Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192406 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No direct evidence of abuse was found, as admitted by the ATF and FBI..
That's incorrect. unless you meant before the raid

"At the age of 10, Jewell testified, she was summoned to bed by Koresh and forced to have sex. She said she was about 7 when she was first told she would become one of his "wives" one day. Jewell also reported on his obsession with guns and his visions of apocalyptic battles. Davidians were told how to shoot themselves dead."
http://articles.dailypress.com/1995-07-21/new...

"Jewell became Koresh's youngest "bride" when she was just 10, and would later testify in Congress that Koresh molested her at a motel. She told Primetime she was not upset at the time. "I had been trained from a very early age that this was a good thing," she said. "
http://www.culteducation.com/reference/waco/w...

This indirect evidence supports that (thanks to Rosa for the links):

"Dr. Perry said that though the children seemed highly protective of the cult's secrets, "Over the course of two months, the kids became increasingly open about 11- and 12-year-old girls being David's wives." He said it was also clear in these conversations that the status of "wife" included having sex with Mr. Koresh. Under Texas law, sex by an adult with girls under the age of 17 is statutory rape, a felony."
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/04/us/growing-...

Fennario

#192407 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Koresh was likely a nut and a jerk.
A nut and a jerk? Mel Gibson is a nut and a jerk. Tom Cruise is a nut an a jerk. David Koresh was a pedophilic ,megalomaniacal, cultic, apocalyptic psychopath, and this extremely watered down description of him might be your first mention of any problem with him. Like Zsa.Zsa Gabor, Koresh was a nut and a jerk.

Why do keep deflecting from Koresh to the ATF and FBI? Is anybody here trying to defend their actions? I think that we can all agree that there were problems with the law enforcement procedures, although it's still not clear to me what they were or how much culpability Reno or Clinton should be ascribed. Americans - especially Texans - tend to support Rambo mentality. They tacitly consent to police dong whatever they consider necessary just based on the fact of them being police, trusting them, and having a simplistic black and white hats approach to such matters. They also tacitly or explicitly support the idea that a cop killer can be executed in the field.

But apparently not when targets are religious. That's when they convert from anti-criminal mode to anti-government mode, probably because they put white hats on anybody praying, as you appear to be doing here to some extent yourself, stubbornly refusing to acknowledge that this was a cult led by a weapons stockpiling, death obsessed .

and of course, lose all credibility. It's not your principle or conviction if it doesn't apply in every case where it can. If you only roll out and dust off some principle on an ad hoc basis, it's a pseudoprinciple.
Jim

London, UK

#192408 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a ban of Richard Dawkins' publications for school children is appropriate.
Allowing students to read it violates the separation of church and state.
Why is evolution so threatening to your religion? Why are you so scared of knowledge?
Jim

London, UK

#192409 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Tide with Beach wrote:
Bwahahaahahahahah....
Under the slightest scrutiny of logic, his argument is rank nonsense.
Then he moved his goalposts and doubled down.
Your religion is internally inconsistent, that's why its a fraud. What's logically difficult for you here?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#192410 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians use these empty threats to convert stupid & gullible people through fear.
You are one day closer to awareness in your average 25 thousands days . Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, how is that stupid? Gullible are those who bought the lies of the enemy, you know who.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192411 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Straight A's wouldn't get you onto the top five. It would get you into the top 10% or so - over twenty people in my class.
And we were ranked at the end of the classroom phase of our medical educations - the first two years - according to our scores on Part I of the National Medical Boards, which are graded like SATs on a scale of 200-800, not by our classroom grades.
<quoted text>
I don't know what happened to your friend's son, but I would say that applying to only one medical school cost him the year, not affirmative action. Applying to just one school sounds like hubris and lunacy. I was accepted at three of the dozen or so medical schools that I applied to, and my application was competitive.
Perhaps it was affirmative action that hurt me at some of the institution I applied to, but I would have no of knowing that it it were the case, as rejection letters simply say that one was not accepted, not why.
OK. I'll tell him that the year delay from liberal racial discrimination in the admissions process was his fault.

I'll also tell the 4 students that flunked out that they were more qualified than he is, though he is excelling.
Jim

London, UK

#192412 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
Quick Buck troll, make 5 more posts to cover up your embarassment on this page!
Jim

London, UK

#192413 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. I'll tell him that the year delay from liberal racial discrimination in the admissions process was his fault.
I'll also tell the 4 students that flunked out that they were more qualified than he is, though he is excelling.
The simplest explanation is that he didn't get in because he's a jerk. Its always bitter idiots that play the race card in these situations.

Fennario

#192414 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S even_Laws_of_Noah
The Seven Laws of Noah were recognized by the United States Congress in the preamble to the 1991 bill that established Education Day in honor of the birthday of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the leader of the Chabad movement: Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws.[27]
Thanks for this.

