world population provided cheaper alternatives.
.. well written. When you leave the magnetic field, I get your thought process ..

.. human development is the same today as it was during biblical times ..

.. the solution? When humans stop thinking primarily about ourselves, we'll undergo a transformation of consciousness. I believe that to be the next step in evolution ..
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect that thinking from a woman. You people typically buy things for appearances only, "cute" purses and shoes and dresses, etc.
Coming from a dude, though... That's a little weird.
Religious trolls just can't get enough of atheists.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, and ALL of these slave owners thought they had ever right to own another human being as God fully sanction slavery in their holy book. What better justification that having your very own God fully support slavery.
Should we now do some research and see exactly what the percentage of slave owners were white Christians? I'm sure it would be extremely embarrassing for you.
All of them, huh?

You're implying that all slave owners were (or are) Christian.

Not only that, you're implying that you have a special insight into the minds of all people that have owned slaves.

You don't see the illogic in that, do you?
Jim

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahem-ma-ma-ma.....
Christian ethics DID put and end to the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch trials and the Nazis.
We're still working on the Ku Klux Klan.
Christians manned the gas chambers, you're never quite sure which side you're on until pressured.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Blue Baboon.
Pissoffloser

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
Pfft. I never graduated college.
Now quit sidestepping and tell me what's your pipeline to the True Word of God?
I'm sure you've got some of the Topix Atheist! awesomeness gene in you...

My pipeline is knowledge. Pure knowledge.

And a gut feeling.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
That's a low percentage.
I'd say that three is a high estimate.

But I'll defer to your wisdom on this matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 185,101 - 185,120 of223,064
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••