Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258464 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192699 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
There is no objective basis for morals.
Buck Crick wrote:
Is that objectively true? If so, then your humanist morals are based on an objective truth. Your objective truth is that there is no objective truth. So the basis of your morals is that it's basis does not exist. Therefore, the superiority of humanist morals lies in them being not superior, so they are superior.
Oh, yeah. I forgot. Good rebuttal.

OK - there's a god..

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#192700 Dec 15, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Dammit, Dave, you led me to believe there might finally be some intelligent discourse over here, but all I see are the same old militant church burners.
wtf
Sorry, sir.

Fennario

#192701 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
Most Christian online responses to atheism are violent threats. Either instructions for suicide, openly advocating murder, or threats of eternal torture.
But he loves you.
That's phase III

Phase I is specious philosophical argumentation presented in a pseudo-scholarly demeanor until frustration ensues.

Then comes phase II - the "You have no proof" and "my faith is strong," often with scripture, and criticisms of atheism using Stalin or Pol Pot - until anger ensues.

Phase III is decompensation - profanity, personal insults, and/or threats or divine retribution

We just saw this with lightbeamrider, whose post began with a philosophical discussion of justice and accountability, then on to Stalin, and then ended with "chickenshit." The process usually occurs over days, but took him minutes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#192702 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Since the atheist does not believe their rights come from God then they have to believe their rights come from men. They therefore have no objective basis to oppose slavery and can only rely on personal or group opinion.
What are you claiming is your objective basis for opposing slavery?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Slavery was practiced for thousands of years and was the norm up until the civil war. That means there was plenty of precedent.
That's your objective basis for opposing slavery? If not, will we be getting to it?
lightbeamrider wrote:
The South argued for the humane treatment of slaves. Whipping was normal punishment both for slaves and others. Nothing unusual for that time and place. They handled things differently back in the day. Why is this so difficult for you? You did not live in their circumstances or their time.
I'm still waiting. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you not only have no objective basis for opposing slavery, you're not even going to try to answer the question, just deflect from it.

Fennario

#192703 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Who the hell are you to look down your nose at those who lived before you and the way they lived their lives?
So you think that we should apply relative or situational ethics here, and judge the past differently, do you?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Southern slaves were actually better off than many who were free and had nothing per the link provided earlier which you did not read?
Are you planning to provide us with your objective basis for opposing slavery? You seem to be singing its praises now.
lightbeamrider wrote:
Slavery is obsolete. To have slaves you had to house feed and take care of them and their children which meant they had to be educated. Today we have part time minimum wage workers which is far more efficient. They do not have to be housed or taken care of. With a large slave class there was always the possibility of slave revolt which happened twice in the Old Testament. Do you know where? That means you need a large police force to watch out for slave revolt. Slavery is obsolete.
Yikes. Is this your basis for opposing slavery - paying minimum wage and letting the poor fool go feed, house and clothe himself is cheaper? You may be right. But are we still discussing morality and rights now?

Fennario

#192704 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Your sanctimonious opposition is sickening since you admit you have no objective basis for any of it.
Thanks for sharing your philosophy.

In the end, its foundation is nothing better than faith. You have been incapable of making wither a reasonable or a moral argument better than saying that I lack an objective basis for opposing slavery as you defend moral relativism, and then go on to explain the profitability of converting slaves to minimum wage employees.

As I said earlier, I don't see where faith based ethical systems have anything to offer us.

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#192705 Dec 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your philosophy.
In the end, its foundation is nothing better than faith. You have been incapable of making wither a reasonable or a moral argument better than saying that I lack an objective basis for opposing slavery as you defend moral relativism, and then go on to explain the profitability of converting slaves to minimum wage employees.
As I said earlier, I don't see where faith based ethical systems have anything to offer us.
They have grape juice and crackers. That's something, at least.

I wrote more but Topix said, "No, No, No. You can't say that with those words".

I think it was the Biteme and drink my blood part. I can't say biteorkick on Topix.

Fennario

#192706 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
I asked you a valid question and you resort to a personal attack.
Did he call you chickenshit or pathetic - your answer when I asked you what your objective basis for opposing slavery was?

Seriously, weren't you promised gifts of the spirit if you had faith? What happened to yours? Are you not concerned at all that the promise of heaven and an afterlife comes from the same source as that promise?

I'm telling you that there really is something to this evidence and reason thing that you lose with faith. Imagine having that kind of faith in somebody that you were considering going into business with or investing a large amount of money in such that you caught welching on his promises. Would evidence and reason matter in that setting? If you say yes, then maybe you already know what I'm talking about. If you say no, well, good luck in life. You'll need it.

