Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192856 Dec 16, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>

Once again, you prove with your own dishonesty that you worship Satan.
Hush, Tard!
Oh no!

A third person has the book!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#192857 Dec 16, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"21:17 Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.
21:18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,
21:19 Or a man that is broken-footed, or broken-handed,
21:20 Or crookbacked, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;
21:21 No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." - Lev.(KJV).
You forgot this part.

Leviticus 21:

22 "He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy."

Oh in your biased reporting you forgot to mention Mephibosheth. The young man who was disabled and was given a place at the Kings table.

2 Samuel 4:4
And Jonathan, Saul's son, had a son that was lame of his feet. He was five years old when the tidings came of Saul and Jonathan out of Jezreel, and his nurse took him up, and fled: and it came to pass, as she made haste to flee, that he fell, and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth.2 Samuel 4:3-5 (in Context) 2 Samuel 4 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations 2 Samuel 9:6
Now when Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, was come unto David, he fell on his face, and did reverence. And David said, Mephibosheth. And he answered, Behold thy servant!2 Samuel 9:5-7 (in Context) 2 Samuel 9 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations 2 Samuel 9:10
Thou therefore, and thy sons, and thy servants, shall till the land for him, and thou shalt bring in the fruits, that thy master's son may have food to eat: but Mephibosheth thy master's son shall eat bread alway at my table. Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192858 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no!
A third person has the book!
It'll be a Topix Atheist! best seller before you know it.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#192859 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No, because intelligent design is a fabrication.
<quoted text>
I don’t think you see the irony in your statement. I know what you meant but the word “fabrication,” also means to construct, construction, manufacture and to build.

Intelligent design is all about God building and constructing. From the very beginning by programming the first cell with DNA to what we have today.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#192860 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are on no ground.
They reasoned that God created us equal, and endowed us with rights.
In other words, they reasoned that our rights come from God.
REASON ITSELF WAS NOT THE RATIONALE
Did the synthesis of the document and rules require reason? Yes. Sure.
But...
REASON WAS NOT THE RATIONALE
Thomas Jefferson:
"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have lost the only FIRM BASIS, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the GIFT OF GOD?"
<emphasis added>
.. if liberty is a GIFT OF GOD, why did the institution of slavery continue? Why did Jefferson buy child slave labor for his nail factory and rob children of their liberty? Was this a reflection of the mind of God or a means to enrich Jefferson's estate ??..

.. some humans truly believe they're capable of understanding the mind of God, of revelation. The net result? Religious passion destroys the power to reason ..

.. brain power was required to draft the constitution, the ability to reason. At that time in history, God was a God of reason. Thus reason was the primary motivator behind the constitution. Whether is was a GIFT OF GOD or the power of humans to reason is not a matter for debate. Reason, critical thinking skills, created the American Constitution ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#192861 Dec 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No, because intelligent design is a fabrication.
<quoted text>
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t think you see the irony in your statement. I know what you meant but the word “fabrication,” also means to construct, construction, manufacture and to build.
Intelligent design is all about God building and constructing. From the very beginning by programming the first cell with DNA to what we have today.
Good call.

It takes a rational and analytical mind to see the irony in his post.

A fabrication indeed...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192862 Dec 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Can we agree that Topix atheists have failed to adequately support their supposition that there is no deity?
Very few of us say that.

What we have supported is atheism, or the nonacceptance of insufficiently supported god claims. It is a reasonable position.

And we have demonstrated logically that gods that are described in mutually contradictory ways must be nonexistent - you know, the married bachelor kind..

But even if we could prove that there was no god? Which group would be affected by the knowledge - faith based thinkers, evidence based thinkers, both or neither?

Neither. Evidence based thinkers already don't believe in or worship gods, and faith based thinkers aren't affected by proofs.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#192863 Dec 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. both slave owners and abolitionists were Christians; but, ultimately, slavery was inconsistent with the reasoning found in the constitution ..
.. again, we're left with, "What does the bible say?" It's ambiguous, open to interpretation ..
.. the bible as a poor measure of morals; it's antiquated and humans must be liberated from the tribal wars found in Abrahamic religions where God dons different disguises to retain power ..
P.S. Thanks for not calling me a moron. How about a nickname? Don't I deserve one? Be creative, we count on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indentured_serva...

Civilizations created complex social systems. Slavery was a forced caste system from way, way back that supplied labor and also saved lives of the conquered, or of those that just had nothing to support themselves on. This is still done today. There were articles on CNN the last few days about women in Cambodia selling their daughters into prostitution because they have nothing. It is done everywhere still. It is not a religious thing, per se. Economics and social class.

As you will note the indentured servitude above had its economic advantages over slavery. The hiring of immigrants in this country, and others, replaced even that. Cheap labor competing for survival. Very economical. The Yankees loved it. This is still done today. Liberal Americans hire illegals. In the old days a Greek or Roman would get a slave to do the menial work they didn't have the time or inclination to do. But they also incurred obligations along with the investment. Slaves weren't cheap. Now you hire Mexicans or whatever is the current immigrant population and dispose of at will. It used to be Irish.

Over time each group of slaves or immigrants work their way into the society. The first ones were the one that paid the biggest price for the new found opportunities for their children. This is one of the objections to illegal immigration of today. People swarming into an established system and demanding rights and privileges.

