Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192625 Dec 15, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
My conditional proof has three premises, which are present in both iterations.
I removed "you say" from the second because it does not matter who says it or if it's said at all.
Bull shit.

The first iteration has a different subject - a description.("If you say Tom...)

The "you say" is a description - analogous to the original subject - biblical descriptions.

You removed that subject entirely from the second iteration.

Not only did you abandon your main assertion, you also rendered your proof meaningless.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192626 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
It goes to show how self-important the religious mind can become when under delusion, thinking that surviving death was 'meant to be' and has 'significance' outside your vile ego.
No. It is actually more egotistical to think it has no significance outside your ego.

A person could die from falling from your ego down to your IQ.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192628 Dec 15, 2013
davy wrote:
No evidence for the Exodus of the Jews.
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192629 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, another threat from Time itself. Shaking in my boots.
I'll go out on a limb here, and predict your next post will be similar to this one.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#192630 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Very good, exept for the deep self loathing. That's a nice pic, youre my kinda forum gal. Hows , work school? Did you fix the washer yet?
Work school?

I fix everything. Why waste money on a new box when I can buy a part? It's not rocket surgery.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192631 Dec 15, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Science is not a religion, and that's what Dawkins trusts in. There is no connection to church and state in this example.
If you say so.

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism."

"It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

-Richard Lewontin, geneticist, leading world spokesman for evolution, The New York Review, p. 31, 9 January 1997.

"‘Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion—a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint—and Mr Gish is but one of many to make it—the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

‘… Evolution therefore came into being as a kind of secular ideology, an explicit substitute for Christianity.’

-Michael Ruse, professor of philosophy and zoology at the University of Guelphl; National Post, pp. B1,B3,B7 May 13, 2000.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192632 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry to belittle your near death experience by calling it a monkey tripping on acid.
However, the moment you came to, and started babbling about how almost dying has personal meaning to you and significance, this was the moment you should have been slapped into reality.
They should have grabbed you by the ears and shouted in your face "No, you f*cking idiot, you've just been in an accident and have brain trauma. The human mind is a complicated washing machine of emotions, realities and thoughts. You did not meet god, you were tripping out and need to sit the f*ck down and recover from your accident son. Cos that's what the brain does when it goes through extreme experiences. You make the meaning yourself you twit."
And then you wouldn't even be in this forum you'd be moving on with your life. F*ck people get paid to deliver these types of ephiphanys and you're getting it for free in an Atheism forum...
Next time you have 2 seconds, English Woodchuck Face, tell us everything you know about NDEs.

...Scares the shit out of you, though, doesn't it?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192633 Dec 15, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but apparently his statement wasn't detailed enough for you. Science has given Apple the opportunity to make a computer for you, and if it weren't for the use of Science Apple would not have been able to make your computer for you to happily use now.:) Is that better???
A little.

It is people using the knowledge of science that accomplish these things.

People. Imagination. Innovation. Heard of these?

Surely you have at least heard of "people".

You see, Intensive Care Unit, science doesn't do anything. It is not like a deity or another element in the universe. It has no brain, no central nervous system.

I know people get carried away with their worship and rituals when it comes to science.

But let's keep it real.
Jim

UK

#192634 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time you have 2 seconds, English Woodchuck Face, tell us everything you know about NDEs.
...Scares the shit out of you, though, doesn't it?
Your fear of atheism is showing. Do you really think you can cover up what happened today?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192635 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean counter-opinionals, don't you? What you call facts are still your opinions at this point. You've been making this claim, but not feeling any burden to raise its status above the level of things-Buck-believes.
We've discussed this recently, and you indicated that you were satisfied to leave your opinions as such and have others who haven't already looked into it to do their own research to discover if there is any truth in them.
Anyway, if anybody asks me what you believe on the issue, I am now prepared to answer them.
Historical fact. No opinion included.
Jim

UK

#192636 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll go out on a limb here, and predict your next post will be similar to this one.
Now now, don't act like your religion hasn't been saying the same tired old shite for centuries.
Jim

UK

#192637 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Hey don't vent on me because youre a thalidomide baby.
More christian love from the moral butchers.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192638 Dec 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Work school?
I fix everything. Why waste money on a new box when I can buy a part? It's not rocket surgery.
Would you fix me.......... an americano
Jim

UK

#192639 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you say so.
"Our willingness to accept scientific claims...droool, drip drip drip"
Evolution denial is a sort of like a disease amongst the idiot-religious.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192640 Dec 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Does that mean that unbelievers who consider that god imaginary should reject the Constitution because it has no naturalistic or humanistic foundation?
If not, why not?
No, because the principle is that all citizens are of the same Creator, and enjoy the same protections, whether they personally believe the same or differently. There is no accompanying requirement to believe anything. Freedom of conscience.

Jim

UK

#192641 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I know people get carried away with their worship and rituals when it comes to science.
But let's keep it real.
Look how buck has to paint obvious religious words like 'worship' and 'ritual' onto science, before he is able to ridicule it.
Jim

UK

#192642 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Historical fact. No opinion included.
Your religion doesn't have any facts on its side, funny how you try so hard to make it seem important.
Jim

UK

#192643 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Would you fix me.......... an americano
We can't really fix people who run scared at the sight of The Origin Of The Species.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192644 Dec 15, 2013
<quoted text>
I recommend the opposite. Calling the rights natural, objective, or god-given elevates them to a status beyond questioning
<quoted text>
That has always been true and always will be.
You need people of a certain temperament and value system in charge for a society to flourish. I recommend against choosing faith based thinkers with ancient systems. I think the humanists do a much better job.
Not so. The Constitution is the guard rails.

At least what's left of it, after 50 years of liberals eroding it.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192645 Dec 15, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It says nature's God, not man's God. Aside from all of that.... the belief in a God is still just a belief. It does not make a God fact, nor does it imply that any or all people should share this same belief.:)
So man is not nature?

That's brilliant. Simply brilliant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 34 min Science 79,744
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 2 hr Superwilly 28
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Sun Dogen 32,575
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sat blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web