Was there a point that went with it?

What those seven laws tell us is that this tradition is NOT the basis for American law. Rather than a ban on [1] idolatry,[2] blasphemy, and [3] "sexual immorality", the Constitution protects idolatry and blasphemy, and most sexual practices among consenting adults.That's 3 out of 7 ignored.

Location hidden

#192415 Dec 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is a Christian. He said so. Why would he lie about that?
I can't think of a single reason.

Bwahaha...

April, 2008:

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Hillary Clinton: "I was taken aback by the demeaning remarks Senator Obama made about people in small-town America. His remarks are elitist and out of touch."

Barack Obama's pastor, who performed his wedding, and baptized his children:

"Goddamn America!!"

Bwahahahahahahahaahha....

Location hidden

#192416 Dec 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>

If you live in America, you live in a nation founded on the belief that rights are endowed by a Creator. You assume that to be God?
No, I would assume it to be Millard Filmore.

Bwahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha h....

"... and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them..."

Bwhahahahahahahah....

Bongo

Coram, NY

#192417 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do people with no evidence for god, keep thinking they are scoring points?
Why do people with no evidence of there being no God think they are scoring points?. Notwithstanding including but not limited to billions of believers ,myriad anecdotal evidence , preponderance of evidence, a greatly blessed nation under God , a best selling book 2000 years running and a minority rouge group called atheists and those bearing the dubious contemporaneous atheist/agnostic moniker , who keep yammering vehemently about something that they claim doesn't exist.

Location hidden

#192418 Dec 15, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to call it that, good! I say that you're swallowing a camel.
I won't deny that Waco could have been better handled. It's easy to say that, 20 years later.
No kidding? There might have been a better result than gassing and burning 80 people alive, and shooting them if they stood by a window?

Wow. Quite a concession.

Apparently, Vince Foster thought so, too.

Location hidden

#192421 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
The simplest explanation is that he didn't get in because he's a jerk. Its always bitter idiots that play the race card in these situations.
But he was not a jerk the following year when he got in?

You are a moron.

Go take a crap in traffic, that is, if you even know when you are crapping.

Location hidden

#192423 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Science finds religion dishonest and manipulative.
Science said that?

How many conversations do you have with Science?

Does he have an accent?

A sense of humor??

Fennario

#192424 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Since the atheist does not believe their rights come from God then they have to believe their rights come from men. They therefore have no objective basis to oppose slavery and can only rely on personal or group opinion.
What are you claiming is your objective basis for opposing slavery?
lightbeamrider wrote:
The group opinion of those in favor of slavery is just as valid if slavery is practiced in a culture.
If you are making an argument for revealed ethics, it's a poor one. Those so-called objective standards weren't up to the job of preventing slavery, which believers thought was moral if their god did. That was no doubt a huge impediment to the elimination of the practice.

It took enlightened people applying compassion rationally in defiance of biblical principle as it was taught and understood to do what people acting under the Old and New Testaments had lived with for millennia, would never have overcome without humanistic rational ethicists.

Fennario

#192425 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Paul also wrote for masters to not mistreat their slaves.
That means release them right? Or does it mean to selfishly work them for just a roof and some gruel without using a whip too often? Christian ethics simply don't impress modern thinkers.
lightbeamrider wrote:
You did not mention that part.
But you did, Did you consider that enlightened?
lightbeamrider wrote:
Topix atheists did not give one rip about slavery except as depicted in Scripture. That is their real agenda. Discredit Scripture and they simply use slavery as an excuse.
You don't know what we think even when we tell you. You only know what you are told about us. And that is because as a faith based thinker, you have no use for evidence.

Location hidden

#192426 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Religitards will never admit being wrong, so your point is...?
Oh. You did not get my point. Sorry.

The religitard said the Declaration refers to "God".

You said it doesn't, but only to a "Creator".

But the Declaration DOES refer to "God".

So therefore, the guy you call a "religitard" is correct, and you are stupid fucking wrong.

This would suggest you as the rightful recipient of some kind of "...tard" reference.

I hope this explanation of my point is helpful.

You dickless moron.
Jim

London, UK

#192427 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You are one day closer to awareness in your average 25 thousands days . Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, how is that stupid? Gullible are those who bought the lies of the enemy, you know who.
You're going to have to do a bit better than threaten me with your delusions. Try evidence.
Jim

London, UK

#192428 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Why do people with no evidence of there being no God think they are scoring points?
I don't know who those people are, Atheists have evidence that there's no god, its called evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr woodtick57 2,407
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr _Bad Company 23,208
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr _Bad Company 163
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 19 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... Sun Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... Sun Thinking 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Dec 20 Yiago 148
More from around the web