But the need for labor created an industry of providing them. Slave raiders. You didn't need a war, just people that weren't an organized resistance. The Romans did this as well as Europeans, and other parts of the world, to supply the labor. During our colonial period Africa was the one weak and defenseless to such things, as were Amerindians and even enemy Europeans. There were a few French and British sold into slavery.

Slavery was/is a de facto economic reality. The opposition to it began with religious groups of the Christian faith, not secular humanism. This then grew and became the world standard. No more institutional slavery.

Besides, the burgeoning world population provided cheaper alternatives.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#192864 Dec 16, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone knows intelligent design isn't an opinion, its simple fraud and religious propoganda.
"Everyone?"

Fraud as in Haeckel's Fraud?

Archaeoraptor liaoningensis?

Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten?

Hesperopithecus haroldcookii or Nebraska man?

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#192865 Dec 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm supposed to question what "science" says about it right?
Back to the original subject though. Just because some of the founding fathers had a belief in a deity doesn't mean that said deity exists. This country was not founded on the belief in a God...this country was founded on the idea of equality for all.
The first rush of English colonists came here to escape religious presecution.

Too bad their descendants will likely flee here for the same reason.

Location hidden

#192866 Dec 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. if liberty is a GIFT OF GOD, why did the institution of slavery continue? Why did Jefferson buy child slave labor for his nail factory and rob children of their liberty? Was this a reflection of the mind of God or a means to enrich Jefferson's estate ??..
.. some humans truly believe they're capable of understanding the mind of God, of revelation. The net result? Religious passion destroys the power to reason ..
.. brain power was required to draft the constitution, the ability to reason. At that time in history, God was a God of reason. Thus reason was the primary motivator behind the constitution. Whether is was a GIFT OF GOD or the power of humans to reason is not a matter for debate. Reason, critical thinking skills, created the American Constitution ..
Reason created it.

The basis and rationale was god-given rights.

They could find no other basis for equality of rights.

And to your question on Jefferson and slavery - it happened because he was a hypocrite.

But the principle remains.

Location hidden

#192867 Dec 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Very few of us say that.
What we have supported is atheism, or the nonacceptance of insufficiently supported god claims. It is a reasonable position.
And we have demonstrated logically that gods that are described in mutually contradictory ways must be nonexistent - you know, the married bachelor kind..
But even if we could prove that there was no god? Which group would be affected by the knowledge - faith based thinkers, evidence based thinkers, both or neither?
Neither. Evidence based thinkers already don't believe in or worship gods, and faith based thinkers aren't affected by proofs.
That's not what atheism is.

Atheism has nothing to do with god claims.

Atheism is the belief that there are no gods.

Atheists are faith-based thinkers, no less than theists.

With Established Harem

#192868 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what the abolitionists said.
They said it was inconsistent with being "created equal" by "nature's God", which is in the Declaration.
And they had to amend the Constitution to set it right. 3 times, actually.
Most of my nicknames are derogatory. I don't have that urge with you.
Have a nice day,...Nappy Leghairs.
.. you drain my brain. I'm done thinking for the day, the need to space-off has arrived ..

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#192869 Dec 16, 2013
"The Spanish government enacted the first European law abolishing colonial slavery in 1542, although this law was not widely enforced. Later, in the 17th century, English Quakers and evangelical religious groups condemned slavery (by then applied mostly to Africans) as un-Christian;"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolitionism
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#192870 Dec 16, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot hide what your religion did to civil rights, no matter how hard your try.

How the memory lapses on Atheist.

Never mentioning that the Children of Abraham were also slaves for 400 years. Also not mentioning that Joseph was also sold as a slave.

The words of Moses,“Let my people go,” became a rallying cry during the civil rights movement of the 50’s -60’s.

Location hidden

#192871 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Everyone?"
Nice nicknames. I'm humbled.

Location hidden

#192872 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Everyone?"
You left out Junk DNA.

Intelligent Design researchers were instrumental in debunking that one.

With Established Harem

#192873 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
.. do I need to post my inquiry for the third time ??..

.. it's OK, I understand why you don't want to interact with me; you're not alone ..

.. most Christians refuse to traverse that freeway, it's rather congested ..

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#192874 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Yes, using these forums for scanning to find the dangerous nut cases could prove beneficial.
They can set up topics that draw them, and create personas to push buttons and elicit responses. Then locate them.
I believe many of those schools shooters and others that went off the deep end have had presences on the net ranting and raving.
This is surely something some agency or whatever has deployed already.
The neurotics may get a little concerned and paranoid about such monitoring, the worst they would do is just behave themselves. But the serious psychos wouldn't stop. They would tend to try and show they can outsmart those trying to catch them.
You mean like the asshat who admits that he enthusiastically agrees with the, "The only illuminating church is a burning one.", quote he repeatedly posts?

I wonder how many acolytes he's talked into arson, the loon.

Location hidden

#192875 Dec 16, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fabrication involves intelligent design.

Could it be Gym is so fucking stupid, he tried to slur supporters of ID with a lie, but instead, he told the truth by mistake?

What do you think?

I think he is definitely stupid enough for that.

He's under the Buck Cone of Silence. Too stupid for me to talk to.

He, Crhissy, and BeenAssFucked are copying posts from the same book.

I found it annoying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min tha Professor 1,030
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Gillette 5,946
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Pahu 1,422
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 23 hr thetruth 14,445
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism Tue thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Tue Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE