Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#193061 Dec 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> For a cuckold monkey pussed penguin, you sure do post a lot.
Bwaha. Good one.

Gym lost his place in his answer book.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#193062 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What actually happened is enough force was brought to bear on the subject to convince people that the god-endowed rights enshrined in the Declaration applied to blacks.
I see. And you know this how?
Buck Crick wrote:
Lincoln, in his rebuttal to the Dred Scott decision, said it clearly on June 26, 1857, in Springfield Illinois: "The assertion that “all men are created equal” was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain; and it was placed in the Declaration, not for that, but for future use. Its authors meant it to be, thank God, as it is now proving itself, a stumbling block to those who in after times might seek to turn a free people back into the hateful paths of despotism. They knew the proneness of prosperity to breed tyrants, and they meant when such should re-appear in this fair land and commence their vocation they should find left for them at least one hard nut to crack." More, just to illustrate the brilliant prose of Lincoln: "They have him in his prison house; they have searched his person, and left no prying instrument with him. One after another they have closed the heavy iron doors upon him, and now they have him, as it were, bolted in with a lock of a hundred keys, which can never be unlocked without the concurrence of every key; the keys in the hands of a hundred different men, and they scattered to a hundred different and distant places; and they stand musing as to what invention, in all the dominions of mind and matter, can be produced to make the impossibility of his escape more complete than it is."
Sure, but what evidence is there that anybody but Lincoln thought this, or that this idea mattered at all?

In any event, all that was necessary was for compassionate people to do the right thing because of an innate sense of fairness. No gods are necessary, and no gods were needed.

Or maybe you think that some people needed to believe a god supported the idea to go ahead with it. If so, that's just another example of religion solving a problem of its own making. If nobody believes in gods, nobody needs their approval.

I don't see anything in the history of America or of personal political freedoms and rights that needs a god endorsement. We'll be fine without it if we can get past the Neocons, who have no use for rights for anybody except a privileged class, and just as helpless with it if we can't.

Location hidden

#193063 Dec 16, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
You think it takes belief to not believe?
So when you're talking on your pineapple, do you hear a voice in it? Talking back to you?
No. To not believe is agnosticism.

Atheism is to believe.

"Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist" -(The World Book Encyclopedia)

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#193064 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't express an opinion.
I expressed facts.
That would be your opinion. What you are stating are not facts. You've picked one word out of the declaration and made a statement that this country was founded on that one word. That is incorrect and simply your personal opinion.

Fennario

#193065 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You and Gym promulgate a bald-faced lie. The civil rights movement began in christian churches, led most prominently by an ordained evangelical preacher, who declared the principle of god-endowed rights.
Sure, Buck. Whatever you say. Your opinion is like fact to me. You know that.
Buck Crick wrote:
Earlier, against slavery, it was the seminary-trained leaders like Henry Ward Beecher, Harriet Beecher Stowe, William Wilberforce, Elijah Lovejoy, and on and on.
Where would we be without the enlightened compassion of the church?
Buck Crick wrote:
Secular humanism had not one goddamned thing to do with it.
Of course it didn't. The bible is all we need.

Location hidden

#193066 Dec 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Please share with me where you found this information.
You can learn it by reading.

And it is accurate.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193067 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You left out Junk DNA.
Intelligent Design researchers were instrumental in debunking that one.
[two thumbs up]

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#193068 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you and they are not atheists.
If you are atheists, you have a belief - that no god exists.
Laffin. You were born an atheist. And remain one to this day.

Fennario

#193069 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The gay issue is not an equal rights issue. Gays have the same rights as straights. That issue is one of inventing a new right - to marry the same sex.
They're just whining sissies, huh?

And morons. They already have the rights they're fighting for, right Buck?