Fennario

#192707 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The Constitution is the guard rails. At least what's left of it, after 50 years of liberals eroding it.
Liberals like George Bush, right?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

Fennario

#192708 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
First off none of this is practiced in Hebrew society anymore. 2. Christians view the Old through the lens of the New. You must think these ancients should operate in accordance with 21st century American values when they lived 3000+ years ago. Completely different circumstances, customs.
Is this the objective morality you were talking about? Did your god evolve as well?
lightbeamrider wrote:
How stupid is that.
I see that you still haven't gotten your spiritual gifts.

You did, however, throw out your natural gifts - your faculty for reason and your faculty for conscience. You've substituted faith for reason, and a cruel, ancient, and irrational ethical system for your innate sense of right and wrong, which would have told you that rape and slavery are wrong.

So what have you received in exchange for all of that if not your promised gifts? Another promise that also doesn't have to be kept?
lightbeamrider wrote:
You quote Deut. 22:28 and ignore the fact v.25 carries with it the death sentence for rapist. There are two explicit examples of rape in the Old and in both cases the rapists were killed. Rape of Dinah in Gen.34 and the rape of Tamar in 2 Sam. 13. Non virgins were not considered marriage material. Females had few options. The rapist was stuck taking care of the female for the rest of her life. Even if she hated him, he had to take care of her.
I provided you with several examples of scripture authorizing nonconsensual sexual relations with women. Your answer was that times were different then. Now you add that some rapes were not OK, and that in other cases, if the men married the women, all was fine.

Sorry, but humanistic ethics run circles around that.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#192709 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>That's odd.

My computer says it was made by a company called "Apple".

The CEO of Apple is a guy named Tim Cook.

I think you and I should contact Mr. Cook and let him know that "Science" is making computers and putting his company's name on them.

That is product infringement, and it is illegal.

They won multiple millions from a company called Samsung for that very act.

Thank you, Shit-for-Brains, for bringing this to my attention.

There might be a reward.
Is the reward getting to read your posts? Because that is no reward.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#192710 Dec 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Hey, Sport, you are probably aware that jumping into a shower of 160 degree F water is likely to be quite painful, and a real uncomfortable experience. Now, armed with this knowledge you can convince yourself that you can overcome that and jump into and then back out. Give it a try. Turn the water on until it is all hot and turn off. Then step into the shower and turn that water on. All prepared to jump out. You will understand reality very shortly. You just thought you knew something.
<quoted text>
And that will will teach him what how? That being scalded is painful? You always have such excellent advice, Dave.
It will teach him that his knowledge and expectation his "conscious" mind will be in control doesn't work real well when the reality of death kicks in. He is going to freak at least a bit.

You miss lots of obvious things.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192711 Dec 16, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm supposed to question what "science" says about it right?
Back to the original subject though. Just because some of the founding fathers had a belief in a deity doesn't mean that said deity exists. This country was not founded on the belief in a God...this country was founded on the idea of equality for all.
Thanks, but I'll believe my eyes.

Location hidden

#192712 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Liberals like George Bush, right?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
He played a cameo role.

The real stars of the show chip away at it by inventing and recording court precedent.

Location hidden

#192713 Dec 16, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's your objective basis for opposing slavery? If not, will we be getting to it?
<quoted text>
I'm still waiting. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you not only have no objective basis for opposing slavery, you're not even going to try to answer the question, just deflect from it.
I can give you the American constitutional basis for opposing it.

It is, as you know, as the founders said, as ML King Jr. said, the principle of equality via creation by God.

That may not be totally objective, but it is the most successful.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#192714 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the nicest thing you ever said about me.
What makes you think I would talk about you behind your back? Really you just are not worth it.

Have you ever considered a whole sentence without screwing it up with you inanity and making yourself look ignorant?

Location hidden

#192715 Dec 16, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the reward getting to read your posts? Because that is no reward.
Yeah. Sometimes I am in awe of myself.

Or was it really me?

That illustration of how science does nothing just came to me, as if a gift from heaven.

Jim

UK

#192716 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, but I'll believe my eyes.
Magic is no substitute for science
Jim

UK

#192717 Dec 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can give you the American constitutional basis for opposing it.
It is, as you know, as the founders said, as ML King Jr. said, the principle of equality via creation by God.
That may not be totally objective, but it is the most successful.
Equality exists without god you're just projecting your delusion again.

Location hidden

#192718 Dec 16, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think I would talk about you behind your back? Really you just are not worth it.
Have you ever considered a whole sentence without screwing it up with you inanity and making yourself look ignorant?
Yeah. I have even considered paragraphs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 46 min hardscrabble 341
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 58 min John 30,013
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min Aura Mytha 69,625
Evidence for God! (Oct '14) 1 hr John 575
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Dogen 3,765
News Atheism and cowardice (Nov '11) 13 hr Eagle 12 12,668
News The rise of militant atheism (Sep '09) 21 hr online reality bu... 9,236
More from around the web