Seriously, Buck, there is no issue we seem to be able to discuss without our most basic premises being in conflict. We shouldn't attempt to debate - just give our opposite opinions and move on.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193070 Dec 16, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I'm guessing you missed your buddies claim that Moses, like Jesus, never existed?
Apparently they admire the policies created in the Ministry of Truth, deny, erase, rewrite. Revisionist history is the new thing for those think that fantasy can be made reality if repeated long, loud and forcefully enough.
My buddies say Moses existed. It must be your Klan that said he didn’t exist.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#193071 Dec 16, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Blacks in Africa started the American slave trade when they offered up their own slaves, neighbors, friends and relatives to white merchants who were trading there.
There were no black slaves in the merchant's original homelands of Germany and England. They sure as fk didn't bring them "from" anywhere but Africa. American descendants of American slaves should go to Africa and hunt down the descendants of the race traitors who sold their family out and try and get "restitution" from them and see how well that goes over. About as well as it went here, I suspect.
Slavery was abolished over a hundred years ago in America, there are no longer any people living who ever suffered the ignoble state of being a slave, they've never felt the lash of a whip or cane. People need to move on and get the fk over it just like they do in other countries that used to practice slavery.
It wasn't just white merchants that bought/traded slaves. They were sold around the world by nearly every major civilization.

The Spanish and South American countries had a huge market in the slave trades.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193072 Dec 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that YOU think Gods words are in the bible, and since I reject your belief in God, then the only conclusion one can come to is the words in the bible are actually those of men.
So are you implying that the words and instructions found in your bible are NOT directed at Christians? This is supposed to be a book that ALL Christians center their lives around, were they draw their morality from, a book that they immerse their children in, a holy book around which they build their lives. So am I to understand that any instructions contained in the bible are NOT directed at Christians?
You didn't answer my question, but yes that's what's you are to believe.

Because it's true.

Lemme try it this way.... This is a law from Virginia, does it still apply?

"...it is declared and enacted by this Assembly that moderate corporal punishment inflicted by master or magistrate upon a runaway servant shall not deprive the master of the satisfaction allowed by the law..."

I'm 100% positive that you'll say no, that law doesn't apply to Virginians any more.

But why not?

"It's written!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#193073 Dec 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
They're just whining sissies, huh?
And morons. They already have the rights they're fighting for, right Buck?
Seriously, Buck, there is no issue we seem to be able to discuss without our most basic premises being in conflict. We shouldn't attempt to debate - just give our opposite opinions and move on.
He's right, you know.

He said the issue is fighting for a new right - the right to marry the same sex.

Then you say they already have the rights they're looking for....

Whut?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193074 Dec 16, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You are the hands down Champion of avoiding a direct question. It's a dead giveaway that you have absolutely NO answer to the question. And the reigning Champion is..........Eagle 12
Thank you Doctor for your kind words.[tipping hat].
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#193075 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Not merely opinion.
Teaching intelligent design is unconstitutional: this is the legally binding opinion of a Republican christian judge appointed by GWB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Jones_II...
<quoted text>
You never addressed the issues of fraud in science.

You do understand the word “fraud?”

Evolutionary science has been chocked full of fabrications and faked data.

Is that ok that faked and fraudulent information was taught to kids?

Fraud as in Haeckel's Fraud?

Archaeoraptor liaoningensis?

Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten?

Hesperopithecus haroldcookii or Nebraska man?

Don't run away my man, answer the questions.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#193076 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Eternal life?
Given the life will be worth living that long.
.. nope, not a Klondike Bar of the guarantee of eternal life ..

.. first poster to get it correct receives a nude photo ..
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193077 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Doctor for your kind words.[tipping hat].
I'm not sure why you think my accusations of you being to cowardly to answer a direct question are "kind words."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193078 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You never addressed the issues of fraud in science.
You do understand the word “fraud?”
Evolutionary science has been chocked full of fabrications and faked data.
Is that ok that faked and fraudulent information was taught to kids?
Fraud as in Haeckel's Fraud?
Archaeoraptor liaoningensis?
Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten?
Hesperopithecus haroldcookii or Nebraska man?
Don't run away my man, answer the questions.
"The nice thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#193079 Dec 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't just white merchants that bought/traded slaves. They were sold around the world by nearly every major civilization.
The Spanish and South American countries had a huge market in the slave trades.
And of course this is justification for the immorality of owning another human being? Everyone else does it so it's ok? If even ONE person owned another it would be WRONG. It was wrong in the bible and it's still wrong!!!

The bible got the easiest moral question that humanity has ever faced WRONG!!!! Slavery. What are the odds that the bible got something as complicated as human sexuality wrong? Probably 100%

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#193080 Dec 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. nope, not a Klondike Bar of the guarantee of eternal life ..
.. first poster to get it correct receives a nude photo ..
That photo has to be of you.

To escape this life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min Dogen 61,792
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 28 min Dogen 2,794
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr Uncle Sam 100
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 5,973
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web